• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Last night was my first time roasting a whole duck. I used Ina Gartners method of boiling it first in broth and then roasting in the oven. It turned out really good although I think I could have taken it out 5 mins earlier.

Made a sauce of dried cranberries, rosemary, wine and duck stock, simmered and strained.

roasted new potatoes, carrots and fennel with evoo and some rosemary.

Served with a 2001 Châteauneuf du Pape, my favorite! yum.

I use that prep for any type of risotto.  That being said, I haven't made risotto cakes from ones that contain seafood, etc.  Usually for risotto cakes I use simpler risottos with the add-ins in small pieces ('plain' parmesean, tomato, lemon, mushroom, other vegetables....).

Same here on that part of it. :smile:

Re: the breaking, I tend to keep my risottos a little on the moist side.  Maybe this helps in them sticking together later after being chilled?  In any case, the mix is pretty sticky even after a night in the fridge.  Also, I form them relatively small (~ 3 inch diamter) and pretty thick.  I lke the contrast of the crisp exterior and the creamy insides.  A beaten egg or yolk or white is good for covering with crumbs.

Thanks a bunch. It sounds like just the advice I needed. Now I'm eager to make risotto, with enough for left-overs.

p.s. the deep-fried cornish game hens and grilled vegetables look delicious.  :smile:

They were so good... I'm trying to get my husband to become more active on eG. Of course, it won't take much to be more active than one post. :biggrin: He's a good cook, and we each like doing different things, so we compliment each other in the kitchen.

Last night was my first time roasting a whole duck. I used Ina Gartners method of boiling it first in broth and then roasting in the oven. It turned out really good although I think I could have taken it out 5 mins earlier.

Made a sauce of dried cranberries, rosemary, wine and duck stock, simmered and strained.

roasted new potatoes, carrots and fennel with evoo and some rosemary.

Served with a 2001 Châteauneuf du Pape, my favorite! yum.

That is a real good method for a duck. When we do it that way, we keep the boiling liquid each time, freeze it, and then use it next time.

Great idea for the sauce, and the entire dinner sounds wonderful.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That is a real good method for a duck.  When we do it that way, we keep the boiling liquid each time, freeze it, and then use it next time.

Great idea for the sauce, and the entire dinner sounds wonderful.

Darn it!! I should have done that, it was very disturbing to me to pour all that stock down the drain. :shock: Thank you for the tip, I will remember that again.

Kept it simple last night due to allergies from riding 69 miles on my bicycle this weekend with a lot of wind.

Blackened Chicken Sandwiches - My own seasoning mix.

Sweet Potato Pie topped with Maple Syrup and Pecans with Fresh Whipped Cream. I used a butter pie dough.

I was once diagnosed with a split personality but we are all okay now.

Nice roast chicken with a lime inside, more experiementation with new convection capability. Rice with fine vermicelli, browned first, with onion, garlic, little bit of tomato. Lovely redleaf and Romaine salad with the Consort's typically excellent white wine vinaigrette.

And sourdough bread, made by me! Thanks to Jackal's venerable starter and copious info in the last year's eGCI sourdough bread class. Far from perfect, but high-quality 100% sourdough seems tantalizingly possible!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Pizza! One with assorted wild mushrooms sauteed with garlic and fresh thyme, fontina and smoked mozzerella and the other for the kids with mozzerella, fontina, fresh tomatoes, oregano and nicoise olives. With some steamed asparagus and a big glass of water.

Ripe juicy pears for dessert.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Boiled beef, which is actually a corned beef brisket from Fergus Henderson's "The Whole Beast".

Roasted Culiflower with parsley and olive oil

Green Sauce (parlsey, mint, anchovies, capers, garlic and EVOO)

Dessert: Vanilla ice cream with sweet plum puree

The best part is the leftover corned beef, It is so good sliced thin on some homemade sourdough. I had a huge sandwich of the stuff for lunch at work.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Behemoth:  AWESOME!!!!

Looks spectacular.  What did you think?  How did you cook the meat?

Bellflower is the best, huh?  I keep trying to think of ways to use it in non-Korean preparations, but haven't been able to think of anything clever thus far.  Great picture!

It was really good -- I had planned to grill the meat outside on a wood fire but the weather was looking uncooperative so I used the grill insert on my stove. Definitely will bemaking that again.

Last night tried this Madhur Jaffery leg of lamb recipe. The yogurt marinade looked promising but (duh) curdled while it was roasting. I would normally be very forgiving of a homely-looking dish, but frankly it tasted meh too. Leftovers have been frozen for a future potpie, so all is not lost. Hmm, with the indian spices, maybe a British-style meat pastie instead...?

Right now pomegranates are 10 fer $10 so that's all I'm really planning to eat this week.

Enjoyed the brisket story, BTW. Transubstantiation of beef... :smile:

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Last night's down-and-dirty smoked brisket, all gussied up and made almost classy with leeks, zinfandel and horseradish in a shepherd's pie (if a shepherd's pie isn't totally declasse by nature)

Meat and Two:

gallery_15769_29_1097545039.jpg

A thick roux, roasted leeks, tomatoes, stock, zinfandel, brisket (relieved of fat and crusty black stuff). Seriously horseradish-spiked potatoes. A "lattice" of butter-dotted fresh sage leaves.

Swiss chard, wilted in olive oil with garlic, pepper flakes and lemon.

Batons of Granny Smith apple, sauteed quickly with rosemary and a tiny little hit of cumin - tart and sweet and herbal, with an ever-so-slightly resilient crisp exterior that gave way to creamy insides. GREAT as a vegetable.

Nostalgia served up piping hot can and will invoke sleep, so no pics.

Sweet corn, carrot, pork, dried fig (a few other chinese "herbal" things) broth.

Steamed tilapia in ginger, scallion, oil + soy sauce.

Scrambled eggs in quick-stewed tomatoes (simply "tomato egg" in Chinese).

Steaming hot medium grain white rice.

I can still feel the "wok hay", mmm.... Yummy for my tummy.

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Turkey more correctley leftover turkey. As we just had our Thanksgiving up here we have been eating turkey since Sunday. We are now on to a casserole, it is in the oven as I type and we are making soup with the last of it.

Cheers

Larry

Cheers

Larry

"My gastronomic perspicacity knows no satiety." - Homer

it's "that" time of the month and i am single - johnnybird is off to detroit for work so it was the single-wide trailer trash dinner - don't laugh. i have pictures of the single wide we lived in the first year of our marriage in hooks, tx.

iceberg lettuce, tomato chunks(ok- the last of the good jersey tomatoes), cukes and champagne vinegar - sorry i couldn't bring myself to eating russian dressing

green and yellow beans - ok, fresh again- boiled then sauteed in some garlic infused olive oil

garlic grillmaster franks, split and filled with blue cheese, wraped in pillsbury crescent rolls and served with ketchup, dill hamburger chips and sweet roasted red peppers - with a red stripe beer :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I haven't had the privilege of cooking lately, so when I returned home just as the sun was setting on this crisp, clear, fall evening, I decided to light up the grill, char some rack of lamb and open up a bottle of 2000 Trilogy from Flora Springs. (Note to self : buy a case of Trilogy)

gallery_21049_162_1097624859.jpg

While the herbed lamb was being grilled, I made a ragu of sautéed shallots, pearl onions, garlic, shitake, morels, tomatoes, roasted eggplant, demi glace and some red wine (2000 Trilogy), basically whatever I left like experimenting with from my pantry. Couscous sounded good so I decided to make it along with some blanched and sautéed spinach to separate the ragu from the couscous.

gallery_21049_162_1097624879.jpg

I might have been over-enjoying the beauty of the stars under the clear, moonless sky, as it appears that in awe of the night (and its darkness), I left the lamb on the gril a touch too long (it was still nice and juicy, but not medium rare, as I like it) :wub:.

This is what the final product looked like and it paired perfectly with the smooth, luscious Triology....hhhmmm...left overs for tomorrow :biggrin:

gallery_21049_162_1097624934.jpg

Edited - Forgot to mention the roasted eggplant in the ragu - Duh !

Edited by percyn (log)

What gorgeous presentation Percy!!

Both Blovie and I have colds so I wanted comfort food. I made a big pot of lentil soup and picked up a baguette at Fairway. Seltzer to drink.

Now, it's time to OD on tea and watch baseball.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I've eaten unusually well the past three of four nights.

Saturday was steamed lobster with a dozen of my mother's closest friends. We steamed some baby potatoes and had a roasted pepper dish as well. Drank some really bad wine but at that point, three or four bloody mary's later, it didn't matter.

The past two nights are my desperate last ditch to hold on to the tomato season.

Last night was a golden and red plum tomato soup with pancetta.

Tonight was rotini with a plum tomato sauce and fresh mozerella. I put the cheese and pasta in layers in the bowl so the cheese melted and was wonderfully stringy.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Percy, the sight of much of your food lately has been pretty much driving me wild. Where is it you live? ...You might find me on your doorstep some day.

I love how you did that timbale with the couscous and the ragu, with the blanched spinach in between. That is something I want to remember and try. And the Trilogy, yesss... isn't that good?!

We had lamb tonight, too, but I must say pale in comparison to that.

We were out of sync in our timing, and because of that I didn't even get a photo of the presentation... well let me start with what was good about it... Before dinner I hosted a brief work meeting with cheese, fruit, and Pinot Noir on the porch. Then after that was over and my colleague left, dinner... I've been wanting to try this Red Cabbage Risotto since I saw the picture of it in the current issue of Italian Cooking and Living. Here it was on the stove.

gallery_13038_170_1097629063.jpg

We had a little piece of a leg of lamb which we boned before grilling. That made it even smaller and a perfect size for two, so we wouldn't have leftovers, but we underestimated the time it needed to grill. Meanwhile the risotto was ready and so were the green beans with EVOO, garlic, and toasted bread crumbs. So we had the risotto as a first course, and then the lamb and overcooked green beans and Zinfandel. This risotto is better as an accompaniment than a separate course, and next time I'm going to add some diced pancetta as it is started. Then it will be perfect.

Last night Russ cooked. I requested "his" spaghetti, and we had that with salad and Chianti.

gallery_13038_170_1097629574.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Tonight I made homemade mac and cheese for the first time in ages. I think I've finally cured my son of his preference for Kraft Dinner :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Homemade (ok, work-made) creamy tomato soup. The girls go gaga for this stuff and many requested it appear more often when I surveyed them recently.

Celestial Seasonings apple cranberry zinger tea.

A shot of Nyquil for dessert. *snuffle*

Both Blovie and I have colds so I wanted comfort food.  I made a big pot of lentil soup and picked up a baguette at Fairway.  Seltzer to drink.

Now, it's time to OD on tea and watch baseball.

Freaky, except for the baseball, that's exactly what we had.

Last (late) night we had leftover lamb sandwiches, with mustard, arugula from the farmer's mkt, red onion and some slices of hard aged yellow cheese whose name I've forgotten. And pomegranates. Lots and lots of pomegranates. I love autumn...

Roasted a big-ass (for me) turkey on Monday. Made outrageous stock from it. Last night, turkey soup with homemade stuffing "matzoh balls." (OK, I got the idea from one of the first Rachael Ray shows I ever saw.) The stuffing recipe from the old Betty Crocker "Red Book" called for a cup of butter, but I only used one stick. It was still awfully buttery, in a good way. Tonight - turkey sandwiches with bacon and blue cheese. Tomorrow, turkey-white bean chili.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.