• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Wednesday night:

I've been reading "Between Bites," and last night I used James Villas' recipe to make some authentic buttermilk-soaked, southern-fried chicken. I'd never made fried chicken at home before (except for a Penelope Casas chicken coated in Bechamel and breadcrumbs, then fried), and man was it tasty.

And there was broccoli.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Leek and Potato soup

Roast Chicken with Sherry

Green Peas with Butter and White Truffle Oil

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Loin LAMB chops, coated with :shock: Marie's creamy garlic dressing plus chopped fresh rosemary, cooked in cast-iron grill pan :wub:

Wild rice + couscous (only had 1 portion of each in closet)

Ratatouille made Monday in the slow cooker

The everpresent salad, with oo and basil-infused vinegar

Seghesio Zinfandel 2000 (omg, 14.9%!!!!!!!! :wacko: )

Catfish fillets pan fried in Samen (ghee/clarified butter) topped with toasted walnuts that have been lightly fried after the fish was done, lime juice, cilantro and Tahine sauce (tahine, cumin, water, garlic, and lemon juice). Sereved with plain rice

Dessert: homemade vanilla ice cream with bits of caramalized nectarines in it.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thursday dinner:

tofu and ground chicken patties with teriyaki sauce (heavy on the ginger)

grilled kabocha and eryngii mushrooms drizzled with ponzu

cucumber pickles

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thursday dinner:

Leftover fried chicken. Still pretty good the next day.

And a tomato tart.

Edit: could be one of my last tomato tarts of the season. Makes me sad.

Edited by SethG (log)

Tomato and Mozzerella Tart with Basil-Garlic crust.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Friday night dinner:

chicken on bbq rotiserie - with rosemary tucked under the skin;

corn on the cob;

green beans with lemon and garlic dressing;

tomato salad with vinagrette, oregano and feta;

Sierra Nevada pale ale.

Wow! was this ever good

Tonight was:

Chicken Marsala with Mushrooms

Sauteed Green Beans with Garlic and Shaved Romano Cheese

Tomato Salad with Cucumbers, Garlic, Oregano and EVOO

Last night:

Grilled Sirloin Steak - (marinated in Olive Oil and Rosemary)

White Kidney Bean, Chorizo and Tomato Ragout with Veal Reduction Sauce

Red Leaf Lettuce, Tomatos, Sliced Onions with EVOO and Red Wine Vinegar

This sounds so familiar, I'm sure Xanthippe makes it--or something that's really close to it. Is it from an Italian cookbook on vegetables??

It sounds like Jack Bishop's recipe from Italian Vegetarian Cooking, I make this same recipe A LOT! :biggrin:

Last night's dinner I was proud of.

Long-braised, rolled Gloucester Old Spot pig cheek, brushed with dijon, breadcrumbs, sauteed, and served with sauce Gribiche.

Breast of organic squab and a slice of foie gras, wrapped in a cabbage leaf and steamed, served with roast figs, and a squab sauce, mounted with foie gras butter.

Individual Pear tarte-tatins.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

This sounds so familiar, I'm sure Xanthippe makes it--or something that's really close to it. Is it from an Italian cookbook on vegetables??

It sounds like Jack Bishop's recipe from Italian Vegetarian Cooking, I make this same recipe A LOT! :biggrin:

Recipe, please?

Warning: if reprinting copyrighted material blah, blah, blah...

Yesterday, I defrosted something from the deep freeze that I thought was moussaka. It was double wrapped (individual portions wrapped in aluminum foil and then all in a plastic bag), so was not freezer burned or anything. Turned out to be an eggplant rolatini casserole (like lasagna, but with eggplant cutlets instead of noodles). Very good, but we didn't realize what it was until Jason took the first bite.

Moral: Label those packages!

Recipe, please?

Warning: if reprinting copyrighted material blah, blah, blah...

I can summarize it for you!

You make a basic tart dough (flour, salt, butter, ice water) and add minced garlic and shredded basil, do it by hand but the recipe is actually made in a food processor, processing the basil and garlic before adding the flour.

Let it chill for at least an hour, then roll out and place into a tart pan.

place thinly sliced mozarella into the tart and then cover with thinly sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with EVOO.

bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.

This is incredibly easy and I make it a lot for potlucks.

Sat. dinner:

curry rice

(the kids had been begging for it and with the combination of typhoons and earthquakes in the same day I didn't feel like dragging the 3 kids to the store for anything else)

Last night: Soup.

Big bag o' chicken bones and vegetable tailings from the freezer into a pressure cooker. Wait fifteen minutes...stock! Strain, add kohlrabi, an onion, a big heirloom tomato, and some Swiss chard, back in the pressure cooker. Wait another fifteen minutes...soup. Make dumplings, done.

Soup is all about stock.

Bruce

Boiled some store bought fresh (oxymoron? but you know what I mean, it wasn't dried) angelhair. Cut a tuna steak into chunks, sauteed it with some capers, Greek olive tapenade, garlic and olive oil. At first I just put that on top of the pasta, but the pasta came out kind of bland, so for my second helping I reheated it all together on the stove with the pasta and a little more tapenade. In the end it came out a little too oily because I had coated the cooked pasta in oil and also cooked the topping in oil. Oh, and I topped it with breadcrumbs. Alas, I forgot I could have taken a picture with my fairly new webcam, but now it is all gone. :biggrin:

I know it would have been better with whole olives but I'm trying to use up this tapenade (from Sid Wainer). The recipe is derived from a recipe in Pasta Fresca, but I don't have the cookbook, my mom does, so I had to improvise. It came out pretty well.

I'm home alone this weekend so I didn't have to subject the fiance to my creation. Already I'm thinking of ways it could have been better. But hey my mouth is watering just remembering it, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Thanks, Kristin. I may get to give that tart a try before the season is over.

Saturday night we had some friends over.

We had

tomato salad (what else?);

Alsatian onion and bacon tart (from the October Bon Appetit);

sauteed duck breast, over mixed greens;

and for dessert, sour cream coffee cake with pears and pecans (also from the October Bon Appetit), and a few different Ben & Jerry's flavors.

Everything was good, but the onion and bacon tart was a real highlight. It was much tastier than I anticipated-- but if you're thinking about making it, out there, whoever you are, you might want to make a little more dough than the recipe calls for. I used one 12 x 18 cookie sheet instead of two 10 x 16 sheets, anticipating that I'd have a good bit of dough left over. Not so. I could barely stretch the dough to cover the cookie sheet. I cut back proportionately on the other ingredients, but not the dough. And it came out thin and fully cooked and everything.

But I'm no baker. Better rollers than I might have no trouble filling two 10 x 16 sheets with the amount of dough called for in the recipe.

Saturday

salad: shaved fennel, cuc crescents, red bell pepper, arugula, baby romaine, baby spinach, w/sesame vinaigrette

seared U-10 scallops w/ginger-anise sauce

roasted potatoes

roasted asparagus w/white truffle oil

goat cheese ice cream (from last weekend) w/chocolate sauce (Scharffen Berger)

1988 Hospices de Nuits (tired but still tasty)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Kristin - thanks for providing the info on the tart.

Seth - get some tomatoes and basil before the season ends. The tart is delicious. I have friends that beg me to make it.

Friday night dinner

Edamame

Veal Schnitzel

Slow roasted cherry tomatoes with EVOO and garlic

New potatoes with EVOO and sea salt

Australian Chard. to drink

Sat (Shabbos) lunch

Chopped Liver

London Broil

Noodles in with a Rice Vinegar and Soy Sauce dressing

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs