• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

very lazy supper last night:

two salmon fishcakes - bought fresh from the smokehouse at Craster on Sunday ... with salad leaves, halved baby plum tomatoes, green beans - dressed with french dressing and sliced avocado as well. dessert was pear and almon tart which lasted about 15 seconds!

dinner will be even lazier tonight - something off the room service menu in my hotel ... (must not have chips .... must not have chips ..)

Yin

X

recently returned from a wonderful vacation in spain. for a variety of reasons, we very rarely ate anything that wasn't attached to a hoof at one time in it's life cycle. so i've spent the last couple of days cackling in my tomato jungle as the juice runs down my arms.

sunday dinner - nettles farm ravioli (roasted shallot) with many-tomato puree. the tomatoes from our garden are so luscious the sauce was almost creamy. i added lots of chili flakes, olive oil, salt & fresh basil, & served with grated pecorino. and 4 superfluous prawns. they were intended for a totally different meal, but i ended up adding some into the sauce at the end.

last night was even better. rob made green papaya salad with green beans and more of our cherry tomatoes and the best rendition yet of the dressing (a fish sauce, garlic, thai chili, lemon and sugar combo) i used a scoop of the dressing to saute a couple left over prawns to munch while we plated. cooked, the sauce was delicious! i can't wait to use that dressing as a marinade for grilled scallops. i also pan roasted a slab of swordfish i'd liberally salted and peppered. flipped once in the pan, topped with minced cippoline from the garden and a big squeeze of orange juice and popped it into the oven until done.

widmer blonde to drink.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Must have done this dinner within the past week but I'm losing track of which days. Evening obligations have me searching for quickie meals as well as using up stuff in the freezer. A quickei teriaki style marinade with key lime juice as the citrus was applied to the shrimp for an hour or so and I used up the last of the baby red new potatoes that have been starting to sprout eyes in my cupboard. Three minutes for the taters in the microwave and finished them on the grill while the shrimp was grilling (which didn't take long). That along with a quick microwaved ear of corn actually made a for a really good meal that had a total of about five minutes prep, an hour to chill out and read while the marinade was workign and about ten minutes cooking time start to finish. I should do this more often :rolleyes:

i11018.jpg

Last night: tuna with emulsified lime juice-olive oil (yum), two kinds of heirloom tomato focaccias (one with Point Reyes blue cheese, the other with caramelized red onions and basil), and a mixed green salad. No pictures this time 'round.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Tomato salad, of course, and barley risotto with caramelized onions, roasted eggplant, red peppers, and mystery spinach-like green. The green came in our farm share this week and is a lot like spinach, but more wild tasting and with a slightly mucilaginous character. It was perfect with the barley.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Tonight was:

Creamed spinach, minus the cream. I wouldn've used cream, but as I moved to pour some in, I realized it was spoiled, so it became spinach sauteed in butter, onion, and garlic.

and...

Chicken breast (skin and bone on) sauteed in butter, garlic, and onion, topped with habanero sauce.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Heirloom tomatoes every night for the last week. If it's true that "you are what you eat," I'm a little tart.

Linguine with uncooked heirloom tomatoes, sautéed red onions, with minced parsley and basil (recipe from Molly Katzen's Still Life with Menu). Also focaccia with fresh rosemary and sea salt.

Pizza-

Roasted red-pepper n- garlic sauce

Herbed chicken breast

Mozzarella/parmesan

Slivered red bell peppers, slivered onion, olives and artichoke hearts. Green salad. Beer. Yum.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Roasted mushrooms, a hunk of wonderful manchego, and a large handful of roasted almonds.

Was hungry, and had about 15 minutes to eat. But in fact, it was a dandy dinner. And later I had a beer.

Tanabutler: what is "una"? (with emulsified olive oil and lime juice)

Dinner was very spicy pan fried shrimp with avocado mousse to cool things down

Sugar snaps Pan roasted garlic potatoes with thyme

Watercress, orange, red onion salad because I actually think I may have reached capacity with heirloom tomatoes! :laugh:

Tanabutler: what is "una"? (with emulsified olive oil and lime juice)

Dinner was very spicy pan fried shrimp with avocado mousse to cool things down

Sugar snaps Pan roasted garlic potatoes with thyme

Watercress, orange, red onion salad because I actually think I may have reached capacity with heirloom tomatoes! :laugh:

Tuna. I've got a problem with one of my eyes. Didn't see it.

Thought that I'd finally start putting in my two cents on this thread.

Dinner last night was homemade ravioli filled with cannellini bean puree in a balsamic flavored butter sauce.

Accompanied by a green salad containing some amazing tomatoes from the local farmers' market dressed in a vinagrette.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Mario's dad's meatloaf from the new Bon Appetit - I used turkey instead of beef and didn't have two cups (!) of chopped fresh basil, only about 3/4 cup, and didn't put in the 1-1/2 TABLESPOONS (!) of dried oregano called for, but it was still awesome. It has sun dried tomatoes and red wine in it too.

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Ratatouille

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I haven't posted to this site yet either, but I thought this might be the best place to start.

It is too hot here to cook, so it was cold boiled potatoes with fresh herbs & mustard vinagrette. Tomatoes from the garden - yellow pear, red pear, ping-pong cherries, regular cherry and orange grape mixed with salt, pepper, basil & olive oil.

Smoked salmon sliced thin with dijon mustard and diced purple onion and crusty french bread and brie.

That's it.....oh yeah......a bottle of wine.

Not too interesting but it was 98+ at 6:30 PM.

Welcome, Jane. That sounds really good.

i11079.jpg

i11080.jpg

i11081.jpg

I've been on the go when around home, and I've been out of town, so I haven't been able to post about some good food we've had recently. Tonight was Raspberry Grilled Cornish Hens, potatoes, corn on the cob, our standby salad, and our first 2003 Beaujolais-Villages. My husband is not as fond of Cornish Hens as I am, but this he loves. They are marinated in raspberry vinegar, fresh squeezed OJ, vegetable oil, fresh raspberries, garlic, S&P: blended.

I had the best of the raspberries saved out and set aside to garnish the dish, and forgot about them. I hate it when that happens, and that happens pretty often with me. Still, they were nice looking and tasted great. The vanilla raspberry martinis before dinner were yummy, too.

Some other meals recently were Emeril's Chicken Cacciatore, stuffed last-of-our-garden peppers, and some good pasta dishes. Last night was a Home Alone night for me, and I was craving a sandwich, and that's what I had... one of the Boar's Head meats--pesto and parmesan ham or something like that, sharp provolone, lettuce, tomato and mayo. I had a little bowl full of pistachio nuts with it, and I drank sparkling wine.

Last weekend we ate some fine meals in Pensacola, visiting my son, and I'm looking forward to eating (and drinking good beer!!!) in Philadelphia this weekend.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last weekend we ate some fine meals in Pensacola, visiting my son, and I'm looking forward to eating (and drinking good beer!!!) in Philadelphia this weekend.

Susan, I used to love going to Pensacola, but I haven't been in years.

I seem to remember that wacky Irish pub with the dollar bills all over the walls--was it MacGuire's?--had some superior nachos.

And as long as we're in the area--there is a drugstore in Foley, AL, with an old fashioned soda fountain and a soda jerk. They have the absolute best chocolate shakes I have ever had in my entire life, and that's a tall order, because I make a point of having chocolate shakes rather often.

Does anyone know the name of that drugstore?

Noise is music. All else is food.

I....finally...did it - I got a camera!

i11139.jpg

A little chicken roasted with sage, green beans with a dollop of a butter-enriched reduction of balsamic vinegar and shallots, and polenta heavy with oven-dried grape tomatoes, parmesan and sage, broiled to crispness.

i11138.jpg

Jeff is hungry!

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I'm playing bachelor tonight.

Grilled cheese sammiches. Sandwich sliced potato bread with a slice of mild cheddar and some shredded gouda on each. Browned up in a butter/olive oil mixture.

Chips and bread & butter pickles on the side. Mayfield Turtle Tracks for dessert. Life is good.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Tonight:

Mussels with white wine, shallots and cream

Slow-roasted brandywine tomatoes with garlic and chervil

Crispy cod on mushroom-bacon-red wine ragout

A Julia Child homage dinner:

Brie

Whole chicken baked in the Le Creuset atop many carrots and onions and handfuls of fresh tarragon. Made a thick carrot-tarragon sauce after the chicken was finished baking.

Grilled pork loin marinated in Marsala, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, sage, EVOO.

Whole rabbit braised in the other Le Creuset in mirepoix, aromatics, white wine, cream, stock, thyme, mustard, etc. Made sauce from strained braising liquid.

Stuffed tomatoes provencal.

Duck-fat roasted potatoes with duck cracklings.

Salad of Romaine and mixed farmer's market greens--carrot thinnings, lamb's quarters, Swiss chard, etc., dressed with white balsamic and EVOO.

Baguette toasts.

Mixture of fresh and roasted peaches with vanilla ice cream.

Wine, wine, wine.

For 6.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Lingini and clam sauce. Been jonesing for it all weekend and I can't explain why. Lots of garlic and red pepper flakes sauteed in olive oil. One can clam sauce, one can whole baby clams. Lots of fresh chopped parsley. A splash or two of white wine. Voila!

I'm feeling very sated and am going to go sleep it off. Did I mention I finished the wine? :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

was trying to creatively use up some ingredients from my fridge and freezer so I had:

lunch - prawns warmed through in a sauce of sauteed onion, mushrooms, and half a tub of baby plum tomatoes, touch of sun dried tomato puree and some extra water - all cooked down till it collapsed, reduced, caramelised .. whatever. Accompanied by freshly steamed rice and wilted spinach. and a pot of bio live yoghurt to finish. was tastier than it looked

had some fresh beet and potato with salad leaves for supper later .... felt very virtuous re: my five fruit and veg a day requirement by the end of the evening!

Yin

X