• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Dinner tonight will be:

Tuna Tartare w/ponzu

Pan-roasted Arctic Char w/Honey-Soy Sauce Glaze

Green and Yellow Beans w/Toasted Sesame Oil

Roasted Fingerling Potatoe w/EVOO and Sea Salt

Corn

A loaf of Pugliese/butter

Not sure what we'll drink.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

dinner was reclining on the bed with little plates spread all around of ...

bread from curdnurd's oven - garlic and garlic with rosemar

cheese from curdnurd's cows - cheddar and drumm

fresh jersey tomatoes

grilled chicken sausages with sun-drid tomatoes

a kalamata olive oil dip from another local farm

beer

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner tonight was homemade soup made with stock following FG's lesson in eGCI. Much better than my usual stock. Much richer and with a fuller mouthfeel. Augmented with corn, carrots, rice and chicken chunks sauted with shallots & garlic. Tasty.

Also had homemade french bread from Shirley Corhier's recipe in Cookwise. This is a bread that never fails. Absolutely wonderful.

Eaten while watching Bridge over the River Kwai and the Good Eats "Down and Out in Paradise" special.

Wine was a Chilean sauvignon blanc called Morande. Damn tasty, especially at $7.00 per bottle.

Really.

This is a genuine surprise that we discovered while bargain hunting after spending too much on our vacation this year. It easily beats out sauvignon blancs at $20/bottle. Pretty much the ultimate summer swilling wine as far as we're concerned. We have a standing order for a case every Tuesday (25% off day) at our local wine place.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Tonight was BYOLT (build your own leftover tacos).

Leftovers = herb-crusted pork tenderloin from Friday night, grilled salmon from Thursday night, supermarket rotisserie chicken from Thursday lunch. Shredded them all. Also had some newly made refried beans.

Extras = homemade salsa (our manager's) and homemade coleslaw (mine) from yesterday's softball team party.

Tortillas = some pretty good whole wheat ones from California

Also ate some leftover cucumber-wakame salad.

Beverage = Huber Bock Beer.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Nicoise olives. Is that how you spell it?

Triple-cream Brie with some sorta mushrooms in it.

Pilsner-Urquell.

Beef Tenderloin with Bordelaise sauce

Pommes Anna

Green and yellow beans

Cabernet Franc (thanks, Tommy)

Molten chocolate cakes (by request, Jinmyo, :wink: , I would have been perfectly content with the olives, cheese, and steaks. I use frozen ganache in the cake centers).

Some kinda port that was sitting around

It was a special occasion. I don't spend an entire afternoon coaxing demi-glace from espagnole (pilfered from my Sauces final at school :shock: ) into Bordelaise for just any old dinner. :rolleyes:

However, I won't serve tenderloin with Bordelaise sauce again. But there wasn't anything gamy at the grocery store.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Molten chocolate cakes (by request, Jinmyo,  :wink: , I would have been perfectly content with the olives, cheese, and steaks.  I use frozen ganache in the cake centers).

The Pommes Anna almost make up for it. It's a tremendous dish and should be made more often than it is.

Did you put the mushrooms in the brie? Or were they... already there? :unsure: For how long? :blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

since i cooked most of the afternoon i really didn't feel like eating but forced myself.

for john - smoked salmon on baguette, smashed potaoes, sauteed yellow squash and turkey with gravy.

for me cheese filled shells with salad

more shells (meat filled ) went into the freezer along with my beaten meat(chicken breasts)for later in the hawkwatch season when i can just pull "em

out and have chicken cordon bleu or chicken a la pizziola

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I picked up some fabulous corn from the greenmarket today. So we had corn schmeared with sweet butter and bit of salt. Didn't need anything else.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Have I been here long enough to say "Welcome, fendel?"

Welcome, fendel!

Today we thought we'd be spending the day relaxing with my in-laws in the Berkshires, but we hadn't realized they had to be out of the house they'd rented by noon. So we helped them clean the house. Then we drove to New York many hours ahead of schedule and into the middle of a parade that ran right by the front of our building in Brooklyn. So we couldn't get anywhere near our building in Brooklyn for almost two hours.

So it was turning out to be a pretty cruddy Labor Day (the weather was bad too). I thought for dinner we'd eat the three-day-old leftover pizza from the fridge. But then some friends showed up with live lobsters and steamers they bought this morning in Maine!

fb360484.jpg

The holiday was saved.

(Don't read this and think that we take holidays in the Berkshires and have our friends from Maine deliver lobster on a regular basis. This type of thing has NEVER happened to us before. And this was the first time we'd ever been to the Berkshires, and it wasn't our house.)

We ate the lobsters and steamers with what we had on hand. Our millionth tomato salad of the season. Corn on the cob. And a bottle of Muscadet.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Last night: Shrimp & pasta. Shrimp sprinkled with my secrect spice mix (kosher salt, garlic powder, cayenne and a couple of other things I can't remember at the moment -- I usually use it as a chicken rub), sauted in duck fat and butter with minced garlic and shallots. Served over spaghetti noodles with a reduced pan sauce. Asparagus & julienned carrots. Homemade french-style bread.

Not bad at all.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Thai jasmine rice mixed with Korean sticky brown rice.

Stew of sliced eryingi and white mushrooms with shaved green cabbage in a shoyu broth.

Grilled skewered puffed tofu with satay sauce.

Roasted broccoli and Chinese long beans with chile sauce.

Very slow roasted then grilled baby back pork ribs with mushroom shoyu and gojuchang sauce.

Daikon kimchi. Cabbage kimchi. Chive kimchi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Finally cooked the pernil mentioned days ago on the blog. Invited some friends over to help us eat it, 'cuz it started out at 9 pounds, so it turned into a BIG DEAL. :biggrin:

Nibbles first: tostones (fried green plantain coins) with homemade salsa verde, bought creamy garlic dressing/sauce, unsalted saltines and table water crackers with sesame, and the marinated olives and MegC's tapenade left from the pot-luck.

At the table:

- Duck liver/chicken liver/pork terrine from the pot-luck (kept in the freezer, so it was still delicious, but crumbled when I tried to slice it.) Condiments were Dijon mustard and cornichons.

- Baked-from-frozen (what used to be called "Brown and Serve") dinner rolls

- Mixed red and green leaves with cucumber, dressed with Roasted Tomato/Roasted Garlic/Smoked Paprika vinaigrette. just to try something new. It came out tasting like gazpacho -- not a bad thing at all.

- The long-awaited pernil. Boy, was it worth the wait!! Cooked for about 4 hours at 325 to 350, pulled out when the temp was about 155. As it sat to rest, everyone kept picking off pieces of the rind, yum.

- Gravy from the marinade, defatted pan juices, and more sour orange juice. It went from lovely green to ugly brown, but it was sooo tasty.

- Boiled chunks of ñame (white yam).

- Coconut rice with fresh thyme.

- Long-cooked kale, done in the slow cooker with lots of onion and other vegetable juices. Well, HWOE and I liked it. :wink:

- Condiments for the pernil: pico de gallo (out of a bottle, since I used up the tomatoes for the vinaigrette), and home-pickled white onions with oregano and coriander.

- Dessert: baklava that jhlurie brought to the pot-luck, and elyse's shortbreads. :wub:

Copious amounts of Bass Ale, Dr. Frank Dry Riesling, and various other wines. Freshly ground decaf with dessert.

Saturday: Beer batter fried chicken chunks, corn on the cob roasted in the oven in the husk (BUTTER), fried green tomatoes

Sunday: Mario's turkey/pork meatballs, modified (one TABLESPOON of hot pepper flakes? plus more in the sauce, TWO tablespoons of salt - maybe these were typos from Food Network?), homemade foccacia

Monday: Pork loin in the Set It and Forget It, roasted Yukon Golds with garlic & rosemary, tomato/mozzarella/GARLIC salad

No wonder I'm so fat :shock:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Went to the market in Union Square on Saturday and got a number of nice things to make two meals.

Sunday (Brunch for 6):

Made a gruyere souffle (my first cheese souffle) and served it with english bangers (from the farmer's market) and duck bacon. Got a couple of fresh canteloupe as well. Also, fresh baked baguette and croissants from the local boulangerie, served with butter from Ronnybrook farms (also used their milk and butter in the souffle.)

Monday (Dinner for 2):

Broiled Rabbit with Alioli (Penelope Casas recipe from The Food and Wine of Spain) - Rabbit was at the farmer's market (same guy I bought the bangers from.)

Haricot Verts w/Chanterelle Mushroom

Heirloom tomatoes (also from the farmer's market) with just a little salt

The rabbit was delicious, particularly with the Alioli. I seemed like a long time to cook the rabbit pieces (10min each side in broiler, then 15min in 450 deg oven), but was perfect.

Have a lot of Alioli left over. May use it on the some fish in the next day or so.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Yesterday was a great cooking day. Grey and cool.

For dinner, we had a feast

roasted yellow pepper Bruschetta

Rancho Zabaco Sauvignon Blanc 2001

Pork tenderloin stuffed with prosciutto and served with a wildmushroom sauce

steamed broccolini

toasted israeli couscous

Wedman's Hill (or is it Wegman, not sure, it's Willamette Valley) Pinot Noir 2000.

Fresh fig tart with lemon marscarpone cream and a conrmeal crust (gourmet July 03)

Soba, eryingi are a kind of oyster mushroom that grow in a clump but look like white porcini. The taste is quite mild though, like oyster mushrooms.

Gojuchang (or "kojuchang") is Korean red miso with chiles.

I get the chive kimchi from Kimchi Farm Canada, a supplier outside of Toronto. Great, herbaceous stuff.

Even though it was cool and cloudy all day:

Gazpacho (made with leftover roasted tomato puree and tomato vinaigrette, plus fresh cucumber, garlic, and bell peppers)

Leftover duck/chix liver/pork terrine sandwiches on leftover dinner rolls

Fresh red/green leaf salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

Saranac Black and Tan.

I love "fresh" leftovers. :biggrin:

Tuesday dinner:

Indian food, courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey.

Murgh rasedar, or chicken in fried onion sauce. (This is my favorite Jaffrey recipe. She describes it as her family's "everyday" chicken, and for a while it was ours too.)

Gujerati sem, or Gujerati-style green beans. These are blanched, then reheated with garlic, mustard seeds, and a little chili pepper, salt, and sugar.

And I can't stop eating tomatoes. The weather in NYC is so lousy already; I'm grabbing up and eating every tomato I can before they're gone. Today I got a bunch of heirloom tomatoes. I didn't want to cook them, but I wanted a salad that made sense with the meal I was making. So I peeled them, cut them into wedges, and sprinkled them with salt and a little garam masala that I'd just ground together. So good.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Molten chocolate cakes (by request, Jinmyo,  :wink: , I would have been perfectly content with the olives, cheese, and steaks.  I use frozen ganache in the cake centers).

The Pommes Anna almost make up for it. It's a tremendous dish and should be made more often than it is.

Did you put the mushrooms in the brie? Or were they... already there? :unsure: For how long? :blink:

I agree on the Anna.

The mushrooms were already in the Brie. It was good. I wish I could remember the name. :unsure:

Monday late afternoon was a Gruyere souffle (hmm mikeycook, must be catching) with from-a-can-but-gussied-up tomato sauce.

Monday late night was homemade pita and hoummous, tabbouleh (never made it before, it came out OK), shish tawook, and from-a-box falafel.

Noise is music. All else is food.