• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Jinmyo... for 25?! You are so impressive.

Monday: Grilled bratwurst, homemade (and canned) sauerkraut, bibb lettuce salad with beautiful tomatoes and a nice vinaigrette. Callahan Hill 2000 Shiraz.

Feeling in need of dessert, we ran up to our local German restaurant (Renate's) and brought back chocolate-raspberry rum cake. :wub: Served with gorgeous strawberries for garnish and some kind of great coffee (friend made that and he didn't say what it was..... ).

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

... for 25, Jinmyo?? Boy, I can get frazzled cooking a multi-course for 8. Impressive indeed.

Not so impressive really as it's a professional kitchen. Most meals are for from 9 to 12 people. Sometimes as many as 30 or 40.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ribeyes grilled over charcoal, naked except for salt and pepper. Little french-cut green beans, also naked except for butter and salt. Perfect, crisp, fluffy-interiored, MAGNIFICENT fries, salted.

Eaten while watching Montreal give Boston an atomic wedgie and say, "nanny-nanny boo boo" in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

A fantastic pork and beans dish, this time from Wolfert’s “Slow Mediteranean Kitchen”. It’s called Orange-flavored pork and beans, a dish from Greece. Basically beans and pork shoulder chunks cooked in a mixture of olive oil, pork broth, sweet wine, tomato, orange juice and zest, and a lot of onions. I baked it in a Chinese clay pot and it got a wonderful crust on top while the beans remained firm and creamy, I only wish I had the Greek Gigante beans; instead of the white kidney that I used; that she mentions in the recipe...maybe next time.

i5682.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Fettuccine tossed with a sauce of goat cheese, parmigiano reggiano, mushrooms, and fresh basil with lots of freshly ground black pepper, served with a mixed salad.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Monday dinner

Mixed greens with vinaigrette

Spaghetti carbonara

Watermelon

Later on:

Assorted cheese (cabrales, 7 year old cheddar, Abbaye St. Mere)

Merlot of some sort my SO opened after a very long day.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Monday - Italian Sausage slow simmered in white white with onions, then dusted with ground habenero and cayenne and fried to give it a nice skin.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Saturday:

Wild mushroom and Ricotta Strudel on Baby Greens

Seared Five-Spice Duck Breast with Guy Lan and Brown Butter Yukon Gold Mash

Creme Brulee with Guyanese-Rum-Poached Pears and Fresh Berries

Monday:

Chicken and Pear Risotta

Tuesday:

Probably an emetic.

Life is good.

Monday:

Felafel, baked in mini muffin tins.

Meatballs with allspice, minced onion, milk, and fresh bread crumbs, baked.

Tomato, cucumber and sweet onions, diced, with EVOO, white vinegar, oregano S&P.

Whole milk Greek yogurt (mmmmmm)

Whole wheat pita.

My favorite part of dinner was watching Emma pretend that the felafel were cupcakes and frost them with plain yogurt.

Dessert was cupcakes eaten while sitting in the grass in the backyard. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Monday:

Tomato, cucumber and sweet onions, diced, with EVOO, white vinegar, oregano S&P.

Whole wheat pita.

My favorite part of dinner was watching Emma pretend that the felafel were cupcakes and frost them with plain yogurt.

Dessert was cupcakes eaten while sitting in the grass in the backyard. :smile:

Besides the roasted cauliflower, baking falafel in mini muffin tins is one of the best tips I ever pick up from egullet.

Melissa

Monday:

Whole wheat pita.

Dessert was cupcakes eaten while sitting in the grass in the backyard.  :smile:

Besides the roasted cauliflower, baking falafel in mini muffin tins is one of the best tips I ever pick up from egullet.

Same here, absolutely. Thank you Rachel!

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My recent fungus feast:

grilled portobellas with serrano and gruyere

prime rib roast rubbed with s&p and ground dried chanterelles and lobster mushrooms

baked potato cake "sandwich" filled with browned button mushrooms and morels with a bit of cream

wild mushroom and garlic confit on arugula

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Finally I made a meal that I feel worthy of posting here...

Monday dinner - Had fresh strawberries and asparagus, mmm, what to make?

Used Moby's recipe for asparagus ravioli but with improvisation. I used a puree of blanched asparagus, fresh lemon juice, egg yolk, mizithra and romano cheeses. Threw in a dab of pesto I had. Made the ravioli from 3 parts typo '00' flour and 1 part semolina (the Red Mill semolina is more cereal than flour so can't use very much). The filling was wet and I feared disaster as I had to patch some up! However, they held up. After simmering for a couple minutes, put in pan with butter, grate romano over with ground pepper and serve.

Dessert - Strawberry souffle - omygoodness, did they puff up high. Wish I had a digital camera. :sad:

Wine - French Sancerre leftover from a few days ago.

Sometimes I feel weird spending my whole evening cooking away...

Made Chicken with the Pollo Loco Marinade I read in the other topic. Was short Pineapple Juice but used the juice from a can of unsweetened pineapple and was still a few ounces short so I finely chopped a few rings added some onion and used a Pablano rather than an Ancho. Spectacular marinade. Chicken cooked up brown crispy and moist. I caramelized some thinly sliced Pablano and onions and then added some reserved marinade and let it cook off. I then draped the lot over the chicken. A last minute squirt of lime and I set the kids loose on it.

Fresh tomato slices

Green Beans

Broccoli

Saffron rice pilaf w/nutmeg, salt and pepper

Nothing left but bones.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Tuesday dinner for my 5 plus two more kids:

"mac and cheese" homemade with a mix of gruyere and romano cheeses with some green peas and butter sauteed bread crumbs on top

salad of chick peas, cucumbers and red peppers with lemon juice and EVOO

toasted baguette rubbed with garlic and drizzled with EVOO and eaten topped with slices of goose pastrami

ice cream for dessert

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We finally have beautiful weather here in New England so we've been doing outside work all day.

Tonight's easy dinner was quesadillas- flour tortillas smeared with a little cream cheese, shredded chedder and roasted red peppers.

Guacamole

Rice

Steamed broccoli

sliced red onions, tomatoes, and sour cream and salsa on the side.

I noticed the children running downstairs with Oreo's clenched in their fists so I guess dessert is taken care of.

Melissa

Tuesday: Burger medium rare with extra sharp cheddar, sauteed mushrooms and extra hot green chile (no roll). Mixed greens, vinaigrette. Club soda with lime. Lowcarb strawberry ice cream, with fresh strawberries on top.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

behold Tuesday night dinner:

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, dusted with turmeric, cracked black pepper, a pinch of kosher salt and some Ms. Dash, and a drizzle of EVOO

Thai vegetable fried rice

sriracha

apple juice

water

:blink:

Soba

Tonight was an "inspired by eGullet" meal:

* stuffed tortelli (inspired by Moby P's eGCI course)

* the tortelli were filled with steamed and chopped arugula mixed with homemade quark, a happy outcome of my yogurt-making at home. I topped the tortelli with sauteed orange bell pepper, red onion, and oyster mushrooms.

* fava beans (brought to my attention by The Myth of Fava Beans topic), cooked and then lightly sauteed with some chopped fresh garlic

i know you've all missed me. computer problems....

friday: grilled pizza with tomato, fresh mozzarella, and basil.

109-0942_IMG.JPG

109-0951_IMG.JPG

monday: hearts of palm with proscuitto di parma and shaved parmesan

109-0956_IMG.JPG

white beans with lemon, green onion, lemon, and thyme

109-0959_IMG.JPG

grilled squid with mint and parsley pesto

109-0963_IMG.JPG