• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Friday night the kids were begging for curry, the Japanese kind, so...

vegetable curry of potato, onion, carrot and broccoli topped with a freshly deep fried (frozen) beef and potato corroke (croquette)

Japanese rice

cranberry rakkyo (pickled onions) for me

shio rakkyo (salt pickled onions) for my husband

dessert:

tiramisu

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Chicken saute with tomatoes, artichoke hearts, stock, tarragon, shallots.

Rutabega/turnip/bacon gratin

Aussie shiraz for now, when it's done, Jekel Chard.

Still more (the end) of the peach lavender sorbet.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

We decided to start putting our tiny yard (actually it's pretty big by Tokyo standards, but tiny anywhere else) to use, after finally admitting defeat on the gardening front (over three years here and everything I plant dies!). We bought a cool bamboo bench and a cheapo hibachi, and last night our very first backyard meal was:

Grilled veggies (bell peppers, eggplant, 'eringi' mushrooms) and tomatoes marinated in olive oil and dressed with basil, feta and black olives

Jerk chicken

Sekihan (store-bought), a Japanese rice dish made with beans. It was a nice substitution for Jamaican 'rice and peas'.

I also had green beans ready for sauteeing and corn waiting to be shucked and boiled. But the romance of bbqing under the stars, plus several glasses of a nice German Riesling, rendered me lazy and useless...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Sat. dinner:

lasagne with roasted eggplant, zucchini, and onions and mozarella, parmasean and a roasted tomato sauce

green salad with sherry vinegar and EVOO and lots of croutons

Sunday dinner:

Korean style fried chicken, marinated with galic (a lot), ginger, soy sake, sugar, sesame oil and kojuchang, then mixed with an egg and some potato starch and deep fried

tteok (Korean mochi-rice cakes) stirfried with cabbage, carrots, and scallions in a kojuchang sauce

Chinese cabbage kimchi

cucmber kimchi

daikon kimchi

Japanese rice

dessert:

chocolate chips, was tpp lazy to actually make the cookies :sad:

Sat. dinner:

lasagne with roasted eggplant, zucchini, and onions and mozarella, parmasean and a roasted tomato sauce

It was HOT Saturday! How do you use your oven without heating up the whole house? Do you use it all summer?

Once August hits we usually eat out if we want something hot.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Garlicky crispy chicken , from the article about JJVR's retaurant 66 in the July issue of Food and Wine. Served with plain white rice and a crunchy mango slaw (under ripe mango, red chilli, gomasio, sesame oil and lime juice). The chicken was rubbed in Chinese five spice and refrigerated for a few hours then it was doused with what the recipe calls a syrup made of vinegar, brown sugar, water and BAKING POWDER!! It was then refrigerated overnight and fried in a wok. Served sprinkled with garilc fried in oil. Delicious and crispy, however this bit about putting baking powder into a marinade/syrup struck me as kind of odd since I've never seen it before. What could it add to the dish. Maybe F&W meant to say add corn starch or something?? Does anyone know why would you add baking powder?? The only explanantion that I came up with is maybe to neutralize some of the vinegars acidity.

fbbdc621.jpg

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

beef tongue bulgogi...i usually do pork, but i saw this at California Market today, shaved almost paper thin, and i thought, what the heck. it's very tender, very lean...i may never go back to pork.

with a typical assortment of panchan...seasoned fish cake, spinach, and my favorite, cucumber kimchee.

oh, and a bottle of soju. with peach juice.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

Sat. dinner:

It was HOT Saturday! How do you use your oven without heating up the whole house? Do you use it all summer?

Once August hits we usually eat out if we want something hot.

yes it was hot! but I wasn't actually in the house. I put the stuff in the oven then went outside to chase the kids around, when the timer (in my pocket) went off I took out one tray and then put in the next..

Last evening a quite nice Certified Angus top sirloin, rubbed with s & p + Aleppo pepper, grilled over mesquite.

Beef sliced thinly, arrayed over fresh white corn macque choux with tomatoes.

Butter lettuce dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

LBB sourdough thickly sliced and briefly grilled.

Cline Syrah.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Dinner party time again!

Starters. Just decided to go for quick snacks rather than a formal sit down starter as I didn't have much time to prepare and wanted to concentrate on a good main course and dessert. Ended up with home made bread sticks and marinated olives, and also cherry toatoes stuffed with goats cheese.

fbbaa8b3.jpg

fbbaa8b0.jpg

Main course. Slamon mi cuit on a bed of braised cabbage with a horseradish sauce and beetroot foam. I LOVE MI CUIT! It isn't like cooking at all! Two short blasts of heat to get the oil up to 35-40 C and then just leave it for 40 min. I didn't have to run around keeping my eye on anything, making sure it wasn't burning, etc., just pop in evey 10 mins, stick the digital thermometer into the oil to check if it needed heating up again and that was it. Mi cuit gives you plenty of time to drink with your guests.

Horseradish sauce was different from what I was expecting; was basically runny horseradish mashed potatos, good flavour though.

Beetroot foam didn't foam enough. Made plenty of mess though. :biggrin:

fbbaa8ae.jpg

Dessert. Mango imperial cake with strawberry sorbet.

Have had better luck with a green apple imperial cake, but decided to change the main ingredient for something a bit more summery. Don't think the mango had the right depth of flavour for this dessert though. The mangos themselves were really good, and when you got to the diced mango layer of the cake it was quite nice, but the mango mousse topping just wasn't up to scratch.

Strawberry sorbet was good, but needed a bit more sugar (probably should have let it soften a bit more before I tried to form quenelles out of it as well).

Sugar 'spider' decoration was a lot of fun though, guests had a great time seeing how many legs they could knock out before the dessert fell over.

fbbaa8a8.jpg

-Bruschetta: Grilled homemade Pugliese bread topped with preserved eggplant, sliced garlic and thinly sliced red chilies

-Spaghetti with Italian sausage, green peas, onions, and mushrooms in a light tomato sauce. Sprinkled with chili flakes and Parm cheese.

-Dessert: Rice pudding with raisins, slivered almonds, cinnamon and rosewater.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

4th of july: Farmer's market fresh Mozz, Basil, Vine Tomatos, and EVOO. Grilled Swordfish(EVOO S+p), and Grilled Tuna steaks(soysauce S+P). Also steamed 3 doz little necks in white wine, butter, garlic, red pepper flakes. Grilled thinly sliced new potatos and Vidalia onions in olive oil, chili powder, s+P.

5th of July(at a friend's house with nothing but a charcoal grill...kitchen is under construction): 3 large live dungeoness crabs halved, slathered in olive oil and lots of Salt and Pepper, and grilled. Whole yellowtail covered in sesame oil s+P, stuffed with fresh ginger, garlic, and scallions, and grilled.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

Back in Chicago, back to the old grind.

Tamales.

Black beans.

Uh, PBR. Only thing in the house. Besides water, and I don't touch that stuff. :wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Tuesday dinner:

beef and potato corroke (croquettes)

kenjiru-- a soup of satoimo (type of taro), carrots, konnyaku, tofu, scallions and a handful of tteok (Korean rice cakes) and some shinshu miso added

corn and gobo salad

daikon kimchi

soy simmered konbu and shiitake

Japanese rice

dessert:

donuts (brought over by my MIL)

Never posted on the dinner thread before - and something tells me I won't be a regular. (It's too embarrassing to post my dinners after reading Jinmyo's or torakris'.) But tonight's meal was great - fried rice made with leftover pork spare ribs, onion, scallions, garlic and sesame oil. Ahhhh . . . pork! Actually, I ran out of oil and the rice seemed to be sticking too much, so I added butter. :biggrin: My husband surprised me by coming home early, so that's all we had. No sides. No desserts. But it was enough.

Ladybug, sometimes I eat cereal for dinner but I still post on this thread. You should too. :biggrin:

Tonight:

Vegetarian chili.

White-cornmeal cornbread. I ate the crispy beurre-noisette corner pieces, my partner Erin ate the softer middle pieces.

My homemade sour cherry jam.

Tonight:

Vegetarian chili.

White-cornmeal cornbread. I ate the crispy beurre-noisette corner pieces, my partner Erin ate the softer middle pieces.

My homemade sour cherry jam.

What recipe do y'all make the white-cornmeal cornbread from, Malawry? I was just today looking at my sack of stone ground white cornmeal come all the way from Brevard, NC and wondering what to make first.

I love the beurre-noisette corner pieces, too; unfortunately, so does Socrates, and we end up fightin' over 'em!! :wink:

Hope you're feeling multitudes better, Jin. Uh, pork done how?? :huh:

Thai Larb Balls, poached and deep fried:

larbball2.jpg

The recipe is forthcoming, we are still tweaking it.

These are a test-run for the NY Potluck coming up.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pan-fried Spencer Steak with Port wine pan sauce with green peppercorns enriched with demi-glace

Corn on the Cob

Tempura fried Squash Blossoms (stuffed with herbed ricotta)

Homemade Scharfenberger Truffles

fanatic...

Pizzas with buffalo mozz, grilled zucchini, red bells,etc. The buff mozz is just awesome. Without a doubt, worth the price. (as long as we don't have it too often!!!)

Stop Family Violence

Xanthippe, I adapted the recipe on the back of the package. I tested a bunch of hushpuppy recipes for my final project at school, using both yellow and white cornmeal. The winning recipe used self-rising white cornmeal, which is pre-blended with flour and baking powder. I have so much cornmeal of various types leftover from these tests that I've been making a lot of cornbread to use it up. (Cornbread is more popular than polenta in my house.) This recipe is basically two cups of the self-rising meal, an egg, 1 1/3 cups milk (I used buttermilk) and some sugar. Pour into a preheated pan in which 2tbsp butter has been melted. Bake hot, 450 degrees, 20 minutes or so. It's all right, not amazing like the hushpuppies but not bad especially when you slather it with the jam. I think yellow cornmeal cornbread is better.

Tonight:

Toasted bagel with thinly sliced red onion and homemade gravlox

A thick-sliced farm market cucumber, sea salt, scrape of pepper

Santa Barbara Olive Company Martini Olives

I'm thinking ice cream for dessert. :hmmm: