• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

We made an easy-pleasy spring-ish dinner for the moms:

A whole salmon, stuffed with breadcrumbs, mushrooms, onion, garlic, paper-thin slices of lemon, parsley, etc etc. Tied and tossed in the oven.

New potatoes with dill and butter.

Absolutely excellent creamed spinach.

Big green salad.

Cdn. Prime steak bbq'd perfectly

Wilted spinach with leeks

Mushrooms in a brandied/cream/glace sauce

Cheese course

Really nice Shiraz that I've now forgotten the name of!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Friday night:

Scrambled eggs

Bacon

Bagel + cream cheese

PBR

Saturday night:

Nice smelly Brie + crackers

white Bordeaux, very happy with it

Gnocchi + roasted garlic/tomato sauce

red table wine

a piece of Dove chocolate

Sunday for Mom:

More of the nice smelly Brie + crackers

Turkey breast seasoned and grilled on the convection grill

Mom's Stuffing (also grilled, en papillote)

Roast duckling (skin rubbed with creamed garlic and mustard)

Roasted pears and onions (glazed with honey and lemon juice at the end)

Morel mushroom risotto

A very nice reduction sauce of duck stock + Port + aromatics, you know the drill

Baguette

more Bordeaux

And the best part is, my mom bought ME a Kitchenaid mixer and gave ME all the duck fat to take home :wub::wub:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Grilled red snapper, stuffed with shallots, garlic, thyme, lemon

I had some leftover boiled potatoes, which I sliced up & grilled, so:

Salad of grilled new potatoes, grilled scallions & grilled romaine lettuce, with dressing of olive oil, grain mustard, white wine vinegar, cracked black pepper and sea salt.

Dinner for one tonight since Holly is out of town. Pan-roasted steak with mushrooms and brown sauce:

Before -

steakdinner1.jpg

After -

steakdinner2.jpg

I really need to get some proper lighting. My digital camera and overhead kitchen lights certainly don't show a favorable image of this dish.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Chicken meat picked off a carcass from a roasted chicken I made last weekend (stuffed with tarragon, thyme, lemon, garlic, and rubbed with lots of butter...so the meat has all those flavors in it :wub:). Combined with teeny-tiny brunoise of onion and celery. Hellman's and Maille. Voila: chicken salad.

Working through the duck fat.

Skin-on bone-in chicken breast for BF, skin brushed with duck fat, seared in cast iron then finished in oven

Flour tortillas

Refried beans, crusted (with duck fat) in the cast iron

Onions (in duck fat) cooked down for an hour or so in the cast iron until they were nice and brown and soft

Sour cream

Noise is music. All else is food.

It was a beautiful day here so we were inspired for dinner.

Organic Irish Salmon with a lemon/dill/dijon glaze

White Asparagus (Hollandaise on the side :wub: )

Fiddleheads

Fruit platter to pick at later (Watermelon, pineapple, grapes, strawberries)

As always, I am enjoying all the good looking and sounding food and appreciate the ideas.

I've had several dinners out recently, but here are some of the most recent cooked-at-home.

Celery and Saga Bleu

Radishes, Brie, and bread

Crackers and smoked Gouda

Grilled Ribs with Cherry Cola Glaze

Chopped salad

Zinfandel

Shrimp Po' Boys

Tossed salad

Chardonnay

The only one with a photo...

Grilled lamb chops

Spaghetti with sauce of garlicky green tomatoes

An Italian red table wine

i6706.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

A big late of collard greens and az mound of leftover cheaddar cheese grits. really -that was it. Unless you count the popcorn at the bad movie that I rushed off to see.

Tonight will be better - grass fed beef skirt steak is marinating right now with garlic, ginger, habanero, allspice, honey, soy, coriander, salt and pepper, onion and key lime juice. I haven't a clue as to how I'll prepare it but with some garlic smashed red potatoes and broccoli on the side I believe it will be tasty.

Looks wonderful calimero, but your stove top looks even better!!! I'm envious!

Welcome to eG!

How would I use up a last little piece of oxtail and its very rich sauce?

You never make risotto anymore, she says. Doh!

The oxtail broth was from hung Angus. It was very tasty and featured star anise. I made the risotto with nano rice sauté with spring onion and garlic. Some white wine (another inept NZ attempt that tasted of asparagus) and then the broth in true risotto method. Our golden marjoram is threatening to take over the garden so some was added with the flaked oxtail, near the end. Then rested with a manticare of butter and pecorino. I used a bit too much cheese.

i6622.jpg

Followed this with raspberry and balsamic tiramisu. Promising, but I think the usual espresso would have been a better match for the rasps.

Perhaps strawberry and balsamic. Needs work, anyway.

i6627.jpg

Edited by Steve Martin (log)

No photos tonight, but an interesting and good meal... We cut up and grilled a capon, and had an herbed vegetable medley, truffled fries, and a Georges Duboeuf Fleurie with it. We've been working on this truffled fries thing since I had them at a restaurant in Palm Beach County last month. The first two times we tried it, we did homemade fries before doing what they told me at the restaurant... after deep-frying, toss fries in a skillet or wok, with white truffle oil, on medium-high heat and add some Parm-Reg. Tonight we used frozen fries, Ore-Ida Steak Fries to be exact. It was closer to duplicating what I had at the restaurant with my Kobe Beef Burger. :wub:

in hindsight, i probably should have taken a picture of monday's dinner, but i was too hungry to dig up my digicam. :wink:

monday dinner:

roast leg of lamb with garlic, rosemary, and thyme

broccoli and green beans stir-fried with garlic

rice

I've been less ambitoius about snapping pics of my dinners lately but also cooking less for the past week or so. A recent thread aboiut cheese grits prompted me to make a batch - very good indeed. Used some whole grain white corn stone ground grits from the Callaway Store that I had sitting unopened in the cupboard. Mixed in a dab of butter and a couple ounces of 5X NY state cheddar. Unbelievably good - creamy, cheesy and lots of flavor (unliek the grocery store grits I've had in the past). Served with baked ripe plantain and deboned jerk style chicken thighs.

i6769.jpg

Simpl dinner last night but still good - my first stab at skirt steak. Made a sem-jerk style marinade, a very light cheddar cheese sauce for the steamed broccoli and did some garlic, red onion and caramelized onion smashed red potatoes. Tons of garlic - very tasty and the bright spot in what had been a dismal day (not to mention the good company - my old GF showed up with flowers and a card to cheer me up - go Carmen!)

i6770.jpg

Wednesday:

While driving home from work I was flagged down by my 2 close friends/neighbors and persuaded to join in an impromptu celebration with them and their morning cook.... the premier restaurant location up the street from their tiny cafe in our tiny village, that they have been coveting for many years, became theirs with a lease signing this afternoon! I am so happy for them!!! :wub:

We spent several hours looking over the place and dreaming and planning and then dinner miraculously appeared before our eyes.... ribs, grilled asparagus, garlic spinach, some Chilean red wine.... Yum!

(However, lots of work ahead... the chef who was running the place before, who had massive personal problems, left it an absolute mess.... :angry: rotting food in the coolers, 2 years worth of ash under the grill........ oh I'll spare you and not continue!!! .... But it will be up and running by Memorial Day! )

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Dinner will be leftovers from last nights dinner, but I thought I should post the lunch I made today for my mother:

Dilled Zucchini

Saffron Chickpeas (thank you pcarpen for the recipe these are fabulous!)

Grueyre and Procuitto di Parma Panini

all simple and delicious. Lunch had a very Mediterranean feel.

Dessert later today will be a Rhubarb Pie I made this morning and some homemade vanilla ice cream. Thank goodness the few farmer's markets we have here in Columbus produce some beautiful fruits and veggies, the rhubarb was gorgeous yesterday and inspired me to make my first Rhubarb Pie.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

i6860.jpg

i6861.jpg

Panko-Breaded Loin Pork Chops Tonkatsu Style, with Chicken Rice and Hibachi Zucchini and Onions

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

HWOE was coming home from Connecticut via Grand Central, so I asked him to bring some fish from Wild Edibles.

To go with whatever he brought, I made an Asian-style slaw with cabbage, carrot, scallion green, and green chile, dressed with sweet chile sauce, lemongrass, and white wine vinegar. Cooked some jasmine rice. Chopped some cilantro, parsley, mint, and recao to sprinkle on top.

And he arrived with . . . Alaskan ivory salmon, to cook in the cast-iron grill pan. A once-a-year treat. :wub:

Paumonok Barrel Fermented Chardonnay, and we are very, very happy.

Fresh, fresh, fresh! We had our first significant picking from the garden

i6876.jpg

and I went to the seafood market to buy whatever looked freshest and best... I got fresh shrimp and scallops, and live soft shell crabs.

Using our cucumbers, chilled cucumber and shrimp soup;

2003 Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough.

i6872.jpg

Seared sea scallops on potato rounds and caviar... for the sauce, essence of the scallops, deglazed with vermouth, reduced, swirled in some butter;

Cheap bubbly, extra dry.

i6873.jpg

Cornmeal crusted soft shell crabs with cilantro-lime tartar sauce (put the tartar sauce in halves of our peppers), green beans, our first yellow squash, and garnished with the first of our cherry tomatoes;

2002 Victoria Street California Chardonnay.

i6874.jpg

Dessert was an awesome match... chocolate candy from Italy that our Danish family gave us. They had little pieces of candied citrus peel, hazelnuts, and almonds on top. I'd almost trade my first-born for some more of this candy.

2002 Quady California Orange Muscat.

i6875.jpg