• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Thursday night

Chicken in wine- chicken legs upper and lower dipped in milk, floured and fried then cooked in chicken broth, sherry, shallots, garlic and mushrooms.

over buttered spaetzle with young peas and baby carrots.

Previously had made the chicken with some marsala as well as the sherry, and some Misson Figlets. This time came out nice but I rather preferred the flavor before with a little less wine but a mix and the figlets really gave it a greater depth.

Table top grills:

1) Catfish pieces marinated in shoyu, wasabi, citrus.

2) Chicken hearts in Malaysian laksa curry.

3) Wedges of paratha (layered roti).

4) Leek ribbons.

Panchan:

Cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi, oi sabagi kimchi.

Gohan with gomasio, miso shiru with chile oil.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

A big tossed salad

Some tuna salad, with capers, celery and red onion

Dessert: a slab of fresh-baked challah with butter and homemade apricot jam. :wub:

Another night of picnicking on leftovers at my desk at work (my default dinner table on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays). I usually lug a sizeable (sp?) brown bag with me, complete with silverware, foil for warming my hunk of bread in the toaster oven here, and sometimes--when I feel a real need to reproduce the aesthetic pleasures of eating at a *real* table--one of our nice plates from home to spoon my Tupperwared goodies onto. My boyfriend thinks this is hilarious. :unsure:

Mollie Katzen's Dreamy White Beans (with EVOO drizzled on top before reheating)

Green salad with quartered baby beets and lemon-tahini dressing

Molly O'Neill's 6-hour roasted tomatoes

Pain au levain

And when I get home, I'll have some 70% dark chocolate and a glass of milk.

Just realized this was a triple-Molly/ie meal; I'm the third! :rolleyes: Well gooooodness me.

Edited by cheeseandchocolate (log)

She blogs: Orangette

Wednesday night:

Roasted chicken & two lemons;

roasted buttercup squash with a little butter & brown sugar;

and rice pilaf.

Thursday night:

a tomato and veal sauce over egg fettuccine.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Very nice sea scallops, entwined with par-cooked uncured Niman Ranch bacon on thick bamboo skewers that the 12-year-old author of an award-winning Vietnam War research project morbidly calls pongi sticks, grilled over mesquite whilst being painted judiciously with butter.

Succotash mashed potatoes, succomash, as we say -- corn, tomato, little onion, and the potatoes, 9 or 10 or 11 fresh sage leaves cooking along, mashed roughly with some creme fraiche that'd been kicking around and plenty of s & p. Made a nice bed for the scallops, which themselves turned out to be exceptionally good tasting.

Nice little salad of redleaf with grapeseed oil/white wine vinaigrette.

LBB seeded baguette, saltylicious Plugra.

Spanish rose ... not bad.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

My boyfriend's apartment mysteriously sprouted a new oven/stove, so we tried it out for the first time cooking dinner on Wednesday:

Hood Canal Oysters:

pb120004.jpg

Fried Green Tomatoes (and Fried Oysters):

pb120005.jpg

Delicata Squash Stuffed with Arugula and Ricotta Cheese, topped with Oregon Blue Cheese and Toasted Pine Nuts:

pb120006.jpg

I'm taking a break from my shabbat cooking. Tonight's dinner will be:

Mushroom-barley soup

Beef Spare-ribs in some kind of aisan influenced sauce (I cheated - I bought this at the butcher. All I need to do is toss it in the oven)

Roasted Chicken with a marinade of five spices, garlic, ginger, toasted sesame oil and soy sauce

Kasha Varnishkes (kasha, carmelized onions and bow tie pasta) - courtesy my husband

Roasted Cauliflower

Banana sorbet for dessert.

Tomorrow's lunch will be smokey black bean chili. (It's cold here. I need hearty food)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Friday's planned dinner went out the window, when I arrived home at 6:30 and realized it needed to bake for 1 hour!

So I tossed together the Bengali cauliflower and potato curry from Seductions of Rice (I tossed in some zucchini as well)

served it with some Japanese rice

and a cucumber salad on the side

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Friday night:

Oven-braised pork chops with red onions and pears, from Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen, which I just checked out of the library today. I have to say, this one recipe, selected at random, impressed me greatly. I may buy the book based on it alone. And I say this even though I ate the dish without the garnish of reduced basalmic vinegar that is intended to provide an extra bite. I would have included the vinegar, but my reduction went too far. In the end, it resembled (and still resembles) volcanic rock. I may have ruined the pot.

But whatever. The dish was great without it. The chops are browned and then roasted with some onion and pear wedges, along with some wine vinegar and honey, which caramelize into a delicious glaze. Good stuff. Wish I'd had time to brine first.

And I sauteed some mushrooms with garlic, parsley, and a little wine.

And I blanched some broccoli.

Friday night:

Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen, which I just checked out of the library today.  I have to say, this one recipe, selected at random, impressed me greatly.  I may buy the book based on it alone.

I did the same thing with this book. I borrowed it form the library and made the italian-american lasagne. It was a bit heavy on the ricotta for my tastes (or, perhaps I wasn't using good enough quality ricotta), but the italian american meatsauce was very good... I enjoyed that and her writing well enough to go buy the book (I've read the whole book -very enjoyable). I found it at Marshalls, btw, for 12$. :smile:

Last night, due to the grilled cheese thread, I went ahead and made tomato soup from a Cook's Illustrated anathology (I think it was nov/dec 2000). I had no shallots so subbed onions and garlic...I went a bit heavier on them than I should have, so next time, I'll just go out and get the shallots. It was otherwise terrific. Had weak bread for grilled cheese, so it took a back seat to the soup all together.

Tonight I did the usual friday night with company over pizza. I make pizza often and well, so it's the "safe" food to make for guests...but, sadly, a gremlin was in my kitchen. I goobered something on each pizza. They still turned out good, but not as good as I'd have liked for company. :sad:

edit - 10 points if you read and saw how many times I said "tonight" in one friggin paragraph. :wacko:

Edited by megaira (log)

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

Saturday night:

my husband called at the last moment and said his meeting was running late and he wouldn't need dinner after all, aargghh!

SO the kids and I ate what had already been prepared:

Japanese rice mixed with some black rice, so the whole thing turned a gorgeous purple

a casserole of Chinese cabbage and pork belly

dessert:

we drove to the nearest convenience store and bought ice cream

Here's one:

Table top grills:

1) Catfish pieces marinated in shoyu, wasabi, citrus.

2) Chicken hearts in Malaysian laksa curry.

3) Wedges of paratha (layered roti).

4) Leek ribbons.

Panchan:

Cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi, oi sabagi kimchi.

Gohan with gomasio, miso shiru with chile oil.

(for twenty-two)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Saturday night:

Jacques Pepin's Skillet Duck with Parsnips and Shallots;

and his Duck Giblets and Escarole Salad;

and for dessert, a recent Martha Stewart frozen lemon mousse:

fa8dc244.jpg

My plating skills don't compare to Martha's, and the picture doesn't do it justice. But I think you can still tell it was awfully good.

Edited by SethG (log)

and for dessert, a recent Martha Stewart frozen lemon mousse:

fa8dc244.jpg

My plating skills don't compare to Martha's, and the picture doesn't do it justice. But I think you can still tell it was awfully good.

Don't knock your plating skills, Seth. That mousse looks fabulous. Care to deliver a slice to the UWS? :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Massively indulgent dinner at Strip House to celebrate staffer's b'day, viz: gorgously charred strips steaks on the bone with marrow, creamed spinach with truffle oil, and foie gras torchon, split three ways (thank God).

Note to self: Get cholesterol checked.

I bought a massive cauliflower at the greenmarket on friday. I roasted some for dinner on friday night, but was still left with a considerable amount. So, I'm riffing off of an old Mark Bittman recipe in the Times for curried cauliflower. It's simmering as I type and the room is filled with the aroma of toasted cumin seed and fried onions. Yum.

Dave the Cook suggested eggs poached in a spicy sauce.

I ended up with vegetarian chili on a bed of fried corn, topped with two poached eggs and a little sour cream.

From now on, I do whatever Dave tells me to do for dinner. :biggrin:

Good but not great dinner at Craft, celebrating mama's b'day: grilled scallops, lamb sampler for two (braised shank, roast loin and kidneys), roasted hen of the woods, roast cauliflower, and potato gratin for Mom. After which she had an extraordinary panna cotta and I had part of a small cheese plate.

And that, thank God, is the last dinner-in-a-fancy-restaurant (bar Thanksgiving) I need to have for quite a while. My hips are very grateful.

Friday night:

Oven-braised pork chops with red onions and pears, from Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen, which I just checked out of the library today. I have to say, this one recipe, selected at random, impressed me greatly. I may buy the book based on it alone.

Buy the book! The chicken scarpariello and valdostana recipes are awesome. The whole book is awesome.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Friday night: A huge oven-baked "Cuban"

Sat. night: Pizza, Trader Joe's dough; one ham/shiitake/onion/garlic/roasted garlic cream sauce/fontina & swiss; one Muir Glen pizza sauce/red onion/red pepper/mozzarella/Italian sharp cheese/garlic

Sun. night: Mario's :wub: beef braised in an onion ragu, penne

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Sunday Dinner:

-Homemade Pane De Campagne (epis and Boule shaped), with EVOO/S&P and walnut/roasted pepper dipping sauces.

-Beef Cheek Ravioli tossed in butter with pine nuts, shallots, marjoram and marsala.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Monday dinner:

my gas stovetop suddenly died and I was left with just a microwave/oven so

roasted potatoes and onions

a "casserole" of spinach, tomatoes and sole seasoned with lots of garlic, salt and pepper and lemon juice upon serving

Japanese rice