• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

We made mandoo (for lack of a better word, Korean wontons) for a couple hours. They had copious amounts of an interesting vegetable in them, marked as "chives" but much fatter and longer, like chives on steroids but not quite scallions.

Eunny Jang: Would these be "boo choo" or "pu chu"???????

My boyfriend grows these "garlic chives" and the Korean ladies fight over them.

He swears by their restorative and "aphrodisiacal" properties. :biggrin:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I've been lurking on the sidelines for a while, living vicariously by reading yur menus. Now I'll start to post my own:

Sunday night:

- Celery root salad mixed with fave and herbs. Not remoulade as I didn;t bother to make my own mayonnaise (although mayo is incredibly easy to make).

- Fresh nettle pasta with real pesto (made by hand). We're getting great basil already and the pesto was great. I picked the nettles on Saturday. I got the big restuarant size pasta machine for my birthday (the Imperia 220) so now I am making fresh pasta 3x a week. I graduated up from one of the baby machines I have been using for 20 years. Now I can make 20 kilos of pasta an hour :smile: .

I've been working on my pesto recipe for teh last two years after a tour of Genoa showed me that I had much to learn. I rarely make it in the food processor anymore. In genoa they put a lot of pesto on the pasta (almost always trofie but I rarely make those).

Perhaps this is the wrong place but how do I insert a pciture if I can't point to a URL where the picture is posted?

Welcome, mhotchickenpaste, and what a lovely first post!

If you want to point to an image on the net, as you are posting, look up and click the "IMG" button, and enter the URL of the image you are pointing at.

For instance, to point at my little pint of ice cream, I hit "IMG", then entered: http://www.benjerry.com/assets/images/our_.../7684040023.gif

Warm chevre with chopped olives and pecans atop mesclun salad, champagne vinaigrette.

Crostini with seared chicken livers, shallots, and brandy.

i6161.jpg

Barley "risotto" with tomato and leeks.

Smoked chicken.

Garlic spinach.

edit:

Ooops. Forgot the very lemony tahini dipping sauce for the smoked chicken.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Eunny Jang: Would these be "boo choo" or "pu chu"???????

My boyfriend grows these "garlic chives" and the Korean ladies fight over them.

He swears by their restorative and "aphrodisiacal" properties. :biggrin:

That's exactly what they are! I was wracking my brain trying to remember the Korean word, since I'd never seen them before Sunday.

Can't attest to the aphrodisiacal properties, but they sure taste good.

A little late but here goes:

Saturday-

Steamed and roasted pork shoulder- pork shoulder pieces cured with salt and five spice mix for a few days then steamed till tender and roasted in a hot oven to crisp up the skin. This was very tender, flavorful and tasty.

A sort of Chinese style eggplant and pepper- eggplant slices and bell pepper squares cooked in a wok with garlic, ginger, scallions, with a sauce of soy, sesame oil, pickled ginger juice and a corn starch slurry. This was topped with homemade chili oil and sliced pickled ginger (I love this stuff)

i6165.jpg

Sunday-

A chicken rubbed with olive oil/garlic mixture and roasted.

Skordalia whipped potatoes (lots of garlic and EVOO)

Roasted just-picked-from-the-garden beets, peeled then sautéed briefly in butter and oregano.

i6166.jpg

Monday-

Small ravioli stuffed with a mixture of leftover roasted chicken, parmesan, and herbs. The Ravioli were served in a white wine rosemary butter broth

Raisin-chocolate chip bread pudding

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Warm chevre with chopped olives and pecans atop mesclun salad, champagne vinaigrette.

Crostini with seared chicken livers, shallots, and brandy.

i6161.jpg

Barley "risotto" with tomato and leeks.

Smoked chicken.

Garlic spinach.

edit:

Ooops. Forgot the very lemony tahini dipping sauce for the smoked chicken.

jinmyo, that is just gorgeous!

What is the garnish? Looks like salt but I'm thinking it must be some sort of grated cheese sprinkled about.

I've made a spinach & "burnt" garlic stir fry in the past, but I am curious how you made your garlic spinach. Is the garlic added after the spinach is cooked or before?

Last night:

Rare filet mignon (you could cut it with a fork!)

A baked potato slathered with butter and salt & fresh ground pepper.

Roasted cauliflower with sweet bell pepper & red onion, which turned out very well.

Lots of Iced tea (yesterday it was 97 degrees here! :blink: )

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What is the garnish? Looks like salt but I'm thinking it must be some sort of grated cheese sprinkled about.

I've made a spinach & "burnt" garlic stir fry in the past, but I am curious how you made your garlic spinach. Is the garlic added after the spinach is cooked or before?

Salt? Egad, not that much. It's pecorino.

The spinach sautes in about two minutes. Minced garlic is added as the spinach begins to wilt and is being turned. Burnt garlic is a bit too bitter.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

What is the garnish?  Looks like salt but I'm thinking it must be some sort of grated cheese sprinkled about.

I've made a spinach & "burnt" garlic stir fry in the past, but I am curious how you made your garlic spinach.  Is the garlic added after the spinach is cooked or before?

Salt? Egad, not that much. It's pecorino.

Well, I had to ask.

The spinach sautes in about two minutes. Minced garlic is added as the spinach begins to wilt and is being turned. Burnt garlic is a bit too bitter.

Yes, the "burnt" garlic spinach stir fry recipe I mentioned was from a cookbook that wasn't, obviously, very good. The cookbook has since been relegated to a well-deserved dark drawer somewhere. :hmmm:

Thank you for the info.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You're always welcome, Toliver.

laurel, I always love seeing your dinner party menus!

Last night, I yanked out a freezer-meal: baked ziti with tomato, mozzarella & sausage, and a big salad. Then, my husband decided that he needed some Coldstone love. We stood in a boisterous line for about 45 minutes, and he walked out with a waffle cone filled with chocolate & pb ice creams, heath bar, & hot fudge sauce. I tried a bite, but it didn't compare at all to the B&J I'd had last night.

Tonight was a recipe testing for David Leite's Culinaria:  Skewered swordfish (very fine), jumbo shrimp (fresh local), red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, Vidalia onion, homegrown bay leaves, lemon wedges, marinated Mediterranean-style and grilled. 

Susan,

So glad the test went well. Although Linda is in charge of it, I still worry about the whole thing. We agonize over what recipes to put into test.

Anyway, since I'm here, I thought I'd jump in: last night I made a cucumber and orange salad with piquant dressing chopped sun-dried tomatoes, cinnamon, cumin, and cayenne pepper. (very good) Dinner was a Cajun chicken stew (only so-so). Both were from this issue of Gourmet.

David Leite

Leite's Culinaria

wednesday: turkey burgers with fontina, tomato, and greens

Looks delicious... I've added it to my list of eG Dinner Ideas. Is that a toasted English muffin?

in the interest of not wanting people to think that i'd use an english muffin as a bun:

109-0984_IMG.JPG

:wink:

Does your jaw unhook like a pair of channel locks??!

Last night (Wednesday): a rare occurrence of using up leftovers the night immediately following:

Spaghetti with "Artichokes Four Ways" from Tuesday (roasted & jarred, sauteed frozen, pulp from leaves [from the freezer], and truffled crema di carciofi), plus confit duck hearts and gizzards, with a little sauteed shallot and roast garlic puree and reduced duck jus.

Red-and-green leaves salad with white balsamic/thyme vinaigrette

Paumanok Festival Chardonnay

London Broil with crumbled Bleu Cheese atop (alas no onion confit due to carbonization)

Fennel au Gratin

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

ooh tonight I made a ragout of fresh fava beans, teeny tiny fresh potatoes, tiny yellow beets & asparagus w. chicken stock, thyme, mint & some garlic

+ z'aatar crusted pork loin

I just wish I had some ramps & morels to add

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Went to a local pacific rim-type joint today, Tapatios, and had:

Rare Yellowfin Tuna (done perfectly), grilled asparagus, pot brown noodles, and a hoisin chipotle sauce

a petit Syrah, very good but I forget the maker or vintage

for dessert we went to the North Market Farmers Market for artisan chocolates:

The Relic truffle (had cocoa nibs in the bottom, wonderful)

and the Japanese Jumping Bean Truffle (wasabi covered peanut and bittersweet chocolate ganache I think)

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Smoked haddock poached in milk and served on bashed new potatoes with rocket and spring onion. Topped with a rather traditional poached egg.

i6239.jpg

I feel the need to mention that everything posted on this thread absolutely rocks, but for some reason, this one hit home. That looks incredible, sounds incredible, and (almost) tastes incredible. Thanks for sharing.

I did seared duck breasts with a pear and calvados reduction atop wilted dandelion greens. I was pleased with the doneness but not terribly happy with the overall result. Ah, well. To the stove again I go.

here in the northwest part of new jersey (usa) it was warm, sunny and beautiful. after johnnybird got up from his nap we broke out the grill - australian beef filet mignon, aidell's andouille, and shrimp on skewers marinated in a soy ginger vinaigrette. german style potato salad with green beans and a mixed green salad with raspberry basil vinaigrette finished the meal. served with a 2002 cote du rhone rose wine and, as i always do, enough leftovers for our lunches tomorrow :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites