• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

We had my wife's favorite tonight, which I'm sure I've posted before: seared sea scallops with cheese grits (I used Idiazabal tonight) and a ragout of corn, tomato, porcini, shallot and garlic. Served with a 2002 Domaine du Mage white. Will probably eat some of the kids' Easter candy for dessert!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This must be the night for scallops!!!

Field greens with cilantro dressing

Seared Sea Scallops with brown butter and caper sauce

Pan roasted potatoes with garden fresh herbs

Stop Family Violence

Saturday dinner

beef cheeks slowly brasied with onions and red wine then simmered with black beans tomatoes with Mexican oregano, ancho chile powder and a couple other spices

corn bread with whole corn added

roasted cauliflower

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Seafood bisque with deep-fried shrimp heads and legs, peeled grape tomatoes.

i5502.jpg

Wonton wrapped shrimp with taramasalata.

Crostini with rosemary.

Reprise of tomato and Fruilano salad by nagging request.

Mussels steamed with garlic, butter, and white wine.

Cheese course.

edit: Forgot about the tomato salad.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lots of traveling and lots of good dining out to report... But tonight, on the eve of a 15 hour drive north, we had an easy dinner which often means grilling steaks.

Mojitos

First course of king crab legs and cheap bubbly;

Grilled beef tenderloin steaks and vegetables;

Truffled fries;

Salad of sliced tomato, onion, guacamole, gorgonzola, and pine nuts;

Malbec;

Cream puffs and Port

i5504.jpg

Best regards, and see you all in a week or so...

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Jinmyo, I love your dinnerware. Elegantly simple. Just beautiful for showcasing your amazing meals.

Friday: Dinner out at a formerly fave place in Santa Fe that had several signs of perhaps having financial troubles... seems to be slipping on several fronts. :sad:

Saturday: Carne asada, mixed greens, Estancia Cab Sauv. Mixed berries with cream. Coffee.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Friday: Rueben Casserole (decidedly low-class compared to what most of you are eating ;) )

Today: Chicken Sicilian (Chicken sauteed with onions, olives, mushrooms, cherry peppers, and garlic) and Escarole sauteed in butter stewed with chicken stock. (yes, I was inspired by Rachel Ray)

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Thursday night dinner was flounder double coated in a cornmeal chili powder mixture with roasted cauliflower on the side. Baguette schmeared with butter as an accompaniment.

Friday night was roasted sea bass coated with charmoula, cherry tomatoes roasted with chopped garlic and thyme, and bulgur pilaf. Macon Perrone "Les Plesirs" 2000 to drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Dinner for my spouse and my esteemed mother-in-law Friday night:

i5574.jpg

Lettuce rolls with pork-ginger-scallion filling

i5575.jpg

A fuzzy image of Thai-inspired shrimp--brined with fish sauce and topped with plenty of lime zest

i5573.jpg

Five-spice duck breast over mixed greens with matchstick vegetables and plum vinaigrette

Berries and whipped cream for dessert. :wacko:

Malawry, shrimp brined in fish sauce?! Yeow. Brillant!

I have been chewing on the brining shrimp thing since you all were going on about it back at the Pig Pickin' ... could you elaborate on your shrimp preparation?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

After peeling and deveining the shrimpies, I put them in a small bowl. I added a couple of tablespoons of Thai fish sauce and then covered them with water. Let them sit in the fridge for about 3 hours. Pulled them out of the brine, patted them dry. Heated some peanut oil, added the shrimp, sauteed. Added a dash of tamari (I had a feeling they weren't quite salty enough), squeeze of lime juice, microplaned lime zest. Served with a little lime zest on top (I wanted the aroma of lime to hit the nose first) and a lime wedge on the side. Did not suck.

At the Pig Picking, Dave the Cook brined the shrimp for the Friday "staff meal" of shrimp and grits. He was nosing around looking for something interesting and found the apple cider I was using to cook down some fried apples. He shrugged, glugged some into a container, added the shrimp and I think some salt and water, and let them rest for a couple of hours. Later I sauteed them with garlic, parsley, white wine and some other stuff I don't remember. They, too, didn't suck.

Thank you, Malawry. I am SO brining shrimp right quick here.

On the salt front, on the salt-butter front, perusing the selection at Whole Foods for the first time in months, it seems, there was an English butter, of the famous Double Devon Cream, only butter. Roll shaped. "Lightly salted," according to the nice foil label. Superultradelicious! Cracking open our second roll tonight with an LBB baguette. Oh steak and frites and haricot verts, too, alongside.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Various salumi and olives.

Salad of escarole and roasted mushrooms.

3552.jpg

Agnolotti stuffed with basil, a thick slice of polpotonne (meatloaf) with lamb and pork and chorizo with cumin and chiles in a tomato bisque and parmesan shavings.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

lunch BBQ leftovers

grilled samna (saury pike

Korean style BBQ'd beef with lettuce leaves

tomato salad

shibazuke pickles

Japanese rice and brown rice mixed with 5 grain mix

Ham and cheese sandwiches on Wonder bread to eat with our toes in the water at Assateague. Soggy on one side from the ice in the cooler. Sat on the tailgate of the truck and put potato chips in the sandwich to compensate for sogginess. Watched the sun set over the island. Brushed sand out of our sandwiches.

Apples

Green grapes

Beer.

:laugh:

Sunday dinner in front of hockey game

Grilled dry spice rub ribs

Grilled yams marinated with oil, soy, mirin & chives

Gilled corn with chipotle lime butter

Cole slaw

Watermelon

With everything on the grill, clean up was a breeze between periods.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

What was the spice rub for the ribs, Jake?

What was the spice rub for the ribs, Jake?

My secret recipe!

Would be happy to share, but I don't measure the amounts of any of the spices. I just do it by taste now. PM me if you'd like it and I'll put a list together of what I do, and some sort of ratio of amounts.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

i hit up the farmer's market yesterday, so dinner last night was purely farmer's market inspired:

spaghetti with pesto (i couldn't resist the basil, and arguing with my blender to make pesto is a small price to pay for fresh pesto)

ciabatta

brie

long stemmed strawberries (i can never resist chocolate covered strawberries)

saturday dinner -

fresh linguine with arugula, prawn, chili flakes, wine, grape tomatoes, lemon zest and garlic

arugula and strawberry salad with chevre...dressed with nice 8 year balsamic.

(we're growing arugula in our garden...i'm a relatively new homeowner, and am just loving having a vegetable garden.)

friday dinner - fresh pea soup (in anticipation of our pea harvest) with mint, cream and leek - topped with dungeness crab

have to add - though a bit off topic - i made tapas a week or so ago, and one thing i served was radishes with grey salt - thanks to jinmyo - so simple, but truly outstanding - brought out all elements of the radish in distinct layers.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Monday dinner for my 5 plus two more kids:

maguro (tuna) kama-yaki (collar) grilled with just salt and pepper and served with lemon wedges

ground chicken meatballs and green beans simmered in a dashi-soy-mirin sauce

tofu and kaisou (seaweed) salad with a shiso dressing

gobo (burdock root), cucumber, carrot salad with a spicy mayo dressing

shibazuke pickles

Japanese rice

dessert:

mitarashi dango (balls of pounded rice with a sweetened soy sauce topping)

Sounds lovely Kristin.

Sautéed sliced button and shimeiji mushrooms with paprika served with scrambled eggs.

i5675.jpg

Scalloped potatoes with three layers of buttermilk, butter, and parmesan with a panko crust.

Grilled pork loin chops with ancho, cumin etc. (Again so soon by popular request.)

Oil-less salad of shaved fennel, green cabbage, cubanelle peppers, white onion and olives with lime.

For 25.

Jinmyo:

I am drooling like my old dog used to. The pictures are humbling. Time for me to hit the market and get back to cooking some real food.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren