• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Thursday dinner:

temaki zushi  (sushi handrolls)

with a purchased sashimi set plus

fake crab legs

shiso and shishito form the garden

kaiware (daikon sprouts)

cucumbers

dashi-maki tamago (sweet egg roll)

my version of spicy tuna

tuna with mayo

yanaka shouga  (very young ginger, you eat it by dipping it in miso)

fb9533a9.jpg

dessert:

ice cream

Kristin,

What fabulous presentation. It looks gorgeous.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tonight we're having:

Borscht (first time making it)

Poached Salmon

Tomato Tart in a Basil-Garlic Crust

Green and Yellow Beans in a Basil Dressing

Bread Pudding

Lemon Verbena infused iced tea

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Friday dinner:

salmon spread with a EVOO, mustard, honey sauce then coated with panko, pecans and parsley and baked (adapted from allrecipes)

marinated carrots with oregano and garlic (Marcella Hazan)

Parmasean focaccia (Jack Bishop)

pappa al pomodoro (bread and tomato soup from Al Fresco by Louise Pickford)

fb933abe.jpg

fb933ac4.jpg

Edit:

we dipped the focaccia in the carrot marinade, it was wonderful! :biggrin:

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Friday's dinner:

Thai spicy beef noodles with lime leaf (for those of you reading this in Thailand, that's Gueyteow Pad Ki Mow).

I'm trying to overcome my pregnant wife's vegetable aversions, so instead of just steaming some broccoli to go with the beef, I sauteed the broccoli with garlic, tumeric and salt (courtesy of Julie Sahni). I thought it was very tasty, but it was still broccoli, so my wife stopped after one spear.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

friday night:

takeaway rainbow roll - no fish eggs for husband

large dinner salad of baby greens with aged parmesan, english cucumber, jersey fresh tomatoes, and grilled andouille sausage and a raspberry walnut vinaigrette

tonight: husband is going into the city so perhaps reservations for me?

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My attempt at a traditional "American" dinner:

Ceasar Salad

Prime Rib in a roasted garlic horseradish crust over mashed potatoes topped with julienned yellow and green squash and carrots.

French Cut green beans with cream of chicken soup sauce(forgot the frizzled onions on the top). (My "I don't like cooking anymore" mother used to make this).

Leftover lemon meringue pie

Followed by 2 slices of pizza, salad, ice cream cake and zinfandel at a friend's house for a friend's birthday.

ohhhh, my stomach! :unsure:

Tonight we're having:

bloviatrix--

how did your borscht turn out? tips for someone who has yet to make it?

thanks!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Tonight we're having:

bloviatrix--

how did your borscht turn out? tips for someone who has yet to make it?

thanks!

I thought it turned it out pretty good -- very refreshing. And my husband loved it. He thought it tasted very rich -- the half and half and potato gave it a very creamy quality.

The recipe I used required little prep and was quick to make. The only problem was I couldn't find a fresh pair of rubber gloves and had to peel the roasted beets with my bare hands. :rolleyes:

Tossed salad of hearts of romaine with sliced pear, gorgonzola and toasted walnuts. Olive oil/balsamic herbed vin.

Focaccia Robiola (ahhhhh, *heaven* with white truffle oil)

white Italian table wine (not sure on the selection, it's on the way)

dessert: cantalope with port

Edited by beans (log)

Saturday dinner:

Had a few friends over. Served a summer meal:

A sliced tomato and blue cheese salad

A roasted chicken with fresh rosemary, garlic and lemon, allowed to cool to room temperature

corn on the cob

homemade potato salad (This was from Bobby Flay's show ("Boy Meets Grill"), aired this past Friday night. I was jealous of his grill, his smoker, and his rooftop deck with the Manhattan skyline view, so I made the only thing from the episode I could make, since I have no grill, smoker or rooftop deck. The potato salad was yummy-- has a mustard tang to it. Creamy but not too heavy.)

and plain boiled asparagus, sprikled with fresh lemon juice.

Sunday:

leftovers!

Plus a cucumber soup I made yesterday but which didn't seem to fit in anywhere.

Edit: can anyone suggest what I should do with a mountain of leftover fresh dill?

Edited by SethG (log)

Tzatziki with crispbreads, Moroccan oil-cured olives

Syrian braised lamb with tomatoes, green beans and oregano

Rice pilaf with kalamatas and basil

Mango-coconut trifle with rum cream and pound cake

Edit:  can anyone suggest what I should do with a mountain of leftover fresh dill?

You can send it to me, for one thing. I like to use it in potato salad (and we're overdue for some, this is summer, after all) with nice red potatoes, and then there's this cucumber/yogurt/dill salad dressing I had at some restaurant somewhere some time ago that I've been dying to try to copy. Y'all here at Egullet are inspiring me to actually learn to cook.

We had a little impromptu dinner party with Eric Malson last night...here is what happens when Sam and Eric have unfettered access to the kitchen:

Cocktails (the "dude," our house drink, which involves vodka, campari and limoncello, followed by a drink composed of Hennessy, Vya sweet vermouth and orange bitters--basically a Hennessy Manhattan, I guess?)

Sopa alentejana (oh my lord, this was unbelievably delicious...basically a soup of stale bread, sliced garlic, salt, chopped cilantro, lots o' EVOO, a poached egg and hot water)

Arroz de coelho à Minhota (rice cooked in stock with chorizo and braised bunny wabbit. Yum!)

We had bread with two good cheeses for dessert, a Cabrales (I FINALLY get Cabrales!) and a soft Portuguese one--can't remember the name, I was absolutely piefaced by this time, as we'd downed two bottles of wine in addition to the pre-dinner cocktails.

MMMMMMMMMMM.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The other cheese was Portuguese (naturally) queijo da Serra, one of the great cheeses of the world, IMHO.

I find it so interesting that sopa alentejana is always such a hit. Nothing could be simpler in concept or execution. A monument to the idea of of simple, good food and its integrity, I guess.

Thanks Sam and Kathleen for "volunteering" your wonderful space....after my remodeling, we'll do it my place, I promise!

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Syrian braised lamb with tomatoes, green beans and oregano

Rochelle, just curious:

Now that school's over, how has your thinking evolved on eating meat?

I've decided it's quite difficult to avoid eating meat and remain serious about food. I also have found I like meat quite a bit and don't really want to eliminate it from my diet. I still maintain a mostly-vegetarian household (we eat fish but no meat or fowl at home). Last night was the first time I cooked meat outside of school/work since I stopped being a vegetarian, and I cooked it at a friend's apartment. I order it when dining out occasionally, but don't eat it at home and therefore don't prepare it.

BTW, the lamb came out nicely braised, and had a good color from the browning I gave it before adding all the liquids, but I have concluded that I don't like braised meats all that much. I never liked the braises we did at school, with the exception of the osso buco. I know how to execute them properly but that melting texture is just not as appealing as a caramelized crust surrounding pink flesh, a medium-rare steak or chop or rack. We had a lot of discussions at school about how braises show more skill than food that is quickly sauteed or grilled, but I guess skill does not translate to preference for me.

My friend requested the lamb dish (it was her birthday dinner) which was why I made a braised meat, but I wondered if my palate had grown to like braises more since I've been eating meat for well over a year now. I didn't. It wasn't bad or anything, just not my taste.

Papaya salad with fresh plum tomatoes, scallions, oi sabagi kimchi, pomegranate reduction.

Tofu puffs, dai gai choy, bok choy, and peppers braised in a satay coconut sauce.

Slaw of Napa cabbage, shaved carrots and daikon, and onions with ngoc mam and key lime.

Grilled U10 shrimp with a lobster and dashi broth.

Fried lontong (Southeast Asian rice cake slices).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Friday:

Magret of Duck (what IS Magret, anyway? I could not find a definition anywhere - does it just refer to the fact that I pan seared it and then put it in the oven to finish cooking?) with Fig Shallot Compote

Asparagus and Rice

Sagelands Merlot 2000

Lemon Curd and Raspberry Tart

Saturday:

Romaine Salad with Oranges and Manchego

Moroccan Grilled Shrimp with Fusilli (included a fantastical chermoula)

Chapellet "Dry" Chenin Blanc 2001

Chocolate and Hazelnut filled wafer cookies

Sunday:

Chilled Cucumber Soup with Dill

Panzanella

(too freaking hot to cook)

Cheese and Nuts

William Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 2000

Monday dinner:

mackeral, daikon, Japanese scallions and red pepper simmered in a miso-kochujang sauce

Korean style mizuna style

fresh baby corn (boiled) and cucumber sticks with a kojuchang-miso-scallion-sesame dip

Japanese rice

dessert:

ice cream for those who were still awake

I have a picture but I can't figure out how to get it from my software into my documents section, I know I just did this a couple days ago, I'm sure I will figure it out again. :sad:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"