• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Roast Bone Marrow with parsley salad and toast.

I think that salad is one of his primary dishes at the restaurant. A crowd pleaser I'm sure. I'm going to make his brined roasted pork belly soon enough.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Bloody Maria

Chicken breasts (yes, I know, I know; they were on sale, ok?) with the last of the pears, onions, maple syrup, grainy mustard (thanks Lynne R-K!)

Mixed greens with a (different) mustard vinagrette

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I ate the last bowl of my first try of Huevos del Toro's "Work in Progress Chili". An excellent recipe with a lot of room for improvisation, as his recipe title would suggest. I used about a half pound more chuck than his recipe called for. He does not specify how much Mexican chocolate to use, so I started with most of a disk (Abuelita's) -- which was good, but slightly too much for my taste. I suggest starting with about 1/4 to 1/3 of a disk and tasting and adding and tasting until you get the flavor you want. (I think I would have ended up with about 2/3 to 3/4 of a disk if I had done it that way. I did add a drizzzle of balsamic and some cilantro at the end, as he suggests.

Accompanied by Fifi's Grandmother's Cornbread (tweaked by Fifi) using stoneground corn meal and slathered at table with good sweet butter, which may be the best cornbread I have ever made or eaten...and I have a long history of making cornbread in cast iron skillets and eating cornbread made by some great Texas cooks, including Rosie of Schultz Beergarten fame in Austin. (I've always considered Rosie's to be the best on earth, and Fifi's is just a little different.)

Followed by a little Blue Belle lime sherbert.

Fifi -- Your grandmother's cornbread recipe deserves to be immortalized in Recipe Gullet. :smile:

Gumbo, featuring tasso ham and file purchased on recent jaunt to NOLA

Salad with blue cheese dressing

Mint-chocolate-chip low-carb ice cream for dessert.

Saturday: Haven't been food shopping this week so homemade pizza with whatever I had on hand, which turned out to be: sauteed mushrooms and green peppers, with some onion confit from the freezer; homemade sauce with thai dragon chiles added; mozzarella and extra sharp cheddar.

Parducci Pinot Noir.

i5291.jpg

Before baking.

i5292.jpg

Before eating.

(For those of you paying attention... no, there is nothing low carb about this dinner but we've had more than a week of gloomy, cold weather with pouring rain. Sometimes comfort food is just necessary!)

Edited to add: I just looked out the window and SNOW is piling up like crazy! I am soooooooo ready for spring!

Edited by Cynthia G (log)
"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Nice, Cynthia.

Salad of chopped Napa cabbage with red onions and crumbled Greek feta (about 1:1:), fennel oil.

Mint and pea soup in a demitasse.

i5294.jpg

Minced lamb and onion individual pies with a roasted red pepper and chile sauce around.

Slices of roasted lamb sausages and pork and garlic sausages on watercress with mustard.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Easter Dinner

Assorted Springrolls with red leaf lettuce and fish sauce

-Shrimp cha gio

-Shepard's Purse

tomato basket garnish with flowering greens

Roast Leg of Lamb covered with mustard garlic rosemary and evoo paste, with garlic and rosemary studded in the roast. Served surrounded by roasted potatoes and garnished with lemons and fresh thyme.

Curried Biryani with red peppers, onions, peas and raisins

Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Shallots and Beetroot in a coconut and ginger paste

Mashed Cauliflower with garlic

Tofu and scallion with Thai red chili sauce(for the vegetarian who doesn't want

lamb)

"Easter Pie" - Ricotta Pie

Strawberries

Easter brunch:

Shrimp with a very horseradish-y cocktail sauce

A turkey brined and grilled (my mom's got a convection grill, whoo-weeee!)

Stuffing with big apple and mushroom pieces in it

Kielbasa

Eggs benedict with bernaise

Fresh berries

Mimosas

Bloody's

Easter dinner (at boyfriend's family's house, didn't cook):

Smoked turkey

Fresh ham

Tossed salad with tomatoes, peppers, etc.

Mashed redskins

Brussels sprouts

White-chocolate cheesecake

Various wines

Eating two large meals twice in the same day reminded me of the consolation prize I got as a child when my parents got divorced: TWO CHRISTMASES! :laugh:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I made myself Judy Rogers' fried eggs with breadcrumbs. Used a little watercress tossed in vinaigrette to mop up the spilled yolk and stray crumbs. Big mug of Lady Grey poured over Evian(!) ice and cigarettes.

Traditional Ukrainian Orthodox Easter Lunch for us was the following, including some non traditional add ins:

Plain Paska with golden rasins (slightly sweet egg bread)

Whole Wheat Paska (we've been expermimenting and this one actually came out quite nicely)

Rye Bread

Various homemade sausages, kielbassa (heavy on the garlic)

Whole baked ham

Liverwurst

Bresaola/Capicollo

Wild smoked salmon and lox

Smoked Bacon

Devilled Eggs

Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad

Baby Potato Salad with Lemon and Dill

Regular Potato Salad with homemade mayo

Mixed Greens dressed with lemon and evoo

Half Sour Pickles

Plain homemade Horseradish

Red horseradish (with chunks of beet of course)

Flourless Walnut Torte

Orange Ricotta Cheesecake

Almond Biscottis

Almond Shortbread crecsents

Babka (an even sweeter egg bread, similar to baba au rum minus the rum)

Platter of fresh fruit

Lots of chocolate eggs for my sister and just bars of 85% for me....they don't make eggs that dark :sad:

Same old same old traditional Easter dinner:

Smoked Smithfield ham, baked for 3 hours, glazed with jalapeno jelly

Cook's Illustrated roasted potatoes (baby Yukon Golds) with garlic, herbes de Provence, parsley

Roasted aparagus with hollandaise from a mix :shock: , doctored up with lemon juice & cayenne

Yummy smoked salmon on mini rye with cream cheese and capers to start

Chardonnay

Dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate Easter eggs my brother sent me from Holland

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Friday dinner: broiled salmon, brown rice, steamed broccoli. apple juice.

Saturday: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, pasta w/caramelized onions, a little EVOO and cracked black pepper. green salad. soy milk.

Sunday: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, basmati rice. dal baati. tomato salsa. soy milk.

Soba

Horrendous cold grey rain in DC, not April showers/May flowers but sidewise-slicing wet. Super-simple recreation of what mom made on a Monday night when everyone felt terrible and it was ugly outside: tiny 3.5lb chicken roasted in nothing but its own rosemary-stuffed skin with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mashed Idahos, lumpy and saturated with milk and butter. String beans in butter and lemon. Fantastic dripping-wine-stock pan gravy that would make your grandmother weep.

Plain-jane food, but oh, how good it was!

Dinner Sunday was perhaps my most peculiar Easter dinner ever. My mom was under the weather and not up for dinner, my daughter couldn't make it home from college due to work conflicts and I just munched on odds and ends. had some hummous and also some alouette spread on Carr's Parmesan and Black Pepper crackers, followed with the final leftovers of Jamaican rice 'n peas from one of last weeks' dinners and then fried up a big plantain for tostones.

Monday was back to normal food.

Mixed field greens and baby spinach salad with chopped blood orange and macadamia nuts. Made a balsamic and dijon vinagrette but threw in a dash of pomegrante juice - very tasty addition to the dressing.

Pizza from scratch with asiago, fontina, whole milk mozzarella and marinara sauce. used some dried Herbes de Provence instead of Italian style herb mix and topped it with cramalized onions and Gianelli hot Italian style turkey sausage (IMHO the only worthwhile turkey sausage on the market - certainly the only good one I've ever tried.

The pizza tasted really good but the dough was too light. I experimented with adding gluten to the dough mixture and should have added less. Despite having used only 1/3 the amount of yeast called for, the dough was still light and puffy. My guest actually really liked it that way but I wanted more tooth and chewiness.

Root vegetable bisque (rutabaga, celery root, celery, daikon, potato, onion) with buttermilk, grated parmesan, sorrel.

In-house pain de leain with Normandy butter.

Roasted tomatoes and mushrooms.

Panko chile chicken.

3293.jpg

Sautéed kale.

Sauerkraut with lime zest and juice and fennel seeds.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Monday:

karei (type of sole) with the egg sacs intact, simmered in a soy-sake sauce with lots of mitsuba (trefoil)

sauteed potatoes

miso soup with niboshi (tinydried fish) and turnips including some green

Japanese rice

Tuesday:

a "curry" of chicken thighs, tomatoes and turnips

yogurt relish with sauteen turnip greens and onions

green salad

basmati rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I know how boring it is for some to eat the same thing two days in a row but I still had some pizza dough left from the batch I made Sunday afternoon. I had suspsicions that yesterday's less than perfect result was partly due to the extra gluten I added to the dough but believed the temperature of the dough to be more of a factor. Left the remaining dough out on the counter today in a sealed bowl (my house is cool - about 60 degrees or lower during the day).

I let the pizza stone warm up for a good hour and really stretched the dough really thin this time. Amazing! It is unquestionably the best pie I've ever eaten in Syracuse and I know it can get better. I'm now a firm believer in using about one half fine durum flour in pizza dough - it adds character. It was light yet crusty and had a slightly toothy feel to it. the room temp sceanrio makes dough handling so much easier. The salad was a repeat of yesterday as well - mixed field greens and baby spinach with balsamic vinaigrette but I threw in toasted pine nuts and feta crumbles in lieu of the macadamias. Also used up the remaining half of a blood orange that I had. I'm starting to like them for more than just the color.

i5362.jpg