• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Tonight? A cheesesteak sandwich and lots of beer. The sandwich (I wouldn't dare call it "a Philly") is made up of shaved chuck roast, carmelized onions, sauteed serranos, and grated cheddar. As you can see, circumstances required that I pile it on good 'ol supermarket white bread.

i2933.jpg

The rest of the roast became this week's chili. Here's the before...

i2934.jpg

...and here's the after...

i2935.jpg

Looks to me like it's itching for an overnight vacation in the fridge.

Edited by flybottle (log)

Tonight was left-overs. I had black beans and rice. Blovie had lamb stew and rice.

I'm feeling lazy.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Alsatian onion tart (a NY Times recipe by Andre Soltner)

Six-hour roasted roma tomatoes

Braised Brussels sprouts

Macrina sour ficelle

And a few chocolate-chocolate-fleur de sel Korova Cookies, from Dorie Greenspan's "Paris Sweets"--I made them to take to a seminar tomorrow, and we had to make sure they wouldn't kill anyone. :biggrin:

Mmmm... :wub:

She blogs: Orangette

Last evening, pasta Bolognese. It's funny, isn't it, how something that takes so long to make actually provides nearly instant dinner later on. The time gets invested on one end or the other, in this case the past week-end when I prepared Marcella-style Bolognese sauce with the excellent chuck we were otherwise using for Sunday burgers.

With a de Cecco version of square alla chitarra noodles, (which I know only as a fresh-pasta shape), dry in the yellow and blue box, alla de Cecco. Not too bad, but I'm never as thrilled with de Cecco in general as much as everybody else seems to be.

But the sauce was good, tossed with the pasta and showered with Parmigiano and Pecorino Romano.

Nice butter lettuce salad dressed with olive oil and Balsamico, baguette.

Beringer 2002 Zinfandel, surprisingly good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Weds dinner:

Major kitchen crisis occured when I did not properly read the recipe I was cooking from. I some how missed an hour of cooking time and my family could not wait, so I will save that chicken for tonight and last night I ended up throwing together

miso nikomi udon

udon noodles and vegetables (carrots, gobo, onion and kabocha) with satumage (deep fried fish patties) simmered in a miso sauce

dessert:

cranberry upside down cake

(you can read about this other disaster here http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=37104&hl= )

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Fried plantains with a lemon, sesame, shoyu and wasabi dipping sauce with lemon zest and ginger batonettes.

Roasted hua and cremini mushrooms and cotton tofu cubes with Guilan chile sauce.

Slaw of grated daikon, chopped daikon greens, chonggakmu kimchi (pony tail radish), shaved celery, chopped celery greens, chopped scallions, grated green cabbage and carrots.

Roasted chicken thighs with roasted red Thai chile sauce (marinated first in ayran and garlic) with lime and coriander pesto.

White and Korean sweet short-grain brown rice.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

monday: grilled veggie cuban sandwich.

inspired by the veggie cubano at chez henri in cambridge, MA. grilled zucchini, eggplant, red onions, roasted red and yellow peppers, swiss cheese, and what truly gives it that zing, cornichons and yellow mustard. brushed with olive oil (instead of the traditional butter) and pressed on our panini press.

107-0764_IMG.JPG

That looks so good. Did you use the panini maker to grill the veggies?

I've been told you can do that.

you could grill the veggies on the panini press, but i haven't had great results with it. the surface isn't that big, so it would take a while to do them all. also, i love the nice char marks that a real grill pan or grill puts on the veggies. the panini press steams them too much and turns them soggy.

Thursday dinner:

red cooked chicken with daikon and dried shiitakes (this was supposed to be last night's dinner...)

pork, carrots and onion stirfry with a bulgogi sauce

potato salad with mentaiko (spicy cod roe)

Japanese and Jasmine rices

dessert:

ice cream

We had veal cutlets brushed with dijon mustard and then breaded and baked in the oven. As a side I roasted cauliflower and red onions tossed with a little evoo. And we had some pumpernickle raisin bread. Apple cider to drink.

No dessert. But I'll have a grapefruit later as a snack.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

tuesday: squid salald with white beans, chili, and mint. also has scallions, cilantro, tomatoes, and a lime dressing. we used to do it will grilled squid, but poaching it briefly makes it for a much easier cleanup and a nice tender squid.

Beautiful! We love squid salads... thanks for the idea of white beans.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

- bok choi, okra, courgettes + tofu stir fried with garlic, ginger, soy + chilli

- cauliflower + carrots roasted with cumin, garlic + olive oil, suqeeze of lemon juice before serving

all this healthy food in preparation for forthcoming weekend of horrific overindulging - hurrah!

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

johnnybird has decided we should do vegetarian one night a week. he will now be giving up friday as a fish night.

salad of mixed baby greens

spicy vegeterian chili (for me) and plenty of leftovers for when i am out of town this weekend

pizza with artichoke hearts, black olives, red peppers and onions

dessert: red anjou pear with maytag blue cheese and a small glass of port

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Friday dinner:

cheese fondue

with a wonderful baquette, sausages, asparagus, fresh baby corn and potatoes

we had two extra kids for dinner they all loved it

dessert:

ice cream

The Gomes Lecture and Dinner in honour of The Revd Professor John Gomes DD, a greatly admired figure in both the Cambridges.

The dinner followed the lecture given in College by The Rt Hon Sir Edward George, an old member and former Governor of the Bank of England. He spoke on "Reflections of a Central Banker".

In Hall

Potage de moules epice au safran

(Velote of mussels and saffron)

Trio de champignons sauvage

(WIld mushrooms three ways: crostini, mousse and stuffed)

Magret de canard roti infuse de gingembre et rhubarbe

(roast duck breast with ginger and rhubarb; chateau potatoes, braised fennel and pureed cauliflower (!))

Tarte aux amadines avac abricots poche aux cognac et une creme glacee aux amandes roties

(Almond tart on apricots poaches in cognac, with a roast almond icecream)

Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses 1995

Nuits St Georges Domaine de L'Arlot 1995

Kreuznacher St Martin Riesling Berenauselese 1989

In the long gallery

Desert (famhouse cheeses, fruit, petit four, chocolate truffels)

Coffee

Grahams 1977

Ch. de l'Angludet 1990

Moulin Touchas 1985

Edited by jackal10 (log)

i2996.jpg

Gemelli with Broccoli, Chicken and Sundried Tomatoes in a "carbonara-like" sauce.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nice, Jason.

Slices of long-braised blade roast surrounded by a reduction made from the braising liquid (tomato and assorted vegetable juices, mire poix, garlic, bay leaves, ginger).

Piles of sauteed spinach with garlic.

Slices of in-house baguettes with Normandy butter to dip into the sauce and for suceeding cheese course:

Stilton, 10 year Balderson cheddar, gruyere, Rouy, camembert with gherkins and onion "marmelade".

C'est tout.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo: Can I come over for dinner sometime?

Tonight Marissa and I 'feasted' on a potato-leek soup with no garnishes. We had a wine class to go to and about a 15-minute window for dinner, so I had soup ready when she got home, and we chowed down and left.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth