• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I haven't had dinner yet, but this is what I'll be eating tonight:

-roast pork and bbq duck with plum sauce from a Chinese butcher shop

-mussels steamed with white wine, ginger, scallions, some soy sauce

-rice and some sort of vegetable...maybe just some stir-fried bean sprouts

I also made almond biscotti for dessert. I've tried a few biscotti recipes over last few months, and this is my favourite so far. It's on the King Arthur Flour website under "Traditional Italian Biscotti". It's not quite as crunchy as most biscotti because it contains 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 shortening, and 3 eggs.

(I can't wait for that crispy, crunchy skin on the bbq pork!)

oh, my gawd.  :shock:  the original recipe was the one taught me back in 1977-8 when i was cooking in restaurants.  only difference was that we didn't have food processors so it was food mill and beat, beat, beat with the wooden spoon.  served in the crocks with crackers, wafer thin sliced red onion and hard boiled eggs

i made and served this for our wedding reception 22 1/2 years ago.

That's pretty cool, Suzi... :smile: I guess this is one of those don't-mess-with-success recipes.

Tonight we went to a party celebrating the end of the hurricane season, this hurricane season particularly. It ends on the 30th. Naturally, given the celebration, there were thunder storms and rain off and on, and so the party was in and out of doors. The food was typical -- shrimp, meatballs, wings, a zillion dips and desserts. I'm sure we were the only people there who are eGulls or who have ever even heard of eG. But the band was set up in the garage, and even though rainy it was warm outside, and it was free food and drink... and best of all, it was a half mile from our house so we could walk to and from. Well no, best of all was that this hurricane season is over. :smile: Cheers!

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

5 onion dip:

Brunoise equal parts shallots, leek whites, regular yellow onions, red onions

Slice a bunch of scallions into razor-thin chiffonade ribbons

Stir all into a mixture of 2 parts sour cream:1 part creme fraiche

Salt the hell outta it

Let it rest overnight

And then try to keep your mitts off of it until serving.

NOTE: Chives are good if you want six onions.

Oh. Damn. ... Added to my recipe list.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Day after Thanksgiving - Turkey soup

So what do you with a turkey carcass and some left over meat? Why, make a soup of-course !!

gallery_21049_162_1101650653.jpg

To make the soup, I used the following recipe (very easy):

1 cup Mire Poix (onion, celery, carrots - heavy on the celery), sautéed

2 cups chicken or Turkey broth (depends on how strong a flavor you want)

1 cup vegetable stock

Bouquet Garni - Some fresh herbs

2-3 Bay leaves

Water filled until most of the carcass is submerged

Veal stock bones (optional, but highly recommended)

Salt and Pepper to taste

Just boil and simmer

(Oh, I added some parsnips towards the end, cut into 1 inch cubes)

When done, remove the bones, add some turkey meat chunks and serve with croutons

gallery_21049_162_1101650681.jpg

Good soothing soup for the nippy fall weather :cool:

Well, I never posted in the dinner thread before because I don't have a digital camera.

(I have an old-school Nikon and a Canon) But my new cell phone has a camera!

Tonight wasn't anything special, just sauteed couple shallots, then added baby brussel sprouts with a splash of wine and some stock. Simmer until liquid is evaporated.

Had with leftover sweet potato puree with touch of maple sugar and a glass of Gobelsburger 2002 Riesling and some Arabic homework.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...cmd=si&img=5762

the brussels in progress

I got so into trying to post the image that I forgot to take any more pictures!

Can someone fix this?

Edited by M. Lucia (log)

Oysters, Day 8 :smile: (We had a few raw before we went to the party last night.)

Starter tonight was Oysters Broiled in Roquefort Butter, a mixture of real good Roquefort and butter and black pepper with a little dollop of that on each oyster and broiled (and again, cheap bubbly). This was yummy -- better than I expected, but it's rich, so five each was plenty. Here they are just out of the oven

gallery_13038_284_1101690584.jpg

and then plated.

gallery_13038_284_1101690323.jpg

Main course was white bean puree with truffle oil, pork chops, left-over collard greens, and 2003 Shadow Lakes Vineyards Syrah, Madera County.

gallery_13038_284_1101690365.jpg

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Today was my neighbor and my annual tamale making day. Together, we made 21 dozen tamales, not counting the ones we had to taste-test. 4 dozen chicken and pepper-jack, 4 dozen beef and the rest pork. A fun day, but I'm glad we only do it once a year.

Tomorrow - turkey soup!!

Stop Family Violence

We had the sort of meal a well-trained chimp could easily reproduce. However, the quality of the ingredients was so good, it really tasted above and beyond the everyday meal...

lamb chops (grass fed raised by local farm kids for 4-H) salt & pepper, rubbed with garlic, seared 3 minutes a side, pan deglazed with shallots, wine & a little mustard. Incredibly tender, great flavor.

organic arugula, organic goat cheese & thin-sliced red onion salad, with light red wine vinegar & eeov dressing.

moroccan oil-cured black olives

really great crusty french boule from a local bakery

minimum effort, maximum reward.

What I had for dinner tonight:

Behold, the Thanksgiving Sandwich. Hot white meat turkey tossed in gravy, with warm New Orleans-style Cornbread Stuffing and Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce, on an Onion Roll.

gallery_2_4_1101704249.jpg

EAT ME!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

my god, Jason, that's astounding.

Not really dinner, just a lunch SO BIG that I am only now able to eat again (she said, gnawing on a dry cracker). Was staying with some friends up in Nottingham + David pressed me into service in the kitchen as his sous for Sunday lunch with the vicar. Who, rather brilliantly, brought a bottle of red wine along called Holy Trinity.

To start, little filo pastry cups filled with cranberry chutney + a blob of lancashire cheese. Served with champagne while everyone arrived.

Spectacular leg of lamb, studded with garlic + rosemary + roasted. Roast potatoes. Carrots roasted with chili flakes + thyme. Mashed swede with cream and crispy bacon folded through (this was absolutely genius). Steamed leeks. Steamed mangetouts. Home-made mint sauce. Thick delicious gravy.

This meat feast was followed by steamed treacle sponge pudding with proper custard (600ml double cream, seven egg yolks, vanilla pod, sugar, half an hour frantic work with wooden spoon over low heat). Fresh fruit salad + cream for the frightened. Stilton and some smoked cheese or other (couldn't actually focus by this stage).

Coffee, and just in case anyone had a spare corner, Bendicks Bittermints.

I drove back down the motorway to London with the car listing heavily to one side.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I braised some lamb shanks in red wine, beef broth, onions, garlic, oregano, thyme, sage, and lemon zest. Served atop fresh made egg noodles along with some roasted zucchini on the side. My GF liked the sauce that resulted from the braising, but couldn't bring herself to eat the meat. :blink:

More for me, I guess...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Here are two pics that pretty much describe Thanksgiving chez Baldwin:

Four Story Hills Farms Cote de Boeuf and Irv:

gallery_14011_31_1101600384.jpg

Squab breast, foie gras and cabbage in squab consomme with shaved white truffle:

gallery_14011_31_1101600451.jpg

Back to work.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Here it is Chufi. I love the love. The camera flash makes the crust look a bit darker than it was.

gallery_14011_31_1101751388.jpg

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Everyone's t-day dinners look amazing! I got off easy and just had to bring appetizers to the family gathering: pancetta, leek and goat cheese tartlettes. Damn tasty and the first time for me making my own tarts. yeah!!

Spent the weekend in OR wine country so I've been eating but not cooking! :raz:

What I had for dinner tonight:

Behold, the Thanksgiving Sandwich. Hot white meat turkey tossed in gravy, with warm New Orleans-style Cornbread Stuffing and Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce, on an Onion Roll.

gallery_2_4_1101704249.jpg

EAT ME!

Thats a beautiful thing. I would most likely fall asleep in the middle of eating that thing.

I have enjoyed reading about the Thanksgiving Dinners, makes me wish we had that holiday!. Nothing grand like that happening over here though.. just some comforting winter meals.

yesterday: lentil stew with home made oatmeal rolls (and some avocado salad in the background)

gallery_21505_358_1101580171.jpg

today:

"shepherd's pie" baked potatoes, green cabbage braised with bacon and caraway:

gallery_21505_358_1101580256.jpg

Two beautiful meals and photos--intrigued by the oatmeal rolls; need to make some green cabbage soon!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The meat looked great, but did you see the expression on the Baby's face! That is priceless. Does he eat me yet? It looked like he was impressed as we are with the cut of beef. What a cutie! :smile:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren