• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

G, that kale looks incredibly delicious. Any particular recipe, or do you just wing it?

2 lbs kale, blanched for 3 minutes

1 hungarian dried, cured sausage. cut it into a dice

1 onion, sliced

3 cloves chpped garlic

1/2 cup veal stock

saute the onions and sausage for about 10 minutes, add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. add the blanched kale and stock and simmer for 1 hour. add s&p.

this was the first time i made kale that tasted good.

Gee, I just made spaghetti with meatballs and Italian sausage and a green salad. Oh, I made some peppermint stick ice cream, too. We're going out for dinner tonight, as it's Benjamin's 5th birthday. He's waiting for his present, G-man. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

oysters - shallot/tabscao mignionette - our first at home - yum.

seared scallops with cranberry buerre rouge, (slightly) crispy polenta triangles made with sundried tomato, garlic & chevre, watercress with orange segments & chive oil.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Gee, I just made spaghetti with meatballs and Italian sausage and a green salad. Oh, I made some peppermint stick ice cream, too. We're going out for dinner tonight, as it's Benjamin's 5th birthday. He's waiting for his present, G-man. :wink:

Where does your 5 year old want to dine for his birthday?

I have one that is close to Christmas as well. It sure is hard to make abig deal out of his birthday around Christmas. We have kind of gotten into the habit of letting him do something fun in January after the Holiday festivities have died down and before Carnival cranks up.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

What I had for dinner last night:

Little bits of dough and broken pieces from mexican wedding cakes, coffee snaps, chocolate no-bakes, peanut butter no-bakes, cream cheese and regular spritz cookies.

Oh, and a tummyache. :sad:

What I had for dinner last night:

Little bits of dough and broken pieces from mexican wedding cakes, coffee snaps, chocolate no-bakes, peanut butter no-bakes, cream cheese and regular spritz cookies.

Oh, and a tummyache. :sad:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry to hear that Dumpling. Good health to your brother.

I've not posted on this board before, but I've enjoyed reading it. I steal great meal ideas from you all when I'm low on inspiration.

Guajalote, what a beautiful crustacean you had there. Looks delicious.

We had sort of a tapas meal tonight. Roasted red pepper hummus with toasted pita and veggies and a glass of pino grigo, followed by green salad (house balsamic vinagrette) and beer battered coconut shrimp. A glass of Vouvray with the shrimp. A few assorted christmas cookies for dessert, especially the roll up cherry almond rejects which just aren't good enough to give away, but still manage to feed the sweet tooth. I try a few new cookies every year and these were definitely not keepers. Oh well, win some lose some.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

And Varmint, my 6 year old giggled like crazy at that yellow mushroom weirdo cartoon guy. Thanks alot for introducing us to that one! :rolleyes:

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Sunday dinner:

roasted chicken with rosemary & garlic;

creamed corn, made from a dried product called "Just Corn;"

and a sautee of butternut squash, onions and bacon.

Monday dinner:

Had a Vegan over tonight. We served a Madhur Jaffrey dinner:

Basmati rice with peas;

stewed tomatoes;

mushrooms and potaotes cooked with garlic and ginger;

and Gujerati-style green beans.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Last evening, cheeseburgers ground from a nice not-lean piece of chuck, Vintage Natural beef, a brand of which we have heretofore only had steaks. Cooking indoors, on the beauteous 12-inch Griswold, outtake fans set on Warp 6.

All the usual-suspect toppings, excepting Kraft Deli Deluxe American Cheese slices, decidedly UNusual, but a Special Request from the out-of-school 12-year-old. Excellent lengthwise dill pickle slices from the Middle Eastern market, a great place to find all kinds of pickles, including Middle Eastern varieties, of course, but also those that fulfill other pickle needs. Such as dill slices for burgers.

Thickish-cut frites run twice through the old deep fryer.

All to accompany Mail Call -- another request of the 12-year-old's -- the special A Very Ermey Christmas. I think R. Lee Ermey would be a good name for a cat.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Monday dinner:

Husband had a BBQ at work so the kids and I had frozen (cooked them first) chicken patties with mayo and lettuce on hamburger buns with a side of tater tots....

Tuesday dinner:

Vietnamese fresh spring rolls with pork, bean sprouts, carrots, cilantro and mint and bibb lettuce leaves dipped in one of two sauces, a bottles sweet chile sauce or a nampla-lime-sugar-ginger-chile sauce

dessert was ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Boneless chicken breasts, breaded in panko and fried. Served with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Brown rice pilaf. Rice, diced onion, minced garlic, lemon zest, chicken broth, S&P, EVOO, and the juice of the zested lemon. Rice pilaf seems to be Ian's favorite food right now.

Brussels sprouts roasted with sliced shallots and BACON.

Cold sliced beets drizzled with dijon/thyme vinaigrette.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Too busy in prep for the Christmas dinner to actually cook real dinner for tonight. I let my sous chef have a go at it.

I was making dumplings. Made my pork and chive ones, and then just the chive cake ones for the veggie people I have to account for.

Got all my ingredients for the Tiramisu Eggnog Trifle except for the espresso powder which I'm hoping to promote off a friend tomorrow. I'm a little behind, was hoping to have it done today.

Tomorrow have to do the trifle, the rest of the dumplings, I have to prepare the soup and prep the melon bowls the soup will go in. I also have to soak the aromatic duck and prep the Flower Drum Crab dish. If I have time I have to also mix together and shape the vegetarian "faux" fish.

Lord, before you come, can you give me some extra hands?

My parents, who are very picky eaters, got into town last night. So I rushed to Whole Foods and in 40 minutes had this on the table: Chicken piccata on lavender risotto, served with a saute of haricots vert, shiitake mushrooms, and red bell pepper. I served an awesome Alsatian with it.

Both my parents ate every single bite on their plate. I was amazed and wanted to do a celebratory dance. Then my father brought me back to reality when he said, "Too lemony" (which it wasn't). Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

finally at home in Scotland with my parents, my brother, his not-girlfriend, my aunt, uncle + cousin. Mum + I made a vat of her legendary lentil soup. Ingredients: 4 large turnips, 4 large leeks, 4 kilos carrots, 3 ham bones, 3 kilos red lentils. Simmered for four hours in a pan made by my grandpa out of the steel they used for the Queen Mary (he worked in the Glasgow shipyards). Went to the local pantomime and when we came back about 9.30pm we carved a chunk off the motherlode and thinned it a bit with boiling water ('no point freezing water, Fiona' as my mother says), sprinkled parsley and served with bread + butter. Sigh. it's good to be home. the rest of the soup was sectioned into tupperware (14 boxes with 8 portions each!) and into the freezer.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Got home late last night. During the morning I'd prepared hot wings for SO & me, barbeque wings for little ol' landlady (does not like heat).So the meat was ready. I made my version of chicken rice-a-roni with real chicken stock, longgrain rice and orzo-shaped Egyptian kamut pastas. It so kicked ass. Then I fell out till a few min-utes ago.

Curlywurlyfi, that dish sounds delicious! Also sounds like the cookpan gramps made was big enough for folks to miss it from the ship :rolleyes:!!

Christmas Eve dinner:

chicken wings (the fat drunstick looking piece) simmered with potatoes in coconut milk and tom yom goong (how ever it is spelled :wink: ) soup paste mix along with fresh lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and red chiles

som tam (green papaya salad)

Jasmine rice

dessert:

Christmas cookies made that afternoon.

I didn't have as many Christmas cookie cuttters as I thought I did and my colors for the frosting didn't turn out quite right, so we had some pink dolphins, blue jack-o-lanterns and yellow mice men.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wednesday dinner:

chicken enchiladas, with a green sauce half tomatillo, half poblano, and including some crushed peanuts. Courtesy Diana Kennnedy.

And Mexican Rice.

And fried plantain slices.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Went to friends where I have been going for several years for the classic Italian seven fish dinner. Baccala, shrimp, smelts, pasta with clams and anchovies; you name it, it be there.

A brief respite. Then back to the Christmas dinner preparations! The ten course Chinese banquet awaits!

I had Christmas dinner at my house today, and we're having Christmas dinner again at my aunt's house tomorrow.

Today we had:

-turkey, gravy, roast vegetables

-Chinese sticky rice

-sausage, sourdough, artichoke stuffing

-creamed spinach

-these little egg omelettes filled with ground meat

-braised shitake mushrooms and veggies

-enoki mushrooms, dried oyster, woodear, and dried beancurd dish

-bok choy

-truffles and chocolates

-Christmas cookies, egg custard tarts, pecan tarts, chocolate biscuits

-coffee sourcream cheesecake