• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Just got in from partying for the last two days.

New Years eve

Walked and froze our little patushkas off at Longwood Gardens. Very lovely displays of flowers and lights for Christmas.

Assembled a lovely dinner last night with friends. My friends brought some lovely appetizers:

Gyoza

Kimchi

Fried tofu with chili

Korean pancake made of some kind of bean flour

Sushi

Fresh tuna and greens salad

and I assembled ingredients for a hot pot- lobster tails, jumbo shrimp, oysters, chicken, beef and vegetables.

One friend made saketinis the other put on Motown and we were set for the evening. I was basically incoherent from the saketinis way before midnight, being basically a non-drinker. But these things were lovely- amaretto, pineapple juice, vodka, sake.

The lobster tails were the best part of the hot pot, very nicely done.

Amazingly fun night!

Then resurrected myself with the sun. Subsequently drove back for the next party-

alanz's New Year's Day party. He always puts on a tremendous feed. Bulgogi, brisket, chicken wings-all done on his Kamado. Great toy. Lauren's coleslaw and potatoes. Varied and asundry things brought by guests. Apparently cheese and pate that I missed and didn't see.

I brought a gingerbread house. First one I ever made. Was pretty cute considering. Kids had been picking at it during the evening, so at the end of the evening I started the new tradition of the ceremonial smashing of the gingerbread house- karate chopping it to cave the roof in. My theory was if pressure was properly applied downward it should cave in rather than shatter out. Lauren's take was that it was going to shatter in a million pieces all over her dining room. My theory was basically true because the side walls didn't come down But some of the roof, icing and candy on the roof did fly off a little so Lauren was sort of right too.

Two more parties over the weekend and then I can go back to a regular schedule of actual work and normalcy.

Going to Amma on Saturday!

(NOTE FROM MANAGEMENT: This topic is a continuation of Dinner! 2003)

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added management note. (log)

Tonight I'm hosting shabbat dinner for 7. It's a pre-birthday celebration for Blovie.

Butternut Squash Soup

Spinach Salad w/Avacado and Hearts of Palm

Sake Roasted Turkey (my first turkey ever, wish me luck!)

Cranberry and Dried Cherry Compote

Sauteed Mushrooms and wilted arugala

Wild Rice and Orzo salad with Walnuts and Scallions

Savory Pumpkin Pie

Chocolate Mousse

Fruit

Haven't decided on the wine yet.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I made the "Best Mushroom Risotto" from Cook's Illustrated.

My very first rissotto and WOW am I in love. I used chopped proscuitto instead of the reccomended pancetta, cause I had it, I used more wine too...

I also served grilled sagey chicken thighs and green beans.

Does anyone know if risotto freezes well at all?

New Year's Eve started with various hors d'oeuvres and then our first try of domestic caviar, Paddlefish. The main event was Roberta Donna's recipe for White Truffle Risotto, surrounded by Seared Scallops with Truffle Vinaigrette. Dessert was chocolate truffles. Midnight snack was fingerling potatoes and Raclette with onions and cornichons, using our new Raclette grill.

dinner_time_12-31-2003_005.jpg

Last night we had grilled steaks and grilled vegetables, with a little drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar, and roasted garlic and Raclette mashed potatoes.

Tonight it's going to be appetizers and such at our happy hour stops.

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

My mom got me a soups and stews collection of recipes from Cooking Light and I have been going nuts. Since Christmas I have made white chicken chili, red chicken chili, and beef and potato stew. They all came out really well, except I prefer my beef chili to the red chicken chili. They are very similar except the chicken chili calls for 3 cups of chicken stock and a lot more chili powder and is more soupy than stewy. It gave me an excuse to make chicken stock out of the roast chicken carcass from new year's eve though and I also got to use up the leftover chicken.

Dinner for 12 on Saturday Night:

Tuna Tartar on Endive

Smoked Salmon Croque Monsieur

Phyllo and Rosemary Crusted Shrimp

Red pepper Mousse, Chopped Herbs and deep fried Prawns in an Orange Crust

Slivered Diver Sea Scallops with Chive and EVO

Brandade de Morue

Arctic Char with Parmesean Polenta, Mushroom Consomme and White Truffle Oil

Black Bass in Bouillabaisse sauce with Shingled Diver Sea Scallops

Roast Monkfish on Napa Cabbage with a Bacon Butter sauce

Braised Short Ribs

Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Grapefruit

Chocolate Ravioli in Chocolate sauce

No cheese? Weren't people a bit peckish after that? :wink:

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Mascarpone, Crispy Pancetta, and Truffle Oil

I took my time on this soup, running it through blender, then strainer, and back through a chinois. Very velvety. The seasoned mascarpone was dolloped cold in the center of a shallow soup bowl. I finished with one ladle of soup, diced crispy pancetta, chives, and a drop or two of truffle oil. Very wintery and very rich. One ladle was plenty. It would be a good very small first course as part of an extended meal.

R. Jason Coulston

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

A few seared shrimp with a chili-spiked mayo dipping sauce.

A fat pork chop with a mustardy pan sauce finished with cream.

Broccoli with a little lemon juice and butter

Edited by Malawry (log)

Went to motorcycle show and ate hot dogs with friends. No cooking today, but tomorrow, planning cherry cola ribs for lunch with maybe some garlic mashed Yukons. For dessert, smashed gingerbread house.

Amma for dinner!

Last night we had roasted duck, potato gratin, and braised Brussel sprouts. We also had a nice Gigondas to drink as well as an after dinner espresso.

Life without chocolate is too terrible to contemplate.

Inspired by recent threads, I got a shell roast ( = rib roast, boneless alas :sad: ) at the Pathmark a few days ago. Not the greatest quality, and almost totally devoid of fat cap, but it called to me. So:

Roast beef, with a "crust" of cracked black pepper, rendered beef fat, and white miso

2 jus: the pure stuff that collected as the meat sat, and the mirepoix/red wine/beef stock-enhanced drippings

Individual Yorkshire puddings

Plain steamed broccoli

Salad with artichoke-flavored dressing

J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon 2000

Does anyone know if risotto freezes well at all?

Just saw your question...

Not to sound like a smart ass, but I really wouldn't want to freeze risotto. It is meant to be served immediately after preparation in a slightly warmed bowl and enjoyed slowly, savoring each bite. That is why it is served in a bowl, in a rounded portion (in a "pile", not a flatter portion) and eaten from the outside in, so that it stays hot and fresh. :wub: At least that's my opinion.

Glad you too have fallen in love with risotto. It is a wonderful food!

Or suppli.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It will keep for a couple of days in the fridge, and then you can make it into rice croquettes.
Good advice and great timing. Thank you, Suzanne.

I have a supply of really good Carnaroli rice, so we have been on a risotto kick. Tonight's dinner may have been one of the best tasting dishes I've ever had, a risotto I made with jumbo lump crabmeat and delicious fresh goat cheese. It was the second time I made it, and as is true so often, the quality of ingredients can make or break a recipe. I have already formed what was left over into two risotto-and-crab cakes for tomorrow night's first course.

Da Bronx meets the French Quarter: Muffaletta A La Viale Del Arturo:

i1922.jpg

i1923.jpg

Salumi from Mike's Deli in the Bronx: Bresaola (cured thin sliced filet mignon), Alpino Salumeo, Prosciuttini, Prosciutto Affumicato (Speck), shaved aged San Michele provolone, and Central Grocery Olive Salad on a wedge of round loaf from Madonia Bakery.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

An old standby -- at my SO's request. Spaghetti and Meatballs (from scratch) and a lovely bottle of red. Will likely open another now to enjoy the rest of the evening....

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Last night:

Spaghetti squash with lots of garlic and EVOO, chicken, and parm-regg. Tasty but too bland-looking on the plate.

Tonight:

Another pork chop, with a mustard-enriched soubise

A big-ass salad with blue cheese dressing. Mmmmm.

Mallards in Olive Gravy over orzo (trust me, mmmmmm :wub: )

Stewed Red Cabbage

Steamed Aparagus w/lemon butter

French Bread (Leidenheimer's, The Gold Standard)

Pound cake and satsuma sorbet for dessert

All eaten before the Tigers came on TV. I can't believe I am pulling for LSU. :wacko::shock:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

laurel, your multi-course meals always amaze, but that lobster souffle.... I gotta get that Steingarten article and get to work! How was it paired with sashimi?

Anyway, I forgot to post last Monday, then went out of town.

Last Monday (Dec. 29):

Sauteed cod wrapped in pancetta (a Patricia Wells recipe that suspiciously resembles Mamster's Pancetta Embossed Chicken-- who should get credit? Mamster, call your lawyer!);

asparagus braised in butter;

and creamy olive oil and parmesan potato puree (which tasted mostly just like good, creamy mashed potatoes; nothing wrong with that, but I had expected more olive to come through in the taste).

Then I went out of town and only cooked one Spanish tortilla before my return.

Last night (Sunday), I finally got back to my stove, and made:

a chicken with red onions and white wine fricassee from Paula Wolfert's Southwest France book.

I also braised some more asparagus, since the stuff leftover from last Monday was still, unaccountably, good. And I made couscous.

Oh, almost forgot! For Sunday night I also made dacquoise, a classic French dessert comprised of a layer of mocha buttercream sandwiched between two layers of baked almond meringue. Aside from the fact that I had to use the stand mixer three times during the course of this recipe (meaning I had to wash the parts twice), this was a lot of fun to make and tremendous fun to eat. The recipe I used was from Ruth Reichl's second book, at the end of the chapter about her torrid ten-day liason in Paris.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Lessee, New Year's Day, black-eyed peas, cooked with the usual suspects, ham & friends, plus a judicious hit of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, which I was reminded of a few days ago on these very pages by Varmint. Nice white Mahatma rice. Nice cornbread. Salad with Bob's Bleu Cheese dressing.

Friday, burgers ground from an excellent chunk o' chuck, (Vintage Natural Beef; continuing its reign) the unground portion of the chuck destined to make the broth which forms the base for borscht. Best at-home burger ever ever evereverever.

Saturday, late-night croque monsieurs, with the ham which did not find its way into the black-eyed peas, and Tillamook Swiss-type cheese, on French-type bread made by the Consort. Pickles, olives, et al.

Last evening, Sunday, at long last borscht, with lovely veg from the farmer's market and lovely shreddy pieces of the aforementioned chuck, not stinting on the lovely sour cream dollop, neither. Rye bread with salty butter.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Monday dinner

gyoza (Japanese potstickers)

sashimi style squid with an egg yolk, some seasoned soy sauce and nori (laver)

leftover kabocha salad

miso soup made with little meatballs leftover over from the gyoza and Japanese sweet potato (satsumaimo)

dessert:

mascarpone with an espresso syrup (this is a Japanese product and quite good)

the kids had ice cream

i1955.jpg

i1956.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Monday night:

Shrimp risotto with baby spinach & basil, and mesclun salad with a simple vinaigrette.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"