• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I went to a Monday night football party last night where we needed to each bring a dish.

What a feast! We had pulled pork sandwiches, 3 different kind of bbq sauces of our choice for the pulled pork, chicken wings, chicken drumbsticks, smoked salmon, crabmeat rangoon, 2 different kinds of salsas.

my dish was a pasta salad consisting of rotini pasta, 4 kinds of cheese, ham, bacon, red and green pepper, onion, chopped olives, sliced pimentos, old bay seasoning, basil and an entire bottle of ranch dressing.

I had planned on taking some pics but ate everything before I had a chance :hmmm:

Tonight's dinner was roasted goodies from the local farmer's market:

Roasted Cauliflower

Roasted Plum Tomato Soup with Roasted Zuccini and Garlic

Roasted Garlic on toast

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

inspired by this link in the UK media round-up, I made Matthew Fort's chard gratin - lightly cooked chard mixed with fried bacon, grated cheese and a little Dijon mustard (thank you chardgirl for your suggestion in the Weightwatcher's thread), topped with grated Parmesan and baked for about 20 minutes.

Fort suggests topping it with a fried egg, but I thought it was absolutely amazing as it was, and only wished I'd had more chard...

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Another reason I haven't posted much this past week, besides being busy with the house full of evacuated humans and dogs from Pensacola, is my camera has not been working. Now they have gone back to post-Ivan Pensacola and we are getting ready for Jeanne. Hopefully life will get back to normal soon, and hopefully the camera is not terminally ill, and hopefully I'll get back to this, my favorite eG thread.

We've had lots of good dinners. Last night we started with lobster ravioli. Then we had roast beef, rotisserie cooked on the grill; green beans with garlic, mint, and EVOO; and left-over coleslaw.

The night before was raw oysters, grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, and the original coleslaw.

Without photos, it's harder to remember what we had when, but I cooked whatever they requested and a good time was had by all.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This is a fun thread!

I work in the restaurant industry, and as is often the case, I eat before my shift starts at 4PM. Since I work for a place that is too cheap to make staff meal, I am usually starving by 11 or 12 at night. Sometimes I just ignore it and go to bed, but by 1AM last night when I'm finishing a martini with the hubby, its just too much.... Of course he was at a family party last night where he had sushi, grilled porterhouse, sausage, peppers and onions, etc....so HE was fine.

Luckily my husband is a professional cook, so when I'm hungry he usually feels challenged to pull something together out of our sparse ingredients (we usually buy as needed since we aren't home much). I started off with a yellow pear tomato salad dressed with a white wine vinaigrette and fresh sliced basil, as we do still have tomatoes and fresh herbs in our garden :smile: . Then he was able to break off 3 jumbo sea scallops from a frozen pack that we have provided courtesy of my dad, who received them from someone right off the boat where he docks. They were sautéed in a little butter and lemon and seasoned with s&p. Very simple but very yummy.

Of course I was still hungry after that... :rolleyes: We had some left over ground beef in the fridge from a meatloaf that I had made, so he turned that into a pan sautéed burger with blue cheese in the middle, with a finish in the oven so it was not overcooked on the outside. Served with American Sauce aka Heinz 57....and my hunger had left the building!

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

Flat-iron American Kobe-style organic steak, rare. Butter and Maldon sea salt.

Melange of sauteed peppers, purple and red. The purple ones lost their color, sadly, and looked like overcooked green ones when done (they were not at all overcooked though).

Fresh loaf of king arthur flour sandwich bread and caesar salad, then roast chicken w/root vegies, smashed red potatoes and corn souffle. All went nicely with this righteous sauvignon blanc from South Africa, of which name I am too lazy-logy to go out to the bottle tree and retrieve. Good night and God bless.

Ravioli made on the spot and stuffed with fresh porcinis, handmade year-old gorgonzola (made by my boss), shallots and leeks, served in sage-leek butter,

Mmm...

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

yesterday was cooking marathon since I am going to be manic over the next couple of weeks at work + I wanted breakfasts + lunches to bring with me. so I locked myself in the kitchen and made: cornmeal muffins; oat + banana bars; cinammon apple cake; chili; butterbeans with chorizo + chard; turkey burgers with rosemary + lemon; sort-of pork larb (just add fresh herbs!); slow-roast cherry tomatoes; roasted butternut squash; Matthew Fort's chard gratin; brown rice. Now all bagged and frozen.

but for dinner, I actually had a bucket of popcorn whilst watching The Motorcycle Diaries.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Mmmm. Last night. Stewed chickpeas with Indian spices, fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, lemon zest, and lots of parsley. Roasted two chickens that were rubbed inside and out with ground roasted cumin, paprika, ground coriander, cayenne, salt, and lots of pepper. Also stuffed them with two lemon halves and a few garlic cloves. Also roasted a split acorn squash that had a puddle of grapeseed oil in "the cup" which held a couple of cloves of garlic-- they became a sort of confit, I suppose.

Plenty of chickpeas and chicken for leftovers!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

White bean chili with lots of green chiles and roasted turkey chunks; cornbread with 4-cheese Mexican blend and jalapeno slices layered in the middle before baking. Boyfriend said it was "world class" and "award winning."

He is easy to please. :wink:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Was the ketchup homemade? If not, is there a source for it? It sounds delicious and intruiging. Tell me more :smile:

eunny -yes it was homemade. let me know if you want me to pm the recipe to you.

it was ridiculously easy - the hardest part being getting the tomatoes pureed enough.

tonight i'm at work so the three of us on are sending out for a "low-carb pizza" which is just the thinnest crust pizza without tons of gloppy cheese. i made a salad of spinach, red-leaf lettuce, red onion, cukes and tomatoes so we will get some fiber. :biggrin:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The good news is my camera works again. I was all in a tizzy about it, and took the battery out and put it back in and it worked. :blush:

The bad news is we still haven't gotten our porch repaired from the Frances damage, and we haven't finished cleaning it up after Jeanne, so we're having to eat dinner indoors.

Last night we had black bean and barley salad with cold slices of left-over spit-roasted beef.

Tonight we had a margherita pizza (used Boboli crust to make it easy after a day of hurricane clean-up) and salad of watercress, tomato, cucumber, and onion, dressed with balsamic vinaigrette.

gallery_13038_146_1096332358.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Still recovering from surprisingly strong jet-lag from our recent trip to Italy, paired with instant nostalgia. Add a dash of a longish drive at what would normally have been dinnertime in order to retrieve our cat from a friend's house, and what you get is a small plate of caprese salad alla what we have in the house: two astoundingly ripe Cherokee Purple tomatoes, half a big ball of buffalo mozzarella, olive oil, salt, pepper, a drizzle of real balsamic vinegar. Accompanied by plenty of good water. Sleep now?

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Everyone has been making delicious stuff. I ate out all last week :sad:

I read Basilgirl's dinner and immediately started dreaming about chili. So:

Chili and jalepeno bacon cornbread

gallery_15769_29_1096383762.jpg

Seared-off cubes of chuck, secret spices, some tomatoes, water. A little grated carrot for sweetness and thickened with cornmeal.

Proper not-sweet cornbread with a crunchy crust laced with bacon and cheddar and scallions.

I have a sudden bunch from Vero as evacuees until power is returned to ]their homes. So I pulled a veal Paprika, a broccolini=orange and spinach salad and chocolate ice cream for dessert. This was with 2 hours notice that dinner was happening.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Simple, redy in less than 30 minutes Lebanese dinner:

slow scrambled eggs with potatoes, lots of black pepper and mint

Sliced preserved stuffed chili

Stinky Shanklish cheese with olive oil

Pita bread of course

Warm freshly made rice pudding with rose water (This took *a little* longer than 30 minutes :smile:)

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog