• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

BTW, Nullo, what is Shirataki? I'm too hungover to Google.

The noodle form of the much maligned konnyaku.

It is a calorie-less, carb-less, slightly jellied in texture noodle made from some type of yam native to China and Japan.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Last night was chicken lettuce wraps (similar to the PF Chang variety) with broccoli stir fry noodles and a nice Riesling.

tonight is roast chicken with cornbread pudding and a spinach with apple and red onion salad. Limoncello cheesecake for dessert.

Pasta salad: farfalle, cold poached salmon, peas, dill, with a lemon juice and creme fraiche dressing.

A nice pink Cotes de Provence to go with the pink fish.

SethG's fabulous sourdough - thanks Seth!

To continue the pinkness, watermelon for dessert. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Last night I made grilled swordfish with steamed mussels, shrimp, and garlic.

sword-muss-1.jpg

sword-muss-2.jpg

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

sword-muss-1.jpg

sword-muss-2.jpg

That looks phenomenal. Is there a recipe/method/ingredients list you could share?

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Wow

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Tonight we had polenta with parmesean cheese; braised bison shanks (in red wine and demi glace with carrots, onions and celery); field green salad, steamed asparagus. With a lovely spanish red wine.

matilda254

Bison shanks, how big are those? Do you have a picture? braised bison shanks, your kidding... , living in Englandland i cannot think what they can be.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Let's see if I can get my first image to work:

This will no doubt amuse Paula Wolfert and make everyone else feel a little sorry for my lack of protein. Since I put the boy on a plane today, I get Lebanese bachelor dinner! (Zaatar, home-cured olives, organic goat cheese feta, turnip greens stewed in olive oil, with caramelized onions.)

i7595.jpg

This will no doubt amuse Paula Wolfert and make everyone else feel a little sorry for my lack of protein.

Oh, gee. Sorry for your lack of protein.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Late night, well early morning, dinner:

scrambled eggs with basil, onion chive blossoms and Parmesan

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

mm.. last night:

feta and walnut cypriot loaf

green herby salad

watermelon and feta chunks

cold ham and garlicy french sausage (sliced and rolled in herbs)

eaten outside (makes most things taste better!)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Oh my gosh...I have sooo been craving mussels. Please share your recipe!

Well, it's not exactly a recipe. Take a large beautiful head of garlic, peel the cloves, and dice them coarsely. Set them to simmering gently in a large quantity of very good olive oil (I use Spanish "arbequina"). Before they get a chance to brown, make some room on one side of the pot and add the shrimp shells to sautee until they turn color and flavor the oil, then remove them. Just as the garlic looks like it may start to brown (you can cover it for a while as it cooks too), toss the shrimp in the oil to start cooking, and cover the whole thing with a good handfull or two of chopped Italian flat parseley and fresh basil leaves, and stir around. Turn up the heat, dump in the mussels and a few ounces of white wine if desired, and cook until the mussels open. If you like a thicker more flavorful "juice" remove all the seafood and cook it down a bit. Then, I just served all of this over the grilled swordfish.

sword-muss-1.jpg

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Lunch Today:

Braised Pork Country Style Short Ribs with Sauerkraut

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Saturday night we had our first Kobe steaks! ...Very, very good, but not so perfect that we will buy them frequently. Just as exciting to us was having the wine we had been saving for a special occasion, Hendry 1997 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Block 8. With the steaks, we had a mixed mushroom saute with a little drizzle of truffle oil, steamed broccoli, and horseradish mashed potatoes. The first course was grilled quail with a Port-Balsamic-reduction-butter sauce on mixed baby greens, and J. Lohr Merlot.

Last night we had grilled chicken, "roadside BBQ style," grilled corn, crabcakes, pasta salad, and Beaujolais.

Tonight it's grilled sausages and Kobe burgers, corn and avocado salsa, and other go-withs for a traditional Memorial Day cookout.

Happy Holiday to all, with thanks to those who sacrificed for our country.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

pizza! with cherry tomato sauce, basil and mozzarella :wub:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Friday:

Salmon on the grill, with citrus, soy, blah blah blah.

Saturday:

Chicken breasts and polish sausage on the grill, some breasts with jerk, some with lemon pepper, some barbeque, spicy mustard for the sausage, blah blah blah.

Sunday:

Chicken thighs and rice, with peas and mushrooms, blah blah blah.

Monday:

HWE NAENGMYUN - cross-cut pieces of crunchy cartilage-threaded skate sashimi and cold potato vermicelli, slices of pear and cucumber and pickled ginger, all cloaked in fiery Korean chile paste and swimming in rice vinegar. Accompanied by delicious, salty, boiling hot glasses of beef broth to soothe the fire. Spicy, vinegared quarters of raw blue crab, kimchee, etc etc etc on the side. Nothing blah.

still in the throes of a hangover (who'd have thought 'come round for a plate of pasta' would mean 'oh look it's 3am and we're watching A Knight's Tale ), I mulched a tin of anchovies with some mint and garlic, spread the resulting paste on some lamb leg steaks and roasted briefly, finished under the grill. Served to me with healthy life-giving green beans. Mmmmm.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

wide rice noodles, red onion and red bell pepper tossed with peanut butter, soy, lime juice fish sauce, mint.

ribbons of cucumber, salted and pressed, stirred with vinegar, mint, sugar, chile flakes.

pork chops soaked in fish sauce, soy, lime, garlic, ginger, etc etc and grilled.

I've been eating Memorial day leftovers all week.

Collard greens with white balsamic and smoked turkey leg meat, potato salad, chopped pork BBQ, smoked spareribs...

Last night I had a cryovac frozen yellowfin tuna steak that had been defrosted on the weekend and had to be cooked. dash of butter and EVOO in a non-stick skillet set very hot, rubbed coarse salt, adobo and fresh ground white pepper into both sides and seared for about 2 minutes on the first side and 90 seconds on the second side. Wonderful... so tasty... I was feeling very fishiverous and ate the entire steak with nought but a bit of potato salad on the side.

One of my local grocery stores is carrying these cryovac yellowfin steaks at $6.99 per pound. I'm guessing that i'ts the frozen at sea type from a fish factory boat but pretty damn good. With fresh yellowfin running $17 per pound in this area I intend to stock up on these.

Monday:

2 pork tenderloins on the Weber, after marinating in EVOO, lime juice, garlic, onion, thyme, etc.

Duck-fat roasted potatoes.

Bread.

Noise is music. All else is food.

We had a birthday celebration for our son last night. Its sort of turning into a tradition...a big, lavish meal for teenagers.

Amuse: cold watercress soup finished with some sweet red onions marinated in fresh orange juice

Rhode Island Bay scallops served in an orange beurre blanc sauce. Must of have been good, people were drinking the sauce!

Pistachio crusted crown roast rack of lamb with roasted herb potatoes.

"Winter Cauliflower": roasted in a white sauce and finished with some parmigiano cheese to brown the top. Have you ever seen teenagers fight over cauliflower? Just because it was on your plate did not mean it was not fair game.

Sauteed green beans. (at this point, they were so content I was able to put on some Dinah Washington music and they were happy)

Fresh Greenmarket leaf salad with excellent cheeses! We ate the cheeses on slices of ripe pears. A mild blue sort of cheese (carephilly), a really goaty goat cheese (the nice guy at Dean & DeLuca described it as just like they sliced the goat), and this runny, oozy Italian 3 leche cheese, that I do not want to remember the name of because then I would get it every day!

Fruit platter with rainer cherries, gooseberries, figs, strawberries and bing cherries

Cranberry cheese cake. (by now we were listening to the Doors, turned up very loud)

Warning: do NOT try this on a Wednesday night...it's nearly suicidal.