• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Demitasse of tomato water in an English cucumber cup with a peeled grape tomato and minced chives. (The cucumber cups were soaked in sake.) Eat the cup. Nothing goes out if a cup comes back.

Chickpea frites (gram flour, seasoning, water, egg, set paste in baking pans, cut to size, deep-fry) with aoli.

Roasted seeded (greenhouse) plum tomatoes topped with melted smoked gouda and a piece of double-smoked thick cut bacon. With a thin slice of avocado topped with salmon roe. A corn totilla chip.

Deep-fried chicken wings with ancho powder and toasted cumin seeds in the panko breading, spritzed with lime and draped with coriander leaves and chives, dip of creme fraiche with minced scallion and wasabi.

A grilled sea scallop with minced arugala underneath, topped with a dot of Dijon on a Chinese soup spoon.

Lime sorbet with chopped ripe mango. (Ack. I did a kind of dessert thing.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

And on the "Food Network Isn't that Bad" thread, you said you were "slightly interested" in the Chocolate show! Something is definitely wrong!

I'm going to go outside and make sure the sun isn't being eclipsed.

:shock:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Since this is my first day on this lovely forum, I'll just jump right in. It's the beginning of halibut season here, and it's incredibly pristine, snowy, and juicy. I sprinkled some with salt and pepper, a good dusting of baharat (get some at Adriana's Caravan) and some Urfa pepper (get some from Zingerman's), then spread a layer of roasted garlic hummus over the spices, dusted it with fine dry breadcrumbs, and roasted it in a 400 degree oven until just done. A quick squeeze of lemon and another sprinkle of Urfa pepper and a little flor de sal, and served it with a Greek rice, spinach, and feta dish. Double yum!

Edited by Abra (log)

It's my first time here too.

I LOVE reading what people made for dinner. I always ask friends " what did you have for lunch? for breakfast? for dinner?" They must think I am nuts. One clearly sensible one always gives me a detailed reply, which usually makes my mouth water.

I like it especially when their replies include descriptions of what they cooked, or what they ate out somewhere.

I am a bit hesitant to post what I made last night......I don't cook such gourmet things like many seem to do her, according to what I am reading on this thread. Just simple stuff.

Last night I made a tofu/mango stir fried type thingy...with some serrano chilies in it, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, tofu, little bit of tomato, some capsicums for body and yes, mango. I was annoyed to find that the fresh mango I had was icky in the inside when i cut it open! So had to use.......yuck.....canned mango slices, which disintegrated by the time the dish was done. heck! But still it tasted really great with basmati rice.

I am a bit hesitant to post what I made last night......I don't cook such gourmet things like many seem to do her, according to what I am reading on this thread. Just simple stuff.

Please, please, feel free to post.

Don't let the gourmet stuff scare you away. Those posts are what I aspire to. They inspire me to cook better, to strive to make every meal as best as it can be. Especially Jin's. :wub:

And welcome aboard, btw. Glad to have you along.

Soba

Demitasse of tomato water in an English cucumber cup with a peeled grape tomato and minced chives. (The cucumber cups were soaked in sake.) Eat the cup. Nothing goes out if a cup comes back.

Chickpea frites (gram flour, seasoning, water, egg, set paste in baking pans, cut to size, deep-fry) with aoli.

Roasted seeded (greenhouse) plum tomatoes topped with melted smoked gouda and a piece of double-smoked thick cut bacon. With a thin slice of avocado topped with salmon roe. A corn totilla chip.

Deep-fried chicken wings with ancho powder and toasted cumin seeds in the panko breading, spritzed with lime and draped with coriander leaves and chives, dip of creme fraiche with minced scallion and wasabi.

A grilled sea scallop with minced arugala underneath, topped with a dot of Dijon on a Chinese soup spoon.

Jin-

you REALLY need to start using a digital camera. As always your posts are amazing, I can only imagine how good they look!!

Last night we had my wife's specialty, garlic studded roast beef with mashed potatoes.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last shoestring-budget dinner (although I'm trying to get better about budgeting etc). Visited the little bodega-ish store on 17th Street. Bought a bag of dried split peas and a bony, smoked-till-it-looked-like-jerky ham hock to the tune of $1.97 including tax. Walked two blocks home, pissed off that rather than having soup waiting for me when I got out of the rain, I'd have to spend an hour making it.

Onions, one sad-looking carrot, and the jerky-ham cooked in rendered bacon fat. Peas, water. Ham removed, shredded, returned to pot. Lots and lots of cracked black pepper. Tiny bit of salt.

Dragged my boyfriend out in the cold rain with me for a cigarette run right before we were ready to eat. Came back in, shivering and chilled and wet. Soup was subsequently the best goddamn bowl of soup ever.

Your pea soup sounds just perfect for a cold wet night.

Don't worry! I post to this thread when all I have is Cheerios and beer.

Noise is music. All else is food.

tonight:

cold roast chicken leftovers

salad with walnuts and apple chunks

homemade wholemeal bread

yesterday:

onion soup

toast with gouda cheese

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

And on the "Food Network Isn't that Bad" thread, you said you were "slightly interested" in the Chocolate show! Something is definitely wrong!

I'm going to go outside and make sure the sun isn't being eclipsed.

:shock:

Jacques Torres is a very very talented chef regardless of what he works with.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

i4282.jpg

Vietnamese-style "Hu-tieu" noodle soup, with Banh noodles, chicken, tofu, roast pork, and vegetables

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Friday-St. Joseph's Day

Garlic Bread Sticks

Grilled Scallops marinated with evoo, garlic, basil, oregano and red pepper

Gnocchi alla Sorrentina with basil garnish

Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with garlic

Grilled Artichoke Hearts

it was a clean out the fridge after a week of teaching.. so

a tasting plate of prosciutto, Norcia, Parma and Tuscan as well as from the Cinta Senese which is a free range small pig that has been brought back after almost disappearing.. fabulous! ( famous in old fresco's the black pig with the white belt "cinta"around his back, feeds on acorns and chestnuts)

wild boar salami, Culatello di Zibello...

Cheeses, sheep, cow and goat.. creamy gorgonzola, aged sheeps cheese in lemon balm, a wonderful cow's milk cheese aged in Ash with black truffles...

Stracchino ( my favorite cream cheese with a kick) taleggio and it's cousin Quartarolo..

Pesce Pavone, ( a large shark with no teeth, called veal of the sea) lightly sauteed with a gremolata and white wine sauce..

nice salad.. and strawberries with red wine and sugar!

it was a clean out the fridge after a week of teaching.. so

a tasting plate of prosciutto, Norcia, Parma and Tuscan as well as from the Cinta Senese which is a free range small pig that has been brought back after almost disappearing.. fabulous! ( famous in old fresco's the black pig with the white belt "cinta"around his back, feeds on acorns and chestnuts)

wild boar salami, Culatello di Zibello...

Cheeses, sheep, cow and goat.. creamy gorgonzola, aged sheeps cheese in lemon balm, a wonderful cow's milk cheese aged in Ash with black truffles...

Stracchino ( my favorite cream cheese with a kick) taleggio and it's cousin Quartarolo..

Pesce Pavone, ( a large shark with no teeth, called veal of the sea) lightly sauteed with a gremolata and white wine sauce..

nice salad.. and strawberries with red wine and sugar!

YUM!! Need any help cleaning out your fridge next time, let me know! I'll just slip right over to Italy. :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

it was a clean out the fridge after a week of teaching...

Ha ha ha.

Nice fridge.

Saturday dinner

BBQ at a friends house was cancelled due to rain and VERY cold weather, so we ended up with

penne in an alfredo sauce with sugar snap peas and onions

cookies for dessert

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Friday night dinner

Butternut Squash Soup

Turkey Breast w/Apricot-Ginger sauce

Roasted Cauliflower

Onion Kugel

Pears poached in white wine w/ginger,lemon zest and cardomon pods

Ramon Cordova Rioja 2001

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Gratin of red peppers, zucchini, shallots, Lancaster cheese, garlic and herbs with roast Seacat.

Seacat is also known as Wolf-fish is a new fish to me. It is a giant blennie and ugly as hell, in a Jim Henson workshop cute type of way. Found in the waters of the coast of Scotland and regions further north. Medium boneless fillets , half an inch thick, sweet mild flavour, medium firm texture (I have seen the fillets being sold as 'John Dory' and 'Monk-fish'). If the fisheries are developed, expect it to become very popular. No doubt will be marketed in the States as 'Scandanavian Sea Bass'.

Mixed grain (Japanese gohan, Lundberg organic short brown, Korean sticky short brown, barley, wild rice) with sauteed (with shoyu and wasabi) eryngi and sliced button mushrooms.

Shunjuku (chrysanthemum greens) soup with lemon zest and triangles of pillow tofu.

Slices of pickled mango with slices of fresh mango and twists of very hot and sweet preserved ginger.