• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Grilled hamburgers (thanks to the current blog, I was craving a burger!)

Salad of Boston lettuce, seeded tomatoes, sweet onion, avocado, and blue cheese, dressed with balsamic vinegar and EVOO

Corn on the cob

Cabernet

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

gallery_2_4_1099268063.jpg

Boeuf Bourguignon from the Les Halles Cookbook, served with Zucchini Saute, Parsley Mashed Potatoes and some Tator Tots (for contrasting crunchiness)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks to bleudauvergne posting her recipe in her blog long ago....

tonight we had.....

Tartiflette!!

gallery_16100_231_1099280480.jpg

mmmm, I first had this exactly this time last year in Annecy, France while visting a friend. Tried making it once before but I didn't think the recipe was very good. This recipe is great and will become my staple so thanks again Lucy!

Served with a simple salad, nice shiraz on my favorite table cloth bought also in France. Couldn't be happier!! :biggrin:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Following in the short rib thread, I made short rib ravioli tonight with rosemary butter sauce and sauce gribiche as an appetizer.  Everybody ate up!  I noticed the ravioli by itself was a bit heavy and the sauce gribiche cut it quite well.  Served with Cotes du Rhone.

Hmm...that looks and sounds grrreat !!

Tartiflette!!

mmmm, I first had this exactly this time last year in Annecy, France while visting a friend. Tried making it once before but I didn't think the recipe was very good. This recipe is great and will become my staple so thanks again Lucy!

That looks good !! Do you mind sharing the recipe with us or pointing us to it?

Thanks

P

Wow. I feel hungry after reading the recent entries. Since it was trick or treating night, I had a very tiny leftover chicken leg while doling out candy and Paul was out with the kids. I also ate a carrot.

Still hungry, when the kids got home, I had two little Baby Ruth bars. These are my favorite candy bar, and I like the little ones better, and like them more at Halloween than any other time; I swear they are fresher. Figure that, because of the peanuts, gave me fiber. For fruit, I had four little red twizzler packages. I washed it down with a beer, figuring that hops can be considered a vegetable.

Justification.

Jason, your photo confirms what I knew. I need to get to the bookstore like tomorrow and get Les Halles.

Hillvalley, I need to smoke some butt and pull some pork.

I feel sorry for the teachers tomorrow. I know that my kids have eaten a year's quota of candy this evening.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Tartiflette!!

That looks good !! Do you mind sharing the recipe with us or pointing us to it?

Thanks

P

I will be your google fairy tonight :smile:

tartiflette link

Boy, now is definitely the time of year for that.

Tonight we had a savory bread pudding (to use up all my odds and ends of cheese), and I tried tuscan kale for the first time, blanched then sauteed with garlic, evoo, crushed chili and fennel seeds, and grated lemon rind. Tuscan kale is a lot "meatier" than the regular kind, really wonderful stuff.

Actually managed to do pretty well tonight, despite an insane work schedule:

Flank steak marinated in and served with an impromptu chimichurri sauce, along with roasted fingerling potatoes and braised leaks. Appetizer was a delicious pumpkin soup courtesy of my neighbors.

Cheers,

Squeat

Shrimp Caesar salad (with some of the leftover shrimp from skewers last night), pecan smoked chicken legs with bbq sauce slathered on for the last 20 minutes, and cut corn sizzled with sweet onion, garlic, roasted green chilis and a good dose of salsa verde. Finished off the garlic bread from last night too.

More spooky candy for dessert.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Chicken in the Set It and Forget It, with Stubbs' Rosemary & Ginger rub. Sardinian Old Bread Casserole from Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen book - what a great way to use up stale bread.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Steaks with a mushroom-shallot wine sauce; potato gratin from the Balthazar Cookbook ; asparagus tossed in sesame oil, sesame seeds and tamari, then roasted. I was proud of that setup, and we came away full, with plenty of leftovers. I'd have taken a photo for bragging rights if I'd thought of it in time; I was winging it on the steak and asparagus! I'm learning!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Spicy spiked iced tea and the Acadian style crab salad on croissants from Rachael Rays cookbook 30 minute get togethers.

The iced tea consisted of 4 orange pekoe tea bags in 3 cups of water, lenon and orange juice, a cinnamon stick, and whole cloves and sugar (1/3 cup). The recipe calls for light rum but captain morgan was all i had in the liquor cabinet at the time so i used that. It turned out really tasty.

Crab salad was pretty basic...crab, celery, onion, mayo and chili sauce and a tsp of worcestershire sauce. I did omit the tabasco sauce the recipe called for.

Dinner for me and the Czech was my shot #2 at a Traditional Dish: boiled beef with creamy veg. sauce and dumplings, along with braised red cabbage. Ok, the first part is better than it sounds, but it's going to take me a long time to get used to a culture that boils beef. Why, why, why?

Tomorrow I take back the menu with minestrone.

Glad to join y'all. :smile:

Dinner for me and the Czech was my shot #2 at a Traditional Dish: boiled beef with creamy veg. sauce and dumplings, along with braised red cabbage. Ok, the first part is better than it sounds, but it's going to take me a long time to get used to a culture that boils beef. Why, why, why?

Glad to join y'all.  :smile:

Welcome, Rehovat!

Please tell us more: why, indeed, would one boil beef?! Unless, of course, it's something like corned beef. Could you braise it? Or make beef stew? I do see the Traditional Dish note. Can you manage to tweak that tradition? And what/whose tradition is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry if I sound like a heretic. You should see me at Thanksgiving...always messing with those traditions, too.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome, indeed! :biggrin:

When I was in culinary school, one of my classmates had, shall we say, a difficult time reading the English language (well, probably more than one :rolleyes: ). He misread "Broiled Beefsteak" as "Boiled Beefsteak", with understandably disastrous results. :raz:

Actually, it's not so bad if you:

1. don't actually boil it, but rather simmer; and

2. use beef stock, not water, as the cooking liquid.

But enough about you :wink: I made Cream of Artichoke Soup (artichoke stock from the freezer, a package of frozen artichoke hearts, some crema di carciofi, roast garlic puree, leftover mashed potatoes, and a touch of cream), and um, ham and Muenster sandwiches on rye (all out of supermarket packages, :blush: )

Please tell us more: why, indeed, would one boil beef?! Unless, of course, it's something like corned beef. Could you braise it? Or make beef stew? I do see the Traditional Dish note. Can you manage to tweak that tradition? And what/whose tradition is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry if I sound like a heretic. You should see me at Thanksgiving...always messing with those traditions, too.

It's true that it sounds a bit different---but it can be delicious. Two famous dishes made from "boiled beef" sound a bit more inviting in their native tongues-- "Pot au Feu" in France and "Tafelspitz" in Austria/Vienna. (One isn't boiling a steak--rather simmering a brisket-like cut, along with nice vegetables. You get a superb broth some of which can be served with the meat; rest for a clear broth soup. Tafelspitz is served with a great sauce of apples and horseradish.

(nice article on Tafelspitz and accompaniements in October Saveur.

edited to add: This is funny! Just looked at the November issue of Saveur; it has a recipe for Pot au Feu!!! :raz: (The recommended sauce is a Gribiche).

Welcome, Rehovat.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I did not make it, but ate it. Does this go in a different thread?

College Informal Guest Night

(Informal means that spouses or regular partners can be brought as guests)

Lobster Liguine with Parmesan Shavings

Sweet Red pepper and Vine Tomato Soup with Organo and Basil Leaf

Roast Partridge with Chestnuts

Polenta

Baby Courgettes

Char grilled Aubergine

Rich Rum and Chocolate LAyer Cake

Italian Nougat Semi-Freddo

Coffeee and Petit Four

Italian Cheeses

Fruit

Pinot Grigio Delle Venezie 2002

Val do Cornia Rosso Montepeloso 1997

Ch. Coutet 1988

Ch. Cissac 1993

Amorone 1993

Lobster Liguine with Parmesan Shavings

Yum.

Sweet Red pepper and Vine Tomato Soup with Organo and Basil Leaf

Roast Partridge with Chestnuts

Polenta

Baby Courgettes

Char grilled Aubergine

Yum.

Rich Rum and Chocolate LAyer Cake

Italian Nougat Semi-Freddo

Coffeee and Petit Four

Italian Cheeses

Fruit

And yum.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Delicious homemade cheeseburgers.......

....with a side of

TATER TOTS!!!! :shock:

Edited by Jake (log)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Boeuf Bourguignon from the Les Halles Cookbook, served with Zucchini Saute, Parsley Mashed Potatoes and some Tator Tots (for contrasting crunchiness)

....with a side of

TATER TOTS!!!!  :shock:

Are Tater Tots becoming the new LARB?

I'm having Curried Potato-Leek soup myself ... with a nice tapenade-topped crostini floating in the soup. :biggrin:

A.

....with a side of

TATER TOTS!!!!  :shock:

Are Tater Tots becoming the new LARB?

I'm having Curried Potato-Leek soup myself ... with a nice tapenade-topped crostini floating in the soup. :biggrin:

A.

Maybe I should make larb with roasted cauliflower and tator tots on the side!! :biggrin: