• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Christmas dinner this year consisted of Prime Rib and well....Prime Rib.

Started off butchering the beast (sorry Neil, I had to)

gallery_18348_513_1104081563.jpg

Then moved on to the Yorkshire puddings and the gravy, which was just some really good demi.

gallery_18348_513_1104081922.jpg

This was my first attempt at Yorkshires, and this is the end result (ignore the cray woman pointing at the dish :raz: )

gallery_18348_513_1104083574.jpg

The Prime Rib out of the oven

gallery_18348_513_1104082529.jpg

It was covered in a rub of english dry mustard, salt and brown sugar.

And of course, every Christmas dinner needs an assortment of veggies, with lots and lots of booze.gallery_18348_513_1104083317.jpg

All in all it was a very good dinner.

Happy Holidays to ALL!!

Judith -

No, although I did get that recipe set. The rolls on Christmas were from a Cinnabon box that my sister made, so I just abstained ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The best Chicken & Dumplings EVER...

in a slow cooker, cooked for about 5 hrs total...chicken softer than I have ever eaten.

The recipe is in The Gourmet Slow Cooker.

Much more low maintenance than Thanksgiving and almost as satisfying (esp. on a sad rainy Portland Christmas).

Oh yeah, marionberry cheescake for dessert.

Yesterday, we had

Freixenet sparkling wine

Shrimp Balls with Guajillo Sauce

Standing Rib Roast

Boursin Potatoes

Brussel Sprouts with walnuts

Carmelized Butternut Squash

Homemade Yeast Rolls

Vino Nobile de Montelpulciano

Creme Brulee with fresh fruit

Stop Family Violence

On Christmas Eve I made the obligatory rib roast, then we went to Big Momma's hse and had a whack at two more rib roasts, then on to little Granny and Grandaddy's house on la prairie with yet another rib roast. Tonight, I believe we shall have salad.

Joyeaux Noel, y'all!

Strange combination that works. Tonight I enjoyed leftovers, had the lobster/shrimp pie Christmas Eve, yesterday with filet mignon, and tonight with one of my gifts, a Coppola Merlot, which is delicous, and actually tastes quite good with the lobster dish. It's a mix of fresh lobster meat, shrimp, ritz and royal lunch crushed crackers, cream, parsley, and butter. So good.

:raz: Pam

Oh, Dessert is a 5 Star Bar from Lake Champlain chocolates. I read about these in Steve Almonds great food book, Candy Freak. Actually, I think it was his essay in Best Food Writing 2004, from the book, that had me drooling, so when I saw these bars in my local Whole Foods I snapped them up. This one is a chunky rich mix of dark chocolate, praline, pecans and cherries.

And of course, every Christmas dinner needs an assortment of veggies, with lots and lots of booze.

gallery_18348_513_1104083317.jpg

Okay, so someone's drinking G&T ... scotch ... can't quite make out what's beside the Lamb's & the Grand Marnier.

I'm amazed you were able to post today! :laugh:

A.

Boxing Day. The Sacred Day of the Blessed Box:

Salad of radicchio and Napa cabbage with olive oil packed tuna and taramasalata and clementine sections.

Salad of blanched sugar snap peas with EVOO and rice wine vinegar.

Roasted brussel sprouts with balsamico and pecorino.

Cubes of scalloped potato with parmesan reg and Fruilano surrounded with watercress.

Blanced asparagus with Normandy cultured butter.

Braised collard green strips with onion and ham cooking liquor.

Buttermilk mashed Yukon Gold potaoes with flat leaf parsley, slices of medium rare to medium well pork shank roast depending upon preferences, sauce of pureed onions roasted along with the shanks with thyme, sage, and Dijon, atop scoop of mashers and mound o' pork, strips of crackling, more thyme sprinkled over.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Bee-yoo-tee-ful, HV. :wub:

Tonight:

Italian sausages from Giacomo's in Greensboro, NC

Melange of onions, mushrooms and peppers, with zinfadel

Ruby Swiss chard with balsamic reduction

Christmas Eve:

-this weird Asian fruit salad with SHRIMP that always shows up on special occasions(I hate fruit and mayo together)

-prime rib, turkey, roast chicken

-stuffing (it was weird...it had SHRIMP in it!)

-scalloped potatoes

-baked yams, brocolli

-pecan pie bars and a chocolate caramel cheesecake (these I made)

-strawberry mousse cake and a chestnut cake (these were bought)

-fruit salad with strawberries, pineapple, honeydew

Christmas Day:

-turkey

-sausage, artichoke, sourdough bread stuffing I made (it contained 4 lbs. of sausage--now THAT'S what I call a stuffing!)

-this mushroom dish with shiitake, enoki, and straw mushrooms

-some sort of pork dish my mom made

-2 kinds of veg, one topped with braised shiitake

-some sort of Chinese soup

-homemade cookies (gingerbread, shortbread, lemon bars, pecan tarts, custard tarts)

Today:

-leftovers

Edited by Ling (log)

gallery_11814_353_1104114983.jpg

Oh Malawry, I agree -- Hillvalley, that looks fantastic! I'm in NY now and after shopping around in Chinatown hooked up some sea bass and prepared them Chinese style, with loads of ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and cilantro. Fragrant fish!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Christmas Dinner at Aunt's house - Heavenly ham, Coleslaw, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, Turkey Gravy, Turkey, Yams, Stuffing, Brisket, Green Beans, Biscuits, Ranch style Texas Beans, Cranberry sauce, ... other stuff I am probably forgetting...did we get enough?

gallery_21049_162_1104168112.jpg

Here is a close-up of the brisket which I had a restaurant smoke overnight...it was yuuummmyyyy...

gallery_21049_162_1104167936.jpg

For Dessert we had Pecan and Apple Pies.

Lots of leftovers that turned into yesterday's dinner....

Note the ham on the salad with roasted beets (which I got at a farmers market, steamed in a pressure cooker and then roasted in the oven)

gallery_21049_162_1104167982.jpg

Also made some lobster stock from the leftover lobster shells we had from Christmas eve and turned it into homemade lobster bisque.

gallery_21049_162_1104168656.jpg

gallery_21049_162_1104168034.jpg

And the brisket leftovers became a brisket sandwich, topped with Tony Roma's BBQ sauce

gallery_21049_162_1104168009.jpg

Cheers

Percy

Edited to add - And we also had some After Dinner Drinks

Edited by percyn (log)

gallery_12371_310_1104111858.jpg

Kobe style beef hamburger topped with pancetta and tator tots

:shock::shock:

that's almost exactly what we had last night. we had uncured american bacon instead of pancetta...but still. eerie.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

We hosted my parents for Christmas eve dinner at our house. My wife, Wendy, set and decorated a beautiful table, glittering with crystal and candles, and I created the menu and prepared the food. Here's what we had:

• Apple and Chestnut Soup with Spiced Cream
  • Spinach, Blue Cheese, and Strawberry Salad with Apple Cider Viniagrette (my mom brought this)
  • Garlic-Stuffed Fillet of Beef over Crispy Potato 'Sandwich' with Classic Bordelaise & Maytag Sabayon
  • Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake with Hazelnut Crunch Crust (cover recipe from a recent edition of Bon App, I think)

It was very nice! We had paired wines with each course, but I don't recall those at the moment. We did have a nice Moscato with the dessert...

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

day-after-christmas party for 15:

hors d'oeuvres - tuna balls, little salmon and avocado wraps, pressed baked potatoes with garlic-parsley mayo, toasts with gorgonzola/pine nut/basil spread.

buffet - penne with butternut squash, sausage, porcini and rosemary

slowroast tomatoes with tarragon

panfried begian endive with balsamic vinegar

sauteed courgettes with basil

green salad with mustard vinaigrette

gallery_21505_358_1104175443.jpg

dessert: chocolate banana trifle and cranberry ginger cake.

The trifle looked very modest before I studded it with the white chocolate curls one guest brought as a gift!

gallery_21505_358_1104175501.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

We hosted my parents for Christmas eve dinner at our house. My wife, Wendy, set and decorated a beautiful table, glittering with crystal and candles, and I created the menu and prepared the food. Here's what we had:

• Apple and Chestnut Soup with Spiced Cream
  • Spinach, Blue Cheese, and Strawberry Salad with Apple Cider Viniagrette (my mom brought this)
  • Garlic-Stuffed Fillet of Beef over Crispy Potato 'Sandwich' with Classic Bordelaise & Maytag Sabayon
  • Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake with Hazelnut Crunch Crust (cover recipe from a recent edition of Bon App, I think)

It was very nice! We had paired wines with each course, but I don't recall those at the moment. We did have a nice Moscato with the dessert...

This meal sounds amazing! Any chance you'd share or direct me to your recipe for the beef? Especially the maytag Sabayon?

:raz: Pam

I'm off work all this week so I'm excited to spend a few afternoons cooking!

Tonight we started with smoked salmon on cucumber rounds with creme fraiche

gallery_16100_1_1104203906.jpg

Followed by Tuscan style shortribs with Balsamic Glaze, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and artichoke hearts stuffed with spinach, raisons and gruyere.

gallery_16100_1_1104203937.jpg

Served with an Erath Dolcetto which went perfectly!

Yay! I'm at my moms house and in a decent kitchen for the next 10 days! yipee! here are two rather boring yet unctous days.

day one:

roast chicken with rosemary potatoes and carrots and roast garlic . Chicken cracklins and mini mushroom custards (morelle and chanterelle).

day two:

I made homeade pasta for the first time.

so chicken noodle soup..with the broth made from the roast.

and

sage brown butter cappelinni (this was amazing and so simple)

I am a happy little clam.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

This meal sounds amazing! Any chance you'd share or direct me to your recipe for the beef? Especially the maytag Sabayon?

Hi Pam! Please check your PM -- I've sent it to you as you requested!

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Steak-Frites

Yesterday I had the urge for some steak and fries. I originally wanted to buy the fries, but wanted them really fresh and crispy...so I knew what that meant...making it myself.

gallery_21049_162_1104247302.jpg

Also made some Asian shrimp wafers, with the residual heat left in the oil.

gallery_21049_162_1104247469.jpg

Helena, I boiled some red potatoes about the size of eggs. Drained them, ran cold water over them. Smashed them up into pieces with the heel of my hand. Got them going in a deep skillet with extra virgin olive oil (Cletos, from the home village of one of my grocers). I seasoned them well with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I flipped them several times, then turned them down to low for about 45 minutes. I brushed clean the cremini and added them during the last hour. I added some dry rosemary. Tossed everything around, added more oil. When I began deboning the roasted chicken I added baby spinach leaves and some fresh rosemary, toss, toss.

I arranged the potatoes in bowls, with a small ladle rapidly lashed a few ribbons of holandaisse over them.

That's it.

Had me going.................Until you said, Dried!

Edited by chefreit (log)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Dinner last night was prepared by the new beau.

FIrst it was Ceasar salad with Avacados and bacon and homemade croutons (he's adding as I'm typing). After the bacon was cooked he Drizzled the Bacon Fat on the salad!! :biggrin:

Then marinated steaks done on the BBQ. Not really sure what was in the marinade but....White vinegar, balsamic EVOO, crushed garlic, worscestshire, black peppercorns, ketchup, HP, Rye Whiskey...It was soo good. Also did an assortment of stir fried veggies and some rice. :biggrin:

Dinner last night for us and DH's buddy, can't really consider him a guest, he eats here too often for that :raz: was a bit of Christmas makeover and a bit of fresh vegs and biscuits.

Started with a cup of split pea and ham soup topped with croutes.

Then . . .

Thick slices of the rarest lamb from Christmas leg, already seasoned well so I just quickly grilled those on my stovetop grill pan in a tiny bit of butter/EVOO. Served with the pan/red wine au jus.

Steamed broccoli drizzled with garlic/lemon butter.

Biscuits made with bleu cheese/sliced scallions/parsley, spread with butter.

The guys drank beer (it was a Monday night football meal) and I had lime water.

For dessert, tangerine slices and wedges of the Christmas apricot/pear/fig-filled gingerbread-newtony thing. (I've got to come up with something to call this. :rolleyes::laugh:) Coffee.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

sick so made soup last night.

bought mushroom broth and simmered it for a while with some shiitake stems i had in my freezer. sauteed garlic, onion and shallot in butter, deglazed with sherry and then added a bunch of sliced creminis. added the lot to the (strained) stock. added cream and blitzed with hand blender for a bit.

served with bread, old cheddar and apple. next time i'll cook the allium longer. it was a little sharp, but comforting and good.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train