• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Yesterday was pizza again as I'm still tweaking the crust. Oddly enough, the crust that was really good last week seemed even better after being frozen, thawed and allowed to warm up for the afternoon at cool room temp. The elasticity was incredible - supple and easily stretched - just the weight of the dough across the back of my hands enabled it to pull out into shape. I could have tossed the pie to get it even thinner but it would have gotten too big for the stone! The crust is now really where it needs to be - perhaps another 30 seconds of cooking time might be good but it was damn near perfect.

i6096.jpg

i6097.jpg

Tonight was one of those dinners where everything went wrong and it still tasted good. This was an epicurious.com recipe for baked red snapper with spicy soy glaze. I think it's a Gourmet magazine recipe - did a number of things incorrectly but my guest was thrilled anyway. Steamed sweet potato slice are supposed to be served under the fish but the fish is cooked skin on and I didn't find this to be a particularly edible skin. The side veggie is snow peas, carrots and napa cabbage with red onion, cilantro and rice vinegar thrown in at the end. I may try some version of this in the future but I'll improvise. I'd rather see a bed of lightly sauteed greens under the fish. Reminder to self: try to put the minced ginger into the glaze next time!

i6098.jpg

Pasta e fagioli

Pan-fried flank steak with salt, pepper, a dusting of parmigiano reggiano and a squeeze of lemon

Crusty French bread

Salad of romaine and arugula

Sinclair's banana cake

This was a cooking-ful weekend for me:

Friday night I made Steamed PEI Mussels in a Thai broth(garlic, lemongrass, chilis,Thai basil,Crushed tomatoes,Sake, Shiitake mushroom broth, Tamari,with Rice noodles for an appetizer, then a Chai Tea smoked Pork Tenderloin served with Israeli Toasted Cous-cous flavored with Currants, Tamari almonds and coconut. The vegetable was Snow peas with crushed peanuts and Tamari.

Then for brunch on sunday I made:

a wild mushroom, leek,and shallot tart

Banana French Toast with Dulce de Leche

an Italian Salami, Asparagus,Leek,basil Frittata.

Also served Fresh strawberries with a Balsamic reduction.

That's my idea of a successful weekend!!

Bon Apetit!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

This weekend I was house-/dog-sitting for some friends who have a beautiful home overlooking San Francisco's Precita Park. Since my own tiny apartment is too cramped and crappy to entertain in, I took advantage of the opportunity to have a little dinner party. (Yes, I got permission.)

I spent Saturday morning shopping at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market where I met the delightful Bond Girl, who is visiting from New York. While showing her around the market and making her extremely jealous (though she was very good-natured about it), I bought the ingredients for Saturday's dinner:

Appetizer of Fried Baby Artichokes topped with Sauteed Fava Beans and Green Garlic. (I think I got this idea from Alice Waters' Chez Panisse Vegetables, but I might be making that up. Anyway I read about it somewhere and it was very tasty.)

Main course was two Racks of Spring Lamb seasoned two ways: Savory/Green Garlic and Rosemary/Parsley, served with Green Garlic/Fava Risotto and Watercress tossed in Red Wine Vinaigrette. (This made for a very pretty plating with the dark green of the watercress and the bright light green of the risotto criss-crossed with the pink lamb ribs. I was proud. :cool: )

Cheese for afters.

My guests brought the wine. There was a crisp dry white to go with the artichokes, but I'm afraid I've forgotten what it was. With the lamb we had a quite nice 2001 Pinot Noir from L'Etage on the Sonoma coast.

Wow... the french cooking looks incredible ;).

Tonight I had:

Larb (it was OK.... I can't quite see all the hype, perhaps Ididn't prepare it well)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Nullo, check out this thread. :biggrin:

Taco night at the Shorters:

ground beef with onions, garlic, oregano, chili powder and red wine

refried pintos (not homemade) with green chiles

lime crema

diced avocado

diced tomatos

scallions

shredded queso

flour and corn tortillas, brushed with oil and warmed in a skillet

Watermelon for dessert.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Along with some roast chicken, roasted cauliflower and leftover dirty rice, we had...

i6142.jpg

i6143.jpg

JELLO!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Tonight was Sunday Dinner redux: cloverleaf rolls, baked ham, steamed asparagus, baked/mashed sweet potatos with pecans and orange zest, strawberry shortcake for desert, with a sweet biscuit dough.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Tonight was a recipe testing for David Leite's Culinaria: Skewered swordfish (very fine), jumbo shrimp (fresh local), red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, Vidalia onion, homegrown bay leaves, lemon wedges, marinated Mediterranean-style and grilled. Along side was Israeli Coucous with Peas and Mint. There are no photos, as there was some kind of glitch with my camera after having the setting on PC.

Last night a declicious crab and corn chowder, and sandwich of smoked chicken, homemade garlic mayo, lettuce, tomato, sweet onion, and avocado.

i6148.jpg

The night before was a seafood feast, including the crabs from which the leftovers came for the soup: Mussels steamed with beer, herbs, etc.; raw clams; grilled tuna and papaya, cucumber and mint; and steamed crabs.

i6149.jpg

i6150.jpg

i6151.jpg

i6152.jpg

The night before that was rotisserie-cooked goose on the grill, truffled fries, and grilled Vidalia Onion.

i6156.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

S'kat, I am getting close to needing my fix of pizza. I've been on vacation and have dined out a lot and have had more time to spend on cooking, so it's soon going to be time for a dose of good pizza. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan, that's great.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

susan - love the dancing turtle candle holder - where were you??

tonight i don't give a flying flip what i eat . my main concern right now is how to get john to eat. he has a tiny crisis at work so can't get home for our regular date night so i will eat a bit earlier. i was given some vension hotdogs and i have some leftover vidalia onion slaw and some baked beans along with some fresh greens - works for me :biggrin:

john tells me he will be home by 730 - 800 tonight and i had picked up some clams and shrimp so will do them with some prosciutto, red and yellow peppers, garlic, white wine and serve it with some whole wheat pasta.

dessert for john will probably be some truffles or chocolate coated cherries. i'll take a glass of sparkling wine :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Haven't eaten dinner yet, as I'm still waiting for Blovie to come to home, but we'll be eating an eG inspired meal:

Borscht, served warm with a dollop of creme fraiche, on the side will be marble rye slathered with butter. Maybe some greens on the side.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Panko and Parmigiano Reggiano crusted Gray Sole sauteed in Plugra butter with lemon....

Rice Pilaf....

Steamed broccoli....

Mini Patty Pan squash sauteed in evoo w/ garlic.

Even the kids liked the dinner tonight! Sweet!!!!

To eat good food is to be close to God." -Big Night

i6167.jpg

Roasted cornish hens with thyme, rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and butter rubbed under the skin.

organic carrots with dill

risotto with parmesan and parsley

mesclun salad from the garden

and thanks to Florida Jim Lindemans Bin 99 Pinot Noir

Sunday night: Oxtail and potatoes braised in soy and mirin. This was the reward for going to my parent's house and sitting down to plow through 6 50-packs of wonton skins with my mom and grandmother. We made mandoo (for lack of a better word, Korean wontons) for a couple hours. They had copious amounts of an interesting vegetable in them, marked as "chives" but much fatter and longer, like chives on steroids but not quite scallions. Boiled a bunch of these to eat with the oxtail.

Monday night: big slices of turkey from one my boyfriend cooked on a whim. Mashed potatoes, green beans. Later, nibbled on the neck while watching the Daily Show and his roomates looked on in horror. Stole pieces of skin while no one was looking.

Last night: big turkey sandwich with mayo, lettuce, tomato, onions, salt and pepper. Pieces of turkey skin stolen in secret.

Tonight: (hopefully) turkey soup like he makes it, peppery and savory.