• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Have you tried anything from her tapas cookbook?

No, I only have Casas' first book, "Food & Wine of Spain," if that's its name. I've been tempted many times to buy the tapas book and her regional cooking book ("Delicioso!"); I bet the tapas book is perfect for summer. I like the book I have; and the wine appendix is very useful.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Our best friend just closed on her very first house this past week, so I asked her around 5:00 yesterday what she wanted me to cook her for dinner that night. She told me, "Steak. I want a steakhouse meal."

That's what she got.

Salad consisted of an iceberg lettuce wedge with homemade green goddess dressing (god, when was the last time someone had green goddess?), yellow tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and avocadoes.

fb814a47.jpg

Dinner was pan seared filet mignon, baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, and lima beans with grape tomatoes and pesto. It's a pretty brown looking plate.

fb814a46.jpg

We drank an awesome 1993 Banfi Brunello. I love to break out my decanter!

fb814a44.jpg

For dessert, a 4 berry cobbler (straw, black, rasp, and blue) with vanilla bean ice cream.

fb814a41.jpg

fb814a3e.jpg

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cold farmer's market supper today:

Knockwurst, would have been grilled but we were out of charcoal :angry: so panfried with Vidalia onions

Blanched green beans and the tiniest little red potatoes I've ever seen, with a dijon vinaigrette and homegrown fresh thyme

Early Girl and Stupice (sp? some heirloom I had never heard of) tomatoes, sliced with homegrown chives, EVOO, and a drizzle of basalmic

Sourdough bread and Plugra butter

Dessert: enormous, juicy, perfect blackberries with vanilla ice cream

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Today I am marinating some free range chicken in an infused olive oil, infused with lemongrass, rosemary and chive. Tomorrow I will couple that with italian black oil cured olives, roasted garlic and an imported spice from france by the name of epices rabelais( available at fairway oon 125th street in harlem. Then we roast for one hour on 400degree's and will accompany with baby white egglant sauteed with garlic and currants and sprinkled with sel de mer. Also smashed baby yukons with danish butter,sour cream,chives and truffle oil. Yellow baby watermelon is dessert. C'mon people let's face it food is a celebration. :biggrin::smile:

husband is suffering from some intestinal distress from his end of the vacation hike up to the catskill high peak region so.....

steamed purple beans and golden squash with sesame oil and kosher salt

boiled potato pieces

trader joes (my new favoirte store at least once a month) crab cakes

two hours later - dessert of a piece of kay's three berry pie with a tiny scoop of lactaid scoopfuls(100% lactose free) vanilla ice cream and a scoop of non-dairy whipped cream(for john) and a glass of chateau st jean fume blanc 2000.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sat nite: continued with my impromptu Penelope Casas weekend. Had veal chops with some sauteed mushrooms, piniento, and ham on top. Had some greenmarket corn along with it.

Tasty, yes. But tonight I must make something lighter.

I bet the tapas book is perfect for summer.

It is! Her Tapas book is one of my favorite cookbooks. Many of the recipes are staples in our house. I highly recommend it.

We're having a friend over who is in town to compete in the North American Cycle Courier Championships this weekend in DC. As you can imagine, he's in really good shape and eats like you would not believe, with a particular fondness for hoofed ungulates.

Tonight's menu:

grilled steak and chicken fajitas

homemade guac and pico de gallo

beer

fresh berry shortcakes

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Mostly home grown:

Sat:

Schav Borscht (Sorrel soup)

Salmon, cucumber gellee, Pink Fir potatos, Salad

Clafoutis: cherry and plum

Sun:

12 Hour cooked leg of lamb

Red, white and blue potatos

Runner (Pole) beans

Strawberries (aged balsamic, pepper), cream

Home baked bread and cheeses

Sunday night:

Rounded out my (for no particular reason) Penelope Casas weekend with:

Tortilla Espagnole. Served at room temperature. A variation on the traditional, with diced pimiento (I'm just crazy about homemade pimiento lately) and a little sauteed, diced chorizo added.

And a greenmarket tomato salad. Tomato wedges, peeled and seeded, tossed with oil, vinegar, and a handful of basil leaves.

And a loaf of Italian bread.

SethG,

that salad sounds like mine, only mine came from my garden: Brandywine tomatoes and fresh basil along with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Also:

steamed yellow stringbeans (homegrown)

raw carrot sticks (homegrown)

the main event: Wild salmon filets (from the Oregon coast), grilled in a basket with oil. pepper and lemon slices.

And a loaf of ciabatta.

This meal was wonderful and all the better because it was the first tomato salad of the season for us.

Regarding Penelope Casas... I think her books are pretty good. I have a couple Spanish cook books from Spain and the recipes are too general. Casas is able to write detail instructions that help a beginner cook.

For my dinner... My wife wanted a small paella so I went to our fish market to see what I could find... I was happy to see some life crayfish. My mother always says to buy only life crayfish, so I followed the advice. Anyway, I made a small paella with chicken, chorizo, crayfish, squid, and mussels. It turned out well, although even when I have cooked paella dozens of times, I still cannot make sense of the rice/stock ratio... Taste is usually pretty good, but most of the times, I end up adding either additional stock or water at the end to finish the rice...

Alex

SethG,

that salad sounds like mine, only mine came from my garden: Brandywine tomatoes and fresh basil along with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.

Also:

steamed yellow stringbeans (homegrown)

raw carrot sticks (homegrown)

the main event: Wild salmon filets (from the Oregon coast), grilled in a basket with oil. pepper and lemon slices.

And a loaf of ciabatta. 

This meal was wonderful and all the better because it was the first tomato salad of the season for us.

I'm jealous, although we're getting lots of good New Jersey (don't laugh, they're really good!) tomatoes here at the New York greenmarkets. This was our third tomato salad in the past week, and although the two prior salads involved avocado or blue cheese, this third one was easily the best. Simple is good, as Mark Bittman likes to say.

Any suggestions as to how I could replicate your garden in my 8th floor Brooklyn apartment?

"I found that essence rare, it's what I live for."

And by the way, Heather, completely off-topic for this thread: Entertainment! is the greatest album, ever. At least, I think so whenever I listen to it, which is frequently.

I'm jealous, although we're getting lots of good New Jersey (don't laugh, they're really good!) tomatoes here at the New York greenmarkets.  This was our third tomato salad in the past week, and although the two prior salads involved avocado or blue cheese, this third one was easily the best.  Simple is good, as Mark Bittman likes to say.

Any suggestions as to how I could replicate your garden in my 8th floor Brooklyn apartment?

New Jersey IS the garden state, is it not? If you have access to good tomatoes, my other favorite dish is Deborah Madison's Summer Tomato soup. It so simple: only butter, shallots, lots of really ripe and juicy tomatoes, and salt and pepper, cooked and run through a food mill. It is the essence of summer. I haven't been deluged with tomatoes yet, so it'll be a few weeks before I make this.

Helena, great. And great photos.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sweet corn (yes, again), sliced tomatos, green beans. Those That Must Eat Meat had grilled pork chops. Melon for dessert. Washed down with Gin and Tonics (lemonade for the little ones.

I have fixed sweet corn 9 out of the last 10 days. I'm in heaven; everyone else in the household will start to complain soon. Let them complain!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Um, how long do you think it would take for me to read this thread from the beginning? Corollary question: would I pass out from dehydration from drooling away my entire body weight in saliva before I completed the task? (It's my first day here, wheeeee.)

I have no idea what's for dinner tonight, but I think jumbo scallops sautéed with mushrooms and wine/cream, some kind of dish with the two ripe Ronde de Nice squashes that I just picked from our garden, and a salad featuring the glorious red tomatoes I just picked as well. Probably the favorite salad of late: Niman Ranch uncured bacon (from Trader Joe's—arguably the best bacon on earth, sayeth my cheffy friends) with tomatoe and lettuce. And their Vidalia Onion salad dressing (which is going to either bankrupt me or turn me into a mainliner). It's a BLT without the bread!

Bibb lettuce with shaved Vidalia onion, farm market european cukes, herb vinaigrette

Heirloom tomato and zucchini tart

Marinated chickpeas

Blackberry-apricot-cherry pie

Mmm, pie.

Mark Bittman's mint pasta, along with some leftover chicken piccata from Rachel's mom's luncheon.

mintpasta.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Tonight:

leftover toritilla

chicken salad sandwiches made from dark meat removed from my still-simmering chicken stock.

Um, how long do you think it would take for me to read this thread from the beginning?

Took me approximately 7 days on my computer at work to get through them all. :biggrin:

If you have the time, the recipes and menu selections posted by eGulleteers are well worth it.

Welcome, tanabutler.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver