• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Pecan-crusted catfish, marinated in mustard and bourbon reduction

Fennel-tomato compote

Steamed farm market haricots verts

Corn souffle, with duck egg base. (They whip up well!)

Blueberry cobbler. Biscuit style.

Applewood-smoked pork shoulder, roasted broccoli (from eGullet), vegetable pan gravy (Jinmyo) smoked baked potatoes, Ontario strawberries, Quebec yogurt, tavel, port.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Green beans, fresh from the garden.

One raspberry/blueberry pie;; raspberries from my back yard, blueberries from far northern MN.

That was it. We were sated, in that way that one can be in the summer when everything is peak and fresh.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Snowangel, I know what you mean - we had corn last night.  Just corn.  I bought a bunch from a guy a mile or so down the road who grows his own.  It was delicious!  It's difficult to eat too much corn.

By the end of every August, my family is sick of my corn obsession. I want just corn and tomatos every night for dinner. With the occasional BLT. For some reason, my family insists that we also have burgers, chicken, pasta, something else to accompany the corn and tomatos :raz:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Small dinner party:

Salad with thyme-roasted almonds, lemony Walla Walla onions, and feta cheese

Steamed tilapia

Fish head soup (A: hey, the fish doesn't fit in the steamer, do you know how to make fish head soup? B: no, do you? A: I think I'll just put it in a pot with some water)

Roasted summer squash with basil

Mustard greens with garlicy oyster sauce

Homemade plum-ginger ice cream contributed by a guest

Snowangel, I know what you mean - we had corn last night.  Just corn.  I bought a bunch from a guy a mile or so down the road who grows his own.  It was delicious!  It's difficult to eat too much corn.

By the end of every August, my family is sick of my corn obsession. I want just corn and tomatos every night for dinner. With the occasional BLT. For some reason, my family insists that we also have burgers, chicken, pasta, something else to accompany the corn and tomatos :raz:

The local farmstand in the town I used to live in, Concord Massachusetts, has an annual corn and tomato festival.

From http://www.verrillfarm.com/events.htm:

"Vote for your favorite!

Taste 30 or more varieties of tomatoes, both heirloom and popular hybrids - sliced and ready to eat, with a touch of oil and basil. Yum! Red, green, pink, orange, and black tomatoes.

Taste 8 or more varieties of Verrill Farm's best sweet, freshly cooked corn, including bicolor, white, supersweet, and yellow varieties.

$4.00 for tastings of corn and tomatoes - pick your favorites

Corn and Tomato dishes prepared in the farm stand kitchen will be available a la carte. $1 per serving.

Live music by Adam Dewey and Crazy Creek

Hayrides

Free entertainment"

It is SO awesome. Mostly just corn and tomatoes, but also a couple dishes prepared with corn and/or tomatoes. This year it is on August 16 and 17.

Thursday dinner:

flounder marinated in miso then grilled

soy simmered kabocha

cabbage and myouga pickles

hiyayakko (cold tofu) with soy-lime dressing and lots of scallions

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

A toasted everything bagel, half generously buttered, half with cream cheese and sliced olives

Two carrots

Watermelon

Leftover blueberry cobbler for dessert

Soba-maki (buckwheat noodles with slivered scallions rolled in nori) with a tart shoyu sesame dipping sauce.

Spinach and Swiss chard in a green tea broth.

Braised cremini mushrooms, onion, and Swiss chard stems with chile.

Bulgogi (slivers of marinated ribeye on tabeletop grills).

Hiyayakko-tofu (chilled silken tofu) marinated in daikon kimchi (this stuff was fizzy!).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Chilled soba noodles, topped with slivered scallions, shreds of pickled ginger and shiso leaves, cubes of silken tofu, togarashi and a sprinkle of gomasio.

Tomato-Vidalia onion salad: sliced tomatoes and vidalia onions, tossed with a little sea salt, cracked black pepper, OO and sushi vinegar.

Evian

Red bean ice cream mochi sandwiches

Soba

grilled pork chops, marinated in herbs/garlic/evoo

homemade pasta with homemade pesto

zucchini from the garden, diced with just s/p, evoo, lemon juice

1999 chateau haut-chaigneau (nice, soft, yummy)

grilled chicken tenders marinated in fresh lime juice, EVOO, salt/pepper, cajun spices.

chopped potatoes, onions, salt/pepper, EVOO (packed in several layers of foil)

and of course,

fresh white corn on the cob!

:biggrin:

oven-barbecued pork shoulder (eighteen hours at 200 degrees F, but no smoke)

macaroni and cheese

biscuits

salad

dining-hall peach cobbler (purposely made with canned peaches, to take me back to grade-school dining-hall!)

Friday dinner:

satoimo (a type of taro), chicken meatballs, and edamame in a teriyaki sauce

grilled unagi

cabbage and myouga pickles

kazunoko (herring egg sacs) and mekabu (a slimy type of seaweed) with a wasabi and soy sauce

(this was really much better then it sounds! :biggrin: )

Japanese rice

Tonight we're having:

Salmon poached in a tomato-cumin cream sauce

Sweet potato salad

Roasted corn salad

White raspberries and Queen Ann cherries for dessert

To drink a choice of Mint Lemonade or Chenin Blanc.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

A simple Japanese meal last night, after a few weeks of heavy stuff:

Salad of spinach, 'mizuna' greens and tomatoes

Grilled eggplants topped with katsuo-bushi (bonito flakes) and grated ginger

'Chikuwa' fishcake sauteed with negi and mentaiko (spicy cod roe)

Natto with raw quail's egg

Miso soup with green beens, okra and myoga

Rice for my husband (none for me- don't need all those carbs at 10pm!)

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Salad night:

Steamed chinese eggplant with soy, chile flakes, sesame oil, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

Sauteed baby beet greens and rainbow chard, with balsamic and EVOO.

Tiny boiled potatoes and olive oil packed tuna, sprinkled with diced cornichons, minced egg white, chopped olives, with a dressing of EVOO, mashed egg yolk, minced onion, white wine vinegar, S&P.

Sushi rice, roasted red, yellow, and orange peppers, diced grilled teriyaki chicken, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil.

Chopped heirloom tomatoes and kirby cukes with EVOO, S & P, sprinkle of vinegar.

All served at room temperature. The last of the strawberries for dessert.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

A 2 pound local, organic, grass-fed T-Bone Steak with fleur de sel, pan-fried rare, with a green peppercorn, port and frozen butter pan sauce.

No vegetables, starches or other sides.

Allagash Gran Cru.

A single home-made Scharfenberger truffle.

(the above is an example of what I eat when I'm eating alone -- I suppose a perfect exploration of one's tastes.)

fanatic...

Tiny kimchi pancakes topped with pieces of grilled hamachi.

Roasted chicken thighs marinated in a paste of shoyu, chipotle and ancho chiles, with garlic and rosemary, spritzed with lime and lime zest.

Shrimp noodle rolls (thick rolled rice noodles with dried shrimp) with dashi and hoisin.

Deep-fried Chinese long beans with a salty sesame dressing.

Scallops poached in lobster broth with chive oil.

Deep-fried wonton skins with taramasalata dip.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Saturday night:

We spent most of the evening at a matsuri (festival) at Julia's (age 5) kindergarten snacking on onigiri (rice balls), tako-yaki (balls of batter filled with octopus), and yaki-soba (sort of a noodle stir-fry) so we weren't too hungry when we came home.

I made:

tonkotsu ramen (instant) with wakame (type of seaweed), corn and scallions

dessert:

ice cream