• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I was just finishing up a coconut green curry beef with baby eggplants from the garden and had cooked rice (which will now be tomorrow's dinner) . . .

My mr came in loaded for fajitas and determined to drive the grill this evening. So I chopped some avocados, dressed with lime juice, a dash of S&P, sliced some Romaine heart tops, grilled purple onions, made some refried beans with slow-cooked pintos on hand from the freezer to serve with rice, and threw together some fresh table salsa with the last of our tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, japs, and sweet yellow onion. Grated sharp cheddar, heated tortillas and set out sour cream.

Meanwhile he dosed the meat with grapefruit juice, and rubbed it down with whatever, let that work while he nursed the fire and a beer. Fajitas were delicious. :biggrin:

Even though what I really wanted was the green curry. :hmmm:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Also, on Saturday:

Heretic's carbonara

gallery_15769_345_1099929599.jpg

gallery_15769_345_1099929583.jpg

Very thin cracked-pepper pasta sheets filled with a whole egg yolk each, plated with melted butter, grated pecorino and rendered pancetta.

Fantastic - but VERY rich.

Urp.

I want that. :wub:

Eunny, would you please give the complete how-to? Did you make the pepper pasta dough?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Great photos, everyone!

Jason, your closeup of the sesame meatballs is spectacular! A veritable explosion of textures.

And Diana, your photo brought a tear to me eye, it's so "purty". But then, I have a weakness for a good chicken fried steak.

Remind me not to read this discussion when I'm hungry. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Playing with a new toy, this is my first post on this thread.

Grilled Salmon with a spicy dry rub

Salmon on the grill.  The bacon had nothing to do with dinner, since the grill was going I figured I might as well through some Nueske bacon on the it.

gallery_394_349_1099970458.jpg

On the platter with tots as a side

gallery_394_349_1099970523.jpg

Plated.  There was a garlic butter sauce

gallery_394_349_1099970577.jpg

I like the plate.. Did you get the blue plate at Fisher Eddies?

Playing with a new toy, this is my first post on this thread.

Grilled Salmon with a spicy dry rub

Salmon on the grill.  The bacon had nothing to do with dinner, since the grill was going I figured I might as well through some Nueske bacon on the it.

On the platter with tots as a side

Plated.  There was a garlic butter sauce

gallery_394_349_1099970577.jpg

I like the plate.. Did you get the blue plate at Fisher Eddies?

Actually we got these plates at a place in Chicago near Wrigley Field. The plates we usually use are from Fishs Eddy, Oval Manhattan Blue Plate Special plates. We have the entire set including my favorite, the jumbo cups and saucers.

Dinner was mushroom risotto. In the risotto there were fresh chanterelles and dried porcini, on top are sauteed fresh porcini. It was very very good (much better than the picture, but after spending 2 hours figuring out Imagegullet, I just HAD to post something tonight - hope it works)

gallery_21505_358_1100119340.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Dinner was mushroom risotto. In the risotto there were fresh chanterelles and dried porcini, on top are sauteed fresh porcini. It was very very good (much better than the picture, but after spending 2 hours figuring out Imagegullet, I just HAD to post something tonight - hope it works)

gallery_21505_358_1100119340.jpg

Real nice picture, and yummy looking food!

Cold weather has arrived. Casserole time!

Tuesday:

Manicotti stuffed with ricotta, parm reg, and spinach. Emma (my 5 year old) helped to stuff the manicotti and did a not-too-shabby job with the pastry bag. :smile:

Big chopped salad with the last tomato from the garden, dressed with toasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil.

Warm sourdough bread with salted Plugra.

Wednesday:

Shrimp with coconut milk, tomatoes and cilantro. Served over rice. We got this recipe from a Brazilian friend of ours. Emma ate huge qualitites, Ian was dubious.

Steamed broccoli

Big juicy white grapefruit for dessert.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sorry!  I just realized you provided a link.  I was so excited, I didn't notice that at first.

Thank you!

:biggrin:

In case the carbonara post wasn't enough detail, a couple notes:

*I used a really STIFF dough - two large eggs to two and a half cups of flour to compensate for the liquidy filling.

*one egg yolk really provides too much sauce for the pasta holding it. Next time I make this, I'll probably do it with very large saucer-sized pasta sheets holding the egg yolk nested in some ricotta or something.

*the egg yolk filling has a tendency to "eat through" the raw pasta - if you are holding the finished ravioli for any length of time, I'd flip them every couple minutes.

*90 seconds of cooking is just about right to my taste.

I'm glad you're back in the dinner thread :wub:

Sorry!  I just realized you provided a link.  I was so excited, I didn't notice that at first.

Thank you!

*one egg yolk really provides too much sauce for the pasta holding it. Next time I make this, I'll probably do it with very large saucer-sized pasta sheets holding the egg yolk nested in some ricotta or something.

*the egg yolk filling has a tendency to "eat through" the raw pasta - if you are holding the finished ravioli for any length of time, I'd flip them every couple minutes.

I'm glad you're back in the dinner thread :wub:

Eunny what about using quail eggs?

Asian Marinaded Center Cut Pork Chops, with Char Siu BBQ Glaze:

gallery_2_4_1100139398.jpg

Served with Soya/Garlic/Ginger/Scallion seasoned rice and Sauteed Long Beans with Garlic and Oyster Sauce.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In case the carbonara post wasn't enough detail, a couple notes:

*I used a really STIFF dough - two large eggs to two and a half cups of flour to compensate for the liquidy filling.

*one egg yolk really provides too much sauce for the pasta holding it.  Next time I make this, I'll probably do it with very large saucer-sized pasta sheets holding the egg yolk nested in some ricotta or something.

Thank you for the extra details.

I'm glad you're back in the dinner thread  :wub:

And thank you for that, too.... I'm glad to be back home to the dinner thread. :smile:

gallery_13038_284_1100138431.jpg

Everything was "new" tonight and tasted so good: First time for homemade cream of mushroom soup, and it was garnished with the last of the quail eggs; Lentil and Celery Root Salad which was a new recipe for me and the first time I have cooked celery root (the blue cheese was Maytag)... We could have eaten lots more of this than I fixed, it's definitely a keeper recipe; and 2002 Fleetwood Cellars California Symphony, the first time to taste a Symphony varietal -- very good and a great match with the food.

Mussels with garlic, white wine, and some garlic oil left over from making croutons that I wanted to use. I use the New Zealand green shell mussels since I can't stand gritty mussels.

gallery_7869_302_1100138844.jpg

I tried buying live mussels and cleaning them and then cooking them once, but it was not worth the effort. The worse mussels I ever had were at a crab place in Maryland on the Delmarva Peninsula. they weren't even debearded. Talk about grit! One of the mussels had a little crab in its beard, which I was told is a real delicacy, but I passed it up. With all the gravel I'd swallowed while eating the mussels, I didn't have any room for the crab.

The parsley is from my herb garden. I have what amounts to a parsley hedge around my goldfish pond. It was a great year for parsley, which of course meant, a lousy year for tomatoes.

gallery_7869_302_1100137773.jpg

I had a green bean salad along with it

gallery_7869_302_1100138273.jpg

and a home made Italian roll.

gallery_7869_302_1100137229.jpg

washed down with.

gallery_7869_302_1100139428.jpg

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Last night, back after several days out of town:

Sausage and pepper sandwiches on baguette, with a light salad (only had 2 lettuces at the Greenmarket) and beer.

Tonight, inspired by Laurie Colwin:

Whole chicken legs baked with lemon juice and coarsely ground black pepper.

Polenta with creamy horseradish cheese mixed through.

Broccoli rabe blanched, then sauteed with garlic.

Mixed salad (leaves, red and yellow peppers) with olive oil and oregano vinegar.

Paumanok Barrel Fermented Chardonnay.

Mussels with garlic, white wine, and some garlic oil left over from making croutons that I wanted to use.  I use the New Zealand green shell mussels since I can't stand gritty mussels.

I tried buying live mussels and cleaning them and then cooking them once, but it was not worth the effort.  The worse mussels I ever had were at a crab place in Maryland on the Delmarva Peninsula. they weren't even debearded. Talk about grit!  One of the mussels had a little crab in its beard, which I was told is a real delicacy, but I passed it up.  With all the gravel I'd swallowed while eating the mussels, I didn't have any room for the  crab.

Ohhhh, how beautiful.

I find that live mussels are fine when you purge them for an extended period in water and salt - but I agree that the consistent quality of the frozen NZ mussels vs. the spotty quality of live seafood hardly makes it worth your while.

A haiku of adoration, to my butcher:

I asked for soup bones

you gave me two hanger steaks

and charged $.99 per lb :wub:

Okay, for dinner we had the most amazing USDA prime porterhouse steaks I've ever had in my life. (Seared 3 minutes per side). And fingerling potatoes, boiled then fried with sea salt and lots and lots and lots of black pepper. And braised radiccio with prosciutto. And the rest of that great Chianti...

But mainly it was about the steak. :wub:

And the price on the soup bones was no mistake. :wub::wub:

(what was that old MFK fisher line about good steak and red wine turning your earlobes red and making you very affectionate?)

Another ode to Jaymes dinner:

Tomatillo salsa and shredded pork enchiladas. Garnished with cilantro and crema. :wub::wub:

Accompanied by ice cold Corona. Time for another...... :shock:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Multicolor night (gotta get a camera!!):

Risotto with chopped rainbow chard stems, made with cheese-rind stock.

Salad of green leaf, baby red romaine, belgian endive, radicchio, red and yellow bell peppers (olive oil and mixed herbs vinegar).

Roederer Estate Sparkling Wine, wheeeeee!

Mussels with garlic, white wine, and some garlic oil left over from making croutons that I wanted to use.  I use the New Zealand green shell mussels since I can't stand gritty mussels.

Nice looking (and I am sure tasting) dish !!

The breadroll looks good too !!