• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Glomkie, made with chicken and herbs,(low fat, low sodium) rice, green beans.

Chocolate Chip Cookie, just 1 for dessert. I'm trying to be good.

Thanks for the receipe for the Senegalaise soup!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

thanks chufi. me too. it's cold here...chocolate cardamom rice pudding...did you steep cardamom pods in milk? i love sweets with cardamom

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Susan, I may have missed this earlier in the thread but when you and Russ get fresh oysters how long can you keep them? And how do you keep them? I'm asking because Dayne and I buy fresh oysters periodically and have always been told to use them by the next day. Just wondering!

We get them from the same place in Chincoteague, VA every year -- usually a bushel, where we know how fresh they are. Kept cold and moist, they are good for about a week.

Up north there was never any question about keeping them alive because it was always cold enough to keep them outdoors in the burlap bag, and a couple times a day we wet the burlap bag with the garden hose. The worst thing about live oysters, short of dying/spoiling, is that they tend to dry up... thus, the hosing down of the bag full.

Florida has been a different story and much more labor-intensive! I should say more labor-intensive for Russ, because he is the one who shucks them for eating raw or for storage in the fridge or recipes requiring shucking. While in the shell we keep them in our utililty room sink, not stopped, and we keep adding ice so that they stay cold and moist, and the melting ice keeps draining. This year we had some shucked ahead and stored them in the fridge. We believe that shucked, they would stay fresh at least twice as long as when they are kept live in the shell. However, we eat them all before that amount of time!

Whew... Lots to do. That made me tired just writing about it. I'm so glad I don't know how to shuck them, but I do take my turn at scrubbing them before we steam some or eat them shucked, on the half shell.

It's all worth it.... :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Had a late lunch, so I was looking for a light dinner...thats if you call 2 pieces of Foie Gras light (my wife does not enjoy it and the D'Artagnan package comes with 2 vacuum sealed pieces).

A recent episode of The Thirsty Traveler on the Fine Living Network had an episode where they make foie gras with a sauce made with ice wine (recipe is on foodtv site here), so I had some inspiration.

gallery_21049_162_1101955060.jpg

Scored the foie gras, liberally sprinkled fleur de sel and pepper. Seared each side for 30 sec in a hot non-stick frying pan.

Sauce - 1.5 tbsp Apricot preserves, 1 tbsp demi glace, splash of beef or veal stock, splash of red wine, good size splash (maybe 1/4 cup) of ice wine. Add one ingredient at a time and reduce it down to a thick consistency before adding the next. Monter some butter in at the end and you can add 1 small shallot.

Toast up a slice of french bread (or couple slices of white bread), stack with the foie gras, drissel the sauce and add a few frisse salad leaves. I added a few drops of truffle oil on the salad as well. Experimented by adding some Himalayan pink salt on the 2nd piece - it was good.

Enjoy with some icewine.

Hmmm Hmm good...melts in your mouth.

Cheers

Percy

Percy, that is beautiful! truely...my cat is even licking the screen! :laugh:

Dinner tonight...

Top Sirloin steaks with shallot sauce, onion confit and baked potatoes with garlic, parsely, EVOO butter and creme fraiche. The rest of the bottle of Masi Ripasso Campofiorin 2001 from the other night.

gallery_16100_231_1101961053.jpg

Percyn, that Foie is magnificent

tonight we had homemade falafel with all the fixins including pickled turnips, parsley, mint, radishes, tomatoes, tahine sauce and of course wrapped in pita bread

gallery_5404_94_1101962731.jpg

A little late but here is the photo for the pumpkin "lune" I made a few days ago...

gallery_5404_94_1101962888.jpg

Elie

edit typo

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

gallery_5404_94_1101962888.jpg

What have you garnished that with? green onions? butter?

I've been hankering after something like this for days and I happen to have some steamed and smashed kuri squash in my freezer. Yours looks sooo good, I might just have to make something like it tomorrow for dinner.

What have you garnished that with? green onions? butter?

I've been hankering after something like this for days and I happen to have some steamed and smashed kuri squash in my freezer. Yours looks sooo good, I might just have to make something like it tomorrow for dinner.

They were tossed in butter, sage and dried orange peel.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I new here...so you can have 2 DAYS!

tues.

slow roasted whole duck with duck fatted carrots and roasted elephant garlic...the duck turned out perfect. oohey gooey meat, crispy skin, and just the right layer of fat on the breast. and I didn't burn down my itsy bitsy nyc kichen...

wed. a bit tipsy. had swordfish. decided to make it. might have been good.

cooked swordfish (coated in mayo and mashed roast garlic) in a bit of duck fat decided to throw in the carrots from last night and some swiss cheese..and red chili flakes. made some of those freshdirect parbaked crossaints (so good) served this monstrosity on them, sandwich style with some arugula. wish any of my 4,oooo tomatos were ripe...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I new here...so you can have 2 DAYS!

wed. a bit tipsy. had swordfish.

Welcome to eGullet, Luckylies! We had swordfish as well, a light swish of teriyaki glaze then grilled, served with steamed broccolli and rice.

We have a bit of leftovers, what should I make with the swordfish?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Last night I made a savory mushroom bread pudding that was so good I need to add it to my "regulars" list. I used a pound and a half of sliced mushrooms sauteed with onions, basil, and majorem, layered with buttered sourdough bread and sharp white cheddar. Poured a custard of 2 eggs, sour cream and milk over it, dusted with the obligatory paprika, baked 375 degrees about half an hour or so. My husband, who isn't the biggest fan of mushrooms, ate seconds and raved about it. I also served mashed sweet potatoes flavored with chipotle sauce and lime juice.

tonight we had homemade falafel with all the fixins including pickled turnips, parsley, mint, radishes, tomatoes, tahine sauce and of course wrapped in pita bread

edit typo

FM, is your falafel recipe somewhere on eG? Looks so wonderful!

A tremendous run of fabulous meals from everyone here on Dinner!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts (w/EVOO, Mrs. Dash and chopped scallions)

steamed broccoli

brown rice

Evian

================

bedtime snack: 1 bowl of cottage cheese topped w/ one can of water-packed tuna, drained, and more Mrs. Dash.

oh yes, I'm alive and kicking. Mrs. Dash sends her regards. :blink::blink::raz:

Soba

For Tuesday evening, I prepared a Shepherd's Pie with turkey, corn, peas, and mashed potatoes. Quite tasty.

For Wednesday evening, I made stroganoff with shrimp, lite turkey sausage, and turkey. Part was served on brown rice and part on rotini. We don't all agree on how it is best served.

Tonight, I am preparing a brisket - to serve with barbecue sauce. Along with it, I plan to bake some carrot coins in olive oil and some seasonings.

Chufi--that rice pudding looks amazing and might fit the bill as dessert for a dinner I'm making next week.

400 ml coconut milk, 500 ml. milk, 50 gr. of dark chocolate (grated), the crushed seeds of 5 cardamompods, 5 tablespoons puddingrice (I use risotto rice or paella rice whatever I have), 50 gr. sugar.

Mix everything together and bake in the oven at 120 C for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. You should stir every 30 minutes but I stir every 15 minutes so I can lick the spoon more often! Different types of rice absorb more or less liquid so after an hour you should check regularly to see if it's ready and not drying out.

Serve warm.

edit typo

FM, is your falafel recipe somewhere on eG? Looks so wonderful!

A tremendous run of fabulous meals from everyone here on Dinner!

It is in my eGCI class on Lebanese cuisine, here

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Salmon with Saffron Braised Fennel and Cucumber (from Nov. Food and Wine) served with frissee salad with bacon and vinaigrette with poached eggs.

gallery_16100_231_1102049311.jpg

Pouilly Fuisse in the glass.

cheese plate for dessert

gallery_16100_231_1102051640.jpg

Hard aged jack at 1:00, Cabot Vermont Cheddar, asian pears and Blue de Basque

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Tonight we had pan seared milanesa steaks, the pan deglazed with a little lime juice to make a tangy sauce. Topped the meat with chopped cilantro and served with white rice and avocado.

Dessert: toasted banana bread (yeast kind not baking powder) with vanilla ice cream and homemade peach "honey" .

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wed night: Chicken soup with a rich turkey stock, diced tomatoes, corn, carrots, and diced jalapeno, topped with sour cream and cilantro and served with cornbread sticks. Dessert plate of sliced pear, apple, bleu d'avergne and Port Salut with thin sliced toasted sweet potato pecan/raisin bread.

Thursday night: Breakfast for dinner (which I crave sometimes as I seldom eat breakfast!) of fried eggs, bacon, tater tots, and homemade mixed grain bread toasted, peach butter. Hot apple cider.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

tonight's dinner will be a beef braise with garlic, bacon, prunes and red wine.

keeping my fingers crossed that it tastes as good as it smells!

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

We had some leftover grilled swordfish, so it was revamped into a light mellow yellow curry, served over steamed rice, and a side of stir fried zucchini.

gallery_11814_353_1102080771.jpg

Some Tater Tots would've been good with this, but ... all gone! :angry:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Salmon with Saffron Braised Fennel and Cucumber (from Nov. Food and Wine) served with frissee salad with bacon and vinaigrette with poached eggs.

gallery_16100_231_1102049311.jpg

that salmon looks wonderful. Was tthe salmon mixed in at the last minute, so that it was still moist?

and.. I've said it before.. I love your plates!! I always was a "white china only"girl but I think I need blue plates!