• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

That is impressive, Binkyboots. I'm not sure how I'd do with dietary restrictions, but I'm sure I wouldn't do as well as you do. I hope you keep us posted on your continual search for nutritious and interesting meals. Thanks for the laugh about the potential rusting of your staples. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

For Father's Day, my hubby wanted:

Boiled Shrimp

Fried Shrimp

Fried Fish (talipia)

New potatoes sauteed in butter

Strawberries and Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Then he had to go to work, poor baby.

Seafood accompanied by cocktail and tarter sauces, both homemade.

Stop Family Violence

Lunch: Chicken Piccata from the Dinner Doctor cookbook, with roasted baby red potatoes and these tiny green peppers from one of my container garden plants--they smell and taste like regular green peppers (well, they're better) but they only get to be about four inches long and twice as wide as a jalapeno, then they turn orange.

Anyway.

Supper: Filet Mignon with red wine sauce from the How to Cook Everything cookbook (except that the meat came with a piece of bacon wrapped around it) on a bed of steamed spinach. I salted the spinach too much and the meat was still raw in spots, but otherwise it was very good--for my cooking anyway!

Rachel Sincere

Dinner (per dad's request):

Asparagus, Prociutto (sp?), Gruyere, Fontina, and Roasted Garlic Pizza

and for dessert:

Homemade Rhubarb-Strawberry Cobbler with homemade white chocolate/cocoa nib ice cream.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Salad: yellow tomatoes, basil, feta, pepper, sea salt, olive oil with juices being caught by shards of toasted pita

accompanying

Barley pilaf with white wine and garlic scapes, topped with

Chickpeas with caramelized onions and escarole, topped with

Greek yogurt mixed with garlic and lemon juice

The latter combination was the best-tasting thing I've made in a long time. AND there are leftovers, the gods be praised.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I came to post my dinner just so's everyone else could look and say "wgh!"

Protein shake, jazzed up with some sugar-free Da Vinci Chai syrup, which is deeply ironic in view of the second course...

the remaining half of a small Chocolate Extreme Blizzard, the first half of which was eaten after taking my beloved out to see Rivers and Tides, the Andy Goldsworthy documentary.

(It is a Cheat Day, and just prior to the shake and blizzard, I lifted heavy objects multiple times.)

Binky, I'm sure you've thought of this, but what about protein isolates? Some of the flavoured ones are quite good, and they don't have to be mixed into large, bulky shakes; you can use just enough liquid to get them to a "pudding" consistency. And an unflavoured whey or soy protein isolate could very easily be stirred into your mashed potatoes or pureed baked beans. This is a trick I use fairly often when making vegetarian foods that I intend to eat with A., to keep my "ratios" right without having to haul out the dreary ol' chicken breast side dish every time.

Tofu's okay, but it really doesn't have a terribly high protein content, comparatively speaking, and a fair amount of fat as well. In the kind of amounts you'd be able to eat, would it make a major difference?

For Father's Day:

Shrimp and cocktail sauce

Grilled porterhouse with Worcestershire-chive butter

"Fauxtatoes," cauliflower pureed with chives, bacon, cream, cream cheese, butter

Grilled asparagus tossed with EVOO and cherry tomatoes

Low-carb bourbon cheesecake

Beer

Noise is music. All else is food.

Binky, I'm sure you've thought of this, but what about protein isolates?

yup, I got some boxes of protien shakes home from the hospital, sort of milky drinks, not my favorite things but I do try and drink one a day.. have thought about churning one in my ice cream maker just in case it tastes better frozen.

peanut butter (and other nut butters) thrown in with a shake is my favorite way to get protien in, I tried liquidising ordinary food (suggestion by online support) but it's awfull, I'd rather find an alternative than drink chicken through a straw :wacko:

so.. tonights dinner

#1 weetabix

#2 garlic roasted Poussin with roast potatoes and veg

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Started with champagne, porc and duck pate (smuggled in from Paris),

Pork loin rubbed with garlic, rosemary and proscuitto roasted in Vin Santo with Belgium endive.

The whole menu sounds wonderful!

Where did you smuggle the pates to??

Would you mind explaining a bit more detail about the pork? I never thought to roast it with Vin Santo. What an interesting idea!

Thanks!!

Binky, I'm not talking the pre-prepared shakes, but the isolate powders you mix yourself. Check with your nearest handy-dandy supplement store (they may well call themselves a health-food store, but will cater largely to bodybuilders) or something like a GNC.

A great many of the powders ARE extremely rude, but many others are more or less inoffensive and some are actually not bad. (I've never had a premixed protein drink, on the other hand, that I'd willingly put down my throat more than once. They're strangely glopulous.) And as I say, the powders, whey and soy, both can be bought in unflavoured versions and blended into other things.

the isolate powders you mix yourself. Check with your nearest handy-dandy supplement store (they may well call themselves a health-food store, but will cater largely to bodybuilders) or something like a GNC.

ahha!

I'll give it a go, new tastes (especially protienlicious ones) are always welcome :biggrin:

chocolate is my favorite in the build up drinks I have just now, or vanilla... it also helps to add in a teaspoon of vanilla extract or almond extract to the drinks before mixing, just boosts the flavour a little.

Edited by binkyboots (log)

wierd al ~ spam

parsley was taking over the garden so i made tabbouleh and topped it with roasted yukon river salmon. i rubbed the salmon with salt flavored with thyme, rosemary and white pepper, then added a thin layer of shallot mustard and roasted until delicious. if you can get it - i highly recommend the splurge.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Nero, it looks like you figured out the Atkins thing pretty well! Yum. But doesn't wine have fewer carbs than beer?

I don't know. My dad is not a big wine drinker. :rolleyes:

From my Atkins days, I remember that wine is one carb per ounce.

For lunch: made a tomato sauce from How To Cook Everything that included three fresh tomatoes, evoo, fresh basil, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper. It is supposed to go on fettucine according to the recipe, but I used spaghetti. Very good, but not very filling.

I had leftovers for supper.

Rachel Sincere

For lunch: made a tomato sauce from How To Cook Everything that included three fresh tomatoes, evoo, fresh basil, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper. It is supposed to go on fettucine according to the recipe, but I used spaghetti. Very good, but not very filling.

RSincere--

Like you, I came onto eGullet as I was just learning how to cook. I went through Julia Child's books (oh, it was awful) and bumbled my way into culinary school a few years later. I love to read about your new adventures in the kitchen, and I hope you keep posting!

Sunday-

Official start of summer backyard bbq meal:

-Grilled boned and butterflied chicken, marinated overnight in garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.

-Grilled t-bone steaks and tenderlions basted with a mixture of worsectershire, soy, honey, an lime juice

-Tomato and asparagus salad. the tomatoes (several heirloom varieties)picked fresh from the garden. The thin Asparagus was boiled till tender and shocked in ice water. The whole thing was tossed with EVOO, vinegar and basil leaves.

-Hummus dip.

-Abita Turbodog to drink

Monday-

-Pan seared duck breasts with simple teriyaki glaze (recipe from Peterson's The duck Cookbook).

-White rice with scallions

-Pickled ginger. Homemade from the China Moon book and very tasty.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Dinner at Home -- the restaurant, that is, not my actual home -- and wasn't very hungry. Thus, a salad -- really nice, with a pow-pow-powerful mustard dressing and sunflower seeds -- and a small plate of house-made salami and local gruyere, plus a glass of the proprieters' new merlot.

after a weekend spent overindulging in St Emilion (duck! foie gras! echire butter! croissants! RED WINE...) I came back to London determined to eat vegetables (and not slathered in butter either). So for supper I made some short grain brown rice, tossed with cooked peas, tiny cherry tomatoes, peeled raw broad beans, EVOO + lemon juice and lots of chopped parsley. and some broccoli, blanched then dipped in olive oil + salt + chopped fresh red chilli and griddled.

I glow with health.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

BF's family is coming to town today so i was obsessively wiping spills so his mother doesn't know i let her son wallow in filth.

he wasn't hungry when i got home from work last night so i snacked on a couple slices of istarra and a small chunk of brie.

BF's dad's birthday just passed so we made flourless chocolate cake. (licked beaters) and drank a bottle of wine while it baked, cooled and glazed. (tested glaze for proper thickness)

salsa. spicy - insanely hot for only having a couple serranos in it. and chips. i think that was at about 10pm.

so...cheese+wine+fiery salsa+chocolate = a stomach ache at midnight. :unsure:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

tonight:

split pea soup with spiced butter

barley bread

rice pudding (or baked semolina, undecided)

wierd al ~ spam