• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

percyn.. are you sure that steak is DEAD??

no seriously. That is some very tasty looking steak & fries.. Wish I could have some..

little miss foodie.. that artichoke dish looks so appetizing. But forgive my ignorance: what are raisons?

percyn that steak looks divine! Great colour on the outside, and nice and rare on the inside. Oh yum!

peppyre he drizzled the bacon fat on the salad? Sounds like a keeper! :wink:

Tonight I had:

-veggies (asparagus, cauliflouwer, broccoli and corn...not all cooked together)

-roast beef and gravy

-a huge plate of seafood pasta

-chicken wings

And for dessert: PARTIALLY-FROZEN DURIAN.... :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Helena, I boiled some red potatoes about the size of eggs. Drained them, ran cold water over them. Smashed them up into pieces with the heel of my hand. Got them going in a deep skillet with extra virgin olive oil (Cletos, from the home village of one of my grocers). I seasoned them well with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I flipped them several times, then turned them down to low for about 45 minutes. I brushed clean the cremini and added them during the last hour. I added some dry rosemary. Tossed everything around, added more oil. When I began deboning the roasted chicken I added baby spinach leaves and some fresh rosemary, toss, toss.

I arranged the potatoes in bowls, with a small ladle rapidly lashed a few ribbons of holandaisse over them.

That's it.

Had me going.................Until you said, Dried!

Ha ha ha.

Well, this was during an April when we were using up the last of the herbs dried from the garden the previous autumn.

In any case, I often used dried herbs at the beginning of cooking and fresh herbs a bit before serving to get both a deep and a fresh flavour.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

percyn.. are you sure that steak is DEAD??

no seriously. That is some very tasty looking steak & fries.. Wish I could have some..

little miss foodie.. that artichoke dish looks so appetizing. But forgive my ignorance: what are raisons?

Hi Chufi, raisons are dried grapes. The recipe is French and actually called for dried currants but I didn't have any :wink:

Hi Chufi, raisons are dried grapes. The recipe is French and actually called for dried currants but I didn't have any  :wink:

would that be the same thing as raisins? or am I lost in some dutch-french-english translation mess here?

anyway.. this was our dinner:

gallery_21505_358_1104352148.jpg

braised lamb with white beans

spinach sauteed with red peppers and lots of garlic

dessert:

Nigella Lawson's clementine cake, which is (like she says herself) basically Claudia Roden's orange cake made with clementines:

gallery_21505_358_1104352202.jpg

Helena, I boiled some red potatoes about the size of eggs. Drained them, ran cold water over them. Smashed them up into pieces with the heel of my hand. Got them going in a deep skillet with extra virgin olive oil (Cletos, from the home village of one of my grocers). I seasoned them well with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I flipped them several times, then turned them down to low for about 45 minutes. I brushed clean the cremini and added them during the last hour. I added some dry rosemary. Tossed everything around, added more oil. When I began deboning the roasted chicken I added baby spinach leaves and some fresh rosemary, toss, toss.

I arranged the potatoes in bowls, with a small ladle rapidly lashed a few ribbons of holandaisse over them.

That's it.

Had me going.................Until you said, Dried!

Jinmyo, can I send you some fresh rosemary? I've got a plant as big as a lineman next to my deck.

Ha ha ha.

Well, this was during an April when we were using up the last of the herbs dried from the garden the previous autumn.

In any case, I often used dried herbs at the beginning of cooking and fresh herbs a bit before serving to get both a deep and a fresh flavour.

Jinmyo, can I send you some fresh rosemary from my plant? I've got a rosemary plant as big as an NFL lineman next to the house.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Hi Chufi, raisons are dried grapes. The recipe is French and actually called for dried currants but I didn't have any  :wink:

would that be the same thing as raisins? or am I lost in some dutch-french-english translation mess here?

yes, I'm a horrible speller. Sorry!

Dinner tonight... pork tenderloin medalions breaded and pan fried with parmesean, and what is better with pork than more pork?? carrots with rosemary and sausage. Salad with cucumbers, pomegranate seeds and red onion on the side.

gallery_16100_1_1104378378.jpg

served with vodka tonics and then a pinot noir (OR)

I was inspired by chufi and so tonight's dinner was:

lamb.braise.jpg

Braised lamb with fresh onions, rice with cheese (it turns out very much like risotto but it's not cooked like risotto so I don't call it risotto), and steamed broccoli

I think when eGCI gets going again, someone should offer a course on plating food. God knows I need such a course! :raz:

Man, I hate it when I'm away from this thread for so long. Darn work! Everyone is making awsome food.

Tonight I picked up a thick prime NY strip from the butcher. Seared it rare in my cast iron skillet and served it with herbed butter and roasted root vegetables.

dessert: Profitaroles stuffed with homemade banana-peach ice cream and drizzled with bitter caramel sauce.

gallery_5404_94_1104381249.jpg

gallery_5404_94_1104381814.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Gyozilla Versus Beefra

Lobster and shrimp bisque with silken tofu cubes, scallions, enoki mushrooms.

Fried lobster dumplings with chile oil and lime oil.

Shrimp shumai with steamed watercress.

Steamed Chinese long beans cut into thirds with shaved tarako (salted cod roe) and a salad of purple kale with blood orange vinaigrette.

Lobster and shrimp cakes with a dipping sauce of Mediterranean yogurt buzzed with Indian lime pickle and green chile pickle.

Thinly sliced prime rib glazed with shoyu and garlic rolled around blanched garlic shoots, showered with gomasio.

Sake granita.

The ribs with kalbi sauce.

Gohan with green ntea.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

one of the last days I can cook all day..... :sad:

cocktails served with Land Jaegger, parmesean hunks and crostini (no picture)

braised lamb shanks and twice baked butternut squash which is my DH's favorite. Also did up some chard in garlic and red pepper to try it ( I'm not really a fan of the cooked greens).

gallery_16100_1_1104464034.jpg

Served with a Bandol which was perfect with this hearty meal.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Tonight, we are cooking lobster. We bought a 6.5 and 5.2.

Behold, the 6.5 Pounder:

gallery_2_4_1104540316.jpg

That's a half-sheet pan he's filling up

gallery_2_4_1104540365.jpg

Always look your dinner in the eye

gallery_2_4_1104547083.jpg

Rachel's plate: meat from 1/2 the 6.5 lb lobster, boiled potatoes seasoned with Zatar, butter/lemon sauce, creamed spinach

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I hope these work...

Slices of rare venison topped with a chocolate sauce (with reduced stock), nugget potatoes roasted in duck fat, and morels

gallery_7973_536_1104550171.jpg

Duck rillette on black olive bread (from Terra Breads in Vancouver)

the rest of the bread was served with garlic, olive oil, and anchovies for dipping

gallery_7973_536_1104550132.jpg

For dessert I made creme brulee and we had some chocolates.

• 7 years later...