• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Reverend, I borrowed the Commander's Palace cookbook from my chef, who used to work there. Great book. Didn't want to give it back.

Tonight's dinner:

Roasted salmon

Ribbons of red onion, red and yellow pepper, swiss chard stems, garlic and swiss chard leaves, sauteed in EVOO

Silver queen corn with lots of buttah

I've seen "globe zucchini" in Market Fresh in Ottawa a few weeks ago. Was tempted to hollow out and stuff with minced lamb, wild mushrooms, and top with creme fraiche and mint but just left them.

Jin, that sounds delicious. Would it work with leftover roasted lamb? Perhaps with a beaten egg and brown rice too?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Am I the only one who posts when he/she had done an impressive dinner? C'mon. We have Mac & Cheese or taco salad on a regular basis. I'd defy anyone with kids to say otherwise.

This one's for you, Chad. :wink: I need to grocery shop, plus my husband is out tonight, so dinner was whatever I could find in the freezer. It was particularly uninspired:

Ian's organic fish sticks (bought at Whole foods in a moment of madness)

Frozen haricots vert, micro'd and buttered

Bread and Butter

Golden raisins and cherries for dessert

The kids loved it. :biggrin:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

greenmarket red and yellow tomato salad with shallots and parsley (evoo from outside of rome and sherry vinegar from a trip to barcelona)

garlic-rosemary marinated portobello caps with sauteed swiss chard (greek evoo, peperoncino, onion)

1999 Zobinger Gaisberg Riesling, Hirsch (Austria)

caught "Iris" on tv, too. have to say "Iris" was the weakest of the combo

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

It's a PIE day! (Hey Elyse! :smile: ):

Pizza with artichoke provencal sauce, feta, black pearl olives, baby Bellas, carmelized onions and scallions.

Tarte Tatin-first attempt, not bad, very cool looking.

Am I the only one who posts when he/she had done an impressive dinner? C'mon. We have Mac & Cheese or taco salad on a regular basis. I'd defy anyone with kids to say otherwise.

Chad

Chad I post every meal we eat because I don't want others to feel intimidated by some of the incredible meals here. I also have 3 kids ages 7, 5 and 2.

I would love to see some "regular" meals posted as well, we all have our bad days! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Dinner tonight—I wanted to make Mexican Home Fries à la Mollie Katzen. I had most of the ingredients but found the corn tortillas to be stale. So I boiled new potatoes and tossed them into Calphalon wok with already-sautéed onions and red peppers. Cooked high until brown, and added diced/smoked breast of chicken and diced tomatoes from our garden. Then some chunky salsa with black beans and corn, because I need to make room for new condiments. Finally added cilantro (oh hush, you naysaying soap-mouths). Put in a dish and topped with grated cheese. Jack would have been best but all I had was cheddar.

It was very good, despite my variations from a recipe that I've not much veered from before.

Very easy, very unfancy, and pretty satisfying. And a "regular" meal.

The leftover half of a "Fred Flinstone-sized" bone-in rib eye, rare, sliced thin on a mixed green salad with vinagrette.

A side of Uncle Ben's Parmesan & Butter rice....should of made my own but it was quick and thoughtless.

For dessert, Denali's Caribou ice cream - vanilla with swirls of caramel and mini-chocolate covered cups of caramel.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Chad's right. I post every time I cook, although I am not always the one cooking. I think the amalgamated dinners-the leftovers, the Kraft Macaroni and cheese, the Uncle Ben's-all that is pretty interesting too. I mean let's face it; food isn't about how fancy it is or how gourmet we get. It's about taste and fun and enjoying ourselves. Sometimes the simplest meals are the best. I love setting a beautiful plate but I enjoy just as much the comfort foods I had when I was a kid. And there are days when everyone feels like vegging and not doing much of anything-"give me a sandwich" days. We all eat/cook things that we wouldn't necessarily confess to because it doesn't fit some ideal we think exists. Who cares? If you like it, eat it and tell us about it and maybe we'll be converted too. If you make it and it's horrible tell us so we can avoid it. It's all an adventure anyway.

Well last night I threw together a couple kinds of tomato sauce with the canned classico stuff we had left (tomato and basil sauce and a tomato pesto). Combined some sauce and pesto and heated it up with some diced linguica for the fiance. Sauteed some capers and kalamata olives in evoo with the rest of the tomato pesto for myself. My sauce came out well but too salty because the pesto was already salty and then the olives and capers didn't help...if I'd had some plain tomatoes that would have helped but I didn't. Anyway we had that on top of angelhair and had some Pepperidge Farm Parmesan Texas Toast with it.

Last night, homemade pizza. I'd planned to make calzones, but I'd forgotten about "Meet the Teacher" night at my son's school. In the interest of time I made one pizza rather than the calzones. One problem, I'd portioned the dough to make six calzones so my wife and I could have leftovers for lunch. The dough for six calzones on a 14" x 16" pizza stone makes for a, well, "sturdy" pizza :rolleyes: . Good, but very heavy.

Tonight, leftover tortilla soup, quesadillas and broiled asparagus with tomato basil vinagrette.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

and had some Pepperidge Farm Parmesan Texas Toast with it.

That stuff rocks :smile:

Yes it does! I like the Parmesan type more than the one with all the melted cheese on it, but my fiance likes the melted cheese, so I just put my own shredded cheese on his pieces before I pop them in the oven.

and had some Pepperidge Farm Parmesan Texas Toast with it.

That stuff rocks :smile:

Yes it does! I like the Parmesan type more than the one with all the melted cheese on it, but my fiance likes the melted cheese, so I just put my own shredded cheese on his pieces before I pop them in the oven.

I'm too lazy to do that, so I usually buy both kinds and pick one depending on what we're having with it. They're usually on sale at 2/$5 where I live.

Not crazy about cooking on weeknights. Thus the laziness.

ALTHOUGH tonight will be a tomato pie with 3 kinds of cheese, onions & basil. With store-bought crust, of course. :shock:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

It's been a lot of takeout lately mainly because I'm not in a cooking mood and because we had to toss out everything in the refrig because of the stupid blackout. ALL of the contents. ALL. all the unsalted butter, chicken, meat (the freezer had completely melted and soaked everything below), ramekins of chipotle peppers en adobo, EVOO covered anchovies, yogurt, soy milk, salsa and other goodies.

I'm especially depressed about the salsa because I spent Tuesday evening making a nice batch for a party that was supposed to happen on Friday. Gone, tossed into the garbage. Roasted tomato, onion and garlic salsa with chipotle chiles en adobo, toasted anchos, red wine vinegar and a dash of scotch bonnet infused vodka. :angry:

Have to start all over again and restock the refrig, and I feel like vegging for a week. :sad:

Last night was takeout from Chola. I'll post but I'm sure you don't want to hear about it.

Tawa Paneer

Keema Mattar

Coconut Rice

Dal

Gulab Jamun

I did make some lassi though. Plain, sweet, colored with a dash of rose water.

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Yesterday I was too tired to fire the grill, so I fried some zucchinis and a salmon fillet, EVOO, salt, pepper and a some lime juice over the fish... I have been grilling a lot this summer and sometimes I forget how good frying is. Everything was pretty tasty and simple, specially the zucchinis (maybe too much oil for some people). I also cooked a quesadilla (Spanish chorizo, fried onions, and cheddar cheese) for my lunch today.

Alex

skinny oven-fried chicken (skinless; marinaded in buttermilk, cayenne, and salt; rolled in flour, then egg, then a mixture of flour, cornmeal, cayenne, black pepper, and salt)

milk gravy

mashed potatoes

buttered peas and carrots

sliced tomato

shortbread cookies (cut with the fluted heart-, club-, spade-, and diamond-shaped cookie cutters I have used for shortbread since I was eight years old, and no other cookie shape will do)

my friday post-blackout dinner party menu:

...spaghetti al limone (barbara pepper's recipe - cold)...

Lissome, Can you say more about the lemon pasta?

I have made the Marcella Hazan version and like it very much, but it is super rich and creamy. Is yours similar?

Thanks!

Had errands to run today and didn't make it to the grocery store. I've decided to post the good, the bad and the ugly here from now on.

Dinner tonight:

purchased garic and black pepper rotisserie chicken - skin on, of course. I hate skinned rotisserie chicken.

spinach, mandarin orange, red onion, walnut and gorgonzola salad with EVOO and basalmic dressing

olive bread

hazelnut gelato

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Lessee ... last evening cheeseburgers. On homemade bread, lightly grilled preferred by me and the 11-year-11-month-old to regular buns and their pesky crusts ... the Consort was amenable even though he'd definitely prefer crust upon crust.

Angus chuck roast run twice through the old KitchenAid grinding attachment. Grilled over pretty darn hot mesquite fire. Tillamook Medium Cheddar generously applied.

The usual-suspect condiment platter: Tomato, excellent big old onion, those kind of dill slices that go lengthwise, lettuce. Our fake version of In-n-Out sauce mayonnaise ketchup mustard relish that sort of thing.

Frites, run twice through the old deep-fryer.

Bass Pale Ale. (For the grownups.) Aaah.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Jewish summer dinner...oh, who am I kidding, I eat this in the dead of winter too...

Gefilte fish (from the kosher supermarket)

Lots of Gold's horseradish

Crudite with hummus

Too many apricot rugalach

Tuesday night:

sauteed pork with marsala

spicy couscous (Jamie Oliver book #1)

stuffed grilled tomatoes with goat cheese, black olives and oregano (Cook's Illustrated Sept/Oct 2000)

cucumber salad with red onions, red wine vinegar, EVOO and mint

dessert:

wafer cookies with hazelnut cream

fb56da28.jpg

fb56da32.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"