• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

(the other) susan - love ipa but watch out for the kick. i prefer my beers more hoppy than johnnybird does so WHEN he actually brews he does one batch for me and one batch for him. he is the stout and porter lover, i am the lager and ale lover. almost as bad as the fact i am a red sox fan and he is *SHUDDER* i can't even voice the name of THAT TEAM.

tonight was shrimp marinated in a mix of garlic, ginger, low sodium soy, tamari, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. shrimps were sauteed, removed from pan and the marinade was reduced with some red wine vinagrette. served over local arugula with creamy german potato salad (potatoes, turkey bacon, dressing of dijon mustard, mayo, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and some olive oil) with fresh white corn - can you tell johnnybird is on a carb binge? washed down with a cloudy bay sauvignon blanc.

what i REALLY wanted was to capture the bunnies one of our neighbors refuse to pen. they are all over the neighborhood and tonight one of the other neighbors was hand feeding them carrots. that's right .... aromatics.. :hmmm::hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It hit 97 here today (third day in a row) with a heat index of like a million F. I cut the grass and when I got finished I had to rest for a large part of the afternoo. I grew up somewere hotter than this (Mississippi Delta) but it was damn hot today. All I wanted. Hit the neighbors spring fed pool for a while with the boys and the dogs and all was right with the world for a while. The water here (Abita Springs Water-if you watch the Quicktime thing, that bridge she crosses is next to my house) comes out of the ground at 62 freeflow, no pump needed. Some of the old pools are at least 75 years old and really cool (both literally and figuratively) :wink:

Everything had to be prepared outside as I don't have a kitchen (I am going to start a thread and explain the insanity, but for now suffice it to say that I lost my temper at a dishwasher and two walls and all of the cabinets had to pay) and even if I did it was too hot to heat up the house.

We had

Tacos al carbon:

Corn and Flour Tortillas (warmed on the grill by the diners)

Grilled Flank Steak

Pico de Gallo

Black Beans

Grilled Onions

Grilled Yellow and Green Peppers

Homemade Peach Ice Cream for Dessert

Big hit with all of the mouths that seem to arrive here around dinner time. Big paint ball match manana. Lots of 14 and 15 year old machismo flying around our house tonight.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This evening I had leftover pork adobo that my neighbor cooked yesterday evening. (I made hushpuppies as my contribution.)

I had some plantains that were completely black, perfectly ripe. I cut them into 3/4 inch slices, poured 1/2 a cup of lemon juice over them and set them aside.

Meanwhile I put 1/4 pound of butter and some canola oil in a skillet and as soon as the oil/butter was hot I tossed in 3 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds and a rounded teaspoon of minced garlic, stirred it until the garlic began to color.

I added the plantains and cooked them until they were carmelized, added salt and pepper to taste then added 1/4 cup of sweet chile sauce and stirred for a couple more minutes.

This was the best plantain dish I have ever made. It went extremely well with the pork.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My parents love veal piccata, so I decided to use my "annual veal quota" to fix them dinner tonight. Served with polenta and a caesar salad (which my dad made and sort of messed up). Everything was okay.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

just finished making the main course for tonight - trial stew. ground buffalo, carrots, potatoes, green and yellow beans, onions, garlic, beef stock, leftover white corn off the cob. if it meets johnnybird's approval i'll freeze it in quart bags that he can take with him when he goes hiking in the catskills next weekend. one bag for breakfast and one for lunch.

arugula salad with pepper, croutons and goat cheese - trying to use up the perishables before we leave for vt on tuesday

OH!! OH!!

whoever mentioned the bbt - THANK YOU :wub::wub:

made one for johnnybird for lunch and he loved it(course i used turkey bacon) and threw a piece of cheddar on it. he loved it

later a cooking lesson for the birdy - blueberry breakfast cake featuring toast dope :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I cooked dinner for a friend who is house sitting for my parents. It was great to have someone else to cook for.

We had oven roasted corn, butterleaf lettuce salad with homemade vinegarette, and clams and shrimp steamed in white wine and garlic with a homemade Thai cocktail sauce.

For dessert I broiled blueberries. My friend had his over vanilla ice cream but I ate mine plain.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

i10221.jpg

i10222.jpg

i10223.jpg

Last night, rabbit ("ranch raised" here in central Florida) for the first time...

First we had the pate' that I made with the giblets, and then pasta with a black truffle cream sauce. The rabbit was marinated in olive oil, a little lime juice, salt and pepper, and lots of fresh thyme. It was started stove top, browning it and getting to use some of its yummy brown bits in the black olive and balsamic sauce, and finished on the grill.

2001 Bleasdale Shiraz-Cabernet, Langhorne Creek went well with the rabbit.

i10224.jpg

i10225.jpg

Tonight was grilled beef tenderloin steaks, served over a red wine reduction/butter sauce, homemade french fries, sauteed mushrooms, and arugula and watermelon salad. The 2001 Blackstone Merlot, Napa Valley was real fine.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Friday night: Thin crust Boboli pizzas with fresh red and yellow tomatoes on both, sauteed shiitakes and chovies on half of one for The Boyfriend; capers and tapenade on half for me; lots of garlic oil on both; provolone, mozz, haloumi, pecorino, fresh basil.

Saturday night: Chicken on the grill pan, marinated in Stubbs mopping sauce (good stuff, that Stubbs); Ina Garten's corn pudding w/ basil & cheddar (outstanding); tee-tiny zucchini from the farmers market sauteed with shallots, onion, tomato.

Last night: Pork loin stuffed with garlic/herb salt, in the Set It and Forget It; homemade foccacia with rosemary & gray salt, a little tomato juice and red wine vinegar sprinkled on before baking; light purple eggplants also from the farmers market sliced the long way, brushed with olive oil, baked a little, then layered with tomatoes, basil, smoked Fontina and blue cheese, baked again.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

- Thai-style salad of grated red bell pepper, courgette [zucchini], carrot + green mango tossed with fish sauce, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, lime juice + chopped fresh coriander. this was so beautiful I wished I had taken a photo. Topped with grilled salmon fillets, sprinkled with red chilli flakes and a little balsamic.

- to follow, homemade gingerbread with big chunks of crystallized ginger

we ate this whilst lying like Caligula on the sofa, watching Pieces Of April. ah, Sunday night suppers.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

On Friday, we had a “napoleon” of heirloom tomatoes, warm purple-hulled peas with a mint vinaigrette and marinated goat cheese. Main course was grilled double cut pork chops (brined, of course), served atop braised greens, grilled peach halves and 24 year old balsamico (from the Babbo cookbook). Dessert was boring individual chocolate-mint cakes. Still good, though.

Dinner last night was homemade tomato soup with pesto, parmesan-crusted fried flounder, pasta with fresh pesto (I made over a gallon yesterday), and thyme-infused butter beans. Dessert was peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Broiled wild Alaskan salmon with lime, cumin, and a chili powder mix with cinnamon; served with brown basmati rice and green beans tossed with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Dark Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with whipped cream for dessert.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Last night: Jerk chicken, mango, cole slaw and sweet potato "fries". Served with beer and a really yummy pinot noir I didn't see the name of.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Got a wild hair up the..!

Thanksgiving in summer- Turkey breast, smashed potatoes with chives and thyme, cornbread stuffing, gravy, green salad with blue cheese dressing, buttermilk rolls and scads of wine- husband loves merlot.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Summer rolls (cold rice paper rolls) with spicy chili dipping sauce and lots of wine! It was one of those Mondays!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Leftovers:

A finely chopped rasher of Gloucester Old Spot bacon sauted to release the fat , then the crispy bits reserved.

Sauted cold new potatoes and fried tomatoes, finally sprinkled with chopped rosmary

keeping this warm I tossed in the cold runner beans and carrots along with the golden bacon and made them dance.

In the end a poached egg as having read the egg thread it seemd to me it would be best to use one up sooner rather than later. :biggrin:

Edited to: change marjoram to rosmary, fool that i am!

i10272.jpg

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Paula Deen's Pot Roast. :shock: In the Crockpot. I thought it was really good; The Boyfriend deemed it "salty." What do you expect with a can of mushroom soup (with roasted garlic, not what Paula called for) and 4 beef bouillion cubes?

Heavily buttered, salted & peppered egg noodles.

Mario's Green Beans Toscano.

Leftover pot roast for sandwiches YAY!!!!

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Cooking just for me this week.

Spareribs were on sale for less than $1.50 (!!)/pound, but barbeque was the last thing on my mind. So I baked them the way my mom used to, with a sweet, sticky marinade of soy, mirin, scallions, garlic, honey, and plenty of musty red Korean chile powder.

I also fished pieces of crispy skin out of the pan of chicken fat I had rendering on the back of the stove, along with the diced onion I'd scooped in there to flavor it. Then, I ate them :)

Celebrating summer (although the tomatoes were not as good as they look, still a few weeks to go, apparently) from the Farmers Markets in Hoboken and Newport (NJ), "mozzarella e pomodoro" (aka "insalata caprese) taking advantage of the fresh mozzarella in Hoboken; prosciutto and melon (finally, ripe melons!), and some assorted fruit.

antipasto-fxd.jpg

caprese.jpg

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's