• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Jinmyo, I want to come stand in your kitchen and observe for about a month!!! Okay, okay, I work too. Your meals always sound, and now look, so wonderful!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

tuesday: moroccan spiced chicken with israeli couscous salad

I think pcarpen wins the prize for gorgeous chicken skin. Beautiful photos. What blend of spices went on the chicken? Was it roasted in pieces?

No cooking for me lately, unless you count unwrapping pieces of gum and lighting cigarettes as cooking.

actually, there's not even chicken skin there. i pulled it off before marinating. that's just the spice rub giving it that color. it's cumin seed, coriander seed, fennel seed, cayenne, cloves, cinammon, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. also marinated in some minced garlic cloves, olive oil, and some lemon juice. grilled as pieces.

Kind of. Looks a bit pale.

But the table is so highly polished! :biggrin:

Glass atop the wood, dear heart.

Well, now you've ruined it for me. :wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Susan, BANG. That's great.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We just finished grilled asparagus and shitake mushrooms with proscuitto tossed in penne with a bit of grated parmesean and olive oil....spring at it's best!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Weednesday night:

Baby spinach leaves with red grapefruit chunks and toasted macadamia nut chunks - tossed with a key lime juice, EVOO, rice vinegar, maple syrup and thyme dressing

Tostones (platanos - aka fried plantains)

Broiled boneless jerk chicken with Jamaican style rice 'n peas and shredded cooked cabbage w/carrots on the side. Threw a bit of Maille red cider vinegar into the cabbage when it was sauteeing - nice addition.

Edy's mango sorbet for dessert

I drank Ame white beverage but my dining partner had a bottle of Honey Brown beer.

It's the first time I've made this meal in a few years and I was not heavy handed enough on the seasonings. I also could not locate my bottle of Busha Brown's jerk sauce and use some other brand that Wegman's had - it was not as good - much less peppery.

Wednesday

Chicken Casserole- whole chicken legs cut in half in casserole with white wine, Port, cream of chicken soup, some water, shallots, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, a bunch of turmeric, some saffron and S&P. Lovely comfort food.

Honey Butter Biscuits

Sweet Potato Salad with Chili Lime Dressing

Melange of Broccoli Florets and Brussel Sprouts in butter, evoo, garlic and lemon

Chicken wings, soaked in milk, thyme, and mustard, lightly floured, twice fried, and served with lemon juice and red and black pepper

Colcannon/Monjayaki Fusion...Colcannon made much sloppier than usual, using daikon greens and spring cabbage, and crisped on a table-top hotplate.

Miso soup with shiitake and strips of fried tofu.

Rice for those who couldn't be talked out of it.

Jacques Pepin's Maman's Cheese Souffle - so easy, SO GOOD

Jimmy Dean's sausage with sage - YUM

Mini croissants

Green salad with grape tomatoes & red onions and a dressing my sister gets when she goes to Florida called Cafe Geneva Sauce for Salad. It's so good you could drink it. But it's almost gone, so I must conserve. :angry:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Jacques Pepin's Maman's Cheese Souffle - so easy, SO GOOD

The benedictions of St. Jacques of Pepin cannot be numbered.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Monday:

Homemade Pizza:

Margarita

Homemade Duck Procsuitto (sp?), preserved eggplant, chopped onions (the best)

Mushrooms and sausage

Teusday:

A kind of Thai chicken dish. Chicken breast, cooked with fish sauce, lime juice, tamarind, garlic, basil, mint, cilantro, scallions, peanuts, thin sliced carrots and celery. It came out pretty good.

Wednesday:

Linguini tossed with olive oil packed tuna, fresh oregano, mint, salad burnett (an herb that tastes similar to cucumbers!), chopped preserved lemon quarter and sliced celery.

Dessert: Crunchy Peanut Butter cookies.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wednesday:

Braised beef with pearl onions, bacon and mushrooms served over egg noodles

Mixed greens and dates with a walnut oil and verjus dressing

Tonight:

likely to be a lamb tart from Tuesday or leftovers of the braised beef

Small pieces of pumpernickel with Pacific smoked salmon topped with ricotta, capers.

Salad of escarole and arugula with lardons, champagne vinaigrette, soft-boiled quail eggs.

i4870.jpg

Slices of polpettone (meatloaf) of pork and lamb with chiles, sage, fennel seed with Dijon mustard served with mushroom and sauerkraut perogies with garlicky spinach.

Cheese course.

Susan, BANG. That's great.

Thanks everybody for the compliments on our "new loved one," as you called it, Mabelline. It is kind of like being a new proud parent! And about the capon... what a find that was. I intended to buy a "regular" whole chicken for the rotisserie that night, but when I went to the store I found goose on sale for 99 cents a pound. So I scooped up a few of those for us and underneath in the same section they had [mistakenly?] priced all the capons the same! Don't you just love it when that happens? So we have a supply of capon and goose.

(Do you say goose or geese or gooses in this context?)

Jin, a comment from you is a real compliment... I so admire your cooking!

Last night we grilled swordfish steaks with a mango glaze, asparagus, baby corns, & baby carrots, and had a side of pasta with sauce of anchovies, garlic, & EVOO. We don't have lighting hooked up outside yet, so we've often been grilling and picture taking in the dark. It's a good thing the time changes this weekend.

i4919.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night we grilled swordfish steaks with a mango glaze, asparagus, baby corns, & baby carrots, and had a side of pasta with sauce of anchovies, garlic, & EVOO. We don't have lighting hooked up outside yet, so we've often been grilling and picture taking in the dark. It's a good thing the time changes this weekend.

i4919.jpg

This is so, so beautiful. Gorgeous little carrots - do you grow your own?

Last night, I cobbled together dinner for my parents at their house:

Fairly decent Korean-style sashimi (hwe) picked up from the local Asian market - big slabs of salmon and flounder bathed in sesame oil, tossed with julienned cucumber and dipped into dark, pungent chili paste before eating. I wrapped my pieces in lettuce with a dollop of the aforementioned chili paste and a sliver of raw garlic clove.

Delicious radish kimchi my grandmother put up in jars a week ago. Not too ferment-y (which I hate); just lightly sour and almost fruity tasting.

These grilling pics really are whetting my appetite for grilled food yet we have snow predicted for this weekend :angry:

Last night:

Baby spinach leaves tossed with a weird balsamic vinegarette that was comprised of my dressing from the previous two days. Added slices of blood orange and toasted macadamia nuts. I love the color contrast of the blood orange, but as a complement to spinach or romaine, I think regular navel oranges work better.

Fresh fried catfish fillets in Japanese bread crumbs - added a generous amount of cayenne pepper to the egg/milk dip, based on a recipe from Southern living, but it was not nearly enough. The fish was good but needed more spiciness.

Angel hair with toasted pine nuts, sauteed garlic and chopped fresh basil.

Overcooked broccoli - my fault - turned off the wrong burner and left the broccoli cooking. My guest liked it anyway - go figure - she really did. It was way limp and overdone for my taste. It still tasted good 'cause I added adobo and a teaspoon of bacon fat to the water that it was cooked in (obviously I have no vegetarian leanings)

Tonight it will be:

Pan-seared Tuna with ginger-shiitake cream sauce

Lemon Poppyseed noodles

Artichokes

Grilled Goatcheese-stuffed Grapeleaves set on a bed of sliced tomatoes and basil with Lemon olive oil-thyme marinade drizzled over

Peachy Canyon Zinfandel

Edited by NVNVGirl (log)

Very lazy/tired tonight, and an evening of coffee + work ahead of me, too. So tonight was an exercise in very quick and simple cooking, with no effort to be anything like ethnically coherent:

Simmered choy sum with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of roasted sesame oil

Stewed beans and garlic tossed with mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and parsley, accompanied by crispy flatbread-type crackers

Ginger cookies for dessert

It probably took me about 15 minutes of active time, if that. The beans were homemade from dried (hooray for the happy no-soak method!), but left over, so I just heated them through and then tossed them together with the other ingredients. Everything was entirely satisfying, if not the height of culinary glory, so the quality-to-work ratio was definitely to my liking.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Dai gai choy (Chinese mustard cabbage) soup (beef broth with shoyu, rice wine etc.).

Grilled huagu (flower mushroom) slices with chile, to be wrapped in thin scallion pancakes.

Mabo tofu (tofu deep-fried, filled with minved lamb with chiles) in two-inch squares one can pick up.

Seaweed salad with sesame dressing and slices of pillow tofu.

Grilled bluefish with yuzu and ginger oil.

Rice.

I didn't have time to take photographs but here is one of my lunch, a sandwich of the pork and lamb polpotonne from yesterday with provolone and Dijon on an in-house onion bun, frites with fleur de sel, cornichon, and fresh wasabi and mint mayo.

i4938.jpg

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Friday

Grilled Salmon with Soy-Honey and Wasabi Sauces

Garlic Horseradish Mashed Cauliflower

Creamed Spinach

Porcini Risotto

Cherry Cheese Blintzes

All very nice together. :smile: