• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

That mint pasta looks fantastic....

It was 80 degrees here yesterday, but it felt more like 100 with the humidity. (Ah, New England summers....)

My original plan, as I sat in an air conditioned office, dreaming about a good meal after a weekend on the road, was Veal Chops, Lemon Cream Pasta, and Asparagus with Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise.

That plan went to hell the minute I stepped outside and quick improvisation was required! I had to go to the grocery store, anyway, so here's what I went with:

bought Rotisserie chicken (Never did this before, but it was actually quite good)

crusty baguette

Asparagus and Orange Salad with Pecorino Romano (from Food & Wine 8/03 from the "no cook" article) - it was lovely, piquant and refreshing.

Pouilly Fusse (sp)

Now, when can I make those Veal Chops and Lemon Cream Pasta.....

Late lunch-early dinner combined: corn tortillas filled with chicken grilled under a brick and pulled apart, wilted spinach, fresh tomato and onion and laced with a lot of hot sauce. With the skin left on and using mostly the meat from the thighs and legs, it at least suggested the pork tacos served in the main square in Merida, Mexico.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Sunday:

Adobo marinated roasted chicken.

Crispy oven roasted yukon gold potatoe cubes with garlic, evoo and cilantro

Dessert: bannana bread pudding with raisins and chocolate chips

Monday:

Homemade Pizza night:

Margarita

provolone and mushrooms and salami

Fresh mozz with preserved eggplant

Dessert: Spongy chocolate pudding

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

arrived home Tuesday afternoon after a trip to food hell (an entirely different thread) with about $2 in my pocket and probably less in our bank account! :shock: so dinner was thrown together with what was left in the house. It was also my husbands birthday! :biggrin: but since we are having a big BBQ party on Sunday for him I wasn't too concerned about this nights dinner:

fugu no mirin-boshi (puffer fish that has been coated with mirin and sesame seeds and then dried outside)

-- picked this and a couple other fish up on our trip, this area is very famous for its himono or dried fish)

dashi maki tamago (Japanese style sweetened egg omelette)

cabbage and ginger pickles

miso soup with satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) and scallions

Japanese rice

fb789b59.jpg

fb789b43.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Very nice, Kristin.

Sa ho noodles (rice noodle rolls) steamed with chopped kale, dressed with dashi, fish sauce, mirin.

Roasted whole mushrooms with onion in a sweet chile and sesame sauce with gomasio. (Also the kale stems cut to the size of haricot verts.)

Tamarind soup with plum tomato spears and silken tofu, coriander.

Amaranth salad with a lime vinaigrette.

Pickled mustard greens and mango pickle.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Fettuccini with a sauce made of diced eggplant, onion, garlic, chopped tomatoes and fresh mozzerella.

Mint infused iced tea

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oven-roasted tomato tart (from recent Food and Wine)

How did you like it??

I've made it three times already and I absolutely love this tart.

-eggs and potatoes: sauteed yukon gold potato cubes in evoo until cooked through then added three eggs and cooked them together for a minute or so.

-fried eggplant with pomagranate molasses sauce

-Labne (drained yogurt) with EVOO, and salt

-plate of olives and Pita bread to go with everything

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

In response to FoodMan:

It was absolutely delicious! My only wish, though, is that there had been more tomatoes. My three pounds of plum tomatoes--by the time I'd halved, seeded, roasted, and peeled them--shrunk down to form only one real layer on the tart, plus a few extra to fill in little gaps. I'd hoped there would be at least two layers of tomatoes (and that is what the recipe suggested), if for no reason other than to make it *look* more substantial! I think I'll just start with more tomatoes next time...I figure it can't hurt to just roast more and pile 'em on. Did you have this problem, or did my tomatoes just shrink more than usual? They were still plenty moist and juicy with tomato flavor. I just wanted a more substantial tart, you know? Hmmmm.

She blogs: Orangette

Weds dinner:

was in an Okinawan mood :biggrin:

simmered pork belly with bonito flakes

goya champuru (stirfry of bitter melon, tofu, egg, and bonito flakes)

broccoli no goma-ae (sesame paste sauce)

shirasu-meshi (rice with baby anchovies--fry pan dried then seasoned with soy, and shiso)

fb7605d5.jpg

fb7605c7.jpg

Edited by torakris (log)

Last night: sweet corn (yes, again; can't get enough), green beans with lemon juice and kosher salt, and tomatos.

Sensing a mutiny ("Corn again? I am having nightmares about corn," young Peter says and Paul responds "I need variety in my diet; I think maybe we should go to White Castle tomorrow night), tonight I added grilled chicken to the sweet corn meal.

They were somewhat satisfied, and even more satisfied when I presented them with the vanilla ice cream with peaches (as opposed to peach ice cream) which I made this afternoon with some absolutely perfect Colorado peaches.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Last night: Freshly caught albacore cut into 2" chunks, marinated in Margaret Fox's marinade for salmon and albacore from the Cafe Beaujolais cookbook (two hours only) and grilled.

It was so good I wanted it again tonight.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

How did you like it??

Is the recipe for this tart available online? Sounds good.

Tuesday dinner: greenmarket stuff. Got some eggplants, made baba ghanouj. Ate the baba ghanouj with sliced up bell peppers-- these are available at the greenmarket in colors I've never seen at the supermarket: dark purple & almost white. The eggplants too were this beautiful streaky light purple and white. The coloring resembled those fat, bulbous Italian eggplants you see at gourmet markets, but they were shaped like regular purple eggplants.

Wednesday dinner was poached chicken breast with Allemande sauce, made from my eGCI stock, thank you very much. And some wild rice and sauteed spinach.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

In response to FoodMan:

It was absolutely delicious!  My only wish, though, is that there had been more tomatoes.  My three pounds of plum tomatoes--by the time I'd halved, seeded, roasted, and peeled them--shrunk down to form only one real layer on the tart, plus a few extra to fill in little gaps.  I'd hoped there would be at least two layers of tomatoes (and that is what the recipe suggested), if for no reason other than to make it *look* more substantial!  I think I'll just start with more tomatoes next time...I figure it can't hurt to just roast more and pile 'em on.  Did you have this problem, or did my tomatoes just shrink more than usual?  They were still plenty moist and juicy with tomato flavor.  I just wanted a more substantial tart, you know?  Hmmmm.

I built it a little differently than the recipe says, instead of doing two layers I just overlapped the tomatoes and got one layer plus a few extras. You can certainly use more tomatoes and if you have leftovers just make some oven roeasted tomato sauce with them and toss in some pasta :smile: .

Last night:

Red Beans and Rice with smoked sausage

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

How did you like it??

Is the recipe for this tart available online? Sounds good.

Tuesday dinner: greenmarket stuff. Got some eggplants, made baba ghanouj. Ate the baba ghanouj with sliced up bell peppers-- these are available at the greenmarket in colors I've never seen at the supermarket: dark purple & almost white. The eggplants too were this beautiful streaky light purple and white. The coloring resembled those fat, bulbous Italian eggplants you see at gourmet markets, but they were shaped like regular purple eggplants.

Wednesday dinner was poached chicken breast with Allemande sauce, made from my eGCI stock, thank you very much. And some wild rice and sauteed spinach.

It is available on F&W website:

Oven Roasted Tomato Tart

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

fugu no mirin-boshi (puffer fish that has been coated with mirin and sesame seeds and then dried outside)

-- picked this and a couple other fish up on our trip, this area is very famous for its himono or dried fish)

torakris--

Fugu!

:shock:

Noise is music. All else is food.

torakris--

Fugu!

:shock:

fugu is not the rare delicacy that those outside of Japan believe it to be,

even the sashimi is available at your local gocery!

the kids loved it! :biggrin:

Chicken Rice Soup

Macaroni and cheese

My Irish grandmother(not the Chinese grandmother) used to make this for me for lunch when I was little. I like it because it's my comfort food.

The macaroni was cooked most of the way then put in a casserole dish that I inherited with some canned stewed tomatoes(that may have been cooked with herbs, but my grandmother didn't add any), and 3 slices of American cheese laid over the top.

Cooked just enough to blend the flavor a little but not melt the cheese completely.

The adventure we had when we were little kids was then to try to find and fight over the cheese pieces. :smile:

Thursday dinner:

fried zuwai-gani (tiny crabs)

tofu and melokheya greens(Jew's mallow) with umeboshi-ginger- soy

simmered daikon with niku-miso

dessert:

M&M's :biggrin:

fb7389cd.jpg

Johnsonville Smoked Brats on buttered hard rolls with Julia's braised sauerkraut and Gulden's spicy brown

Potato pancakes

Sierra Nevada for me

Mezcal margaritas for my SO :wacko:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Tonight we're having:

Pan-roasted salmon in a citrus-balsamic sauce

Basmati rice and red lentil pilaf

Sauteed Zukes in EVOO and butter

To drink is Lemon verbena infused iced tea.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs