• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Friday:

Sliced chorizo and longaniza in reduced red wine with onion confit

over

Mashed green plantain with LOTS of roasted garlic puree

Salad, vinaigrette

Beer

Saturday, after a hard afternoon of a focus panel, tasting a friend's potential food products :wink: : Was planning on doing macaroni and cheese to accompany frozen crab cakes :shock: but got home so late ended up making spaghetti with clam sauce (lotsa sliced garlic, oregano, and olive oil; a little red pepper flakes; a splash of the dinner's wine; 2 cans of clams and juice; and a lot of chopped parsley).

Salad, as usual made by HWOE, vinaigrette using basil vinegar.

Paumanok Barrel-fermented Chardonnay, the last of the 2000.

And that rare occurence: DESSERT! -- Pecan pie (Yes, THAT pecan pie :wink: ) and decaf espresso.

tonight:

spiced red cabbage with apples and red wine

bratwurst

boiled potatoes

cheesecake (plain but served with bramble puree)

last night:

pork chops

barbecue beans (sort of o_0 apples, molasses, pinto beans....coke)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Cleaning out the refrigerator before my parents get here on Weds :biggrin:

a sukiyaki inspired dish of beef, komastuna (greens), onions, shirataki and tofu

maguro tataki (finely minced raw tuna) with some okra and soy and wasabi

shibazuke pickles, it is going to be a while before these are gone as I am the only one eating them! :angry:

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Shibazuke pickles...I'm always up for those!

Our fridge is undergoing close inspection, not because of hygiene, but because nobody plans to pay me anything this month, and it's a week till husband's paycheck...

The austerity menus:

Saturday:

Channa dal with vegetables (broccoli from elderly neighbor's plot, reject shiitake from local grower, and pumpkin)

pork patties extended with rice

Sunday:

Lunch: spring rolls with pork and cabbage, soba noodles

Dinner: rest of pork patties, shungiku (chrysanthemum greens) from the shoe-shop owner's garden, miso soup with plenty of veg

I'm always amazed to find how many people posting seem to hit on the same ingredients, in or out of season.

We're having a chicken and okra gumbo for tonight's dinner, thanks to a special on giant okra at the supermarket.

Comin' up: lamb slices and veges seared on a hotplate, with a dipping sauce; grilled salt salmon with tofu-dressed chrysanthemum greens and a clear clam soup (if the budget stretches as far as clams...).

Grilled beef fillet,which had been marinated in soy sauce,lime juice,garlic and ginger. Mixed salad,grilled potatoes and mango salsa. Minor grab of bittersweet chocolate for dessert.

Chicken Cordon blue with tavern ham and camembert. Baby Limas and gren beans with russets mashed with black truffle butter.

The kids actually ate this one.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Pork loin, deboned with slivers of garlic inserted in the meat and allowed to sit for 24-hours in the refridgerator with a rub of salt, pepper, and rosemary. It was cooked on the BBQ, and while cooking it was rubbed with a rosemary sprig dipped in olive oil.

I also made potato/flower gnocchi in a butter-sage sauce, homemade focaccia bread, and a antipasti of roasted bell peppers (red, green, yellow, and orange), quartered artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes tossed with minced garlic, olive oil, and balsamic viniger.

-- Jason

I cooked supper for a friend in return for her not complaining that I wanted to watch Gladiator - again.

- chicken liver pate (secret ingredients: fino sherry and a huge glug of single cream) on toasted brown seedy bread

- corn on the cob (because Lucy loves it)

- whole filleted rainbow trout, cavity stuffed with parsley + lemon + drizzled with olive oil, baked

- grated courgettes fried in garlic + olive oil

- lemon drizzle cake (nobly restrained ourselves to one piece each)

and much girlie weeping as Maximus went to meet his wife and son in the afterlife.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

tonight:

lentil soup (cooked with smoked ham ribs)

tomato scones

lol, plain stuff.. I feel like I shouldn't post my decidedly boring dinners... but hey, I'm catering for 6, it has to be easy, cheapish, tasty and acceptable to a five year old who won't touch spicey food and a 39 year old with a hatred of cinnamon :hmmm:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Every other Sunday, some restaurant biz friends get together for some good food and wine. This week, I had Dan Eaton and his wife over the house for some grub and some wine. You all remember Dan from my Beard House adventure

Menu

Stilton Ice Cream in a Prosciutto cone

acc 1990 Dom Perignon

Deconstructed Lobster BLT with Roasted Garlic Aioli

acc 1997 A.Bichot Chablis Les Vaillons Domaine Long-Depaquit

Foie Gras Terrine acc by Figs, Sauternes Gelee, and a Maple Balsamic Syrup.

w Brioche and Toasted walnuts

acc 2001 Cave Spring Reisling Ice Wine

Butter Poached Lobster with Black Truffle, Broccolini, and Edamame

acc 2001 Marc Morey Chassagne Montrachet

Korean Style Wagyu Skirt Steak with Shitake Fried Rice

acc

2001 Le Serre Nuove (Tenuta dell' Ornellaia)

1999 Quilceda Creek

1998 Ramirez de Ganuza

Tarte Tatin with Creme Anglaise

acc Kracher TBA "10"

ricola

earl grey tea

cough,

cough

Oooh. Sorry, dumpling.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Congee with shunjiku (chrysanthemum) broth and peas.

Steamed baby Shanghai bok choy.

Three kinds of tofu roasted with eryngi mushrooms.

Sweet Shanghai kimchi with lime.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Fully intended to make old-school Americanized spaghetti and meatballs for consumption while watching the Sopranos, but discovered at 8:00pm that - would you believe it - the weather was no less shitty than it had been an hour before that, and the hour before that. Gave up on the idea of hiking down to Safeway. Ordered from Mr. Chen's instead and ate General Tso's Tofu (good), Crispy Beef (ok), Kung Pao Chicken (blech) and their Peking Duck Rolls (didn't even want to share). Subsequently kept awake by mysterious, vaguely ominous fortune: "You will pass a very difficult test."

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Subsequently kept awake by mysterious, vaguely ominous fortune: "You will pass a very difficult test."

Well, the Soprano's was a yawn last night..maybe the test was staying awake through the entire episode.

The fridge is almost empty! :biggrin:

Monday dinner:

sake steamed chicken breasts with julienned celery and cucumbers with a soy-sesame dressing

shrimp with chili sauce (a wonderful purchased product! :biggrin: )

minced raw tuna with okra and wasabi-joyu (I had this yesterday and it was so good I wanted to eat it again.....)

shibazuke

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Stilton Ice Cream in a Prosciutto cone

acc 1990 Dom Perignon

Gordon--

OK. I must know. Not about the Dom Perignon, as on this point I have (sadly) very little basis palate-wise for comparision/imagination, but--

Stilton Ice Cream in a Prosciutto cone? :shock:

What'd you do?

Haven't been cooking much outside of school lately. Last night we had the first of the asparagus, just steamed, with a big-ass side of salmon, grilled, all the while brushed with garlic-butter, and some lemon-y, garlic-y roasted potatoes. Made a rouille to eat with the fish, if we felt like it. At first I wanted to sear the fish on the rangetop so that I could eat the yummy skin, but my mom wasn't too crazy about the idea of me smoking up her house on a Sunday evening, or about the fish skin, to be honest.

Dessert was Edy's chocolate-chip cookie-dough ice cream.

Tonight will probably have pasta and sauce (canned :shock: )

Noise is music. All else is food.

A Fave -

Roast double rack of pork with sage, garlic, thyme and rosemary; parsnips puree (to answer the thread on parsnips - parsnips, YUMMMM!), pinot from some non-descript place and a chocolate-espresso pot de creme with an orange tuile (warm up to our own restaurant, opening in July of this year - all Yooper bound, welcome to Waterstone - the fire is going and your table is ready - there, shameless plug).

Cheers all,

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Monday

Stayed in bed most of the day. Often, that's not a bad thought. Unless you're sick and hacking your lungs out. Then it's not fun.

Thanks for the regards, Jinmyo. Feel a little better tonight. Had some hot and sour soup, tea with honey and lemon. Did some lung qigong. Probably could have used some of your congee.

Paul, where is your restaurant going to be?

Dumpling, the restaurant will be located in Marquette, Michigan, in the heart of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Our first love for many years and looking forward to the venture.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Planned for quick chili and bacon cornbread with cheddar and scallions. Of course, I got sidetracked at work, then at the grocery store while trying to fill a prescription, then on the drive home (stupid GW Parkway!). Started chopping onions and bacon at 9pm. Seared little chunky cubes of chuck in hot hot hot olive oil, removed and tossed in salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne, oregano - where the hell was the oregano? I knew I had oregano. I had SEEN the oregano in my cabinet that morning when I went for the box of Earl Grey. Extended, fruitless search for oregano. Long-suffering, hungry boyfriend sent on mission for oregano.

Meanwhile, sauteed onions and garlic in the fat in the pot. Deglazed with beef stock and a big can of tomatoes, somewhat violently crushed as though they were at fault for the mysteriously dissapearing herbs.

Started cooking the bacon and sifting together dry ingredients for the cornbread. Thinking myself oh-so-clever for not dirtying another pan, I put the pyrex baking dish over a burner, added oil and the chopped bacon, and went about cooking-lull cleanup, thinking I'd cook the bacon and get the pan preheated and greased all at once. Chopped scallions and cubed some triple-sharp cheddar. Was reaching for the baking powder when there was a sort of muffled BOOM, but very loud and accompanied by the tinkle of glass raining down on stone counters. Extended break from cooking to clean up the gawd-awful mess and inspect all surfaces for glass. Congratulated myself for having just put the cover on the chili.

Boyfriend returned with oregano just as I got back from the trash chute. Cornbread went into another pan, oven door shut rather forcefully behind it.

Sour cream in a dish, more cheddar, cilantro, onions minced and arranged on a pretty glass plate. Chili spooned over unexpectedly delicious cornbread. Big kiss from boyfriend: "Thanks for making dinner; you make it look so easy." Polished off my glass of wine, lit a cigarette, thought about seconds.