• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

eunny jang - both of those meals look absolutely wonderful. isn't asiago the best taste?!

tonight johnnybird was late home from work(there's something new...NOT)

i was at the hawkwatch unitl 430 human time so had enough time to make enchiladas for dinner. baked chicken breasts shredded and mixed with sauteed onion, red and green cheese peppers i picked up at a local farm stand and minced olives. store bought enchilada sauce and reduced fat cheddar. a chopped florida avacado(with the last of the red leaf lettuce for me) and split a red stripe. i used green onion and sun dried tomato wraps and it worked out quite well. next time i think i'll do a green mole, though.

the next two days(lunch and dinner)- leftovers for both of us. mac and cheese, filet with roasted fingerling potatoes, zucchini and yellow beans, foccacia and tomato salad, and chicken enchiladas. :cool:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner was 'leftovers soup'

Shredded a smoked chicken leg/thigh quarter, added a chopped up chile of unknown variety, also a shallot, some chives, black pepper, crushed red pepper, some chicken broth, some fish sauce, and swirled in an egg at the last moment. Pretty tasty, if a bit salty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

There is some beautiful food here, as always!

Our dinner tonight tasted good, but could not be called beautiful ...so no pics.

Boneless turkey thighs in red wine garlic sauce (brown, not pretty),

Over creamy oatmeal with Parm-Reg cheese "polenta style" (Light brown, not pretty)

Broccoli cooked with olive oil, anchovies, and garlic (green, OK looking but not photo-worthy either)

Cucumbers in sour cream and golden balsamic vinegar (ditto).

And Zinfandel.

Thursday through Sunday dinners are in the Hurricane Food thread.

Last night it still wasn't safe enough to move the grill from the porch, back outside, so we had a Labor Day Cook-In: Buffalo burgers and Usinger hot dogs.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Feeling down-and-out, and poor, and harried tonight. The weather's doing odd things - damp and almost-but-not-quite chilly here.

Just for me:

gallery_15769_29_1094609472.jpg

Roast cauliflower and red onion, one poached egg, and some dressed watercress to mop the plate clean.

Did the trick.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

eunny, great pictures!!!! the last one, watercress mop :biggrin: , sounds amd looks delicious

i made country (big and thick) pork ribs in oil, ketchup and cumin on the bar-b-q with yellow rice and whole bar-b-q chinese eggplant with bar-b-q garlic in the rice

then grilled some nectarines and served with cream. simple stuff really but very satisfying. since being new here, i'll have to get the camera out!!

There is some beautiful food here, as always!

Our dinner tonight tasted good, but could not be called beautiful  ...so no pics.

Boneless turkey thighs in red wine garlic sauce (brown, not pretty),

Over creamy oatmeal with Parm-Reg cheese "polenta style" (Light brown, not pretty)

Broccoli cooked with olive oil, anchovies, and garlic (green, OK looking but not photo-worthy either)

Cucumbers in sour cream and golden balsamic vinegar (ditto).

And Zinfandel.

Susan, I agree with you that there are seriously delicious-looking meals here, but please don't let that stop you from posting photos of yours, even though you may consider them not photo worthy, I would be very interested in seeing them. Some of us don't actually know what "polenta-style" oatmeal looks like. :smile:

Eunny, that plate would sure cheer me up as well! And, girl, those shoes!!!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

marinated salad with Paul Robeson tomatos, artichoke hearts, herbed nicoise olives, a little garlic, evoo, and lemon

coffee crusted filets of tenderloin with jalapeno redeye gravy

garlic mashed potatos

oven roasted brussel sprouts

grilled pineapple with a ginger basil dipping sauce

it was pretty good, too.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Dripping-down-your-arm BLT's - wheat bread, double mayo, double tomato - and sweet potato chips. Since we don't have any type of dedicated toasting apparatus, I brushed the bread with the bacon fat and toasted it in the cast iron skillet. Yum :wub:

I am going to try to post here more often so I don' t get lazy about dinner as I adjust to a new job. You all will keep me honest, I'm sure. :raz:

Sunday:

Cherry tomato and goat cheese tart with cornmeal crust.

Poussin (brined, pan seared, and then finished in the oven) on a bed of le puy lentils with poussin jus

Salad of mixed greens with hard cooked egg and bacon vinagrette

German plum tart with hazelnut streusel.

I'm still getting the hang of the new ImageGullet. Uploading pictures for the purpose of posting them in a thread seems like it got an awful lot more elaborate, but probably I am missing some efficient way to do it. Anyhow, let's hope it all works okay.

I bought some chat masala today, because I was feeling nostalgic for Vik's chat house in Berkeley. Made these chana and green beans and then served them with yogurt, chopped red onions, sev, and chat masala. Good, good stuff, though certainly no actual chat known to man.

gallery_10299_41_1094623049.jpg

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

indulgent dinner for me on my own on the sofa: a huge heap of steamed purple sprouting broccoli, a dry Riesling, and about half a crackly baguette to mop up the oh-dear-I-seem-to-have-made-rather-a-lot-of-hollandaise.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I was in need of comfort food...home late, tired from the gym.. ha! I had some left over bolognese sauce in the freezer. What good luck.

Ravioli w/bolognese

green salad

glass of wine

some grapes, fresh lychee and frozen blackberries from the last run to the Greenmarket.

I felt much better! :biggrin:

Polish Night-Comfort Food
indulgent dinner for me
feeling nostalgic
I was in need of comfort food

It seems everyone needed comforting stuff this week! Good, I thought it was just me :biggrin:

Goodbye to summer :sad:

gallery_15769_29_1094736036.jpg

Sorry about the soft focus on the picture. A rather obscenely beautiful (when I bought it, anyway) rack of lamb with an herb crust; a dried-sour-cherry and rosemary pan sauce; lemony spinach that turned inexpicably brown after, like, one second in the pan, and a gratin of potatoes, morels and shittakes.

chicken stir fried with bell peppers, black beans, ginger, garlic and a sauce made from soy, rice wine, and peanut butter. Very quickl and good.

served with steamed rice, homemade pickled ginger, and homemade chilli oil.

dessert: I know it has nothing what so ever to do with this meal and it sounds a sort of odd ending: Fergus Henderson's Treacle Tart, I simply had to see how it tastes. Suffice to say there are no leftovers of the tart or the whipped cream that went along with it. That almond crust is perfect.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last night: giant popover stuffed with wild mushrooms, sweet corn, heirloom tomatoes. Tonight: unfortunately for me, dinner in front of the television as the semi-dreaded football season starts again :angry: so, pizza with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil from the garden. At least I know the food will be good. I think. :unsure:

for lunch, my daughter and i had fries made in beef dripping (suet) with italian sweet sausage decased, pattied and fried in beef dripping with coconut creamed corn. the coconut and corn seemed to go really well with the sausage. so much so that when we're making sausages, i think i'm going to add some corn and coconut to some pork based sausages. just an idea.

for desert, we had some chai tea made with sweetened coconut milk.

Pecan-crusted chicken with lemon-thyme beurre noisette

Green beans with bacon and vinegar

Real biscuits

Watermelon

For 40 (and for JPW and Mrs. JPW, too.)

dinner for six, shopped for and cooked in the time between leaving work (6pm) and guests arriving (7.30pm). so the new thread on quick afterwork cooking came in handy...

- Parmesan wafers whilst lolling on sofas (them not me, I was a blur of motion in the kitchen)

- chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto, baked with chunks of red pepper, whole cherry tomatoes, whole garlic cloves, rosemary and a slug of EVOO

- Puy lentils simmered in stock with spinach, garlic, lemon + EVOO stirred in at the end

- creme fraiche let down with a little natural yoghurt, with chopped spring onions, mint + parsley stirred in

Followed up with perfect figs, runny Brie, Lindt chocolate eggs and baby marshmallows. oh yes, dead sophisticated, me.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Everyone's food sounds and looks beautiful.

Hillvalley - where did you get your tomatoes? Your soup sounds great.

Un-traditional fish tacos:

gallery_15769_29_1094821037.jpg

Red snapper marinated in garlic and lime, grilled and tucked in corn tortillas with a little charred-tomato red salsa I made, some sour cream thinned with milk, a bit of fresh peach salsa and a healthy squeeze of lime. Green rice, black beans, and more of that peachy stuff on the side. LOTS of cilantro.

YUM!

I made Eggplant and lentil stew with pomegranate molasses, the recipe from a Paula wolfert article in Food and Wine. I had cooked the whole thing slowly in a clay pot and let it sit like she recommends for several hours. It was luscious and very satisfying.

Served with fresh yogurt and toasted pita bread.

dessert: Alton Brown's apple crumble. Hollow the apples and stuff with honey and crumble mixture. Served with vanilla ice cream. I love this because it is quick to prepare, tasty, looks fantastic, and there are hardly any dishes to wash.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog