• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

gazpacho "salade composee" (i need some some sort of mandoline or micro-plane slicer, sick of chopping...)

smoked salmon and cream cheese agnolotti, pesto :wub:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Brazilian Braised Country Pork Ribs (pork ribs braised in coconut milk, chicken broth, tomato paste, blood orange juice, red onion, carrots, garlic, ginger, kosher salt, chili piquin, habanero, dried shrimp, toasted ground cumin and sherry vinegar) garnished with toasted peanuts, avocado and raisins

Rice

Black Beans

Greens

Maredsous 10 (belgian Tripel)

and more homemade Scharfenberger truffles for desert (grin)

fanatic...

weds dinner:

Haven't been shopping in close to a week, cooking from the freezer

kinme (some kind of red skinned fish with big eyes) simmered in a soy-sake-sugar-ginger broth with nanohana (broccoli rabe)-- this was actually very good considering they were both frozen products

hiyayakko (cold tofu dish) with lots of shiso (from the garden) and ginger drizzled with tamari

smoked salmon, celery and red onion dressed with lemon juice and EVOO

soy simmered shiitake and konbu

Japanese rice

dessert:

ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Penne alla Vodka

I was inspired by the Tomato Cream Sauce thread, plus I had some heavy cream sitting in the fridge.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Behold, grilled THAI LARBURGERS, served Vietnamese Banh-mi style on Baguette with a Coriander Chutney and Hoisin Mayo dressing.

larburger4.jpg

These are simply Larb Balls formed into patties and grilled on the Weber.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

sorry.....but.....

carry-out sushi from my favorite north burb chicago restaurant for me ( bbq eel, shrimp tempura roll, spicy scallop roll). chicken teriyaki (lotsa citrus, not lotsa sugar) for wife/son, after son's baseball game. oh, yeah, we won!

A friend gifted me with a heap of key limes. So, I've been coming up with stuff to sneak them into. (The husband is not such a fan of anything that isn't related to a potato.)

Last night

chicken grilled

w/coconut milk and key lime sauce

assorted veggies from the garden, sauted and covered with parm.

These two things do not necessarily belong on the same plate together but, at home, I refuse to be bothered.

Asparagus risotto, chez Cesare Lanfranconi (second try, still not right but better)

Seared spicy shrimp

For dessert: fresh pineapple

Thursday night:

had my 3 kids plus 2 more so a very kid friendly menu

meatballs and roasted potatoes and green beans all simmered together in a tomato-onion sauce seasoned very heavily with garlic, fresh oregano and fresh basil

green salad with red onion slices and balsamic-EVOO dressing

katsuo tataki-- seared bonito slcied and topped with garlic slices, shiso and a drizzle of tamari

Japanese rice

dessert:

brownies

Hot weather composed salad, composed salads are what come to mind, besides basil, when the weather is hot.

Leftover grilled top sirloin that was already good the first time around, sliced thinly across the grain, left to soak briefly in an emulsified mustard vinaigrette bath.

Potato salad, nice red potatoes with minced shallots already in the bowl awaiting the drained hot potatoes, white wine vinegar over while hot, toss toss toss, as room-temp approached mayonnaise (Best Foods Orange Top) and a load of chopped chives and s & p, toss.

Lovely bed of, bed of lovely, butter lettuce, thickly padding the platter. Potato salad, sliced beef arrayed over, h.b. egg quarters here & there, extra dressing/marinade poured overall.

Sourdough bread with salty Tillamook butter ... what a treat!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

(Continuing my Brazilian/Afro-Cuban theme of late)

Mahi-Mahi poached in Spicy Coconut Milk with a sweet corn, chili, avocado and blood orange salsa)

White Bean and Chorizo Stew

Dirty Rice

Grilled Squash

Victory Golden Monkey Ale

fanatic...

last night:

grilled strip steaks, marinated for about an hour in:

garlic

rosemary

marjoram

thyme

dark soy

worcestershire

s&p

all ground to a paste in my newly-delivered thai mortar/pestle and smeared over the steaks.

boxed spaghetti with homemade pesto sauce, ground from the basil we grow at home, garlic, evoo, and parmesan (no pine nuts....didn't have 'em this time) in my newly-delivered thai m/p.

fresh-picked salad greens from a planter box on our deck, with a vinegrette made just before serving in my (you guessed it! :smile: ) newly-delivered thai m/p. damn, that thing works great!

bottle of clos de carneros (carneros creek's second, or one of 'em).....ok, but at 18 bucks, i can find better grape for the buck.

matt

Beanloaf, what kind of smoked sausage?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Last night:

Cut a pound of swiss chard and a couple of serrano peppers from the tiny garden out back... stewed that up with tomatoes, onions, and garlic.

Rolled the result into corn tortillas, making a pan of enchiladas, topped with more of the stewed chard and cheese.

Served it with spanish rice and cucumber/avacado salad.

It worked (used the left-over spicy stewed chard this morning in a scramble - also worked very well).

Just something about cooking from your garden that makes life all that much more worthwhile.

Friday night:

Daughter Julia (age 5) was on an overnight trip with her kindergarten class, so just 4 of us for dinner. :sad:

bul-kalbi-- Korean style beef ribs (but with out the bone :blink: ) wrapped in shiso and lettuce leaves and smeared with kojuchang

somen noodles in a chicken broth with sauteed baby bok choy and shiitake and lots of garlic, ginger, and fresh red chiles (this was from Donna Hay's Cooking from the Pantry book and was REALLY good, my husband who rarely raves about anything, commented about 10 times that this was really good :biggrin: )

daikon kimchi

cabbage kimchi

Japanese rice

Catfish marinated in lime and chipotle and cumin served with avocado and tomato salad; caramelized red onion and white cheddar mashed potatoes; fried green tomatoes with garlic semolina crust; roasted corn and cherry tomato sautee. Served with a 2002 Hugues Beaulieu Picpoul de Pinet Coteaux du Langedoc.

fbb291b3.jpg

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Catfish marinated in lime and chipotle and cumin served with avocado and tomato salad; caramelized red onion and white cheddar mashed potatoes; fried green tomatoes with garlic semolina crust; roasted corn and cherry tomato sautee.  Served with a 2002 Hugues Beaulieu Picpoul de Pinet Coteaux du Langedoc.

fbb291b3.jpg

Sounds and looks beautiful, Dean.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Pear, walnut, blue cheese and romaine lettuce salad with italian dressing and pear juice mix.

Reprised the cherry cola ribs I made on July 4th -glaze came out better and thicker this time

Coated with cherry cola, cherry preserves, dijon mustard with horseradish, soy, hot sauce.

Baked first and then grilled.

Russet potatoes sliced cooked with milk, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Bing Cherry clafoutis.

Spent a big chunk of the day pounding 7 foot steel fenceposts into the ground and it was 110 degrees out.

This resulted in a rather simple (and cold) dinner.

Spicy Gazpacho garnished with Crab, Avocado, cilantro and finely diced vegetables.

quite tasty actually

fanatic...

We had a quick salad of buffalo mozzarella, garden tomatoes, basil, and balsamic while dinner was cooking. For dinner we had grilled strip steaks, corn on the cob, and roasted butternut squash.

With a 375ml bottle of 94 ridge monte bello.

I celebrated the receipt of my official eGullet T-Shirt (for finishing 1st in maggiethecat's fusion cuisine episode of the "Literary Smackdown") by making an all eGullet recipe dinner:

Pasta Bible Pasta, Pancetta-Embossed Chicken & Roasted Cauliflower. Followed with a cheese plate and fruit. The visiting in-laws were impressed anyway... :smile:

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Saturday dinner:

couscous salad with roasted kabocha and sugar snap peas, dressing heavily laced with sriracha

potato and onion fritatta

cheese plate

dessert:

watermelon

Homemade calzones (okay, I didn't grind my own Italian sausage, but everything else was mine), salad, plonk. Gotta figure a way to keep the cheese from oozing out of the calzones. I've tried a fork, pinching & rolling, egg wash glue, etc. In short, just about everything I can think of short of stapling. Any suggestions?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com