• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

15 minute short rib cuisine using a microwave (to combine some recent threads):

Take Sunnyside Farms wagyu short ribs braised in red wine from fridge.

Scoop off all easily-accessed solidified fat

Pop container in microwave just long enough to liquefy liquids

Place meat in bowl and pour liquids into 8" omelet pan

Warm meat in microwave for 2 minutes

Reduce liquids to a syrup over medium-high heat

Spoon over warmed meat

Snarf

I was listening to Sarah McLachlan while doing this, to tie in yet another thread.

Tonight was a Southwestern-style chicken salad on a plate of mixed baby greens, with black bean and corn salsa, and a French red table wine (Chevalier de Bayard), on the sweet side, which matched up much better than I expected. With drinks before dinner we had brie spread on halved radishes, and Saga Bleu on celery.

i6484.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I was listening to Sarah McLachlan while doing this, to tie in yet another thread.

I thought "SWEET, we have a Sarah McLachlan thread?" until I realized you're probably talking about the "What we listen to in the kitchen" thread.

But there are so many ways we could talk about Sarah; her cookbook, her song "Ice Cream"...well anyway. Just a thought. :biggrin:

She has a cookbook called "Plenty," but I haven't picked it up. Maybe I'll borrow it from the library and nose through it...I think she is a vegetarian, though, so she probably wouldn't approve of my short ribs. Le sigh.

My cooking is better than ice cream.

Grilled garlic lamb chops, onion confit, grilled asparagus, duck-fat fried potatoes. Inexpensive 2001 Sant'Agata "Baby Barb" Barbera d'Asti - good stuff, especially for the price ($12). I'm going to grab a case of this to have on hand regularly.

monday: catalonian monkfish stew with crushed almond, parsley, and saffron broth.

109-0989_IMG.JPG

saffron chickpeas

109-0993_IMG.JPG

tuesday: goi tom. vietnamese cellophane noodles with grilled shrimp, greens, napa cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, bean sprouts, scallions, cilantro, mint, peanuts, and fish sauce

109-0994_IMG.JPG

No pics today - the batteries died on the digicam.

Seared Ahi tuna steaks

Warm salsa for the fish comprised of habanero, minced ginger, red and yellow peppers, plum tomatoes and fresh lime juice

Oven roasted potato wedges

Collard greens - first time I've made them and they were really, really good.

Store bought peach cobbler with B&J's "light" vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Grilled chipotle and herb marinated pork tenderloin

Grilled corn on the cob with lime butter

Grated zucchini drained and pan fried with EVOO and lots of pepper

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I ate apple pie for dinner :wink:

With vanilla ice cream :smile:

When no one was looking, I licked the plate to get all the melted ice cream/apple ooze mixture :biggrin:

Let me guess.....followed by a cigarette?!? :wink:

Ok, the weather here is still not really "Spring" -- so to do the last of the "Winter" dishes:

Sauerkraut (housemade, from Rita's at the West Side Market) baked with homemade kielbasa (courtesy of my friend, Mike Sokolowski, Polish chef extrordinaire)

with my homemade spaetzle, sauteed in butter.

No wine accompanied dinner, but later we enjoyed a pleasant merlot.

Laurie

Tuesday Night:

Sauteed Scallops wrapped in Bacon

Spinach Sauteed in bacon/scallop fat with onion and bleu cheese.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Cheese and crackers (a young-ish Reblochon); paella with sausage, chicken, shrimp & mussels; simple green salad.

For desert, 3 mini cheesecakes, each one topped with lemon, lime or blood orange curds, and decorated with stripes of coconut-flecked white chocolate.

I ate some leftover (unsauced) spaghetti frizzled in olive oil till crispy-chewy, with lots of salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Topped with a fried egg, breadcrumbs, and a few drops of sizzling red wine vinegar swirled in the pan to catch all the oiled crumbs. Stirred together to cloak the strands in egg yolk.

Fresh corn tortillas

Grilled corn & black bean salsa (spicy)

Jaymes' salsa

Avocado

Leftover spicy shredded pork

Lime wedges

Yummy :wub:

Wednesday Night:

Doesn't really have a name, but:

Grind up some almonds and place in the bottom of a muffin tin.

In a large bowl mix 6 oz blue cheese, 2 egg yolks, 4tbs butter, 3/4 cup onion confit, 1/2 lb of bacon, crumbled and cooked, 6 oz of raw spinach wilted and lightly pan fried in the bacon grease. Stir it all up in the bowl, then pour equal amounts in the muffin tins over the ground almonds. Bake at 375 for 25/30 minutes.

Eat and enjoy.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Wednesday Night:

Doesn't really have a name, but:

Grind up some almonds and place in the bottom of a muffin tin.

In a large bowl mix 6 oz blue cheese, 2 egg yolks, 4tbs butter, 3/4 cup onion confit, 1/2 lb of bacon, crumbled and cooked, 6 oz of raw spinach wilted and lightly pan fried in the bacon grease. Stir it all up in the bowl, then pour equal amounts in the muffin tins over the ground almonds. Bake at 375 for 25/30 minutes.

Eat and enjoy.

It's a little bit like a Quiche Lorraine . . . but sounds way better.

Great idea.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I thought "SWEET, we have a Sarah McLachlan thread?" until I realized you're probably talking about the "What we listen to in the kitchen" thread.

But there are so many ways we could talk about Sarah; her cookbook, her song "Ice Cream"...well anyway. Just a thought. :biggrin:

Do you listen to janis Ian while you cook, too?

Who me? Never heard of her.

Dinner a couple nights ago was pasta and chicken in peanut sauce. Very good.

Actually I'm trying to lower my carb intake so my portion was chicken and tofu in the sauce. I'm trying to follow the South Beach diet but I keep goofing up (why on earth can't I eat carrots?)

I got a cast iron pan and I'm anxious to try it out but I'm just not in the mood for burgers or steak...

Tonight I think maybe fish. I dunno.

I'm trying to follow the South Beach diet but I keep goofing up (why on earth can't I eat carrots?)

I got a cast iron pan and I'm anxious to try it out but I'm just not in the mood for burgers or steak...

Tonight I think maybe fish. I dunno.

You can't eat carrots because they have lots of carbs, so do peas, corn and beets. There are still so many other vegetables left.

I do a modified south beach this time of the year (I still eat fruits), and usually have a some form of salad for dinner with a protein on top: grilled fish, chicken, tofu, chickpeas, etc.

Thursday Night:

Chorizo and Shrimp Gumbo (with a blend of all of the chiles I had laying around).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Quiche Lorraine-classic version-good bacon, nutmeg, homemade pastry dough (with lard :wink: )

Romine and tomato salad with balsamic vinagarette

Crusty French Bread rubbed with roasted garlic

Honeydew Sorbet (I made it tonight-Good Lord that stuff is good!)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...