• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

No good very bad day.

Dinner:

gallery_15769_29_1096468151.jpg

Then decided to go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the bad day, eunny - but even that photo looks good. :biggrin: I can relate though, I had red wine and cheese straws. :wink:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Last night's dinner was a stir-fried sort of thing with pork tenderloin, sugar snap peas, flavored with garlic, ginger, and orange zest, and finished with a little glaze of wine and cornstarch; and egg fried rice.

gallery_13038_146_1096468589.jpg

For dessert I stopped by Wendy's and got a Frosty, and took it to the beach to sit and watch the gorgeous full moon over the ocean and savored it all. Yum and beautiful!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Warm freshly made rice pudding with rose water (This took *a little* longer than 30 minutes :smile:)

Elie

Would you mind posting the recipe? I love rice pudding and have never found th one recipe that I really want to do again.

sure..

heat 4 cups whole milk, 1 cinnamonn stick, and a 1/2 teaspoon salt making sure the milk does not stick so you do not get those brown bits from the bottom. If it does stick strain into another pot before proceeding with the recipe. Once the milk comes to a gentle boil, add 1/2 cup rice, a short grain like aroborio is excellent, but I used regular long grain rice this time with very good results. Reduce the heat to low so that the pot is simmering and stir frequently. Cook like that for about 40 minutes to an hour until the mixture is creamy and the rice is cooked, you might need to add a little extra milk if it gets too tight. Add about 1/3 - 1/2 cup sugar, depending how sweet you like it and rose water to taste (A tablespoon is about right for me, it's strong stuff so go easy on it). Stir and cook another minute or two till the sugar is dissolved. plate and serve, I love it warm maybe with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Elie

edit to fix the quotes

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

You are most welcome. This really is the best I've ever made. Do let me know how it turned out.

Elie

Thank you for that Elie. Although I'm not a fan of rice pudding, my SO loves it, so I'll be trying your recipe soon. :biggrin:

Yesterday..hmmm..

Salad with duck confit (gently warmed)

Seared skirt steak - seasoned with fleur de sel and pepper and seared in a cast iron frying pan (it was raining, so could not grill)

To drink - glass of landmark chardonay, another 1/2 glass of BV Pinot Noir and some sprite with grappas (yes, grappas and sprite...try it).

What shall I make today??

Edited by percyn (log)

a friend gave me some fresh picked chanterelles. i sauteed them with garlic, shallots & butter, deglazed with sherry and added some confited onions, some tarragon and a bit of cream and tossed it over fresh linguine. grated parm on top.

it was good, but very...subtle. it needed something else. maybe lemon zest...or fresh peas.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Ok,

So this is not from today, but a few weeks ago, I made some ginger infused short ribs (marinated in ginger, guiness extra stout, ginger beer, soy sauce, shallots and garlic):

gallery_21049_162_1096595665.jpg

Don't worry, I did not eat it as is, the pic is from when they came out of the oven. I skimmed the fat and made some couscous. Hmmmmm....sticks to your ribs.

A few days before that I had made eggs on shoestring potatoes (the recipe is posted here).

gallery_21049_162_1096595892.jpg

No photos.

We had a last summer meal. A hard freeze is soon. Time to enjoy while we can.

Sweet corn. BLT's. Best tomatoes of the season. Ice cream (peach).

Sigh.

Time to braise.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Simple, redy in less than 30 minutes Lebanese dinner:

slow scrambled eggs with potatoes, lots of black pepper and mint

Sliced preserved stuffed chili

Stinky Shanklish cheese with olive oil

Pita bread of course

Warm freshly made rice pudding with rose water (This took *a little* longer than 30 minutes :smile:)

Elie

My favorite kind of dinner...

Do you make your own shanklish? Someone told me its just yogurt drained very very dry with chili mixed in. Is that right? It always tasted a little more goat-cheesy to me. Actually, I like to approximate it by mixing goat cheese with stuff.

Also, the stuffed chilis -- that really reminds me of makdous, with eggplants. My local indian gorcery has these little eggplants that would be perfect for it -- is it basically the same recipe? Do you need to cook the eggplants first?

Boy am I full o'questions.

BTW my grandmother always had the rice pudding in the fridge for me when she knew I was coming. I still get a little wistful whenever I have it :smile:

Tonight I got home late. I boiled some organic choy sum & topped with oyster sauce, and steamed some dumplings I had in the freezer. It was nice and quick and even reasonably healthy, considering.

Everyone else - great looking and sounding food!

I ate beer and crow for dinner last night.

Hmmm, crow. This hasn't been your best week, eunny? :huh:

My favorite kind of dinner...

Do you make your own shanklish? Someone told me its just yogurt drained very very dry with chili mixed in. Is that right? It always tasted a little more goat-cheesy to me. Actually, I like to approximate it by mixing goat cheese with stuff.

Also, the stuffed chilis -- that really reminds me of makdous, with eggplants. My local indian gorcery has these little eggplants that would be perfect for it -- is it basically the same recipe? Do you need to cook the eggplants first?

Boy am I full o'questions.

BTW my grandmother always had the rice pudding in the fridge for me when she knew I was coming. I still get a little wistful whenever I have it  :smile:

Tonight I got home late. I boiled some organic choy sum & topped with oyster sauce, and steamed some dumplings I had in the freezer. It was nice and quick and even reasonably healthy, considering.

Hi Elie,

What is Shanklish cheese?

Michelle

I do not make my own shanklish (aka Arisha) and also I would never buy it since the bought version is usually pretty bad. My grandmother sends me batches of the stuff everytime she makes it. It travels very well and all I have to do is let the Shanklish balls ripen and get a little moldy, then wash, dry and roll in Zaatar. They will last in the fridge like that for a long time (make sure they are in a tight fitting container or it will stink up the fridge :smile:).

You are pretty much correct about the Shanklish, it is heated yogurt till curdled, drained, mixed with chili powder and salt, formed into balls and dried in the sun. I tried doing it once as an experiment. It did not go very well :smile:. I have not given up though and I will post about it once I have it down.

The chilies are indeed a variation on the eggplant makdoos. The difference is you need to parboil the eggplant till slightly soft to the touch but NOT cooked, they should still be crunchy. Then slice a pocket lengthwise in them and rub all over with salt, in and out side. Put them in a colander and put a heavy weight on them so they could drain overnight. Then you are ready to proceed with stuffing and preserving. Those small finger size eggplants are perfect for Makdoos.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tonight:

Frisee, duck confit and toasted cashew salad with mustard vinaigrette (I toasted the cashews using a little duck fat. Ooh.)

Slow-braised chicken thighs

I do not make my own shanklish (aka Arisha) and also I would never buy it since the bought version is usually pretty bad. My grandmother sends me batches of the stuff everytime she makes it. It travels very well and all I have to do is let the Shanklish balls ripen and get a little moldy, then wash, dry and roll in Zaatar. They will last in the fridge like that for a long time (make sure they are in a tight fitting container or it will stink up the fridge :smile:).

You are pretty much correct about the Shanklish, it is heated yogurt till curdled, drained, mixed with chili powder and salt, formed into balls and dried in the sun. I tried doing it once as an experiment. It did not go very well :smile:. I have not given up though and I will post about it once I have it down.

The chilies are indeed a variation on the eggplant makdoos. The difference is you need to parboil the eggplant till slightly soft to the touch but NOT cooked, they should still be crunchy. Then slice a pocket lengthwise in them and rub all over with salt, in and out side. Put them in a colander and put a heavy weight on them so they could drain overnight. Then you are ready to proceed with stuffing and preserving. Those small finger size eggplants are perfect for Makdoos.

Elie

Great, thanks for the info. The shanklish sounds like it might be worth a shot. That with some chopped tomato, onion and olive oil? Stinky stinky heaven. I wonder if a very slow oven would work instead of sun-dried, so my neighbors don't stage an uprising.

Really, the eggs on shoestrings looks delicious. Sounds like a brunch some weekend soon!

Thanks for the link to the recipe. I assume the shoestring potatoes are store bought frozen...? In this photo it looks like it, but there are images missing from the posted recipe and I just want to make sure.

Another question I have which I hope you or someone else will answer: How do you give a link to a post so that when clicked, it takes you right to that specific post and not to the top of the topic?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Really, the eggs on shoestrings looks delicious.  Sounds like a brunch some weekend soon!

Thanks for the link to the recipe.  I assume the shoestring potatoes are store bought frozen...?  In this photo it looks like it, but there are images missing from the posted recipe and I just want to make sure.

Susan, youre welcome, hope you will enjoy it (I have recently found this topic and enjoyed many of your posts). To answer your question, these are store bought "Pick-Nik" brand. You could make it with the frozen hashbrown, but this recipe is an Indian (Parsi) recipe, and the frozen hashbrown is not available in India, so I improvised with the canned shoestings, which is very similar to something called "Sali" in Gujrati. Here is a pic of what I used:

gallery_21049_162_1096723457.jpg

And another pic of when I was making it:

gallery_21049_162_1096723480.jpg

Sorry about the pictures on the original post,. If you want, I can repost with the images uploaded again.

Another question I have which I hope you or someone else will answer:  How do you give a link to a post so that when clicked, it takes you right to that specific post and not to the top of the topic?

Each post has a "Post #" next to it on the top right corner, that will give you a URL that takes you straight to the post.

Cheers

Percy

On the request of my five year old we had butter chicken last night - Chicken Makhanwala. I make mine with marinated chicken that is grilled and then simmered in a spiced tomato butter curry.

i12015.jpg

Monica,

Looks delicious...is this recipie in your book?

Also, this murgh makhanwala (butter chicken) seems to have a bit less gravy than the ones I typically indulge in, do you prefer it so?

Cheers

Percy

Making Tournedos Rossini...

i11910.jpg

Susan,

Where did you buy the foie gras from? I used to buy them raw (as you seem to have them) from D'Artagnan, but they have recently been unable to import them.

I also noticed that you are using Ghee, do you use it to sear the foie gras or do you use a dry frying pan?

Do share... :biggrin: