• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

and sometimes  :angry:  canned asparagus as a kid.

That stuff is a conspiracy. Is it really asparagus?

Well, the white asparagus is pulled from the sinus passages of the members of the Privy Council of Europa and Iao at the Jovian solstice. But only if it's marked "Tradizionalle". Otherwise, there's no telling.

Oh. I thought it was from the Illuminati.

I think the Muir Glen tomatoes are richer, sweeter and redder than most canned tomatoes. I buy them in large quantities when they go on sale at my co-op. The fire roasted ones are good but they won't change your world or anything. Compared to standard domestic brands though Muir Glen is awesome. I haven't tried the Italian brands though so can't compare to them.

Tuesday night:

Rabbit. Loin boned out, rolled, tied, and seared quickly, hind legs partially boned and stuffed with kalamata olives and microplaned lemon zest, then wrapped in bacon and roasted at 350 degrees or so. (The loins were dull, the legs were okay. I think I just find rabbit boring.)

Served this over cremini mushrooms, with more kalamata olives, parsley, and a jus made from reduced rabbit stock.

Squash sauteed with garlic and fatalii chiles.

Wednesday night (cooked for lonely old me after a day of lay-offs and other horrors at my office):

NY Strip steak, seared quickly and eaten bloody.

Squash in the same manner as above -- coming up with something new was too daunting.

A bottle of wine or three.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

ok I'll have a go at this, n00b though I may be...

Wed:

Butternut squash, roasted and halved. Seeded cavity spread with roasted garlic, then filled with caramelized onion, sage, thyme, and rosemary. topped with sauteed apples and finished with Gewurztraminer Calvados reduction. Cheap for the most part, and vegetarian too.

New York steaks cooked stovetop, little red-wine pan sauce. As the hour latened the potatoes were changed from stovetop Madeleine Kamman-style rissole to deep-fried cubes, which worked out very nicely. Beet greens braised with onion and butter and creme fraiche, s & p, little nutmeg in there. Beet greens, perhaps the best green, although I'd hate to have to choose.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Cold, wet Wednesday night in Minnesota:

Fish Stew made with grouper, sea bass, salmon and using Muir Glen tomatoes. They are pretty good tomatoes! I used some nice white wine, fish stock from the fish monger, onions, garlic and some saffron. Yum!

Toasty warm sourdough French bread and some nice lemon wedges

"Left over" wine from making stew. Yeah, right! I think part of the reason I cook with wine is so that we can drink the rest of the bottle! We call it "taking one for the team"!

way, way too stuffed for dessert.

Tofu satays with most of the rest of the peanut sauce from last week's bout

Miso soup with tat soi and shiitakes

Pan-fried vegetable dumplings

Milk chocolate for dessert.

Thursday

Grilled Shrimp that was marinated in sesame and ginger, plated atop a sweet corn patty that was laced with West Indian Hot Sauce. All surrounded by a drizzle of honey mustard and lime juice sauce.

"Bahama Mama Pork Chops"- Combination of Tonkatsu prepared pork chops, covered and cooked with a bahamian pineapple chili sauce based sauce. Served over long grain and wild rice accompanied by sugar snap peas.

Low on food, so only frozen yogurt for dessert. Gotta go to the store! Need Food!

Thursday:

Red Snapper fillets cooked "en Papillote" with shallots and tomato.

Asparagus with lemon butter sauce.

Brown/wild rice.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

ok I'll have a go at this, n00b though I may be...

Wed:

Butternut squash, roasted and halved. Seeded cavity spread with roasted garlic, then filled with caramelized onion, sage, thyme, and rosemary. topped with sauteed apples and finished with Gewurztraminer Calvados reduction.  Cheap for the most part, and vegetarian too.

Nice!

Welcome to the dinner thread, Pleiades.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The weather is finally cooling off for us in the desert areas of S. CA! Last nite we had:

Chili

Cornbread muffins

Tossed green salad with jicama and spiced pinenuts

Lemon Chiffon Pie with Cranberry Glaze

Tonite we are having:

Baked Salmon with Cranberry-Thyme Crust

Shredded, sauteed brussels sprouts with maple pecans

Lemon Orzo Pilaf

Cha gio(vietnamese spring rolls).

Grilled Chicken Wings with JJ's Rub

Broccoli with garlic

Lo Bot Go(Fried Turnip cake) with oyster sauce

and for a couple of folks that didn't want chicken wings- Nathan's Hot Dogs on Foccacia slices

Niece and nephew came in in the Halloween costumes in the middle of my cooking and I was slightly distracted. Well they are the most gorgeous children on the planet- Thomas the Tank Engine and a Barbie Princess. My little niece Ana, she's three, is very blunt, if she got a piece of candy she didn't like, she was telling people, "No, I don't want that" and giving it back to people. Her mother was trying to explain to her the greater subtleties of manners, that if she doesn't like it she should just take it anyway and not be rude. But to a three year old that seems not logical; if she doesn't want it, why should she take it?

Did the Halloween thing and had people talking local politics to me. Ugh! :hmmm:

Friday night:

roasted chicken, stuffed under the skin with shallots, parsley, and rosemary; deglazed the skillet afterward with a little wine & stock for a good gravy that was totally unneeded;

red onion and fennel wedges roasted along with the chicken in the same skillet;

and a butternut squash puree.

King salmon, roasted; sauce = butter, shallots, morels, tomatoes (fresh + sun-dried), rosemary, cognac (flamed), cream

Brussels sprouts, chestnuts, and bacon, with a little honey drizzled on top

Redskin potato

1999 The Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir

Mini-Mounds bars, formerly residing in the Halloween bowl by the front door

Decaf

A perfect fall meal

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Fajitas!

King mackerel, marinated in grapefruit, lime, cilantro and jalapeno. Cubed and quick seared.

Chicken marinated in tequila, lime, poblano, salt.

Flank steak rubbed with chipotle, cilantro, lime, salt. Seared and served bloody rare.

Grilled onions, peppers

Homemade guacamole

Homemade roasted tomato, roasted tomatillo, and roasted garlic salsa.

For dessert, I took a Whole Foods chocolate angel food cake, cut it into 12 pieces, reassembled it, "frosted" it with chocolate whipped cream, and topped with tons of strawberries.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sat. night:

Beef Bourguignon;

mashed potatoes;

Swiss chard sauteed with garlic;

and Creme Brulee!

There's still about half the beef left over, and it will taste even better tomorrow.

Friday night

Mushroom barley soup

Brisket, parnips, and turnip braised with aisan flavors (soy sauce, ginger and star anise)

Kasha

Apples

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Having friends over so we're having Mushroom and Fontina Crostini, grilled ribeyes with The Best Red Wine Steak Sauce, Ragout of pearl onions, peas and artichokes, Molasses Horseradish Sweet Potato Spears. Peachy Canyon (Paso Robles) Zin to drink. An apricot souffle with some Nightingale for dessert.

Having friends over so we're having Mushroom and Fontina Crostini, grilled ribeyes with The Best Red Wine Steak Sauce, Ragout of pearl onions, peas and artichokes, Molasses Horseradish Sweet Potato Spears. Peachy Canyon (Paso Robles) Zin to drink. An apricot souffle with some Nightingale for dessert.

i773.jpg

Arroz Con Pollo with chorizo seasoned with saffron and smoked spanish paprika, served with toaster oven-broiled brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nice, Jason.

Seared sea scallops with a sauce made from pureed chicken livers, shallots, stock, and citrus, topped with deep-fried leek strands.

Celery root soup (pureed) with sauteed porcini and a red chile oil.

Grilled sardines filled with a paste of white miso and dashi with scallions and ginger.

Steamed green-lipped mussels, presented in their shells atop a coconut milk curry sauce.

Deep-fried yuba (soy milk skin) packages filled with rice, shitake duxelle, and pine nuts.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

fajitas - marinated (olive oil, garlic, ground chile pepper, salt, cumin, lime, fresh cilantro) bison sirloin (and top round, just to see) and chicken thrown on the grill along with green peppers and onions...the standard chedder and sour cream condiments with steamed tortillas. Simple. Delicious.

And some very tasty mexican dark (and rather strong *muffles burp*) beer the neighbor brought us. :blink:

'bout to devour a fudgy chocoholic's dream brownie for dessert.

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."