• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Parmesean crusted salmon.

Macaroni & cheese (with crumbled bacon for the topping, and the roux made from bacon fat)

corn niblets

salad with feta and Paul Newman dressing

garlic bread

Ben & Jerry's coffee heath bar crunch

laurel - i love the idea of the garlic and mustard chard - how do you do it?

Heated up some mustard oil, then cooked some black mustard seeds until they started to pop, cooked some garlic slices until they were golden, dumped in some chard (leaves only, torn into bite size pieces) by handfuls, wilted until they would all fit in the pan with the cover on, and lowered the heat and let them steam until soft.

i4578.jpg

Meatloaf with Meatball Garnish

:wub::wub: Dare I ask what the side dishes were?

I needed food as medicine tonight (it's allergy season, yay!), so I made extra hot Vindaloo chicken and drank club soda with bitters. Mmmmmm...much tastier than decongestant liquitabs.

A meat shake on the side.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

i4578.jpg

I needed food as medicine tonight (it's allergy season, yay!), so I made extra hot Vindaloo chicken and drank club soda with bitters. Mmmmmm...much tastier than decongestant liquitabs.

taste the secret

Gourmet Anarchy

i4578.jpg

taste the secret

Cheeseburger fries.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lemon, Garlic & Thyme-Scented Poussin, pan roasted, with a double stock reduction, lemon and garlic confits, galettes, and tons o' parsnip puree, our favorite root veggie (through a tamis with butter, touch of salt and parsnip-infused cream, and that's it). Riesling.

Also, poussin ballotine (with oven dried tomatoes and goat cheese), but will not likely keep it as an oven roast - spit roasted, yep. But, overall, prefer it plain and simple, with the lemon, thyme and garlic quick marinade, above.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Braised Brisket with Tarragon Gravy, Parsley and Garlic Champ, Bourguignonne Garnish.

i4620.jpg

Served with lightly braised root vegetables and Chateau L'Euziere 2001, Coteaux Du Languedoc, Pic Saint Loup from Marcel and Michel Causse.

Very nice , Andy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Friday night

Butternut Squash Soup

London Broil marinated in soy sauce, sherry, and toasted sesame oil w/garlic

Soba w/vinegrette and scallions

Green Beans tossed with toasted sesame oil

Roasted cherry tomatoes w/garlic and evoo

Brownies w/pecans

Recanati Special Reserve (Cab/Merlot blend) 2000

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Pork "kaku-ni" -- cubes of pork belly very gently preboiled in the piece yesterday and allowed to cool in the broth, then cut up today and simmered slowly in a sweet/soy soup with ginger.

"Ton-jiru" soup -- pork scraps and winter vege miso soup, made with the broth from preboiling the pork.

Salad of mizuna with hot sesame seed dressing

Rice. Of course.

Natto. Of course.

Strawberries.

I've finally had some minor success with the digital camera. None of these photos represent finished plating but are just the few out of many I ried to take at various stages of preperation..

Grilled sea scallop on wakame and mesclun salad with a spot of chile oil on top of the scallop.

Cremini roasted with a good balsmico, extra virgin olive oil, shoyu and wasabi, paprika, s&P, served a dish like this for three with rye toast points.

i4651.jpg

Egg noodles with frenched green beans and scallions sauteed in butter with lemon.

i4652.jpg

Served together with braised beef blade roast.

i4654.jpg

Stilton, epoisses, 10 year old cheddar, chevre merde du supermarche.

edit:

Cool. It worked.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Jin -

PLEASE tell me where you obtained your merde du supermarche! I've got a dinner for my in-laws coming up, and need it to accompany my vin, grand cru du vomitesse. I'm stumped where to go.

:laugh:

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Soba, you know, it took about as long to take, upload, resize the photos etc etc as to make the meal (for 25).

I'll have to find a way to organize this during prep, pre-service, and service.

It is kinda l33t/r00lju to get some photos up finally though.

Of course Adrian (basildog) has a webcam in his kitchen at Margot's so I'm trumped no matter what.

Seared Scallops

Snapper with butter/lemon/caper sauce

Roasted Cauliflower, tomatoes, onion, red bells and chick peas tossed with graden-fresh herbs and EVOO

Eroica reisling

Stop Family Violence

A salad of cranberry beans tossed with garlic, scallions, roasted red peppers, olive oil and sherry vinegar.

A "lasagne" (no noodles) with spinach, roasted eggplant, and three kinds of cheese. This last one turned out surprisingly well, and there are lots of leftovers, hooray!

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Did a duck extravagansa, as an experiment on muscovy v. pekin. The Pekin came from Wild Acres, out of Minnesota. The Muscovy, frozen, from Grimaud Farms.

Made a duck liver crostini - applewood bacon, marsala, shallot, and a rough chop of capers, anchovies, garlic, and diced, MR duck liver. Excellent. Superlative. Thank you Paul Bertolli and Chez Panisse. (Thank you Mediterranean circle).

Treated the breasts the same way - 24 hours ahead of time, s/p; 1 hour before searing, pulled and tempered. Fifteen minutes before searing, dusted with "poultry spice," quatre epice on speed.

Both served with sweet potatoes "savonette," creamed corn (creamed with corn "milk" only), and an integral sauce of a cassis-duck stock, and fresh blackberries.

Muscovy legs, braised with aromatics (onion, leek, carrot, shallot and garlic), tomatoes, garni, duck stock and balsamic, left to cool for a day and reheated. The jus reduced and served as a sauce.

Pekin legs, confit.

The braise was universally praised.

The toe-to-toe winner on the seared breast was the Wild Acres Pekin. Most found the Muscovy "nice," but reminiscent of filet, not duck. I would agree. Underwhelmed on the muscovy flavor - surprisingly, I felt the Pekin was a touch more gamy, when if anything I expected the Muscovy would be. No surprise in the Pekin's juiciness. The Pekin was, in a word, extraordinary. I will need to get in the Muscovy fresh to make a fair comparison, but as of now, much to my surprise going in, I too voted for the Pekin.

I know Wild Acres has developed an extraordinary line of ducks, and that my be a big part of it - generous breasts, very red meat, a great product (standard disclaimer - no affiliation, but may buy when we open).

Lemon sorbet with Chambord to finish.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Today Varmint and I met in Pinehurst to beat a small white ball mercilessly.

Our dining matched our play, top notch all the way. I believe between the 2 of us we had 2 pacs of Nabs, a peanut bar, banana and a couple diet Pepsis and some cheap American beer (just me).

Despite this I had a spectacular time proving that the company is by far the most important part of the meal.

Thanks Varmint!

My boyfriend's parents are visiting for the weekend, so I offered to make dinner at home tonight, for their last night in town. Yeaaay! An excuse to spend a relaxing Sunday cooking! Plus, I love playing hostess. :biggrin: I did a menu of my greatest hits, plus a trial of a new dessert recipe, just for good measure.

Mollie Katzen's "Dreamy White Beans," drizzled with EVOO and balsamic

Roasted asparagus with fleur de sel

Roasted Roma tomatoes with ground coriander

Red-leaf lettuce salad with sherry vinaigrette

Shirley Corriher's "Touch of Grace" biscuits (didn't really go with the menu, but I knew our guests would really enjoy them)

Chocolate fallen souffle cake (from the February 2004 Gourmet) with loosely whipped, lightly-vanilla'd cream

She blogs: Orangette

Last night was "Pasta With Roasted Vegetables And Garlic Broth" from Bon Appétit -

penne with roasted red and yellow peppers, fennel, red onion, and carrot. Tossed with a reduced chicken broth infused with roasted garlic gloves, fresh basil, and lots of Parmigiano Reggiano. This is the third time I've made this, and it never fails to amaze.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.