• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I picked up 10 lbs of baby artichokes today from my favorite produce guy. Hmm, what to do?

Sauted artichoke hearts, with potatoes, onion, garlic, capers and lemon...stuffed that into HUGE portabello mushroom and topped with parmesan cheese then grilled, along with grilled asparagus and simple grilled pork chops.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Tuesday: Dinner with Susan G and friend Jess. All prepared by Susan G. Luscious cream of asparagus soup. Some of the best we've ever had (and Jess is a former very high-end exec chef... he was blown away by it). Mixed greens with a nice vinaigrette. Steamed beets and beet greens. Fabulous beef roast done to perfection with a chipotle glaze. Penfolds' Rawson's Retreat 2003 Shiraz Cab Sauv. Mixed berries over Dulce de Leche ice cream. Yum! Wonderful to come home to a lovely dinner already prepared and great company.

Wednesday: Didn't get home from work until after 7. Nobody here but me and my lovely pup. :sad: Pork chop with a fresh cranberry sauce. Sugar free Tang.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Approaching-wallet-crisis dinner just for me:

Cooked shaved onions dry in a covered skillet until they stopped giving up liquid. Added liberal amounts of olive oil, uncovered, cooked to soft and pasty. Tossed with linguini with fine lengthwise ridges, perfect for grabbing every drop of flavored oil. Lots of parmesan, salt and pepper to balance the candy-sweetness of the onions.

Watercress tossed with a caeser-ish dressing with lots of anchovy, more parmesan and lemon.

Cigarettes.

We invited another couple for dinner last night -- unusual for us on a weeknight.

Finger food for starters: Flour tortillas, spread lightly first with Neufchatel and then with mild salsa from a jar, each rolled tightly around a blanced asparagus spear, chilled and then cut on the bias into pieces; and melon & prosciutto.

Mixed grill: Lamb chops, quail, Italian sausage;

White truffle risotto (Roberto Donna's recipe);

Beautiful hericot verts.

Salad of romaine, tomato, and onion, dressed with EVOO and golden balsamic vinegar, topped with gorgonzola and pine nuts.

Strawberries and green seedless grapes tossed with sugar, vanilla, and fresh mint.

Before dinner, Sauvignon Blanc, and another not-so-dry white blend for our friends; and with dinner Cabernet Sauvignon, and another not-so-dry red blend for our friends.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hey Pacarpen!  How'd you light those shots?  Great looking dinner!  :biggrin:

same as the rest of them. we plate it up at the kitchen table, sit down to eat, and take a picture with the flash on. no special lighting used at all. i guess we just get lucky with good shots.

I had my carnivorous buddy over for dinner last night - a vegetable would be pointless as he turns up his nose even at roasted cauliflower (not to mention that his idea of a salad is iceberg lettuce with Thousand islands dressing - that combo will never darken my door so we made do with meat and potatoes.

De-boned chicken thighs (saving the bones for stock), dusted with a bit of sea salt, adobo and then doused very liberally in paprika. Cooked in a covered sauté pan at low heat for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Turned once, poured off most of the liquid, deglazed with white wine and then added a dash of turbindao sugar and Maille red cider vinegar before cooking down to make a sauce.

Idea came from the Paprika, confessions of an addict thread (damn - sounds like my story minus the paprika :shock: )

It was decent but I need a better grade of paprika.

Oven roasted some wedges of red potato that were tossed with a bit of olive oil that had been blended with seasoned salt, coarse black pepper, and chopped fresh rosemary and thyme leaves. I've only done these a few times but have discovered that sticking them under the broiler for a few minutes toward the end of the cooking time is the key to getting a nicely browned and almost crunchy surface.

It must have been good enough - we both had seconds.

Ben & Jerry's New York Super fudge Chunk for dessert.

Thursday dinner:

scraping the bottom of the refrigerator here :biggrin:

salad of chicken breast, cucumber, and carrot with a wonderful (heavy on the yuzu) ponzu sauce

Korean style scallion pancake with a kochujang based dipping sauce

leftover simmered kabocha

Japanese rice mixed with a 5 grain mix

ice cream for dessert

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm excited to cook tonight because i haven't had more than ten seconds in my kitchen in the last months... april is the worst month to be a Reedie. Anyway, I'm going go make beet risotto. I love making risotto. ever sice my oven broke I haven't been able to take my aggression out on dough. Risotto is the next best thing. I don't have a digital camera, so no pics, sorry.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Thursday: Taco salad. Beef seasoned with my killer homemade taco seasoning featuring Apple Smoked Red Savina powder made by my friend Jim Campbell. Extra sharp cheddar grated over the top. Healthy dollop of extra hot salsa over it all.

Vanilla pudding.

Parducci Pinot Noir.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Saturday night, had a couple of friends over for some red-checker-tablecloth Italian food. (My tablecloth was way too classy for this kinda stuff, but we made do.)

i5188.jpg

Antipasto, including meats from Giacomo's in Greensboro, NC

i5189.jpg

A saltylicious sausage soup. Sausage also from Giacomo's.

i5190.jpg

Salad, woo.

i5191.jpg

Pork and turkey meatballs in a slow-simmered tomato sauce, roasted asparagus, sauteed cremini mushrooms, balasmic glaze.

i5192.jpg

Berries and whipped cream.

This meal was almost completely devoid of any carbs. My guests do not consume dairy; they avoided the provolone on the antipasto and sampled the not-horrific Hip Whip with their berries and declared it satisfying. My spouse and I avoided the balsamic glaze. All were happy.

My wife, who likes neither spicy food or shellfish ( I still love her though,) was out tonight so I took the oppurtunity to have LOTS of red curry mussels, about 4 lbs worth.

Poor girl doesn't know what she's missing :raz:

Thursday

Garlic Breadsticks

Chicken Parmigian over spaghetti with artichoke provencal sauce

Brussels sprouts with lemon and butter

Lupini Beans

Raspberry Apple Strudel with vanilla ice cream and homemade almond scented whipped cream

Jaymes' King Ranch Chicken served with guacamole, sour cream and sliced green onion

Grilled zucchini

The last of the banana pudding

Stop Family Violence

My first dish from Fergus Henderson's "The Whole Beast":

Roast Bone Marrow with parsley salad and toast.

i5207.jpg

Elie

Ohh, man....this is absolutely beautiful. This makes me weep with pleasure, especially in light of the Chipotle burrito I ate last night.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Radishes with cold sweet Normandy butter, fleur de sel and cracked pepper.

Smashed potatoes with paprika, sauteed spinach, blue cheese crumbled atop.

i5214.jpg

Striploin roast (seen above at rest) with pasilla chile rub, sliced thinly, swiped with Dijon, rolled up for fingers.

Cheese course (Stilton, 10 year old cheddar, chevre du merde supermarche with cracked pepper and fennel oil, gruyere).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM