• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Broiled chicken breast that has been marinated in Ancho Chile powder and orange juice. Served it with a sweet and sour rice pilaf made with raisins, dried apricots, almonds and pomegranate molasses.

Dessert: Crepes with Nutella filling

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

-- Mussels, steamed in a chile - lemongrass broth

-- 1/2 rack of lamb seared, rubbed with chopped mint, cilantro, fish sauce, chiles, and ginger, then roasted and cut into chops

-- carrots with julienned lemongrass and scallions caramelized with a bit of mirin and sesame oil

-- baby bok choy leaves sauteed with garlic

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

these past two days have been good cooking days for me, so i actually felt brave enough to post.

sunday: i did a hotpot with some friends, and made potstickers. i tried to imitate my mom's hotpot ingredients as best i could, and no one complained, so i guess i did all right. :biggrin:

monday: the great thing about hotpot leftovers is that it's all raw food that's already been sliced and prepped. so i just took the leftover squid and shrimp and turned it into seafood risotto (ala mark bittman, but i had to make some adjustments due to lack of clams and mussels). it turned out pretty good. and we had salad with balsamic vinagrette with the risotto.

Mediterranean Sausage Ragout, from this month's Fine Cooking: sweet Italian sausage, onion, minced garlic & ginger, sliced carrots, paprika, cinnamon, ground coriander, chile flakes, chicken broth, tomato sauce and chick peas. Delicious. Both kids hated it. :rolleyes:

Served over white corn polenta with EVOO, with steamed broccoli alongside.

Ice cream for dessert, unless I can convince Scott to bake some chocolate chip cookies tonight.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Tuesday-

In Honor of my best friend's birthday, We had some of the family assembled.

Coconut Beer Battered Shrimp, with a lime ginger honey mustard mayo sauce

(very nice!). Made the shrimp without batter for myself and my dad, the batter without shrimp for my Mother and the battered shrimp for the normal people who can eat everything

Vegetable Spring Rolls with bean thread noodles, black mushrooms, carrots, scallions, julienned broccoli, cilantro, sesame seeds, sesame oil, sugar and a little hoisin. Served with nac mam.

Chicken Balls with Honey Lychee Mango Sauce- Some of the chicken balls were rolled in crushed walnuts, some not. So I made some spinach with salt, sugar and sesame oil, plated that, then alternated- ringing the spinach- the balls and a little of the vegetable mix from the spring rolls. A little vegetable mix in the center with cilantro garnish. Then, had the sauce on the side(Mangos and Lychees with a sweet chili sauce). The presentation was very attractive(Have to start putting pictures up!).

Brown Rice

People basically didn't pay attention to what sauce was supposed to go with what dish; my mother put the sweet chili sauce on everything. But actually the sauces did seem to go with everything.

Cheesecake Tart with Strawberry Port Glaze- My mother thought that this was one of the best desserts she's had in recent memory, and she is definitely into sweets. The cheesecake seemed to firm up very quickly, and was light and airy while at the same time being wonderfully creamy(I had a little teaspoonful). More mousselike than cakelike but still firm enough. The glaze was not so much a glaze as a sauce but was marvelous with the port wine, having a truly fragrant body to it. :wub::wub:

Little labor intensive for a weekday meal but worth it.

You might think this is weird, but I've been craving chicken salad, and a few days ago I had some really lousy chicken salad. And I've been wanting to make mayo at home again for a while. And I've been really wanting to do some baking, but I haven't really had time.

So tonight I poached some chicken breasts and legs, and made chicken salad with homemade basil mayonnaise, served on homemade white bread (from Baking With Julia), which was the only bread I could make quickly enough for an after-work dinner (and even white bread was pushing it). It was really quite delicious, and it was such a wholesome feeling to have made both the bread and the mayonnaise in the sandwich!

And I served a salad of green leafy lettuce (was it Boston lettuce?) and dandelion greens with a simple vinaigrette.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

We went salmon fishing over the summer and froze individual portions, so we've been enjoying wild salmon over the winter.

Tonight I started the salmon on the stove until a crust formed and then finished it in the oven, and served it with spinach, roasted potatoes and carrots, and pickled onions. I tossed the veggies with a vinaigrette made with chardonnay that was reduced to about 10% of its volume (brown and syrupy), olive oil, meyer lemon juice, minced shallots, dijon mustard, and a bit of sugar.

Kind of random, but it was pretty tasty.

allison

Salmon fishing, awesome. Enjoying wild salmon from your own freezer MIGHT make winter tolerable!

I'm continuing to take advantage of the cool temperatures, for making cold-weather foods. Last night was the first time I ever used a recipe for making chili. I "followed" this recipe for Pork, Beef, and Black Bean Chili, leaving out the pound of beef cubes, approximately two third-ing the rest of the ingredients, and substituting two Hershey's Kisses for the sugar. It was real good. Oh, and no grated cheese on top... chopped raw sweet onion instead.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Stir fry with tuna, baby bok choi, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and rice noodles.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Baked gnocchi with 3 cheeses ( recipe from the most recent Martha

Stewart mag)- added some diced tomatoes which improved the

dish IMO.

Roasted asparagus with evoo and sea salt

a green salad with toasted pecans

Melissa

-- (Muscovy) duck breast, rubbed with habanero chile powder, meyer lemon zest, and salt, quickly seared, roasted, then served with a lemon-shallot pan sauce.

-- sauteed red chard with sumac.

-- a salad of romaine and radicchio leaves, julienned scallion, and cucumbers with a champagne vinaigrette.

Eh. It was okay. The duck was a bit tough -- is this a hallmark of Muscovy ducks, or did I do that?

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

more hotpot leftover usage:

last night i turned the leftover sliced beef and "wonton meat" (pork and shimp mixture that my mom uses for wonton filling as well as "meatballs" for hotpot) into stirfry with green beans. i roasted some cauliflower too for the first time. i am now a convert. :wub:

chilled silken tofu with fresh thinly sliced napa cabbage kimchi, splash of shoyu.

ingen no goma ae (green beans with a sesame dressing).

gobo kinpira (quick soy-sake-sugar saute of burdock root).

brussels sprouts roasted with ginger, shoyu, dressed afterwards with sesame oil and a crunch of salt.

shiitake wrapped in foil with a pat of butter, splash of shoyu, glug of sake, sprinkle of salt, tossed in 400 oven for a bit. squeezed with lemon afterwards.

japanese rice.

clementines for dessert.

Fish Tacos ala Rubio's (since I am only 2000 miles from the nearest Rubios)

I used some beautiful puppy drum my neighbor brought me this afternoon.

Delicious.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

pork liver sauteed with baby bok choy, onions and bean sprouts

gobo, cucumber and carrot salad with a spicy mayo dressing

edamame

Japanese rice

dessert:

chocolate cake

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kris, you can persuade your family to eat liver? I have to save it for lunches when my elder son and I are the only ones home...

We had younger son's birthday dinner today...his requests were:

okowa (sticky rice, in this case cooked with a little black sticky rice in place of red beans)

miso soup with tofu and wakame

sweet potato simmered with yuzu (citron) and a little mirin (sweet sake) and served with shreds of yuzu peel

spinach dressed with ground black sesame seed

Beef (we found some NZ grass-fed beef while buying lamb for Mongolian noodles!) cooked Korean barbeque style.

Birthday cake postponed so he can have it at a weekend party with his best friend, who has the same birthday...and everybody too sick with fevers too eat much anyway.

How did Mia's mumps affect her birthday?

Last evening, last minutey, lateness threatening, Toad-in-the-Hole. I like all the Yorkshire-pudding relatives. Used Jane Grigson's idea of a thin layer of batter baked on its own briefly first, THEN the sausages arranged, then the rest of the batter and back in the oven. Seemed right to employ the oval gratin dish with TRADITIONAL ENGLISH BAKER printed right there inside under the glaze.

Used Nigel Slater's recipe for Marsala-enriched onion gravy, what a find THAT is, joins the A-list immediately. For the Toad-in-the-Hole occasions, anyways -- Mr. Slater uses it on other things as well.

Teensy peas & carrots from France in a glass jar, you know the type, slowly super-heat-infused with butter, lots of s & p. Just right.

Rose of Rioja, also just right.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Kris, you can persuade your family to eat liver? I have to save it for lunches when my elder son and I are the only ones home...

We had younger son's birthday dinner today...his requests were:

okowa (sticky rice, in this case cooked with a little black sticky rice in place of red beans)

miso soup with tofu and wakame

sweet potato simmered with yuzu (citron) and a little mirin (sweet sake) and served with shreds of yuzu peel

spinach dressed with ground black sesame seed

Beef (we found some NZ grass-fed beef while buying lamb for Mongolian noodles!) cooked Korean barbeque style.

Birthday cake postponed so he can have it at a weekend party with his best friend, who has the same birthday...and everybody too sick with fevers too eat much anyway.

How did Mia's mumps affect her birthday?

Helen, my kids all hate liver! their dinner was rice with furikake and the gobo-cucumber-carrot salad.

My husband and I love liver though and I try to make it at least once a month in some form.

Helen tell me more about the satsumaimo and yuzu dish, I have all of those ingredients just waiting to be made into something and that sounds great.

Yes the mumps did affect her birthday, all she could eat was the mashed potatoes and whe even had a hard time with the cake,. We also to cancel her birthday party (but we will do it next week).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kibbet Raheb: a Lebanese soup made with lentils, chard and lemon juice. with bulghur/herb dumplings cooked in it. I haven't had this for years. It was very good but not exactly the same as the one mom makes. I have to call her to get more specific instructions.

Chard ribs steamed till soft and tossed with Tahine sauce.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I used some beautiful puppy drum my neighbor brought me this afternoon.

Puppy drum? OK, I give up. What is a puppy drum?

Puppy Drum are a small size (< 5 lbs.) Black Drum. THese fish are very common in the Gulf of Mexico and while they do not qualify as the sleekest looking fish in the food chain, they are particularly delicious and have a succulent sweet flesh that is very flaky (not unlike cod).

The nice folks at the LSU Ag Center provide more drum info here

Tonight's dinner is:

corned beef and cabbage

fresh snap beans

The First Pontchatoula Strawberries of the Year with a little sweetened heavy cream. :wub: (they are amazingly sweet and succulent this year, pray for no more cold weather and we will have them through May if we are lucky)

A little description of the Ponchatoula Strawberry by EL

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...