• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Smothered chicken, from the Edna Lewis/Scott Peacock Southern cooking book

Broccolini with brown butter

Salad of dark outer romaine leaves with cucumber and red bell pepper, blue cheese dressing

Dessert, later on: blueberries with whipped cream

I've been busy for the past couple of weeks and had a few business meetings over dinner, so I'll just hit a couple of the highlights of dinners we cooked recently.

A Mojito-marinated fish dish (mahi? ...I can't remember) was really good, accompanied by a salad of edamame, asparagus, and arugula with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.

i3506.jpg

Tonight we roasted a goose, David Leite style, and seasoned it tropical/cajun/southern style. With it we had black beans over rice as a side-dish, and a yummy mango and avocado and etc. salsa, and fried ripe plantains.

i3508.jpg

One night I made up a dish of an avocado half, topped with shrimp and a salsa mixture, garnished with some of those yummy guacamole tortilla chips.

i3510.jpg

More to come, if/as I remember...

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Last night, lightly smoked, grilled pork loin, cabbage and pancetta braised in an auslese riesling, soft parmesan polenta.

This morning, a large brioche, sliced, dusted with confectioners and broiled a bit, strawberry jam, good turkish coffee.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Saturday night we found the second-floor window of a Thai restaurant near my brother in law's new apartment....and diligent searching revealed tiny dark wooden stairs up to a tiny door -- ducking under the next floor's staircase brought us into a tiny 10-seater restaurant, run by a tiny middle-aged Thai woman.

It looked as if she mainly served home-style food for local Thai girls, but she did a great job of feeding the 5 of us -- husband and I had a green curry of chicken and aubergine with rice and a small salad, brother in law and one kid had a sweet/salty dish of pork and kikurage (cloud-ear) with rice, and our other son had (I think) a thick pork stew with rice and a fried egg! We munched on fragrantly herbed deep-fried fish patties dipped in hot oil sauce while we waited. We look forward to our next visit...

I put off the supermarket run till tomorrow, so tonight's dinner was

miso soup with tofu and wakame (sea lettuce)

rice

sweet potatoes deep-fried in 3 different shapes, served first for kids and husband to nibble while waiting and watching our newly revived TV

salad of mizuna and small amount of shredded salad, vinagrette with sesame seeds

deep-fried chicken, soaked in milk seasoned with salt and curry powder, into which I mixed some flour and baking powder (because we'd run out of eggs). Turned out much better than I deserved!

As for aging foodstuff, Kris, my old friend's even older mother gave me some butter that was over 3 years old a while back!

i3570.jpg

Tonight:

Creamed Grits with Sauteed Shrimp and Thyme, ala Vidalia, in DC

Kale cooked in olive oil and garlic, with tomato-ginger relish

Australian Chardonnay

Yum!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Friday:

A forgettable ceviche with forgettable accompanyment.

Corn-bread muffin from local bakery.

Saturday:

Battered Cod with Siracha-ginger mayo.

Pesto mashed potatoes.

Sauteed spinach.

More ginger ice cream.

Sunday:

Pumpkin gnocci with Parmesan.

Roasted shallot experiment(!)

Asparagus.

Possibly more ginger ice cream.

- houmous + crudites + black olives served on the breakfast bar in the kitchen to everyone hanging around whilst I tinkered with the main course:

- chicken, apricot + prune tagine with a few mushrooms + whole almonds fried in butter

- couscous with lemon + coriander

- steamed green beans tossed with spinach sauteed in garlic, squeeze of lemon

- cubes of potatoes roasted with chunks of fennel, fennel seeds, saffron, garlic + EVOO (didn't really go but I hadn't made them in ages and I love them)

then the BLOODY oven died halfway through the tarte tatin. None of the neighbours were in (on a Sunday night? where WERE they??) so we brought forward the cheese course slightly (Gouda, Dovedale Blue and an Epoisses that was verging on inedible it was so runny), and I pacified the mutterings with some jelly beans and chocolate raisins while I picked the flaccid pastry slab off the apples and finished them off on the hob + served with creme fraiche - they turned out delicious, buttery and caramelly - but I kicked the oven a LOT.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Tuesday, some very beautiful Tilefish fillets, cut from a 6 lb. Tilefish before my very eyes (most of the fish fillets I find come in already cut). Put some Arbequina olive oil (Spain) in the bottom of a roasting pan, layered in sliced organic Meyer lemons, organic garlic, and organic fresh Oregano, added the fish and sprinkled some Fleur de Sel, and repeated the lemon, garlic and oregano with more oil. Topped with parchment paper and baked in the oven. Came out just as I had hoped (very delicious indeed) and confirmed my committment to try to find whole fish, which gets just harder and harder.

Thursday, Swordfish steaks, seared on a hot griddle and cooked through, dressed with a condiment of olive oil infused with fresh garlic, fresh mint leaves, and white vinegar, a dish I ate a lot of in Italy. Accompanied by some baked white-fleshed yams which were plain and outstanding on the side.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

carrot mousse with sides of crumbled french feta

asian pork balls(pot stickers with no wrappers basically)

For the main meal:

a spinach soup with a chicken stock mash po base, garlic, caramelized onions, cumin, coriander, thai peppers, and a splash of heavy cream.

ciabatta

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

Last night found head-on Maine shrimp at Citarella, so I got a pound and a couple of 2 pound lobsters. Had...

Maine Shrimp w/Vanilla, Garlic, and Coconut Milk

Pan-Roasted Lobster with Chervil, Tarragon, and Chives

Corn-on-the-Cob

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Here dinners for pretty much a whole week, last one being yesterday Sunday. Lazinness prevented me from posting images sooner

Ham Hock and split pea soup

Corn Bread with cheddar cheese layer

i3595.jpg

Homemade Dosas stuffed with potato/mushroom/green pepper mixture

Tomato/cilantro raita

Tomato Chutney

i3594.jpg

Smoked brisket

A crunchy salad made with radishes, apples, carrots, mint, celery in a creamy tahine dressing (from one of Jamie Oliver’s books). It was very tasty.

Baked beans. From a can since they were a last minute request.

i3593.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

saturday: bucatini with squid and mussels

107-0778_IMG.JPG

sunday: it was warm enough to grill in the northeast, so we fired it up for the first time this year. chicken marinated in olive oil, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, chili, cilantro, scallion, salt and pepper. along with grilled fingerlings and grilled red onions with thyme.

107-0780_IMG.JPG

Foodman,

Gorgeous pictures!!

That Jamie Oliver recipe is called something like Moorish salad, isn't it? I have had that page bookmarked for a while now, glad to know it turned out well, I am going to give it a try.

Monday dinner:

huge Greek salad with romaine lettuce, red peppers, cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta cheese

panko coated fish fillets (a frozen product) deep fried and served with a tartar sauce, I was gone all day and had forgetton to defrost the chicken I was going to cook.....

basmati rice cooked in the rice cooker with green peas, corn, red onion and paprika

one piece of leftover spanakopitta

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Fairly casual. For ten. Made a lot of pasta for pasticchio later.

Salad of warm shattered smoked chicken with lime aoili and mache (lamb's quarters).

Ziti and spinach with tomato and roasted red pepper sauce (and guajillo chile) with slices of calf liver sausage. (Sauce was pureed smooth.)

Buttered petit pois and broad beans with lemon zest. (Both from frozen, the peas from France, the beans from Italy.)

Roasted fennel and white onion topped with panko and slabs of halumi cheese.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Crackers, triple cream cheese, and onion confit, followed by a salad of greens, sauteed shallots, and scrambled eggs that was inspired by a recent article in the NY Times.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Steamed chicken breast stuffed with ricotta, roaring 40s blue cheese and scallions

Angel hair pasta tossed with a bit of lemon-butter sauce

Steamed rapini

(The lemon-butter sauce was originally for the chicken according to the recipe, but it was better on the pasta. Also, I was supposed to use parmensan instead of the blue cheese, but I didn't have any.)

Last night...

To start, pan-seared foie gras with a sauce of preserved shallots, port wine, aged sherry vinegar, and apricot preserves

fg-3.jpg

and to follow, rare duck breast with Truffle-Potato galette (with very disappointing canned truffles, cooked in duck fat), and chickory and escarole salad with horseradish-orange dressing.

mag-2.jpg

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Excellent photographs, markk.

I have never been happy with tinned truffles.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

That Jamie Oliver recipe is called something like Moorish salad, isn't it? I have had that page bookmarked for a while now, glad to know it turned out well, I am going to give it a try.

yeah that's the one, form his Jamie's Kitchen book. Very tasty.

Last night:

I had made a new batch of stock the day before, had a butternut squash that needed to be used up and some creme fraiche in the fridge...

So I made a risotto with roasted butternut squash, crispy thick slab bacon, lots of parmesan and topped with a generous spoon of creme fraiche after plating.

Dessert: Homemade rum raisin ice cream

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog