• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Heather, your dinner sounds lovely.

Friday night: Grilled squash, zukes and red onion, rubbed with olive oil, s, p, Penzey's Sunny Paris seasoning

Grilled sweet white corn with butter and sea salt

NY strip steak, rubbed with olive oil, chili powder, s, p

All cooked outside on my mini-hibachi and my housemate's camp stove, while camping. Mmm hmm. I was planning to grill some peaches and apples for dessert but it started to rain. :angry:

Summer lunch, in the garden, under the apple trees, Nearly alll home grown or made

12 hour oven cooked BBQ style brisket

Coleslaw

Cucumber salad (dill, chives)

New Potatoes w mint

Homemade dill pickles

Pepper salad

Bread and cheese (Montgomery CHedder, Munster)

Raspberries aand cream

For supper we had a mushroom omlette, mi-cuit tomatos, and the leftover potatos pan fried.

Sunday dinner:

Had a huge buffet lunch at the New Sanno Hotel in Hiroo, this is a US Military hotel and they have a wonderful Sunday brunch for $19.95 complete with champagne and caviar (and then there is also the roast beef, sushi, Belgian waffles and incredible salad bar).

So for dinner my husband made up some fried rice for the kids and we snacked on sub sandwiches bought at the deli in the hotel.

dessert:

ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tonight, vegetarian sausage sandwiches with sauteed onions and tomato sauce

Seared tiny zucchini with garlic and basil oil

Many, many ears of silver corn

Peanut brittle (purchased)

Tonight we're having:

Salmon poached in a tomato-cumin cream sauce

Leftovers are a beautiful thing. :smile:

Flaked up the remaining salmon, boiled up some penne and heated up the remaining sauce.

Not bad.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

we are back from poughkeepsie and john's grandma is doing well on the day after her 101st birthday...

stopped for fresh corn at our local fruit and vegetable stand

made chili with black beans

toasted tortillas

corn on the cob

corona with lime

dessert:

peach and raspberry pie i made on friday - very juicy but tasted good :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hmm, last night was grilled chicken breasts marinated in teriyaki, ginger & garlic, arborio rice and corn on the cob. Washed down with our favorite summer swill, Lindeman's Bin 65 chard.

I also pickled some of my chile peppers this weekend. These are infusion pickles rather than fermented pickles. Along with the SuperChiles (a pequin hybrid) and habanero, I threw in some onion, smashed garlic and about a pound of baby carrots. The pickling solution is cider vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seed and crushed red pepper. What I'm hoping to end up with are pickled peppers and hot, semi-sweet carrot pickles. Keep your fingers crossed.

Tonight, pork roast (brining as we speak), asparagus & julienned carrots, foccacia and salad.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

What a great thread!

Shrimp and Cucumber Salad with Dill Vinaigrette

Spice Rubbed Chicken breasts with Lemon Shallot Sauce

Roasted Grape Tomatoes with Parmigiano and Parsley

Lattice Topped Peach Pie

Monday dinner:

steaks seared, rested, sliced, then served over steamed baby bok choy and topped with soy-sake-ginger-garlic-red chiles sauce

roasted potatoes, carrots, and red onions

avocado and red onion salad with lemon juice and EVOO

Japanese rice

dessert:

homemade strawberry frozen yogurt,

got this one from Jamie Oliver, you puree some frozen fruit in a food processor then add some yogurt and honey, instant frozen yogurt!

-cool pea mint soup with creme fraiche

-steak sandwiches. Thick top sirloin steak rubbed with rosemary, sage and olive oil then seared medium rare. sliced thin. Served in fresh french baguettes topped with mushrooms cooked with onions in butter and balsamico with a heavy pat of Dijon smeared on the bread.

-side of pan juices for dipping

-Homemade double fried French Fries.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tonight it's pan-roasted sea bass with charmoula and a 2 bean salad. Maybe some chilled melon for dessert.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tuesday dinner:

for the rest of the summer our Tuesday meals are planned and prepared by Mia age 7.

cherry tomato gratin

carrot kinpira (stirfry with soy and sesame)

teriyaki meatballs

chargrilled squid tossed with mizuna, canellini beans and chiles with lemon and EVOO

(this was done by me :biggrin: )

dessert (also by Mia)

milk "jello" scooped into balls with mandarin oranges, pinapple and bananas

I took pictures with our new digital camera we purchased on Monday however I can't figure out how to get the pictures form the software onto the internet, still working on it!

Mia cooking the carrot kinpira

fb9994a3.jpg

the finished meal

fb999490.jpg

edit:

I did it! I did it!

by the way, Julia and Hide helped themselves to half the meatballs before we got the picture taken! :angry:

Edited by torakris (log)

Last night:

Roasted tomato soup. (I need a chinois.)

Corn pudding a la Edna Lewis. (It split.)

Seared salmon. (A bit overdone.)

Blueberry-cherry cobbler. (Perfect.)

This is why I shouldn't cook while I am sick. :angry:

Peppercorn-crusted pork loin with pears in a marsala sauce.

Whipped butternut squash

Baked sliced red potatoes with milk, butter, s/p and garlic.

"Pear I don't Know"- a baked individual desert that I'm not sure what you would call it. Layered-bottom is an egg white, sugar, and almond paste mix, then sauteed pears with butter, sugar and cinnamon, finally a topping of crumbs with butter and sugar. Plated with pear vanilla sauce. :biggrin:

"Pear I don't Know"-  a baked individual desert that I'm not sure what you would call it.  Layered-bottom is an egg white, sugar, and almond paste mix, then sauteed pears with butter, sugar and cinnamon, finally a topping of crumbs with butter and sugar.  Plated with pear vanilla sauce.  :biggrin:

"pear orgasm" which would also work with figs or peaches i think - cool dumpling will have to try this

since the husband finally got home had a glass of port and cheese and crackers waiting for him(since i conviced him he could eat a bit of cheddar and it wouldn;t bother his intestines he is in culinary heaven).

followed up with red snapper veracruz, trader joe's spanish rice and a zucchini frittata. finished for him with a few pieces of valhrona bar......

my friend 'chelle took me to trader joe's in florham park, nj.....

oh, my god soooooo cool. bought all kinds of organic stuff for use in the future

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

weds dinner:

Julia's (age 5) turn in the kitchen, on the menu,

curry rice (japanese style)

we invited my in laws over at the last minute and my MIL threw together yakisoba (Japanese stirfried noodles) and a tomato and hard boiled egg salad topped with deep fried shirasu and a basalmic-sweet chile sauce dressing (we threw the dressing together, together :wink: )

the meal:

fb989ce2.jpg

fb989cda.jpg

fb989cd4.jpg

Had a Bon Appetit-inspired night from the latest issue I picked up:

skewered fresh mozz, canteloupe & prosciutto w/ cracked pepper drizzled with fig balsamic vinegar (instead of the pesto they had, which I put on the pasta) -- pretty perfect. Even garnished it with a flower made out of the mozzarella trimmings to make the cubes, with a melon center on a fan of prosciutto. I never garnish food at home unless we have company but this board's inspired me -- it was nice and didn't feel contrived.

room temp linguine w/ arugula/basil pesto -- I eat pesto hot or cold during the summer like crazy; always looking for something new but not too new, meaning, it has to be green. The recipe is for arugula with mint but I didn't have any mint and I wanted a more traditional flavor.

corn-on-the-cob from the farmer's market, boiled and then dressed with olive oil, pecorino, basil, lime juice, s+p. Recipe called for lime juice, cumin, red pepper, garlic, basil & oil -- I just Italianized it for the meal but put in lime juice accidentally as I was glancing at the recipe. The directions say to panfry the corn in plain olive oil, then add the mixture to the pan and continue to fry. That's what I did -- half of the mixture stayed in the pan & made a huge caked-on mess, but worth it for that almost-burnt cheese aroma that stuck on the corn even if the cheese itself didn't. Yes, I should get a cheap nonstick skillet.

I let the corn get good color in strips, which really made the dish. I totally loved it -- getting a bite of toasty browned kernels and sweet pale ones together. The lime juice was the biggest surprise. I was worried it would taste off -- I couldn't remember ever seeing lime in an Italian dish -- but it just made the EVOO seem more fruity (I used regular gallon-stuff to fry but good Greek stuff in the dressing).

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

A simple meal of sliced zuchini sauteed in olive oil, with S&P at the end, served with pork tenderloin rubbed lightly in minced poblano and adobo sauce and baked in a clay baker. Followed by a salad of Boston lettuce, radish, and green onion with oil and vinegar. That's all folks.

Thursday dinner:

temaki zushi (sushi handrolls)

with a purchased sashimi set plus

fake crab legs

shiso and shishito form the garden

kaiware (daikon sprouts)

cucumbers

dashi-maki tamago (sweet egg roll)

my version of spicy tuna

tuna with mayo

yanaka shouga (very young ginger, you eat it by dipping it in miso)

fb9533a9.jpg

dessert:

ice cream

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin, are those scallops?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Grilled Chicken Wings (recipe courtesy alanz at wwwzenreich.com)

Brining for forty minutes in kosher salt and sugar then liberally sprinkling

on JJ's Rub, leaving on for a while then grilling. Popping good with juice! Skin is so crispy! :smile:

Pasta with broccoli, baby bellas, onions, scallions, olive oil, red wine, salt, pepper, little romano and little feta. Nice accompaniment to wings; flavors blend well.

Lemon Meringue PIE!(Hey, Elyse!) First time I ever made a lemon meringue. From a recipe from Walt Disney World. I came in after practice(martial arts) and either I was just really hungry or it was just one of the most stunningly flavorful pies I ever ate. It was so freshly lemony I just said, "UMMM!" :wub::wub: