• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Rachel--

i too took zilla369's Knife Skills course at the eGCI (thanks, zilla!), and i have to say your diced veg came out looking a lot better than mine. :smile:

you and your hubby have great food-styling skills (the photos look amazing!). and you guys are really good at *evolving* a recipe, see:

Larb balls two ways

and

watermelon ice cream with 'seeds'

thanks for sharing your recipes/experiences; hope there's more to come...

:smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Sat dinner:

A dish I like to refer to as a Japanese style meatloaf, ground chicken with hijiki (type of seaweed), Japanese leeks, lots of ginger juice and some soy and sake, baked in a 9 inch square pan and cut into cubes. Incredibly easy and the kids devoured it.

Gobo (burdock root) and carrot kinpira

hiya-yakko with a kojuchang sauce and slivered shishito (Japanese pepper)

Japanese rice

Dessert:

black grape pudding from Marcella Hazan

very, very good stuff!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Trip to the Asian market today.

Chive dumplings, steamed then lightly pan-fried, with a soy/sugar/chili paste/rice vinegar dipping sauce.

Gkai Pad Gkaprow I have tried many recipes for this, and this one by Kasma Loha-unchit is my favorite.

Something called "bok choy stems" at the market. They looked like bok choy stretched very thin. Steamed whole and served with a sesame/chili sauce.

Jasmine rice.

Coconut buns from the Chinese bakery. :smile: These were excellent. Must learn how to make them.

Complete cost of tonight's dinner - $10.00 :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Incredibly fresh trout from the Union Square Greenmarket, coated in flour+Old Bay, sauteed in olive oil, finished in the oven.

Risotto with 3 kinds of mushrooms, finished with parmesan/Romano and parsley/tarragon

Baby Bok Choy sauteed in the pan from the fish (already removed), with homemade herb butter and lemon juice

Salad of mixed leaves with itty bitty plum tomatoes, English cuke, and fresh herbs (basil and oregano), red wine vinaigrette.

Paumonok Barrel Fermented Chardonnay.

i00011.jpg

Sliced Steak, marinated in Goya bitter orange, in a pan-juice sauce with caramelized onions, butter, salt and pepper. Saffron rice pilaf, micro-peas and mixed grape tomato salad.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pan-fried sea bass with grapefruit-ginger marmelade. (Yes, I know they're overfished, but it was the last piece left over from someone else's special order and it called out to me by name as I walked past the seafood counter.)

Sautéed spinach with garlic.

Mixed Basmati rice and fresh corn kernels, Plugra butter.

1999 Trinity Hill (New Zealand) Chardonnay.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

herb and chevre stufffed zucchini blossoms

seared scallops

zucchini fans

water cress and roasted pepper salad

hirsch veltliner

blueberries

a sliced peach

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Sunday dinner:

one of those really lazy days where I didn't want to do anything, let alone think about cooking, had a 2:00pm lunch and didn't need too much for dinner

hamburger patty (made by my MIL with beef/pork mix, onions, panko, egg, etc) grilled and then served on a bed of greens wafu (Japanese) style with a mound of grated daikon and a ponzu sauce and some red onion for color

Japanese rice

dessert:

coconut-macademia nut tart from Costco

Dinner: hamburgers on the grill with ground beef from the farmers' market. Burgers were mixed with Jalapenos and cheddar cheese. Very good.

Supper: spaghetti with a homemade sauce that simmered all day. Homemade italian sausage links and meatballs stewed all day. Excellent.

Yoohoo!  Priscilla!  I want to read about what you had for dinner on Sunday the 31st. :smile:

Hmmm, lessee ... what's today? Today was the 7th, steak frites & salade mixte, bread & saltylicious Tillamook butter. Last-minute very welcome guest.

Yesterday, went to a 2-year-old's b.d. party, didn't cook dinner at home.

Day before, takes us back to, lessee, the 5th -- I, like Ado Annie, ferget.

A week ago tomorrow, the 31st ... such a nice meal. The 11-year 11-month-old did a typically great job wrapping ribbons of Serrano ham around dead ripe canteloupe, and Morrocan oil-cured olives, and Rouge et Noir NoCal "Brie" and LBB baguette slices, toasted, and dry French rose got things off to a nice start. The first Sungolds from the tardy tomatoes, late but good.

Nice piece of troll-caught Alaska King salmon, so it said on the sign at Bristol Farms fish dept., saw the guy breaking the whole fish down there on his white plastic board, he was nice enough to give me the rectangular center cut I requested, AND, never before seen by me, actually pulled out pinbones. Course I hadda go over it with my dedicated needle-noses at home but still. Appreciate the gesture.

The Consort did his usual bang-up job of mesquite roastagrillage. Nice red potatoes cut in wedges roasted with olive oil sea salt black pepper rosemary. PortObellO mushrooms cooked en casserole with vine leaves as Elizabeth David says gives almost a wild-mushroom effect and she is, as per her usual, correct. Butter lettuce salad with walnuts goat cheese walnut-oil vinaigrette. LBB baguette. Moremoremore dry rose.

White nectarine sorbet from the neighbor's nectarines, Alain Ducasse's sour cream sorbet. Tea. (Pine nut cookies, forgotten by me, languishing in the Thomas the Tank Engine cookie tin in the cupboard, shoulda been there.)

But the best part by far was the company! A little inter-regional visiting; the lovely and talented eGullet's Maggiethecat from The Heartland and her lovely and talented daughter were our guests. And gracious guests they were, too.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

this weekend I spent with friends upstate in Suffern, NY.

Saturday dinner:

grilled chicken and mahi-mahi -- these were first marinated in store-bought mojito, although I'm sure homemade/from scratch mojito works just as well if not better. (Recipes, anyone?)

steamed vegetables

Cuban black beans and brown rice. The black beans had been cooked with onions, salt, pepper, bay leaves, garlic and mojito.

brie, some cave cheddar and a couple of unidentified blue cheeses from curdnerd's Bobolink farm, along with sesame crisps. (Brie won out, followed by the cheddar. I'm soooooo not a fan of blue cheeses, and these were a bit strong for me. Oh well. More for Jinmyo and El Gordo, I guess. :wink: )

Poland Spring and Crystal-Light lemonade.

EXTREMELY chocolatey chocolate cake with whipped cream (from a can) and almonds. Port wine. (I had a relatively small amount of port.)

--------

Sunday breakfast:

fresh squeezed orange juice -- WOW

stuffed omelettes -- with onions, tomatoes, olives and leftover grilled chicken, bound together in a spicy tomato and mushroom sauce;

roasted herbed potatoes (red skinned and white potatoes, tossed with EVOO, kosher salt and roasted at 350 F for 40 min., tossed with chopped parsley and a balsamic viniagrette)

bananas and strawberries

more cheese from Bobolink

-----

Sunday dinner (in NYC):

takeout from Grand Sichuan East -- see the thread on Stir-Fried Chicken Skin for more details.

Cheers,

Soba

But the best part by far was the company!  A little inter-regional visiting; the lovely and talented eGullet's Maggiethecat from The Heartland and her lovely and talented daughter were our guests.  And gracious guests they were, too.

For sure. The Style Czarina, the Irrepressible one, and their Crown Prince made us entirely at home, and I think none of us spared a breath from conversation except to eat.

And, er, drink.

The whole meal was outstanding, the salmon the best I've had for, literally, years. And thank you, Ma'am, for posting the name of that outstanding Brie. I will look for it. (Gee, can't imagine how I came to forget such details! :rolleyes: ) Thanks also for refreshing my memory about Mrs. David's Mushrooms.

An enchanted candlelit evening under a starry Southern California sky. It really doesn't get too much better than this.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yesterday I woke up craving chili.

So, discarding all notions of "seasonality," I made chili. It was sweaty work, but worth it.

With about 5 lbs of ground beef, a grip of onions and peppers, etc. You know the drill.

My friend Chris came over and we ate the chili with homemade rosemary/roasted garlic/kalamata olive foccacia, sour cream quenneles (couldn't help it :rolleyes: ) and lime wedges, while we put away a twelver of Pilsner-Urquell and watched the Bears shame the city.

Then, after he left, I had another bowl . . . without the quenneles.

Noise is music. All else is food.

pulled out all the cookbooks last night! :biggrin:

banh cuon (steamed rice sheets with pork and mushrooms) served with fried scallions with oil and nuoc cham

from Essentials of Asian Cuisine by Corinne Trang

Spicy black bean mussels with rice stick noodles

from Blue Ginger by Ming Tsai

Carrot and daikon pickled salad (dau chua)

from Hot Sour Sweet Salty by Alford and Duguid

Jasmine rice

dessert:

leftover Costco coconut-macademia nut tart

Jhlurie was over, so we had burger night.

i13.jpg

Beef bacon cheeseburger, with Bobolink Dairy Cheddar

i14.jpg

Spicy Thai Pork Burger #1, with Bumbu Satay (Peanut) Sauce

i15.jpg

Spicy Thai Pork Burger #2, with Coriander Chutney

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Back in Oklahoma to visit Mom. Treated my grandmother to a night away from her retirement community's dismal dining room (mmmm, jello salad!) and had her over for a simple, easy supper:

Spaghetti with juicy smashed roasted tomatoes (dusted with ground coriander and sea salt before roasting), capers, basil from the garden, freshly grated Parmegiano Reggiano.

Warm Italian prune-plum clafouti, sprinkled with powdered sugar. :wub:

She blogs: Orangette

Moremoremore dry rose.

yes but which? :slurp:

Oh my nothing to write home about, cheap & cheerful La Vielle Ferme, you know, one of those ones that comes in all THREE colors!!! For which I am grateful, don't get me wrong, at least about the pink. Don't buy the other two colors, of this particular wine. But when I see it in August, in pink, for $4.99, I majorly BUY IT!!! And then ply all who darken my door.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Bogarted Coq au Vin.

Chicken (dark meat parts), browned, then garlic, deglazed with brandy, then stock and red wine, and a sachet (bay leaf/thyme/parsley stems). Then chicken back into the pan. I finished it on the stove top, to avoid turning the entire apartment into an oven.

Separate pan for the bacon, peeled pearl onions, and mushroom wedges.

Finished sauce with beurre manie, boiled a minute, strained.

Roasted red potato wedges.

Pilsner-Urquell.

It were good.

Noise is music. All else is food.

i15.jpg

Spicy Thai Pork Burger #2, with Coriander Chutney

This was my favorite, the chutney really went well with the Thai spices in the pork burger -- I'm glad we have some of those patties tucked away in our freezer. This is one of the rare occasions when Jason (and Jon) made the dinner and I stayed out of the kitchen. They did a good job! I should have them do it more often -- I didn't even mind cleaning up the kitchen as much as I usually do. :raz:

Ate with alanz and his family-grilled sausage and peppers and some nice fresh melon.

But made some dinner for my coterie before I hightailed to alanz's and to my practice-nice practice, learned more weapon movements. Alanz says I like to hit men but that can't be since he's still in good condition and I think he's a man.

Made some nice penne al forno-penne, ricotta, onions, ground beef, sausage, basil, oregano, garlic, Prego roasted garlic and herb tomato sauce, all topped off with some slices of mozzarella and baked.

We had a nice baguette and an apple tarte tatin(I ate some when I got in from beating people up).

Haven't been posting a lot lately because really haven't been cooking.