• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

again with the peasant food:

shanklish salad (stinky spicy yogurt cheese, chopped onion, chopped plum tomato & olive oil.

homemade olives with hot peppers

man'oush (pita dough topped with zaa'tar)

eggs cooked in olive oil, in my lebanese clay frying pan, topped with yogurt, salt & black pepper.

1st attempt at cheese fondue ever ( just rec'd my LC fondue pot recently after all). I think it was a success... a very delicious success!

Cheeses included Emmentaler, Gruyere and Jarlsburg. Everything else was pretty basic... dry white wine, kirsch, pepper, scrape of nutmeg, pinch of Coleman's, etc.

The best part was the kids ate more veggies than normal :cool: .

Dippers included the following:

Some cubed peppery Tuscan loaf from Wegman's

Steamed baby carrots, sugar snap peas,steamed yellow baby new potatoes ( Wegman's brand), then sauteed in EVOO, garlic & Maldon salt and pepper

steamed broccoli, purple green beans, asparagus, thickly sliced mushrooms sauteed in garlic and the aforementioned Maldon & pepper.

Poached chicken breast cubed and pepperoni chunks

Sweet gherkins for the kids to munch on... some French brand of cornichons for us.

No pictures... but it was tasty and even the husband who isn't crazy about cheese saucy things liked it. Did I mention... the kids ate more vegetables than normal :wink: .

Saturday:

baked/brolied garlicky chicken

roasted yukon gold potatoes

sauce made with garlic, mayo, olive oil and lemon juice

pita bread

gallery_5404_94_1099890084.jpg

Sunday:

Pork veal and ham terrine from Mastering the art. Served with homemade Baguettes A Lancienne, Dijon mustard and homemade onion jam. My first terrine ever, I was very proud of it, it came out great.

Pork coddled in olive oil with tuscan beans (recipe from Wolfert)

Dessert: Homemade coffe ice cream, ganache, whipped cream. So rich and so good

gallery_5404_94_1099890981.jpg

gallery_5404_94_1099891794.jpg

gallery_5404_94_1099892226.jpg

gallery_5404_94_1099890427.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Look at those baguettes! Heck, look at everything!

Can I get a table for two at your house for next Sunday's dinner? :wink:

Since I got home late after class, dinner was...fast. Salad with homemade creamy garlic dressing, and sliced marmalade-glazed chicken.

The description, there, is larger than was the actual meal. :sad:

Sunday dinner was just everything I felt like eating. And cooking. :wink:

Shoulder arm pork steaks braised in this weekend's chicken stock, splash of apple cider vinegar, black pepper, a little powdered galangal, dozen seeds from monster fennel/crushed, sprig of silver thyme, bay leaf off the tree. (One of the advantages here -- it's fall and all my herbs are loving it. :smile: ) Laid that on a bed of soft, buttery sour cream mashed potatoes. Green beans and baby carrots steamed slightly then finished slow 'til very tender Southern style in butter with lemon thyme, S&P. Can you tell I was in the mood for soft? :raz:

gallery_12550_103_1099903945.jpg

Also baked a French boule, served with butter.

gallery_12550_103_1099906259.jpg

Sliced crisp granny apples and sharp cheddar for dessert for contrast to the rest.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

got home late after delightful weekend spent up north god-daughter wrangling. cupboards were bare + Chatsworth farm shop closes at 5pm on a Sunday - harumph - so no delicious free range eggs neither. discovered some withering Brussels sprouts and some already-cooked butternut squash cubes in the veg drawer. 15 minutes later... butternut squash, bacon and Brusslers bubble + squeak. Fantastic! and verging on eye-wateringly colourful (orange! green! pink! black!) Squeeze of lemon over the crusty top, Belazu rose harissa on the side.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

got home late after delightful weekend spent up north god-daughter wrangling.  cupboards were bare + Chatsworth farm shop closes at 5pm on a Sunday - harumph - so no delicious free range eggs neither.  discovered some withering Brussels sprouts and some already-cooked butternut squash cubes in the veg drawer.  15 minutes later... butternut squash, bacon and Brusslers bubble + squeak.  Fantastic!  and verging on eye-wateringly colourful (orange! green! pink! black!)  Squeeze of lemon over the crusty top, Belazu rose harissa on the side.

I love this - this sounds exactly up my alley. I love the way you pulled a not-immediately-apparant combo together into something delicious.

I'm trying really hard to be a little more creative in the kitchen, thinking through why this thing tastes this way and that thing tastes that other way. This was an idea that came a little bit out of my favorite breakfast (strong Earl Grey with a tiny dab of raspberry preserves swirled in), a bit out of tea-smoked duck, and a bit out of a dish I'd had at a great restaurant here (pork loin marinated in assam tea)

Tea-Crusted Chicken

gallery_15769_29_1099928935.jpg

A couple chicken thighs marinated in a little water, red wine vinegar, and olive oil brought to a boil and steeped with plenty of Earl Grey and a little dried rosemary.

Roasted in a hot oven skin side up, then down, then up again, with raspberry preserves and dijon mustard, heated and strained, brushed on, and then rolled in breadcrumbs, steeped tea leaves and rosemary at the last turn. It was really very successful - very herbal and floral with a very subtly bitter tannic undertone...good on the dark chicken.

Roasted cauliflower mixed with puy lentils and caramelized onions. More rosemary. For those roasted cauliflower addicts out there, this is an insanely good combination - the "meatiness" of the cauliflower and the lentils match perfectly, with the sweetness of the onion playing off the nuttiness of the browned cauliflower.

Lemony wilted spinach because I can't bear a totally brown plate.

YUM!

For apps we had some left over mushroom and cheese crostini I made for a party the night before. Doesn't look so great but shitake, chanterelles and oyster mushrooms, with rosemary and garlic, fontina and parm. Very tasty! Kirs for sipping.

gallery_16100_231_1099884628.jpg

Then one of our favorite Sunday dinners, moules et frites!!

The dinner table

gallery_16100_231_1099884672.jpg

The mussels cooked in my new Staub mussel pot that my husband bought us recently. The little cage holds the mussels away from the juice so you can dip to your heart's content. I call it the little pool of goodness! :wub:

gallery_16100_231_1099884724.jpg

My husband makes the fries, these were his best yet. He has gotten this down! Homemade frite sauce also!

gallery_16100_231_1099884759.jpg

Served with a nice Pouilly Fuisse

Also, on Saturday:

Heretic's carbonara

gallery_15769_345_1099929599.jpg

gallery_15769_345_1099929583.jpg

Very thin cracked-pepper pasta sheets filled with a whole egg yolk each, plated with melted butter, grated pecorino and rendered pancetta.

Fantastic - but VERY rich.

Urp.

Eunny, that looks incredible. The description yesterday did not do it justice. All that lovely, yummy egg yolk :wub::wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Braised pot roast my new favorite way, from Marcella Hazan's new book. That one recipe alone is worth the price of the cookbook. You just throw olive oil, Dijon, red wine vinegar, anchovies, pancetta, garlic, chuck roast in the pan and braise it for two hours. You don't even brown the meat! It makes the most incredibly full of flavor pot roast I have ever had.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Eunny, both the tea-crusted chicken and heretical carbonara look and sound delicious. I'm glad that your explorations are yeilding such success.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

sigh. thank you...

you're welcome to crash my parties anytime - bring food! :laugh:

for 40 (ish) people on saturday i made - and did not photograph because i hate my camera:

spicy potato and pea samosas

i hand rolled the dough - and discussed it in the stupid things i've done in the kitchen thread. despite my idiocy, these turned out well. i served them with jarred tamarind chutney and made some cilantro mint chutney - because that stuff rocks.

home cured salmon on cheddar shortbread with horseradish creme fraiche

(my first home cure, and i loved the salmon - i can't wait to cure more with more assertive seasonings...smoked paprika?). the cheddar shortbreads were good - better warm but seemed leaden when cold.

deviled eggs - creamy goodness

cheese plate - a blue, a triple cream (delice?) and manchego drizzled with truffled honey. served with grapes, halved dates and marcona almonds. carrs water and wheat biscuits.

french onion dip - a leek and 4 yellow onions + a splash of sherry and a stick of butter - cooked 12 hour onions in my heavy le crueset at 275 (250 overnight). mixed with sour cream, celery & garlic salt (for that msg tang) and loads of black pepper. someone actually ate the parsley garnish. served with blanched and chilled green beans, baby carrots, bell peppers & ruffles.

stuffed mushrooms with garlic, gruyere & spinach - a pinch of those sweet onions and buttered bread crumbs to top.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Playing with a new toy, this is my first post on this thread.

Grilled Salmon with a spicy dry rub

Salmon on the grill. The bacon had nothing to do with dinner, since the grill was going I figured I might as well through some Nueske bacon on the it.

gallery_394_349_1099970458.jpg

On the platter with tots as a side

gallery_394_349_1099970523.jpg

Plated. There was a garlic butter sauce

gallery_394_349_1099970577.jpg

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

Homemade tagliatelle w/ bolognese meat sauce. Actually, most of it was already made...I'd refrigerated the sauce and dried the noodles yesterday. Outstanding Chianti to wash it down: Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Reserva 2000. I am sorely tempted to drain the bottle but I have some more work to do...maybe just a sip...

Dinner was not at home last night; elsewhere, catered, faaaaaaaancy.

Lovely, lovely spread: roasted and grilled vegetables, roasted figs stuffed with sweet cheese and nuts, chicken-and-herb-cheese skewers, aromatic rice with lots of hidden spices, and (my favorite) sweet potato ravioli. :wub: Medsuyan! Excellent!

Oh, wait, I did make a snack beforehand: open-faced little ham sandwiches on baguette slices, each with potato salad, hard-boiled egg, and slices of cheese, pickle, and red pepper. Hard to balance all that on a baguette round....gotta eat 'em fast.

FL Heat - That looks absolutely wonderful.....

It is cold here, and I needed warm food, so:

goulash.jpg

Venison Goulash and Roasted Cauliflower.

The Goulash has ground venison meat, tons of paprika, some majoram, chopped turnip, red onions, and the rest of the head of cauliflower in it, quite tasty. I am enjoying it now with some sour cream and horseradish on top.

The Roasted Cauliflower is great too, I love the black bits, taste just like caramel candy....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I love me some CFS, and Diana your dinner looks awesome!

Tonight we grilled some gorgeous black&white crusted ahi tuna steaks:

crust:

b&w sesame seeds

b&w peppercorns (crushed)

crushed sel de mer gros

dipping sauce:

lime juice

nam pla

sugar

salt

sliced jalapeno peppers

served with slaw:

shredded cabbage & carrots

beansprouts

tangerine segments

pomegranate seeds

honey roasted almond slices

dressing:

nam pla

light soy sauce

rice vinegar

sugar

sesame oil

chicken lo mein

and ...... Sabrett hot dog fried rice :blink::shock::raz::wub:

gallery_11814_353_1100046826.jpg

no tater tots :sad:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Jo-Mel's Chinese VINEGAR SPLASHED MEATBALLS WITH SESAME SEEDS

gallery_2_4_1100051165.jpg

gallery_2_4_1100051138.jpg

Served with mixed grains and Japanese Spinach with Sesame Sauce (Horenso Goma Ae)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The dinner I cooked tonight will be dinner for tomorrow night; prep took so long for me that my meal wasn't finished until 11. So tonight, I ate a bowl of rice with soy sauce and Sriracha.

But, while eating that rice, I made this. It's the first time I've ever cooked with wine, and I used a 2003 Santa Cristina Sangiovese. *Wow*. I can't believe what a difference wine makes with stews!!

I just had a taste of the stew now, with the last of the wine (my sister and I couldn't help but partake in the open bottle of wine...it's really great). I wish I had a camera to show you guys the stew: everytime I make something from scratch, I always feel like I'm cooking for the first time. But, I'm so proud of this result, this stew is perfect.

And, of course, with all stews--it'll taste better tomorrow, so I should be happy that I didn't eat it tonight. :smile: