• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I particularly like the scallops.

What sort of caviar is that?

Hi, Steve. It was the cheap "caviar" that is in all the supermarkets -- the whitefish, not the lumpfish. While the good stuff would be better, I can make do with the whitefish for everyday stuff like this. The lumpfish... that's a bit hard to take. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Tonight was a memorable dinner. The food turned out perfectly, and the wine was superb.

We had already rotisserie-grilled a capon and a goose, and tonight we did a duck. This was the best duck of all time... crispy skin, juicy, tender, and tasty!

i6941.jpg

With the grilled duck was grilled polenta and grilled zucchini.

i6943.jpg

We had optional roasted red peppers for the polenta... the polenta was good with, and without the peppers.

i6944.jpg

Then the salad... tomatoes and cucumber fresh from the garden.

i6945.jpg

The wine was 2001 Somoma County David Bruce Pinot Noir, delicious.

Sunday evening: medium rare rib eye steaks; assorted summer squashes, red and green bell peppers, green onions, jalapenos, marinated in EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Everything cooked on the charcoal grill.

Mixed berries with cream.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Tonight

Eggs

i7058.jpg

Ham

i7059.jpg

Eggs and Ham

i7061.jpg

Green Eggs and Ham (and Muenster and Jalepenos for Dad)

i7063.jpg

Sam, I am

(actually, Dave I am) I did this as an image gullet experiment and it took me about 4 minutes from the point when I sat down (including resizing my images)

Green Eggs and Ham
...Pretty Cool!

I did that once, making the eggs green by adding pesto, and scrambling them with pieces of prosciutto.

Tonight was a disappointing pasta sauce made from left-over grilled capon... No matter what, stewed chicken tastes like stewed chicken. I wish I made green eggs and ham!

Sunday night (likely the last time I'll be able to cook this week!)

Wild mushroom and duck risotto

Shanghai bok choy

A fabulous California Pinot Noir that I can't recall the name of.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Wild mushroom and duck risotto

That sounds delicious. Thanks for the great idea. We made broth from the duck carcass the other night, and were wondering how to use it. :smile:

Needed some comfort food, so dinner was breakfast: these skillet home fries, perfectly scrambled eggs and toast, cardamom tea with sweetened condensed milk.

i7107.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

from pcarpen -

monday: grilled skate, grilled fingerlings, grilled ramps, asparagus and pecorino

that skate looks amazing. i've noticed it lately in my market but i've been intimidated to cook it. i've only had it once - pcarpen, would you be so kind as to post your recipe?

did you have your fishmonger remove the membrane?

many thanks!

reesek

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Tonight was vegetables, tortilla chips, crackers, and bread, and a warm Mexican style spinach and cheese dip

i7115.jpg

and a Greek style composed salad

i7116.jpg

brought together nicely with a bottle of Italian wine, Salice Salentino.

Tuesday: Worked very late so glad to have beef covered with extra hot red chile puree - cooked ahead in the crockpot on Sunday - in the frig. Pulled and served with: excellent low carb tortillas (Santa Fe Tortilla Company), grated extra sharp cheddar cheese, and shredded cabbage with a vinaigrette. Rancho Zabaco Zin.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

from pcarpen -
monday: grilled skate, grilled fingerlings, grilled ramps, asparagus and pecorino

that skate looks amazing. i've noticed it lately in my market but i've been intimidated to cook it. i've only had it once - pcarpen, would you be so kind as to post your recipe?

did you have your fishmonger remove the membrane?

many thanks!

reesek

well, it's hardly a recipe. just rubbed with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put onto a hot, clean grill. squeeze of lemon when it's done. from the Q&A with Eric Ripert, skate is the one fish that he likes cooked well done. so i've done the same here.

Q&A with Eric Ripert

the skate comes fully cleaned and removed from the membrane, so i had no extra work to do. a really easy and tasty fish. i think a lot of people are scared off by it, but it's no different than cooking any other sort of fish. you just have to be careful handling it while it's cooking because it can fall apart pretty easily. good luck.

We had a celebratory Bistro meal, as one of our 'surrogate' sons came home from college. Steak au poivre, farmhouse potatoes, roasted onions. The salad course was mesclun, sliced pears, roasted figs and some roasted soft ro.... I can't remember how to spell it! Soft French cheese with a rind that was gooey and crunchy.

i7145.jpg

well, it's hardly a recipe. just rubbed with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put onto a hot, clean grill. squeeze of lemon when it's done. from the Q&A with Eric Ripert, skate is the one fish that he likes cooked well done. so i've done the same here.

Can you actually flip the skate on the grill? I love skate, but did not think you could grill it...

edit: grammar!!

Edited by hathor (log)

Can you actually flip the skate on the grill? I love skate, but did not think you could grill it...

sure you can grill it. although most dishes i've seen have it sauteed. as long as the grill is clean and hot, and it helps to give the grill a wipe of oil before you put the fish on. leave it on until a crust forms and it comes away from the grill, and flip it.

sure you can grill it. although most dishes i've seen have it sauteed. as long as the grill is clean and hot, and it helps to give the grill a wipe of oil before you put the fish on. leave it on until a crust forms and it comes away from the grill, and flip it.

Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.

Yesterday night: Gnocchi alla sorrentina (gnocchi sorrento way - baked gnocchi with tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and basil

i7195.jpg

Saltimbocca alla romana (jump in your mouth roman style - veal, cured ham and sage)

i7197.jpg

Gattò di patate (potato pie: potatoes, parmigiano cheese, pecorino cheese, mortadella, mozzarella, breadcrumbs, nutmeg, eggs)

i7196.jpg

We celebrated the recharging of freon in our air-conditioner with the making of chili. Sourdough bread on the side. We were going to make some greens on the side but the chili was so good most of it was "tasted" before we got around to anything else.

This version was exceptional, I have to say...I used some mole paste in it since I had it on hand. It really added an interesting dimension. Plus tomatoes, beer, chipotles, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika & chiles. And vinegar to brighten...well, you know the drill. This was my favorite version yet...and my spouse declared it a member of "the list", so I guess he liked it too.

Next time I just need ot make a bigger batch.

Made my best salad ever the other night. Seared scallops over frisee and bacon. Made a vinagrette with some of the warm bacon drippings added to EVOO and Banyuls vinegar. Gave the scallops a squirt of lemon juice right before putting them on the salad.

It was a knockout if I do say so myself.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.