• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I am making idlis and sambar for the first time tonight. I already made the idlis, and I am getting ready to make the sambar now...

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener

i was in the mood for fish sandwiches, so i took some of the tilapia i had in my freezer and pan-fried them. (i didn't have enough oil to bother with deep-frying) served it up on baguettes with lettuce and mayo.

I have my own patio grown tomatoes for the first time this year. Made a mozzarella e pomodoro similar to what's shown above with fresh grown basil and parsley (from the same patio garden). Threw in some slices of orange tomato fromthe market and drizzled with a tiny ribbon of really, really good balsamic (the syrupy kind that's good for serving on strawberries) and some fruity EVOO. I could eat this for dinner every day. There was a steak and some potatoes involved but they're hardly worth mentioning when tomatoes are this good.

Mine is not so artfully arranged but it sure was tasty.

i10355.jpg

I have my own patio grown tomatoes for the first time this year. Made a mozzarella e pomodoro similar to what's shown above with fresh grown basil and parsley (from the same patio garden). Threw in some slices of orange tomato fromthe market and drizzled with a tiny ribbon of really, really good balsamic (the syrupy kind that's good for serving on strawberries) and some fruity EVOO. I could eat this for dinner every day. There was a steak and some potatoes involved but they're hardly worth mentioning when tomatoes are this good.

Mine is not so artfully arranged but it sure was tasty.

i10355.jpg

Do you like anchovies? Mash some anchovies with the basil and a little bit of the anchovy oil and use that as a dressing for the tomatoes. I am so happy tomatoes are finally in season!

Celebrating summer (although the tomatoes were not as good as they look, still a few weeks to go, apparently) from the Farmers Markets in Hoboken and Newport (NJ), "mozzarella e pomodoro" (aka "insalata caprese) taking advantage of the fresh mozzarella in Hoboken;  prosciutto and melon (finally, ripe melons!), and some assorted fruit.

That is such beautiful food, not to mention well photographed. How appetizing! Looking like that, it HAS to taste good!

Our life takes on an every other week thing as far as how much effort we put into cooking on week nights, because of our second jobs. This is the week for less effort. Monday night we brined a chicken and cooked it on the grill's rotisserie, with rosemary, garlic cloves, and 2 lemons inside. We had baked potatoes, broccoli, and a real good New Zealand Pinot Noir (!) with it.

Last night we didn't fix dinner, we each grabbed something on the run.

Tonight I worked for two hours and Russ is cooking. The chutney part is a recipe which would cause Emeril to say the too often repeated, "Call your cable company and tell them you want smellivision"... Caribbean Turkey Burgers with Honey Pineapple Chutney. It is from the National Honey Board. If it turns out tasting as good as it looks and smells, I'll be back to post more.

Tomorrow we each work our day job and our other job. It looks like I'll be meeting with someone over dinner at The Olive Garden. Then it's Friday, and dinner is happy hour food! Time flies when you're having fun.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We just returned to reality after a week in the mountains of SW Colorado. My sister and family rented a house with us and we (I) cooked every night, something i don't get to do at home. Here are a few of our menus:

mushroom/pecorino bruschetta

grilled rib-eyes

boursin potatoes

corn on the cob

green salad with cilantro dressing

eG onion confit/boursin bruschetta

grilled pork chops

eG roasted cauliflower

deviled eggs (a whole dozen for 7 of us - all gone that night!!)

more corn on the cob (Olathe, CO, one of the best)

Roasted pork loin with white wine/onion/caper sauce

sauteed potatoes with parlsey

green bean casserole (a request)

garlic bread

tropical fruit salad with vanilla bean syrup

Stop Family Violence

Tortelli stuffed (thanks eGCI!) with salmon, chevre and pecorino in sage butter with green beens, red chard and crushed red pepper. Made 5 dozen; 4 dozen are in my freezer and the rest are in my tummy.

i10370.jpg

[Crappy pic taken with my phone's camera]

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Last night at school was:

Tenderloin Medallions with Exotic Mushrooms, Madeira/Veal Stock Reduction

Prime Rib Roast Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish

Oh yeah, and:

Veal Milanese

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Chive Pancake and Scallion pancake

Punjabi Flounder :wub: (This thing is tasty!)

Chinese Jung-pork, mushroom and dried shrimp sticky rice in banana leaf.

Sauteed Shanghai Bok Choy

Edited by dumpling (log)

I love anchovies just about any way you can fix them (especially straight from the jar) except on pizza.

Same here. Whenever we cook or order pizza, our anchovies are on the side.

I'm sure there's been an anchovy thread on eG... I'm gonna search!

Vermicelli Pescatora is a great and quick recipe if you like anchovies.

Olive oil, minced garlic, crushed red pepper....saute.

Tomatoes, nice and ripe, seeded and chopped or Italian whole in the can drained and broken up. A good amount of anchovies. Measuring by the little tins they are usually sold in, use an entire tin with the oil, for a 28 oz. size can of tomatoes or equivalent fresh. Add to pan, cook about five minutes till anchovies dissolve.

Generous amount of minced flat-leaf parsley. Add, simmer five minutes.

Toss with hot vermicelli and serve up! Yum.

The anchovy flavor is 'there' but marvellously blended.... :rolleyes:

Carrot Top, we do love pastas with anchovy sauces. Sometimes we make "red" sauce, with the tomatoes much like you described, and sometimes "white" with just the olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, anchovies, and parsley. These are good dinners from the pantry, when nothing is planned and you can fix it quickly at the last minute.

I finally remembered to search for an anchovy thread, but didn't find one devoted to them, so...

Edited to add a link to the new anchovy thread.

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Tuna melts (tuna made with minced red onion, celery, capers, pickles, S&P, lots of Old Bay, mayo) on english muffins, extra sharp cheddar

Crab-seasoning flavored potato chips

Sierra Nevadas :smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tuna melts (tuna made with minced red onion, celery, capers, pickles, S&P, lots of Old Bay, mayo) on english muffins, extra sharp cheddar

Crab-seasoning flavored potato chips

Sierra Nevadas  :smile:

That is the first tuna melt that has sounded good to me! I now have that on my ever-growing "list," and a SNPA will be the perfect beer. :smile:

Punjabi Flounder  (This thing is tasty!)

Dumpling, what is Punjabi Flounder?

It's a recipe out of "The Everything Thai Cookbook" by Kotylo. Pretty nice, interesting recipes.

You briefly pan fry the fish on each side after sprinkling with salt, pepper and patting on some turmeric. Then take off and saute one chopped onion in the same pan. Process the onion in food processor into a paste with garlic, ginger, one seeded Thai chili, almond slivers, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, ground cloves. Heat spice mixture in same pan.

Add saffron with a little boiling water to the mix in the pan. Stir in half a cup of yogurt. Let sauce cook for a few minutes and then add the fish back to coat.

The fish worked really well but any firm fish including shrimp and scallops probably would be great.

I should add they were very thin filets so they cooked fast.

Last night

Thai Vegetable Dumplings

Seared Coconut Scallops

Curried Biryani with peas, raisins, peppers and onions

Curried Chickpeas

Crazy Coconut Pie(out of Kotylo's book). Nice, warm and comforting.

last night was dark chocolate mole with pork and green peppers made into burritos with queso fresco :wub: and lettus and crema fresca . and some rolling rock . i live right next to P.A. so the beer is so much different then when i lived out west its not skunktacular.good summer beer. :biggrin: get in ...........MY BELLY. :biggrin:

To start: The skin from two chicken leg quarters that I'd seared in rendered bacon fat and then finished in the oven. Ohhhhhhh good chicken skin.

An hour later, for dinner: Extra extra meaty double-stock chicken soup/stew, made summer-herby with fresh thyme and farm celery

Fresh blueberries

Coffee with cream and Splenda

The skin from two chicken leg quarters that I'd seared in rendered bacon fat and then finished in the oven.

Coffee with cream and Splenda

Hmmm - chicken skin cooked in bacon fat, coffee with artificial sweetener. Sometimes it's just better not to ask.

Tonight we had tuna steaks on the grill with vera cruz-ish sauce (onion, garlic, capers, green and black olives, tomatoes, fresh oregano) and a summer squash "pie", grated and baked with sour cream, fresh cheese, egg, flour, parsley and dill, sprinkled with parmesan.

Crab Louis

For some reason, Dungeness crab is showing up at Costco.

A base of chopped Boston lettuce, slices of hard cooked eggs, and tomato chunks.

Sprinkled with crab.

Thousand Island dressing adapted from James Beard on the side. A cup of mayo, a half cup of heavy cream, a quarter cup of chili sauce, a quarter cup of finely minced green pepper, a quarter cup of finely minced green onion, juice from half a lemon.

A wonderful, light, Summer dinner.

Jim

Edited by jmcgrath (log)