• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

made a sauce of onions, garlic, shiitake, red wine, chicken stock, tomato paste, and bay leaf

cooked 1 lb. of penne

made a bechamel, added nutmeg, 1/2 cup provolone, 1/4 cup paremsan, tempered egg

oh yeah, there was bacon in the 1st sauce.

mixed the pasta w/ the 1st sauce, put in casserole, baked at 350 for 30 minutes

i wish i had another egg, it would have made the top more custardy

Table top grills:

1) Catfish pieces marinated in shoyu, wasabi, citrus.

2) Chicken hearts in Malaysian laksa curry.

3) Wedges of paratha (layered roti).

4) Leek ribbons.

Panchan:

Cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi, oi sabagi kimchi.

Gohan with gomasio, miso shiru with chile oil.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've eaten unusually well the last few days....

Monday-Bowl of rice dressed with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and wasabi topped with ikura (salmon roe) and nori

Tuesda-A dozen and a half oysters on the half shell and a dozen clams baked in tomato sauce (my speciality) with a arugela salad and a baguette

Wednesday-Flank steak salad

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Kris, that is the best gomae recipe. It tastes almost exactly as it does in restaurants. I'd only had it with spinach before so I was suspicious of Jason's suggestion of using it on our leftover greenbeans, but it was FABULOUS. I have to be honest, I used my coffee/spice grinder to do the sesame seeds & sugar then mixed in the liquids in my morter & pestle. But my m&p is a lot smaller than the suribachi you recommend in your lesson. I think a mini-food processor would also work and then everything could be mixed in one container.

Really, I cannot emphasize enough how much I loved this. I've tried making gomae before, usually with tahini and it just didn't work. This is it. So happy. :biggrin:

Methi chicken (from our Monica Bhide's The Spice is Right)

Twice fried pakorhas (zucchini, onion, potato)

Jim Dixon's roasted cauliflower

Rice

I made the roasted cauliflower recipe last night, as well.

What a culinary revelation! It was astoundingly good and I almost ate the entire head in one sitting, it was so tasty. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy...

I was amazed at how it shrinks so much during cooking, when compared to a head that's steamed. I can't wait until Thanksgiving so I can make it for my family.

Also had some jambalaya (from a mix...Zatarain's, I think) with a spicy pork sausage mixed in.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I had bought a chunk of "wild boar" at the Greenmarket from a nice Croatian lady who couldn't for the life of her tell me what cut it was, nor could I figure it out. Brought it home, scored the rind, and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a couple of days to let the skin get as dry as possible. Cut a deep pocket in the meat, and stuffed it with mostly sauteed leeks, mixed with a little browned sausage and a handful of (low-carb -- so sue me) croutons, bound with an egg. Roasted that sucker and damned if it's not the best roast pork I've had in ages, with lovely crisp crackling and juicy meat. Et with some pureed brussels sprouts, it was just swell.

last night I was photographing some recipes for a food + drink mailer we're sending to advertisers.

coconut, coriander, mint + green chili chutney with poppadums for scooping

mushroom + chestnut stew with a little carrot, celery, parsnip, thyme, red wine, onion and garlic, and about a teaspoon of Marmite for mmmm

French bread 'pizza' made with jarred salsa (but I got my way with the fresh mushrooms, spinach + mozzarella)

the rejects from the batch of gingerbread Christmas cookies courtesy of Sinclair's suggestion of the Martha Stewart website

my personal favourite were the 'blinis' made with the traditional smoked salmon/blob of creme fraiche/sprig of dill topping, but the blini bit was... [proprietary brand name here] Smiley Faces - discs of reconstituted potato in the shape of a face, heat for 15 minutes from frozen, serve. Have photo, but technical ineptitude prevents posting.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Last evening, gulyas. Pretty close to the equal-weights-onion & meat instruction of some Austrians & Hungarians, big hit of Hungarian sweet paprika, tiny hit of hot Spanish smoked paprika. Few cloves of garlic. No marjoram, but a nice bundle of thyme from the garden simmered along, and a bay leaf, whose flavor seems key to this dish. Glugged in a little wine, too; non-trad. Little parsley-flecked potato dumplings dropped in & cooked just before service. Sour cream on the table, along with LBB seeded baguette & saltylicious Plugra. Peachy Canyon Zinfandel, inexpensive and good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

[Jim Dixon's roasted cauliflower

What a culinary revelation! It was astoundingly good and I almost ate the entire head in one sitting, it was so tasty. Lordy, Lordy, Lordy...

I was amazed at how it shrinks so much during cooking, when compared to a head that's steamed. I can't wait until Thanksgiving so I can make it for my family.

HELP! I saw Jim Dixon's cauliflower recipe but now can't find it? Around what page?

Jinmyo, care to share the Polish White Borsht recipe? It sounds great!

Has anyone done anything cool with elephant garlic?

Last night on a whim I simmered two huge cloves in chicken stock and smoky Spanish paprika, then when cool enough sliced onto a plate (flower design?) and topped with a tiny slices of radicchio,grated carrot, OO, and balsamic. Also yummy on a piece of buttered bread or toast!

JANE

Last night I made Nigella's "Mellow Lamb Steaks" from a recent New York Times recipe. The idea seemed to be to cook them with garlic and orange in such a way that they didn't taste too garlicky or orangey. This worked out, and they were delicious. Lamb fat is always delicious, really. We had roasted mini-fennel with it. I don't know if it was essential for the fennel to be minature to work as well as it did. When I woke up this morning I had been dreaming that I made the recipe again in some sort of competition and it was delicious, but I was refusing to tell anyone what the ingredients were, as I knew I shouldn't have stolen Nigella's recipe.

Catherine MacColl

What a culinary revelation!  It was astoundingly good and I almost ate the entire head in one sitting, it was so tasty.  Lordy, Lordy, Lordy... 

I was amazed at how it shrinks so much during cooking, when compared to a head that's steamed.  I can't wait until Thanksgiving so I can make it for my family.

HELP! I saw Jim Dixon's cauliflower recipe but now can't find it? Around what page?

Roasted Cauliflower (aka Jim Dixon's Roasted Cauliflower, no wait, that's Amanda Hesser's recipe! Or is it?)

A little late but it was pretty good:

This past weekend I went fishing and caught several smaller fish (perch and whiting …I think) and a larger 2 lb fish (black drum). I was not sure how to best utilize these so soup was the first thing that came to mind. I figured the smaller ones and the bones from the large fish will make a nice stock. Over the weekend I did just that, I made a stock of the smaller fish and the bones of the filleted large one. I wanted a nice Mediterranean flavor so in the fish stock I put garlic, onions, fennel seeds, peel of one lemon, parsley stems and bay leaves. I simmered everything for about 45 minutes, then strained it through a fine sieve and refrigerated the stock. I made the soup/stew on Monday. The stock in the fridge was VERY gelled, I guess fish have much more gelatin than any other critter. In the soup I put more chopped onions and garlic, a can of chopped tomatoes, some uncooked rice, the fish fillets cut into pieces, some shrimp from the freezer and fresh chopped parsley. It was very tasty.

Last night:

- Spicy chicken and sausage Jambalaya.

- Dessert: Banana Foster with Vanilla ice cream

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Nigella's "Mellow Lamb Steaks" from a recent New York Times recipe.

"Recent" -- as in published the day you made the dish? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Having gone back and considered this - yes, published the day I made the dish. Which seems quite fortunate, since I'm in Scotland and Nigella is in New York. Or at least the New York Times is in New York. I nearly calculated that it was published later than I cooked it - but this was all a result of a miscalculation on my part. Good spot!

Catherine

What a culinary revelation!  It was astoundingly good and I almost ate the entire head in one sitting, it was so tasty.  Lordy, Lordy, Lordy... 

I was amazed at how it shrinks so much during cooking, when compared to a head that's steamed.  I can't wait until Thanksgiving so I can make it for my family.

Roasted Cauliflower (aka Jim Dixon's Roasted Cauliflower, no wait, that's Amanda Hesser's recipe! Or is it?)

Thanks for posting the link, Rachel.

I have been trying to figure out why the roasted cauliflower was so gosh darn good, especially when compared to steamed cauliflower. It didn't have a completely different flavor. It still had that cauliflower taste but perhaps it was more subdued, perhaps even subtle. That cauliflower flavor that is so THERE when it's steamed was toned down to just a whisper when roasted.

There is "carmelization" on the on the edges of the roasted sliced cauliflower and it's tasty but not pervasive since not all of the roasted pieces browned in the same manner. But it did have a slightly sweeter taste and it was just so addictive that I kept eating piece after piece to try and figure out what it was I was tasting. This is quite the puzzle.

Of course, anything roasted in a bit of olive oil probably tastes as good.

Thank you, Jim Dixon, et al.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thursday dinner with 2 extra kids so I went the nabe route:

chicken stock (homemade! :biggrin: ) with chicken meatballs and

Chinese cabbage

Japanese leeks

shiitake

carrots

baby bok choy