• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

"Poularde de Bresse"

Truffled mashed potatoes

Peas

First time I tried a full-fledged main dish recipe from The Hemingway Cookbook. It's really quite a good book, as the author does not try to modernize the recipes. They are as fattening and exotic as they should be. I was really impressed with this one and I've never seen a preparation quite like it so I thought I'd share it with you.

The chicken is dredged in flour and simply browned in butter, then covered without liquid to cook through. Morels (if dried; that's what I used and they were wonderful) are soaked in hot water & brandy (Calvados). Then a mixture of lemon juice, water (I used the soaking water) and salt is brought to a boil and the morels are added and simmered until most of the liquid is gone. When the chicken is almost done, it is removed, shallot & garlic added to the drippings, then the morel mixture, a little chicken broth, and a little tomato puree. The chicken is returned to the pan and simmered with the sauce until done.

What I found so intriguing was the flavor you get by simmering the morels with lemon juice (and how it balanced the rich chicken/garlicky tomato flavors). It may be a classic preparation, but it is new to me and I'm in love with it! I don't know of a better way to get the most out of dried morels.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Weds dinner:

Spanish mackeral marinated with miso and grilled

yuzu flavored konnyaku topped with a "sauce" of white miso-egg yolk-mirin and scallions

ko-ebi tsukudani (tiny shrimp simmered in a soy based sauce)

mibuna (type of green) pickles

miso soup with tofu and satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato)

Japanese rice

ice cream for dessert

i5384.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Teusday night:

A Lebanese stew made with chicken, potatoes and onions in tomato sauce. Served with vermicelli rice...comfort food from my childhood.

Wednesday night:

The leftover chicken from yesterday turned into Enchiladas in mexican red sauce (tomatoes, onions, chilies, broth and crema), from Rick Bayless' book. Topped the whole thing with some onions and cilantro. Serevd it with a side of fiery Salsa De Chile De Arbol from the Mexican Salsas class.

i5387.jpg

Dessert: Homemade Coconut ice cream

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

a close up on the shrimp

i5386.jpg

my 3 year old son devored almost all of these!!

Kristin, these look great, especially the color. How do you eat those? Pop the whole thing in??

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Steakhouse pizza with leftovers from Ruth's Chris. Basic pizza dough rolled 1/8" thin, topped with creamed spinach, shoestring potatoes, sliced medium rare ribeye, and mozzarella. it received everal good cranks from my peppermill and a couple of solid glugs of olive oil before it was fired up on a stone in my Weber grill. Putting leftovers to good use is the greatest, even when they might give me a heart attack.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Steakhouse pizza with leftovers from Ruth's Chris. Basic pizza dough rolled 1/8" thin, topped with creamed spinach, shoestring potatoes, sliced medium rare ribeye, and mozzarella.

Did you have any trouble with the slices of steak toughening in the heat of the Weber? I frequently make pizzas the same way but it hasn't ever crossed my mind to use leftover steak this way. Typically, I just overstuff myself because rarely am I pleased with the results of reheated steak. I can see where this might just work, though.

Weds dinner:

Spanish mackeral marinated with miso and grilled

yuzu flavored konnyaku topped with a "sauce" of white miso-egg yolk-mirin and scallions

ko-ebi tsukudani (tiny shrimp simmered in a soy based sauce)

mibuna (type of green) pickles

miso soup with tofu and satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato)

Japanese rice

ice cream for dessert

torakris, you always have the yummiest sounding dishes. Seeing them is almost too much! :biggrin:

Last night, I was blessed with fresh scallops in a white wine-thyme sauce:

medium.jpg

Did you have any trouble with the slices of steak toughening in the heat of the Weber? I frequently make pizzas the same way but it hasn't ever crossed my mind to use leftover steak this way. Typically, I just overstuff myself because rarely am I pleased with the results of reheated steak. I can see where this might just work, though.

No problems at all. The steak was barely medium rare to begin with and the cut was nicely marbled, being a ribeye and all. The temperature of the grill was in the 600 range so the pizza was only in there for 5 or so minutes. The meat cooked up a bit, to around medium, but because the cut was so fatty it rendered a bit onto the potatoes and into the creamed spinach. The cheese above it protected the medallians which were sliced around 1/4" thick. It was brilliant, though I can't take credit for the idea. Daniel Boulud's "Cooking in New York" talks about steakhouse pizza with leftovers from Peter Luger's.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

It was brilliant, though I can't take credit for the idea. Daniel Boulud's "Cooking in New York" talks about steakhouse pizza with leftovers from Peter Luger's.

It sounds brilliant. My estimate of temperature in my Weber is similar, probably around 600, so I imagine I'll have similar results. A very good idea and great use for leftover steak. Finally I can stop cramming that 32 oz Porterhouse down my throat in 15 minutes. :shock:

foodman

the shrimp are eaten whole like that just popped into your mouth with however many you can manage to get on your chopsticks! :biggrin:

Margaret

I commented on the konnyaku (with a close-up picture) in the konnyaku thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=17712

I have no idea of its availability out of Japan, I had never seen it before here....

Thursday night:

arugula salad dressed with EVOO and basalmic vinegar topped with thinly sliced smoked duck breast

roasted zucchini, eryngi muchrooms, baby potatoes and onions toppd with gryuere cheese and panko and then baked just long enough to melt the cheese and brown the panko

oatmeal and walnut soda bread (eating the leftovers for breakfast as type :biggrin: )

Roasted baby cremini mushrooms with zataar.

3443.jpg

Barley "risotto" with leeks and sun-dried tomatoes, sorrel;

Roasted asparagus with balsamico;

Salad of plum tomato spears with cubes of Fruilano cheese and fresh basil;

Grilled pork loin chop with ancho, garlic, and cumin.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh my. First time I've been on this thread since Jinmyo got a camera. Oh my oh my.

As mentioned on at least one other thread today, I am alone and so made myself some spaghetti with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Modified with a little clarified butter as well, plus a dash of oregano and a dozen grindings of black pepper; Parmigiano-Reggiano too. Paumanok Chenin Blanc.

Wow, Jinmyo. Your dinners always make me hungry, even if I've just eaten! The photos are great.

Oh, thanks. They taste better than they look.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Wow, Jinmyo. Your dinners always make me hungry, even if I've just eaten! The photos are great.

Oh, thanks. They taste better than they look.

Then they must taste exceptional as they look great. :wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Salad of mesclun and parmesan shavings.

Grilled shrimp in a seafood bisque.

i5346.jpg

Slices of roast leg of lamb with chile threads.

i5396.jpg

Spinach with polenta topped with smoked caccacavallo and a tomato chile sauce.

Not as much dinner, but my first real meal since coming down with a flu-like illness 3 days ago:

i5427.jpg

Matzo Ball Soup with Egg Noodles

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My family plus 2 extra kids for dinner on Friday:

menchi-katsu (deep fried panko'd hamburger patties) served with tonkatsu sauce

raw tuna slices with scallions soy-mirin and wasabi (the kids were all begging for more...)

tomato and broccoli salad with orange-red wine vinegar-EVOO dressing

mibuna pickles

shibazuke (another type of pickle)

Japanese rice

I'm glad that you're feeling better, Jason.

I'm glad that you're feeling better, Jason.

Tonight we are doing shrimp and tofu stir fry with noodles and veggies... So yes, feeling much better.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

As promised:

i5428.jpg

A lot of stuff went into this, so Rachel will elaborate.