• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Gotta figure a way to keep the cheese from oozing out of the calzones. I've tried a fork, pinching & rolling, egg wash glue, etc. In short, just about everything I can think of short of stapling. Any suggestions?

Chad

Chad, it depends upon the moisture and fat of the cheeses you are using. Certainly, using less cheese would help with this.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Friday night dinner was:

Pan Roasted Whitefish Steaks w/black bean and roasted corn salsa

Grean and Yellow beans in a mustard-dill vinagrette

Gooseberry fool

To drink we had a Chenin Blanc.

Saturday lunch was a "kosher" chef's salad which means no cheese included.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Chad, it depends upon the moisture and fat of the cheeses you are using. Certainly, using less cheese would help with this.

Low fat, part skim Mozz last night. It ran less than the usual assortment of cheeses that end up in the calzones simply because they were in the wrong part of the fridge at the wrong time :shock: .

I'm beginning to think it's a structural problem rather than a bonding problem. I keep my calzone dough sticky, so it should seal well. I also use cold sauce/meat fillings (generally leftover from a pasta dish & hauled out of the refrigerator just before filling). I've found that using gellid sauce keeps it from running out onto the edges while I'm trying to seal them. I've also found that the egg wash is much better at imparting a lovely golden crust than it is a bonding the edges together. Dunno why. It should work.

BUT, the minor epiphany of last night was that when I lay the top edge over the bottom I try to make them meet neatly. Which would be fine if the bottom layer didn't slide back a little as you roll the edge up. Next time I'll try underfolding the top edge a little, wrapping the bottom edge up over it to create a lip, then rolling/pinching shut.

Think it'll work?

Chad

PS: Yes, I could use less cheese but I love the stuff, and even the cheese that oozes out onto the stone and bakes is pretty damn tasty. It gives me something to nibble on while plating :biggrin: .

CW

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Chad, formaggi frito is bene, true.

Yes, try folding the bottom edge up over the top. I pleat a bit (pul and press, turn, pull and press, turn).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Last night: Grilled chicken breasts (mine spiced, the kids plain), diced new potatoes sauted in duck fat, broccoli with cheddar (trees with cheese to the kids).

All in all, pretty yummy. This was the first time I've tried sauteing the potatoes in duck fat. It really adds another dimension to the flavor. Nice.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Saturday - Grilled halibut in an asian citrus marinade, couscous, green salad with grape tomatoes and balsamic/dijon dressing. We also drank way too many Yellow Birds! :wacko: (rum, galiano, triple sec, lime juice)

Sunday - grilled pork tenderloin with a chili paste glaze, fresh fruit salsa with mango and bananas, grilled portobello mushrooms and haricorts vert. This was the first time we grilled a tenderloin and it was a bit overdone. We had some issues with the meat thermometer :angry: I even brined the meat before cooking, so my aggravation was increased by the amount of extra work I did here! We'll get it right next time :biggrin:

KathyM

Monday dinner:

cooking from the freezer again (trying to clear it out)

grilled salted mackeral fillets

corn with salt and butter

baby bok choy and shiitake soup

Japanese rice

salt pickled rakkyo

umeboshi

dessert:

donuts, my mil brought these over again

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Bastille Day. Hot. Poulet frites. The poulet butterflied on the grill, basted with butter with a little bundle of thyme. The frites run through the old deep fryer two times. Nice salad of butter lettuce. Sourdough bread. Salty Tillamook butter. Pink French wine, cold. Liberte egalite fraternite.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tueday dinner:

ground pork, chopped enoki, and scallion patties in a teriyaki sauce (kids love this!)

soba noodle salad with nira (garlic chives) and mung bean sprouts with a soy-sesame-vinegar-wasabi dressing

tofu and baby spinach salad with a creamy sesame dressing

Japanese rice

dessert:

ice cream sandwiches

The tomato sandwich thread got me going. Tomato, prosciutto, mozzarella with olive oil and basil on 2 great pieces of semolina bread. A glass of sangiovese on the lighter side. Sorbet with berries and mint for dessert.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Sunday was burgers.

Truffle scented angus beef burger with Neal's Yard Cheddar, applewood smoked bacon and truffled foie gras mousse.

Spinach salad with bacon fat-aged balsamic vinaigrette, bliss potatoes and Humbolt Fog goat's cheese

Blueberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Leftover Pork with Tonkatsu sauce made into a stir fry with onions, mushrooms & garlic served on a bed of . . . ramen noodles!

Steamed green beans

Chocolate peanut butter ice cream

Later, we went to the neighborhood farm market stand and bought 24 ears of freshly picked Silver King corn. We ate some raw on the way home and cooked some immediately when we got home. Ahhhh!

Fettucine with a no-cook sauce of olive oil, garlic, grape tomatoes, quick-sauteed zucchini and onions, capers, smoked mozzarella, pecorino, red pepper flakes, a little pasta water.

Yum.

:smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

A misunderstanding of temperatire led to an argument on this topic Quite a good read, Dave the Cook did a play by play of the cooking method and took pics later in the thread.

The recipe is as follows:

he chicken example is a good one. Try this recipe, we used it at CT's and nobody ever got sick.

Take 1 chicken breast and season it with S&P

Place onto plastic wrap

Pour 6 tb buttermilk onto chix

Add 1 clove of crushed garlic, 1/2 diced shallot, 2 slices of lemon peel, and 2 sprigs of thyme

wrap up 4 to 6 times and tie with kitchen string like a roast

Poach at 135f for 25 to 30 minutes

Let rest for 5 minutes.

Perfectly cooked chicken

The temp should read 185 or below boiling.

You can do this with anything tasty in the pouch. I also made one with reduced champagne, dijon mustard, salt, and white pepper.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

last night - shrimp, endive and artichoke salad with a tarragon vinaigrette over mixed greens

tonight - pork medallions with a dried cherry port sauce, spaetzle, green beans

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Weds dinner:

linguine with lots of garlic, chopped arugula and EVOO

celery, onion and smoked salmon with EVOO and lemon juice

"pizzas" made on egg roll wrappers :blink: with a quick pizza sauce (Best Recipe) black olives and parmasean cheese. The kids decided at 5:30 that they wanted to eat pizza and I had no bread in the house, so I decided to use egg roll wrappers, it was actually quite good and would have been better it I hadn't burned them. :shock:

Leftover from bake shop:

my orange-zest white chocolate scones (2)

mini fruit tarts (pate sucree, pastry cream, kiwi, strawberry, etc), I ate 2

Now feel as if I may vomit. Sugar. :wacko:

Noise is music. All else is food.